Text Size

College Sports Arena

Ramzy Sacks Herbstreit

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Ramzy Sacks Herbstreit

Unread postby danwismar » Thu May 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Excellent piece by Ramzy at 11W on the Kirk Herbstreit flap.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/05/concrete-blonde
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: Ramzy Sacks Herbstreit

Unread postby furls » Thu May 05, 2011 3:35 pm

All great points, where is the moral outrage over Cam Newton and so on....

Seriously, all Pryor and co. did was sell their own shit. Yes, they broke the NCAAs rule and they should be in trouble for that, but you mean to tell me that none of these guys on other teams have sold their bowl swag wii or PS3 or sweatshirt or jacket or gift card? Fucking ridiculous. Tressel is the only real story here. He lied and he shouldn't have. I have buried some bodies professionally, but I have never lied about it when asked.

Herbstreit is a guy that has gone to such pains to make himself "objective" that in his efforts to distance himself from OSU that he has actually made more of his OSU ties than anyone else would've if he had just handled it like Robert Smith or Chris Spielman. Frankly I cannot stand the guy and I don't think he is very good at what he does. I want you to think long and hard about the last time Herbie said anything and you were like, "wow, that is a great point. I never realized that." His stuff is only slightly more insightful than the senile version of John Madden.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu May 05, 2011 4:36 pm

Thanks Dan. I just did a lot of reading up on Herbie and other things (including Vern Mangold's fantastic article from 6 years ago) and it clued me into why so many Buckeyes have no use for Herbie.

Truthfully, I didn't really understand the animosity towrd the guy on here and other places. However, that's probably because I haven't really heard much that he said for the last 5 years. I've been wroking every saturday in that time and I DVR Buckeye games and watch them later. I didn't think about it but I haven't seen GameDay in a long long time, and haven't heard much of what Herbie has said either. I just figured the guy was doing what he needed to do to be objective.

But, after reading a lot of this stuff...yeah, the guy seems to be a bit of a douche.

Huh. It's honestly news to me.

Hey, at least I found Ramzy. He's new to me too. So thanks Herbie. :thumb up:
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby danwismar » Thu May 05, 2011 5:22 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Hey, at least I found Ramzy. He's new to me too. So thanks Herbie. :thumb up:

For me, Eleven Warriors, O-Zone, and "Along the Olentangy" (now that they have Ross Fulton contributing) are the Cadillacs of Buckeye blogs. Ramzy is a fairly new contributor at 11W...he has worked with Bucknuts.com in the past...and I think, still does...on Twitter at @ramzyn

Links to "Everything OSU" here: http://bit.ly/ge6k6F
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu May 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Great read, Dan. Thanks alot.

I've often thought of running away from here because of the constant "pizza knowledge" abuse I endure.

Herbstreit want to be a martyr.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby danwismar » Fri May 06, 2011 1:01 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I've often thought of running away from here because of the constant "pizza knowledge" abuse I endure.

I hear Nashville is nice. (I kid, I kid.)

danwismar

Unread postby noles1 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:37 pm

This article and everything that is brought up about Herbie's move fails to mention the most simplistic reasoning behind his move.

Guy has bagged 1/2 the broads in C-Bus and could no longer exercise his inner Tiger unless he got out of town.

He can play the "protecting kids card" but anyone who has been around the Upper Arlington area (namely around golf course) knows about his "legendary" conquests. He can hide andmasquerade around all the other bullshit but it's the most obvious reason of all. Wifey dropped an ultimatum on his ass...
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Return to College Sports Arena