Text Size

No Holds Barred

Osama Bin Laden Killed, Body in US Custody

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Re: Osama Bin Laden Killed, Body in US Custody

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:56 pm

So that Pakistani guy that accidentally live tweeted it was obviously a plant by the US gov't
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon May 02, 2011 1:58 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:So that Pakistani guy that accidentally live tweeted it was obviously a plant by the US gov't

What's that old phrase, "Trust in God, everyone else needs verification"? Or something like that.

Pakistani twitters aren't verification enough for me.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon May 02, 2011 2:11 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:
Orenthal wrote:I told CDT someone would come out complaining. Oh and the celebration was complained about too, or maybe just how they celebrated.

FWIW, not in message board land but here in real life, I just spoke with a coworker who lost their mother in the World Trade Center. She is upset with the street celebrations because that is what many in the muslim world did after al Qaida attacked us.

I myself thought that the street celebrations were pretty awesome until I heard her perspective. Now my views are tempered, but I still think it was kind of cool.

I can respect that POV.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:17 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:You going diving in the Ocean to find it herm?

No, because it probably isn't in the ocean, because we're probably being lied to as to exactly how, where and when this went down.

Of course it ain't in the ocean.

This is the old "We took Sparky to the farm where he could run and play with other dogs" bullshit. Some muslims will sleep better believing it.

Who gives a shit. It's the right lie to tell.

And times, dates and methodologies will not be hidden. Can't stand up to time.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby danwismar » Mon May 02, 2011 2:33 pm

peeker643 wrote:
hermanfontenot wrote:

No, because it probably isn't in the ocean, because we're probably being lied to as to exactly how, where and when this went down.

This is the old "We took Sparky to the farm where he could run and play with other dogs" bullshit. Some muslims will sleep better believing it.

Trying hard to come up with a coherent rationale for saying we buried him at sea when we didn't. Seemed to me like a legit attempt to pacify outraged Muslims. What's our upside to holding on to a rotting corpse? Don't get this line of thinking at all.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:46 pm

danwismar wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
hermanfontenot wrote:

Trying hard to come up with a coherent rationale for saying we buried him at sea when we didn't. Seemed to me like a legit attempt to pacify outraged Muslims. What's our upside to holding on to a rotting corpse? Don't get this line of thinking at all.

I have a hard time believing they shot him, wrapped him in flowing whites and then flew him 700 miles to the nearest 'sea' after finding a muslim cleric to perform 'last rites'. I think he's in a hole, cave or freezer somewhere awaiting his last great indignity.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon May 02, 2011 2:52 pm

Would it have been appropriate to do with the bin Laden carcass what Italian partisans did to Benito Mussolini in 1945 when they found out he was trying to quietly escape to Switzerland?
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby danwismar » Mon May 02, 2011 3:20 pm

My guess is that Muslim leaders, like folks here, will want to see proof that we did what we said we did. Surely we were thorough enough to have videotaped the process at every step to document it, right?

Now the judgement call is...do we "defile the dead" by showing the tape or allowing it to leak to the public, or just endure the doubts of the skeptics. Something tells me the Muslim world will be outraged either way.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon May 02, 2011 3:54 pm

danwismar wrote:Now the judgement call is...do we "defile the dead" by showing the tape or allowing it to leak to the public, or just endure the doubts of the skeptics.

If we've got tape, I say defile away.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z

Unread postby Lubber » Mon May 02, 2011 4:47 pm

danwismar wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
hermanfontenot wrote:

According to some reports, a burial at sea for these folks is highly frowned upon. So perhaps this was the USA's way of saying F - U to the towel heads.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:55 pm

Then I could see them traveling 700 miles out of their way to drop his ass.

Point is is that no radical muslims will be appeased by following muslim burial protocol and the people who extracted that body aren't dignitaries and have all lost friends/family/both in the last ten years because of that asshole.

If you think they're going out of their way to follow protocol I think you're mistaken. I do think they'd go out of their way to follow literal protocol if it also meant fucking with that PoS as well though.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Frankly, I am with dan but in a bit of a different way.....

The biggest FUCK OFF you can give someone is by showing how much better than them you are. This goes to exhile's point on the celebration thing.

Us Doing The "Proper" Thing is the biggest middle finger I have ever seen given, thus I believe they did it.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:13 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Frankly, I am with dan but in a bit of a different way.....

The biggest FUCK OFF you can give someone is by showing how much better than them you are. This goes to exhile's point on the celebration thing.

Us Doing The "Proper" Thing is the biggest middle finger I have ever seen given, thus I believe they did it.

Maybe. I still have a hard time buying it given the distance to the Arabian Sea and the general disdain the professionals who extracted him would have. Their way of showing how much better they are would be to throw him in the nearest pre-dug hole and walk away like it was a 40min jog on the beach.

That'd be more in line with them being bigger and badder than the whole fucking nation of Islam.

I really doubt he mae it to the sea unless in some way that would have been , as Lubber mentioned, less than what the radicals would have preferred. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:15 pm

My biggest question on that is, was he dropped off on a flight to an AC?

That makes the most sense to me.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:23 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:My biggest question on that is, was he dropped off on a flight to an AC?

That makes the most sense to me.

Helos wouldn't have come from an AC 600-700 miles away. Although that doesn't mean they didn't leave the extraction site and put him on a plane that was headed to a carrier.

I dunno. Never a part of that life or that scene so I don't what of I speak. I do know those spec ops, seals, etc are wired differently than pretty much anyone. We may never know what happened to that human bag of shit.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:41 pm

A burial at sea (or dumping his carcass overboard) means that his gravesite does not one day become a holy shrine.

The only part that was in observance of Muslim custom was a burial within 24 hours after death.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon May 02, 2011 6:43 pm

They dumped him in the sea. Which is smart move considering he was a decaying corpse, and it means his body can never be recovered.

They'll release the pictures just like Uday, Qusay, and Zarqawi.

No need for taking him alive, dead is bettah.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:54 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:They'll release the pictures just like Uday, Qusay, and Zarqawi.

They have to don't they? If they time stamp his forehead all the better. Because there are already people out there who don't believe a word of this.

And Donny, from an operational standpoint I agree that OBL was not quite irrelevant but well on his way. But from a sense of national pride/shame you just couldn't let the dude they did you like that live a comfortable life in a hut or an uncomfortable one in a cave, right?

Dude HAD to go down if for no other reason than to serve notice that shit like that costs you your life at one time or another. Whatever the cost in dollars.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon May 02, 2011 7:15 pm

They have to don't they? If they time stamp his forehead all the better. Because there are already people out there who don't believe a word of this.

We have a name for those people; "Retards". Those people who don't believe it aren't going to have their minds changed unless they get to jackoff on the corpse.

This would be a conspiracy theory in the same vein as 9/11. No one could pull it off, too many moving parts and people to keep qiuet.

He's fucking dead. As we speak his remains are probably be excreted from the anus of a shark.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 02, 2011 7:17 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:He's fucking dead. As we speak his remains are probably be excreted from the anus of a shark.

At least until some crazy Islamic fundamentalist claims that his body washed up on shore.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon May 02, 2011 7:20 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:He's fucking dead. As we speak his remains are probably be excreted from the anus of a shark.

At least until some crazy Islamic fundamentalist claims that his body washed up on shore.

In burials at sea I think they use weighted and sealed caskets to ensure that doesn't happen. Now maybe he wasn't stuck in a box and they just tossed him overboard like trash.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 02, 2011 7:21 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:In burials at sea I think they use weighted and sealed caskets to ensure that doesn't happen. Now maybe he wasn't stuck in a box and they just tossed him overboard like trash.

Should've strapped 50 lbs of C4 to him instead and made sure it detonated before he hit the water.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby FUDU » Mon May 02, 2011 7:22 pm

The first news of the killing came in the 9th inning of a baseball game with the score tied 1 to 1.

Did you hear what I said, holy freaking shit, one of a dozen baseball games being played on the day OBL died had a score of 1 to 1 in the 9th, that makes 911!
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Lubber » Tue May 03, 2011 11:18 am

peeker643 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Frankly, I am with dan but in a bit of a different way.....

Maybe. I still have a hard time buying it given the distance to the Arabian Sea and the general disdain the professionals who extracted him would have. Their way of showing how much better they are would be to throw him in the nearest pre-dug hole and walk away like it was a 40min jog on the beach.

That'd be more in line with them being bigger and badder than the whole fucking nation of Islam.

I really doubt he mae it to the sea unless in some way that would have been , as Lubber mentioned, less than what the radicals would have preferred. ;-) ;) :wink:

Here is a link which explains what I mentioned above
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/05/02/international/i074426D19.DTL&feed=rss.news
Lubber

Unread postby Lubber » Tue May 03, 2011 11:19 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

In burials at sea I think they use weighted and sealed caskets to ensure that doesn't happen. Now maybe he wasn't stuck in a box and they just tossed him overboard like trash.

Here are the details of how he was buried at sea:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/05/02/Osama-buried-in-North-Arabian-Sea/UPI-51981304368740/
Lubber

Unread postby danwismar » Tue May 03, 2011 12:31 pm

NY Times and other mainstream sources reporting that the names and other information about two of bin Laden couriers which eventually led directly to the locating and killing of OBL, were extracted from KSM and one other top al Qaeda operative when they were subjected to harsh interrogation techniques (read:waterboarding) at CIA prisons in Poland and Romania in 2007 and/or subsequently at Gitmo.

Any waterboarding opponents (you know who you were) rethinking that opposition?...now that we know we'd probably still be looking for the guy had we not used it?

Does the fact that we used the technique on only a handful of high-value prisoners make it more justifiable?

Does the fact that it clearly worked make the arguments of its opponents that "it doesn't work" seem a bit empty and foolish today?

Does the fact that various journalists have undergone the technique with no lasting physical or emotional after-effects...and our own soldiers are subjected to it in training...and that it does no permanent physical damage to its subjects...any of that...make it in retrospect reasonable to say that it walks up to "the line" of torture, but doesn't cross it?

Given the above, you know where I stand...right where I stood before. It's not torture to scare information out of somebody with a technique that he walks away from without a scratch. (And if the mass-murdering terrorist is emotionally scarred in some way, I don't give a flying fuck)

In other words...does all of the above, when coupled with the fact that the hated GWB is no longer in charge of the process, make this practice any less offensive to the people who were morally outraged by it five or so years ago?

Just wondering.

danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:20 pm

I give credit to Obama for not shutting down G'Mo and not stopping with what is no longer called torture but rather 'Advanced Interrogation Techniques'.

There has never been an issue with employing the technique far as I'm concerned. Not when it was torture and not now that it's been given a cute, little bunny's name.

Still wish they woulda tased OBL instead of putting two in his head though. Better yet if a cop had done it instead of a SEAL. Cops busting out their tasers is cruel and deadly and that's what he deserved. ;-) ;) :wink:

And it sickens me too that they walked into a sovereign nation like a buncha chopper-riding cowboys and iced a guy before trying him.

:hide:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby danwismar » Tue May 03, 2011 3:44 pm

Actually, Obama did rule out any further use of waterboarding, and made a great grandstanding show of what he called "outlawing torture" too. If I may make some points about double standards in media treatment of anti-terror practices...

He did continue to employ Gitmo, other offsite prisons, unlimited detention of combatants without charge, rendition, predator drone strikes, other targeted killings, military tribunals, and many of the other terror-fighting practices that he railed against during the campaign as way to smear Bush. I'm not being critical of him for continuing to use these techniques. They were sensible and necessary wartime practices then, and they are sensible and necessary wartime practices now. Just don't expect any apologies...or acknowledgments..from anyone on the BDS left that they are still doing under the Democrat all the things they said were war crimes for 7 years under a Republican. The double-standard would be astonishing if we weren't so used to seeing it employed.

What's different now is the way those practices are treated by the media, and by the suddenly comatose "anti-war" movement. Now that we're in three wars instead of two, those "rallies", the highly publicized "body counts" and all the rest, have shrunk to next to nothing. Why is that?

Another example is the disparate treatment of the recent Afghan "kill team" story, and the Abu Grahib incident under Bush. Abu Grahib was front-page news in the NYT for 40-some consecutive days, and it involved non-lethal abuse of Iraqi prisoners by a small isolated group of a few US troops. The recent kill team incidents involved the intentional killing of (dozens?) of Afghan civilians by a small, isolated group of US troops...and it generated almost nothing in the media. The scale of the abuses don't even compare, yet one was a horrific indictment of our military and by implication its C in C. The other way more serious abuse, barely a blip on the media radar. The difference is the party of the President. Period.

And don't expect any intellectual honesty or consistency from the Israel-hating left next time the Israelis pull off a targeted assassination of a Hamas terrorist, just because they were perfectly OK with Obama doing the exact same thing with OBL. They will concoct a distinction somehow.

Cindy Sheehan is the same raving loon that she was five years ago, and still making crazy conspiratorial statements (see yesterday, for example). The difference now is that she is no longer useful to the left as a grieving parent to exploit to beat Bush over the head, so she no longer makes the nightly news on a regular basis.

Hope this is lucid...and not sarcastic...not a farce, and heaven forbid, not partisan. It's mostly an observation on media priorities...not a criticism of our president...just to be clear.

danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Tue May 03, 2011 4:19 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:
Orenthal wrote:because that is what many in the muslim world did after al Qaida attacked us.

Yah, I'm with that perspective.

I'm not feeling a whole lot of emotion one way or the other regarding the street celebrations aside from the fact that they just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me....

I mean I guess I just find it weird that thousands of Americans were dancing in the streets celebrating the US killing a guy that killed so many Americans. Just an odd choice to react that way IMO.

I mean whatever, free country and all, but it def seemed a bit more Muslim extremist than Joe Six Pack American IYAM.

I would describe my own feelings when finding out as muted relief followed by the realization that it didn't really move the needle much in the grand scheme of things. That it took a decade certainly removes plenty of the excitement for me.

At this point the sad truth of the matter is that it means alot more to Obama's future political career than it does towards winning that "war" as far as I can see.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 03, 2011 5:50 pm

Any waterboarding opponents (you know who you were) rethinking that opposition?...now that we know we'd probably still be looking for the guy had we not used it?

Not one bit.

Does the fact that we used the technique on only a handful of high-value prisoners make it more justifiable?

No.

Does the fact that it clearly worked make the arguments of its opponents that "it doesn't work" seem a bit empty and foolish today?

Nope. To me, wrong is wrong.

Does the fact that various journalists have undergone the technique with no lasting physical or emotional after-effects...and our own soldiers are subjected to it in training...and that it does no permanent physical damage to its subjects...any of that...make it in retrospect reasonable to say that it walks up to "the line" of torture, but doesn't cross it?

Once. They went through it once.

lol. You could've just addressed the post to me, I wouldn't have been offended.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue May 03, 2011 7:13 pm

http://www.americantorture.com/labels/D ... eaver.html

http://www.americantorture.com/labels/D ... eaver.html

The document below constitutes the minutes from a meeting held at Guantanamo in early autumn, 2002. It is presented with minimal editorial comment, as I believe it speaks for itself. So far as I know, no other transcription of this document, minus certain excerpts, has ever been published or posted before. It is done so here as a public service, to promote the position that prosecution of the government's torture crimes is of paramount importance.

Cast of characters:
Lt. Col. Diane Beaver, the Staff Judge Advocate at Guantanamo; Lt. Col. Jerald Phifer, who sent a memo to Maj. Gen. Michael E. Dunlavey, Commander of Joint Task Force (JTF) 170, requesting approval for more "severe interrogation techniques" (Dunleavy told a superior that Phifer was his "point of contact" on interrogation matters); Major John Leso, a military psychologist, who was present at the torture interrogation of Mohammed al-Qahtani(Leso, like Major Burney in the minutes, were members of the Behavioral Science Consultation Team [BSCT] -- Burney is reportedly a psychiatrist -- last month, the Convening Authority of Military Commissions at Guantanamo dropped the charges against al-Qahtani, concluding his treatment amounted to torture); Dave Becker, representing the Defense Intelligence Agency; and John Fredman, then chief counsel to the CIA's counter-terrorism center.

I'd like to make only two observations that I think are relevant at this point. One, it is clear that coercive interrogations amounting to torture had already begun at Guantanamo prior to this October 2002 meeting. In the document itself, the participants have a general discussion recalling how prisoner "063", Mohammed al-Qahtani, "has responded to certain types of deprivation and psychological stressors," indicating, perhaps, that al-Qahtani was some kind of experimental test case. (H/T to Trudy Bond, who noted this fact in an article published at Counterpunch earlier this year.)

Secondly, it struck me when transcribing these minutes the degree to which John Fredman, the CIA legal counsel and rep to this meeting, dominated the discussion. All the participants seem to bow to his authority, especially on legal issues, with Lt. Col. Beaver chiming in as well. While the BSCT members -- who are the medical professionals present -- appear to criticize "fear-based" interrogations techniques at the beginning of the meeting, in favor of rapport-building, as well as abusive environmental "approaches," as the discussion veers more and more to propositions regarding blatant torture, like the "wet towel" (waterboarding) technique, nary a protest is heard from these individuals, who have by their actions disavowed the ethics of their medical and/or psychological professions.

I ride motorcyles with General Mike Dunleavy, who is also a judge..He thinks Waterboarding is cool

No I'm not shittin ya.... I also have a picture of me shaking hands with Paul Wolfowitz :thumb up: [for jb, especially].... just cuz I had the opportunity
Last edited by Fire Marshall Bill on Tue May 03, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 03, 2011 7:16 pm

Is Wolfowitz a wee tiny guy?

He looks like a midget.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue May 03, 2011 7:30 pm

hermanfontenot wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:So that Pakistani guy that accidentally live tweeted it was obviously a plant by the US gov't

What's that old phrase, "Trust in God, everyone else needs verification"? Or something like that.

Pakistani twitters aren't verification enough for me.

"In God I trust...
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue May 03, 2011 7:32 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Is Wolfowitz a wee tiny guy?

He looks like a midget.

Yeah he's under 6' but to be fair, everyone's a midget in your world
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby danwismar » Tue May 03, 2011 7:55 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:lol. You could've just addressed the post to me, I wouldn't have been offended.

I thought about you, dude, but you weren't the only one. Thanks for weighing in. It's all about the conversation. Different strokes....

danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 03, 2011 8:05 pm

danwismar wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:lol. You could've just addressed the post to me, I wouldn't have been offended.

I thought about you, dude, but you weren't the only one. Thanks for weighing in. It's all about the conversation. Different strokes....

To be honest, I have no problem with using the Predator, targeted killings, or military tribunals.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Tue May 03, 2011 8:11 pm

Just to keep this place fair & balanced I never think about you CDT.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 03, 2011 10:15 pm

FUDU wrote:Just to keep this place fair & balanced I never think about you CDT.

Bullshit. You think about me all the time.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue May 03, 2011 11:41 pm

Tweet from Steve Martin

SteveMartinToGo Steve Martin
by dwismar
I was fishing yesterday in the North Arabian Sea, when, I swear, Osama Bin Laden's body fell on my head. That settles it. NO MORE POT.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho

Unread postby danwismar » Wed May 04, 2011 12:43 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:To be honest, I have no problem with using the Predator, targeted killings, or military tribunals.

You know, a real nit-picking asshole might come in here and point out the logical or moral inconsistency in saying it's OK to drop a missile in a suspected terrorist's living room, blowing him, his wife and kids, and anyone else in the building with him to smithereens, but it's inexcusable and morally wrong to pour water on his face.

danwismar

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:05 pm

I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 04, 2011 1:27 pm

danwismar wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:To be honest, I have no problem with using the Predator, targeted killings, or military tribunals.

You know, a real nit-picking asshole might come in here and point out the logical or moral inconsistency in saying it's OK to drop a missile in a suspected terrorist's living room, blowing him, his wife and kids, and anyone else in the building with him to smithereens, but it's inexcusable and morally wrong to pour water on his face.

Aren't you a Christian?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby danwismar » Wed May 04, 2011 1:48 pm

I am, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic of the logical/moral inconsistency I brought up.

danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 04, 2011 2:03 pm

danwismar wrote:I am, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic of the logical/moral inconsistency I brought up.

You wouldn't consider all you advocated above to be morally inconsistent with your following in the teachings of Jesus Christ?

How do you reconcile that?

no snark intended
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby danwismar » Wed May 04, 2011 2:32 pm

First off, I didn't "advocate" for much of anything above....other than stating my belief that waterboarding is somewhere short of torture, IMO.

You turned the question around to my beliefs rather than address the confusing logic behind yours....which I guess I can compress into "targeted killings are OK, but waterboarding is not". I'll continue to await your answer.

I suppose my Christian values would tend toward a statement of the reverse of that...one being non-lethal, and all. That said, while it's always dicey to get into "good vs evil" characterizations, I think a mass murderer of innocents...one sworn to commit additional mass murders at his first opportunity, could be safely placed on the "evil" side of that register. Evil must be confronted and fought by good. Christianity is not wholly synonymous with pacifism, despite its "turn the other cheek" teaching. Any thinking person...religious or not..is conflicted by the horrors of war and the wrenching decisions we must make to preserve what we all (I think) view as an objective "good"....freedom. I'm not prepared to quote Aquinas on "just war" theory, but I believe there is such a thing.

As far as reconciling waterboarding with a general belief in "do unto others...", I guess if I were captured by an enemy, I would want them to "do unto me" by simulating drowning to get the information they wanted rather than use the blowtorches, pliers, genital electrodes or whatever else they might have at their disposal.

danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 04, 2011 3:04 pm

You turned the question around to my beliefs rather than address the confusing logic behind yours....which I guess I can compress into "targeted killings are OK, but waterboarding is not". I'll continue to await your answer.

Targeted killings I accept as a part of the war. Just like they did with Uday, Qusay, and Zarqawi in Iraq.

Waterboarding IMO is torture ( you don't consider it so and that's fine, different strokes and all), and my personal belief is untill John Yoo tried changing the rules by redfining it as EIT 2002 we've never used it, relying on the skill of of Intell people.

There's a difference IMO between holding a person in custody and waterboarding them many times over, than say target killing a guy on the battlefield.

And Jesus faced Global Terrorist on a much much larger scale, the Romans.

Oh and BTW don't knock genital electrodes until you try them.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby danwismar » Wed May 04, 2011 3:26 pm

John Yoo did his job...which was to give legal advice to his superiors, so they could provide guidance to operatives dealing with complicated ethical issues. That he was targeted for criminal prosecution for having policy differences with the political opposition at the time is a disgrace, and a dangerous precedent, no matter what side you're on.

danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 04, 2011 3:39 pm

danwismar wrote:John Yoo did his job...which was to give legal advice to his superiors, so they could provide guidance to operatives dealing with complicated ethical issues. That he was targeted for criminal prosecution for having policy differences with the political opposition at the time is a disgrace, and a dangerous precedent, no matter what side you're on.

Hey we agree on something! I don't want Yoo prosectuted either, he's just a toadie. I disagree with what he did, but it'll turn into a tit for tat thing. "You prosecuted my guy so i'm gonna do the same to your boy huurrr!".
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:13 pm

I wonder if there are any stats on this. That would help us understand it all. :hide:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:15 pm

peeker643 wrote:I wonder if there are any stats on this. That would help us understand it all. :hide:

:tool:
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to No Holds Barred