Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who They Should Have Taken

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Who They Should Have Taken

Unread postby hiko » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Yes, this is different than the other threads. This one only activates when the Browns go on the clock at each pick and we know who is available for picking. You can post "your pick" while the Browns are on the clock or after, and then we can reference this years from now when you claim you wanted/didn't want [enter player here] and this thread says differently.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: Who They Should Have Taken

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:46 pm

hiko wrote:Yes, this is different than the other threads. This one only activates when the Browns go on the clock at each pick and we know who is available for picking. You can post "your pick" while the Browns are on the clock or after, and then we can reference this years from now when you claim you wanted/didn't want [enter player here] and this thread says differently.

SD:

I'll go first

He played for Auburn and it wasn't Fairley .

Its he who shall not be named the #1 pick in the draft
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:33 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Becasue we're drafting number one overall

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Reading is fun-duh-mental

Unless you're reaching for Wes Bynum to replace Phil
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Locked. I will unlock when Browns are on clock.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby yogi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:50 pm

With Marcel, Peterson and Green gone, Im ok with a trade down. Withi Locker going b4 Gabby, that means no one was hot for him and the trade with Falcons was nice in my book.

Now, we'll have to address this tread again at pick 27. I'm hoping for Heyword or maybe a monumental fall of one of the other DEs, like Kerrigan.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:01 pm

yogi wrote:With Marcel, Peterson and Green gone, Im ok with a trade down. Withi Locker going b4 Gabby, that means no one was hot for him and the trade with Falcons was nice in my book.

Now, we'll have to address this tread again at pick 27. I'm hoping for Heyword or maybe a monumental fall of one of the other DEs, like Kerrigan.

heywood would be nice , Butt Austin might be one of the best lineman in this draft right up there with Dareus and Fairley .

I'll take either , also Costanza is still out there and Little might be more productive than julio Jones when you look back over there careers.

Ideally we Pick Marquiz Wilson and land our QB on the defense.

Thats my pick
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:20 pm

I sit with 27 and hope for Austin
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:22 pm

Not Phil Taylor

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:25 pm

I would have stayed put at #27, saved the 3rd round pick, and taken Carimi/Costanzo or Cam Heyward.

Or Phil Taylor at #27.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:27 pm

swerb wrote:I would have stayed put at #27, saved the 3rd round pick, and taken Carimi/Costanzo or Cam Heyward.

Or Phil Taylor at #27.

Yep. I think we gave a 3rd round away for nothing really. Taylor probably would've been there at 27.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:29 pm

swerb wrote:I would have stayed put at #27, saved the 3rd round pick, and taken Carimi/Costanzo or Cam Heyward.

Or Phil Taylor at #27.

SD:

Its a head scratcher , but with his size maybe they were thinking two fer one :)

he looked svelte at 340 is that possible.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Right, cause Hwecket has no tie to the next team picking
jb

Unread postby yogi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Id have stayed at 27 and kept our 3rd round pick at 70 which would have been maybe Little. I would have chosen either Jordan or Bowers and maybe Taylor would still be there.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:57 pm

stay at 27 and take Carimi or Jimmy Smiff

Hope Taylor is worth a potential starter.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby hiko » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:21 am

Well, after the whole trade down-trade up thing, I think I probably would've sat tight at 27 and seen if Phil phell.

But, if we're looking at this purely as who I would have drafted at 21... I would've given serious thought to Tony Costanzo and Jonathan Baldwin prior to Taylor.

But I have no problem with Taylor from Baylor. I think he was a lot better than most of the picks that could've been made at that point. Dude is huge, like the Titanic wishes it was Phil Taylor cuz then it would've just busted through that pussy-ass iceberg.

I just wish we didn't give up such a nice piece of our dragon's hoard to move up to get him.

But as my brother in law told me after the pick - you just know that Baltimore would've taken him at 26 if we waited to get him at 27. Probably right. Stupid purple fuckers.
hiko

Unread postby pup » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:52 am

With some time to reflect on it, I like the pick. On the spot I would have taken Costanzo, but DL was a bigger need and this is the guy they wanted from the get go.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:25 am

pup wrote:With some time to reflect on it, I like the pick. On the spot I would have taken Costanzo, but DL was a bigger need and this is the guy they wanted from the get go.

Point of degrees , because its a damn shame that in this draft we could have thrown a dart on the board and damn nar found improvement at any position.

The one thing about Philly's 43 is they're quick but they're all runts and easily rooted out , we definitely won't be having they problem with Rubin and Doctor phil
SoulDawg74

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:25 am

I am no football mind. We are changing from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Looking at the personnel, doesn't it look like we are going to play a 4-3 with a 3-4 mentality??

I mean, its like we will have two MGs to eat up blockers to free up our LBs. In fact, with the emphasis on speed at DE, too, its almost like we will be playing a 4-3 with a 3-4 mentality that actually plays out like a 2-5 (2 MGs, and 5 composed of DEs and LBs being quick, aggressive defensive playmakers).

Again, I don't know much about football, but it sounds that way.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:31 am

I at first was kind of melty about this..but a good nights sleep cleared things up.

The Browns couldn't get that ultimate impact guy they wanted..so why waste a ton of cash on the Robert Quinn/Nick Fairley's of the world, and go get a solid starting player on the defensive line to help on run-support.

Wait and see attitude with this guy, much like I had about Ward last year. I trust that Heckert and Holmgren know what the f-- they're doing.

I love the fact that they have two firsts next year as well, and they picked up another 2nd today. Should be interesting to see how those go. Browns need to hit on at least 2 of their first 3 picks this year for this to be a successful draft imo.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:40 am

They aren't the only first round talents being downgraded due to medical red-flags, I'm being told. Baylor defensive tackle Phil Taylor, himself a veteran of 43 games played, is also under scrutiny. Apparently during his Combine check, there were various injuries that caused teams some concern, the most serious of which involves both feet. Taylor, according to MRIs taken at the Combine, has bones growing together in his feet. The condition, which according to the source is not correctable through surgery, is a pain tolerance issue. Considering that Taylor played much of his senior season at 330-340 pounds - and has allowed his weight to get into the 380s in the past - teams are concerned that his weight will only make the injury tougher to handle

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1673342
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby andrew6586 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:42 am

Ok guys, a lot has been said about Phil Taylor already. Some think it's a good pick, some think it's garbage. I've had a night to think about it and here's my take.

First of all, I LOVE the trade H&H made with Atlanta last night. We got some great picks. It was nice to see a trade for good value on draft day. As far as Taylor goes, I was upset and very worried at first. However, now that I have had time to think about it, the more I like the pick. He can stop the run and take up double teams. However, there is a flip side to this: we need to rush the QB. The Taylor pick only makes sense if we get a pass rusher tonight. That's what we need most now. We need a DE to put pressure on the QB more than anything. H&H look like geniuses if they are able to get a pas rushing DE to compliment Taylor and none of us will be questioning them.

As far as the second pick tonight goes, I am not sold on a WR. The question you have to ask yourself if this: are any of these wide receivers better than MoMass and Cribbs/Robiskie? I am not sold on that being the case. Yes, Hankerson, Smith and Young looked good at the combine but do not have the speed/size to be a legit number 1. I think that we should go with OLB or O lineman with our second 2nd round pick. We can get a WR either next year or via free agency.

That's my take on the first 2 rounds. Please be kind with your responses ;-) ;) :wink: Go Browns!
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:52 am

andrew6586 wrote:Ok guys, a lot has been said about Phil Taylor already. Some think it's a good pick, some think it's garbage. I've had a night to think about it and here's my take.

First of all, I LOVE the trade H&H made with Atlanta last night. We got some great picks. It was nice to see a trade for good value on draft day. As far as Taylor goes, I was upset and very worried at first. However, now that I have had time to think about it, the more I like the pick. He can stop the run and take up double teams. However, there is a flip side to this: we need to rush the QB. The Taylor pick only makes sense if we get a pass rusher tonight. That's what we need most now. We need a DE to put pressure on the QB more than anything. H&H look like geniuses if they are able to get a pas rushing DE to compliment Taylor and none of us will be questioning them.

As far as the second pick tonight goes, I am not sold on a WR. The question you have to ask yourself if this: are any of these wide receivers better than MoMass and Cribbs/Robiskie? I am not sold on that being the case. Yes, Hankerson, Smith and Young looked good at the combine but do not have the speed/size to be a legit number 1. I think that we should go with OLB or O lineman with our second 2nd round pick. We can get a WR either next year or via free agency.

That's my take on the first 2 rounds. Please be kind with your responses ;-) ;) :wink: Go Browns!

SD:

You misspelled Little , I'd have no problem if they quit building the defense at 37 and added a major offensive stud in the vein of Julio Jones .

Kid makes hines ward look like a sissy.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:08 am

Who would I have taken at 6? Fairley

After the trade? Carimi
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:24 am

OldDawg wrote:I am no football mind. We are changing from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Looking at the personnel, doesn't it look like we are going to play a 4-3 with a 3-4 mentality??

I mean, its like we will have two MGs to eat up blockers to free up our LBs. In fact, with the emphasis on speed at DE, too, its almost like we will be playing a 4-3 with a 3-4 mentality that actually plays out like a 2-5 (2 MGs, and 5 composed of DEs and LBs being quick, aggressive defensive playmakers).

Again, I don't know much about football, but it sounds that way.

Read up on the Tampa 2 vs what you think as a 4 - 3. You put two ginormous DT's that are not moveable inside. Then you pair them with 2 very light, very fast DE's who line up waayyyy outside the OT's shoulders and sprint to the QB . They top out at 260 rather than 285.

Heckert told you what he was doing when he said his ideal DE topped out at 250. Essentially, the Tampa 2 version of the 4 - 3 is a 2 - 5 athelete-wise.

I like the pick. THE Baylor Bear is essentially Casey Hampton for the next decade, and Big Tyba is similar.

The next pick absolutely screams Brooks Reed or Justin Houston to me.
jb

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:34 am

jb wrote:

If both were available, wouldn't you take Wilson over Reed for that OLB spot?
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:36 am

Reed would be a DE, not OLB.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:37 am

JCoz wrote:
jb wrote:

Nope. Reed is a DE in this system , and I am in man-love with kid's first step & he ran a 4.68.
jb

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:41 am

jb wrote:
JCoz wrote:
jb wrote:

Nope. Reed is a DE in this system , and I am in man-love with kid's first step & he ran a 4.68.

Wilson ran a 4.41 I think.

In the system you are talking about above, it would seem Wilson does all those things you'd need a bit better than Reed.

6-4, 250, 4.41, can play ILB, OLB, and even an End if you are accurate in your descriptions of this defensive system.
JCoz

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:45 am

JCoz,

Wilson's skill set and versitility intrigues me, but correct me if I am wrong, didnt Zook move him from OLB to ILB? Just wondering why...maybe his pass rush ability aint all that? I honestly havent read much up on the player, so just speculating.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:48 am

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:JCoz,

Wilson's skill set and versitility intrigues me, but correct me if I am wrong, didnt Zook move him from OLB to ILB? Just wondering why...maybe his pass rush ability aint all that? I honestly havent read much up on the player, so just speculating.

He did, however is that speaking to Wilson's outside ability, or the Illini roster and current needs?

I tend to side with the idea that he played where they needed him to.

And extremely well, at that.
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:49 am

JCoz, I don't think versitility has any value whatsoever in this system. Wilson is an OLB to me. Who knows? I could be wrong. They are similar sized but I don't see similar football skills.
jb

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:51 am

jb wrote:JCoz, I don't think versitility has any value whatsoever in this system. Wilson is an OLB to me. Who knows? I could be wrong. They are similar sized but I don't see similar football skills.

I think versatility, while possibly not a value in the defensive system, could be a boon to the Browns drafting options in this and next years draft.

Just talking here, I dont have an issue with a Reed pick, just would slightly prefer Wilson given the opportunity to draft one of the two.
JCoz

Unread postby jerryroche » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:15 am

I'm thinking that having Rubin/Taylor plugging up the middle helps quite a bit in pass coverage, because the MLB is now a little freer to take bigger drops and roam around the defensive backfield. Helps immensely to take away the short middle zone, including quick slants. Plus, since you've now got two Hulks in the middle, you've also got one DE and one OLB on each edge to stuff the running game.

Sound right? Correct me if I'm wrong.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:49 am

jerryroche wrote:I'm thinking that having Rubin/Taylor plugging up the middle helps quite a bit in pass coverage, because the MLB is now a little freer to take bigger drops and roam around the defensive backfield. Helps immensely to take away the short middle zone, including quick slants. Plus, since you've now got two Hulks in the middle, you've also got one DE and one OLB on each edge to stuff the running game.

Sound right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

SD:

Dude has to cover sideline to sideline , Wilson at OLb is a waste , man him in the middle and you got a monster .

Its his natural position , so all he does is ramp his game up to this level instead of both learning a new position and learning the speed of the pros.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:16 pm

At 37 Austin, Paea, Reed
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby pup » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:18 pm

At 59, Brandon Harris.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby hiko » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:06 pm

At 37, I wanted Reed. But since Sheard is kind of exactly the same player, I'm not overly stressed.

At 59, I wanted Randall Cobb. Little is more of a high-potential kid, but also a potential prima donna dipshit a la Braylon. This is already a fairly sizeable WR corps, I thought they needed more of a smaller speed guy. Still, if Little turns out to be Brandon Marshall (and he's got that potetial, both on and off the field), that was a great pick.
hiko

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:35 am

At 37 - Reed. I'm fine with Sheard, but think Reed has a better first step.

At 59, Greg Little. Great, great pick.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:22 am

pup wrote:At 59, Brandon Harris.

Agree 100%, Harris was the right pick there IMO.

Could have picked up doss in the 4th and sanz in the 5th to grab wrs.
JCoz

Unread postby yogi » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:50 am

JCoz wrote:
pup wrote:At 59, Brandon Harris.

Agree 100%, Harris was the right pick there IMO.

Could have picked up doss in the 4th and sanz in the 5th to grab wrs.

I think Little may well be the pick we remember most from this draft in 10 years. In a good way.

I loved both picks and on board with what has been donw to date.

Maybe I wouldnt have traded away a 3rd to move back up to get Taylor and hope he fell, but then it seems like he was the target of Heck and you cant blame him for moving to get the guy he wantyed.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:04 am

First time in a long time I'm fine with what they've done all around- They had three guys they woulda picked at 6 and none were left so they hammered the Falcons.

Then they went to solidify the line and got that done. Not concerned with losing the 3 since they got an extra two already. Heckert sees it as house money and uses the 3rd to get his guy that NO and Phil were also on.

Sheard is one of three or four DEs that woulda fit and I've loved Little for 6 weeks (did think 6 weeks ago he'd have been there later).

I'm good. Now they need to develop but I see a plan and a philosophy and a dedication to it. First time in 12 years.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:29 am

peeker643 wrote:First time in a long time I'm fine with what they've done all around- They had three guys they woulda picked at 6 and none were left so they hammered the Falcons.

Then they went to solidify the line and got that done. Not concerned with losing the 3 since they got an extra two already. Heckert sees it as house money and uses the 3rd to get his guy that NO and Phil were also on.

Sheard is one of three or four DEs that woulda fit and I've loved Little for 6 weeks (did think 6 weeks ago he'd have been there later).

I'm good. Now they need to develop but I see a plan and a philosophy and a dedication to it. First time in 12 years.

I'm actually pretty happy, absolutely loved the trade down, and I do think all three could be good players, and the only one I didn't like was little, not because he's not talented, but because there are plenty of wr's in the 4th and 5th.

Whatever, I really don't care if the picks were nailed.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:37 pm

JCoz wrote:
peeker643 wrote:First time in a long time I'm fine with what they've done all around- They had three guys they woulda picked at 6 and none were left so they hammered the Falcons.

I'm actually pretty happy, absolutely loved the trade down, and I do think all three could be good players, and the only one I didn't like was little, not because he's not talented, but because there are plenty of wr's in the 4th and 5th.

I predict you'll end up really liking the guy you like least right now. Just a prediction.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Ziner » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:39 pm

Did we just draft Evan Moore? Would have rather had Doss, Acho, Matthews.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:44 pm

I would have taken Chris Carter, DE there. I just dont see TE as a need right now.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby jb » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:38 pm

Sam Ancho > Jordan Cameron
jb

Unread postby jb » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:39 pm

Ross Homan > Marecec
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:06 pm

peeker643 wrote:
JCoz wrote:

I predict you'll end up really liking the guy you like least right now. Just a prediction.

I seriously had to double check who were you responding to, I figured it was SD.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby hiko » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:24 pm

Jordan Cameron pick - would've taken Kendall Hunter as a 3rd back and a safety pick in case Hardesty is cursed.

Don't hate the pick, he's got tons of athleticism, we can afford a couple years for him to develop, doesn't have to start right away.

Owen Marecic pick - would've taken Marcus Cannon and moved him to Guard (groom him for RT).

Even though I'll probably end up loving this guy, don't love the pick. Just not a huge need, especially with Vickers likely being Restricted if they play under 2010 rules. Should've been LB, CB, or OL.

Buster Skrine pick - still Marcus Cannon.

Fine with this pick, we need CB's, have never seen the guy play, small but fast, probably a nickel or dime guy, can't say a bad thing about taking him here.
hiko

Unread postby mistero » Mon May 02, 2011 12:12 pm

Like the trade back, Do not liike either trade ups.

My picks:

26- M.Wilkerson DT
37- J Sheard
59-B Harris CB
70- J Houston DE
102- S. Acho DE
124 D House CB
137 M Cannon OG
168- G McElroy QB
170 V Green TE
248 M Herzlich LB
In Chud We Trust