Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Free agency?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Free agency?

Unread postby jb » Fri May 06, 2011 5:10 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fa9321/article/unofficial-list-of-potential-2011-free-agents?module=HP_headlines&module=HP_headlines

If and when it begins, anyone think we'll be active on the DL or for another DB or LBer? A reserve RT as pashos insurance for the man of glass? I'd like jamaal Brown to be a longer term solution.

Justn babin and Bobby McCray are interetsing. In all seriousness, would like Big Money back at the right price. Shaun Smith, not so much.

Keith Bullock as another vet other side of Fujita if he has any gas left in tank?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Free agency?

Unread postby hiko » Fri May 06, 2011 6:59 pm

jb wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fa9321/article/unofficial-list-of-potential-2011-free-agents?module=HP_headlines&module=HP_headlines

If and when it begins, anyone think we'll be active on the DL or for another DB or LBer? A reserve RT as pashos insurance for the man of glass? I'd like jamaal Brown to be a longer term solution.

Justn babin and Bobby McCray are interetsing. In all seriousness, would like Big Money back at the right price. Shaun Smith, not so much.

Keith Bullock as another vet other side of Fujita if he has any gas left in tank?

FWIW, I did an article a couple weeks ago about the DE/DT Free Agents: http://theclevelandfan.com/cleveland-browns/1-browns-archive/7964-the-browns-outsider-free-agency-dl

I too like Jason Babin, but he'll be pricey. That NFL link doesn't show Restricted FA's, and it lists guys like Cullen Jenkins and Gerard Warren and Shaun Smith as DE's, even though they'd definitely be DT's in a 4-3 (especially our 4-3). There's always the immortal Jayme Mitchell (RFA).

At DT, I like Anthony Hargrove and Cullen Jenkins a lot, but they may not want to lay down that kind of coin when they have Phil Taylor and Rubin. Maybe get someone like Kris Jenkins as an inexpensive vet backup.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby danwismar » Fri May 06, 2011 7:53 pm

Was it just a dream, or do I remember Heckert saying just after the draft that he envisioned the newly-drafted Sheard and the aforementioned Jayme Mitchell as our starting DE's?...saying at the time how high the FO was on Mitchell.

Maybe that's just because Derreck Robinson is about the only other DE on the roster....you remember Derreck Robinson, right? They have several guys just listed as "DL"...like Robaire Smith and Schafering and some other less stellar talents, but DE is really thin.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:56 pm

danwismar wrote:Was it just a dream, or do I remember Heckert saying just after the draft that he envisioned the newly-drafted Sheard and the aforementioned Jayme Mitchell as our starting DE's?...saying at the time how high the FO was on Mitchell.

Maybe that's just because Derreck Robinson is about the only other DE on the roster....you remember Derreck Robinson, right? They have several guys just listed as "DL"...like Robaire Smith and Schafering and some other less stellar talents, but DE is really thin.

Heckert likes Mitchell, this is true.

Depending on the free agent status crap Heckert sees him and Sheard as the DEs.

Hopefully we get a chance to see what gets Heckert excited about the guy.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby hiko » Fri May 06, 2011 10:52 pm

danwismar wrote:Was it just a dream, or do I remember Heckert saying just after the draft that he envisioned the newly-drafted Sheard and the aforementioned Jayme Mitchell as our starting DE's?...saying at the time how high the FO was on Mitchell.

Robinson is really more of a DT in this 4-3. He's almost 3 bills (295).

The only guys on the roster that I can think of that can play DE are Benard, Sheard, and... well, Roth and Gocong are FA's... uh...
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby jta1975 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:27 am

Hopefully the list will get expanded when the real free agents are available. You see there are none of the 5 year guys on there.

There is a good crop of players in that Vickers "class" of free agents. Guys like Kiwanuka who I think will be highly targeted are not even on the list.

If I had to pick useful DL from that group I would take Raheem Brock for a LDE in the sub "D" and Travis Laboy for some depth and pass rush at RDE...I also expect Heckert to bring a LB he is comfortable with like Mike McCoy and Jauron to get some familiar names maybe Kawika Mitchell..I also expect Heckert to bring in some other guys he is comfortable with like Quintin Mikell, or Michael Lewis. Jauron might get one of his guys and get a Donte Whitner(he took him with the 8th pick in the draft).

Can't wait until a ruling
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Unread postby JCoz » Mon May 09, 2011 12:20 pm

Read a PD article today and they spent the whole time talking about RFA's as the most sensible targets....wanted that 15 min of my life back.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon May 09, 2011 12:34 pm

Donte Whitner apparently has interest in coming here.

Would give us some depth in the secondary.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon May 09, 2011 12:41 pm

Triple-S wrote:Donte Whitner apparently has interest in coming here.

Link? When did he mention this?
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon May 09, 2011 12:53 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Donte Whitner apparently has interest in coming here.

Link? When did he mention this?

http://twitter.com/DONTEWHITNER

2nd tweet.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby JCoz » Mon May 09, 2011 1:04 pm

Right. Of course, there is the little matter of him still being under contract with the Bills that makes it quite a bit less intriguing.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon May 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Whitner is linking the article in yesterdays PD. Grossi mentions that the Browns could show interest IF Buffalo doesn't want him. I don't see it as Whitner stating he has interest in Cleve. Just linking an article where he's mentioned and has a picture.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL