Text Size

College Sports Arena

Conference Recruiting/Player Development

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Conference Recruiting/Player Development

Unread postby gnati » Tue May 03, 2011 1:06 pm

gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: Conference Recruiting/Player Development

Unread postby danwismar » Tue May 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Really interesting...and fairly surprising in spots. How 'bout the Bearcats in the Top Ten? I need to spend some more time on this. Thanks for posting.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: Conference Recruiting/Player Development

Unread postby furls » Tue May 03, 2011 10:10 pm

I love the article, very interesting and some pretty cool conclusions. The first thing I do when I read a report with surprising conclusions or outrageous results is I look at the underlying assumptions for faults and there are some here. Essentially, his underlying assumption is that players are rated for talent correctly. Each player does not actually have to be rated correctly because of the large sample size, you would expect some cancellation in error and so on.

But what really hurts this analysis is regional recruiting bias. Basically, if kids from the midwest are routinely underrated and kids from the southeast are routinely overrated it would explain these results in a much more likely manner. I don't think the bias is that bad, but it is significant in this case. Generally, I think borderline guys in the heavily recruited south get more attention and get rounded up to the next higher star, borderline guys in the midwest don't get as much hype and get rounded down. The bias doesn't affect every player, but may affect as many as 1/2. Think about it, did anyone in OH really think AJ Hawk was a 3*? Had he been from FL, he would have been a 4*. Since recruiting is largely regional, a regional bias would skew these numbers pretty badly.

THis would also explain the poor SEC showing in all categories and the strong Cincy showing. Cincy feasts on underrated 3* OH kids that just missed OSU offers. This study may actually more accurately show that Tressel and Ferentz are better than the recruiting services at assessing talent!
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena