Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Official Draft Day Thread (Rumors and Picks)

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Pats and Browns rumored trade

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:16 pm

Business is picking up during draft week as calls are being made all across the NFL.

One report of interest from the Boston Globe Thursday states the Cleveland Browns have had discussions with the New England Patriots about Cleveland's sixth overall pick. The Browns have made it no secret they are open to trading down in the draft to acquire more picks, and New England has more quality selections than any team, including two in the first round.

According to the draft value chart many teams use, Cleveland's No. 6 pick (1,600 points) would require New England's No. 17 and No. 28 picks (total of 1,610 points) to get equal value. If the Patriots are willing to part with both first-rounders this year, the Browns should definitely consider it. There's also a combination of picks in the later rounds New England could put together, along with one first-round pick, to equal the same value.

Cleveland has a lot of holes to fill, including defensive end, defensive tackle, wide receiver, right offensive tackle and safety. So a trade down could help plug some of these holes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... king-trade

I think, if Green and Peterson are off the board, you take this.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Official Draft Day Thread (Rumors and Picks)

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:38 pm

UPDATE: If the New England Patriots do want to trade up to the No. 6 pick to grab Robert Quinn (or someone else), ESPN AFC North blogger James Walker writes that they have the trade ammo to do so, and it's a package that would likely be acceptable to the Cleveland Browns (see below).

---

The Patriots are always busy wheeling and dealing during the draft, and with three picks in the Top 33, they've got the ammunition to move up considerably if they so desire. Greg Bedard of the Boston Globe passes along word from a league source that the Pats have talked to the Browns about the No. 6 pick, with Quinn as the likely target.

James Walker-
"According to the draft value chart most teams use, Cleveland's No. 6 pick (1,600 points) would require New England's No. 17 and No. 28 picks (total of 1,610 points) to get equal value. If the Patriots are willing to part with both first-rounders this year, the Browns should definitely consider it. There's also a combination of picks in the later rounds New England could put together, along with one first-round pick, to equal the same value. Cleveland has a lot of holes to fill, including defensive end, defensive tackle, wide receiver, right offensive tackle and safety. So a trade down could help plug some of these holes."
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Pats and Browns rumored trade

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:39 pm

If those 2 and Dareus are off the board, you do this in a millisecond. Hell, even if they're still on the board you think long and hard about it.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Re: Official Draft Day Thread (Rumors and Picks)

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:59 pm

17 is a little too low for my blood.I'd want their number 2 as well.

Big dif in talent AFAIC. Too Mangini-esque.

Ask yourself; if BB would want you to do it, why would you?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby hiko » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:15 pm

jb wrote:17 is a little too low for my blood.I'd want their number 2 as well.

Big dif in talent AFAIC. Too Mangini-esque.

Ask yourself; if BB would want you to do it, why would you?

I was about to say their number 3 - still a pretty valuable pick. But I'll gladly take their #2 if they offer it.

If Peterson, Dareus, Green, and Miller are all gone, I do the trade down. Comparable players can be had at 17 and 28.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:23 pm

jb wrote:17 is a little too low for my blood.I'd want their number 2 as well.

JJ Watt and Marvin Austin with 17 and 28
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby hiko » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:27 pm

From Peter King:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/28/nfl-draft-preview/index.html?eref=sihp

The hot team: Cleveland.

Now the Browns could sit where they are in the first four rounds -- at overall picks 6, 37, 70 and 102 -- but I'd be very surprised. I'm told GM Tom Heckert has an itchy trigger finger this morning, and is looking forward to dealing out of number six if the Browns' preferred pick is not there. If Gabbert's there, as Mayock and Gosselin project he will be, there's a chance the Browns could get a good extra pick (from Tennessee, moving up two spots) or more (from a QB-needy team down in the round). Cleveland could be the team that thinks it could turn its first-round pick into a good second-rounder in this draft, a first-rounder next year, and something else.

Remember a couple of things about Cleveland: Heckert learned from working under Trader Andy Reid, and he's not scared of losing out on a player by moving a few spots. Club president Mike Holmgren, from observing Bill Walsh and Ron Wolf and from his own beliefs, loves to wheel and deal too. Heckert and Holmgren strongly trust their gut about players. Say they want a pass-rusher and franchise receiver badly. They're the types who's say, "We'd rather have Titus Young and Brooks Reed this year, and an extra one next year, than Robert Quinn or Julio Jones this year.'' The Browns could end up sitting tight, but if their guy or guys aren't there, they'll move.
hiko

Unread postby hiko » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Jay Glazer just said on NFLN that Atlanta is looking to trade up to Cleveland's pick for Green or Jones. I'm sure that would require a lot, since ATL's way down at 27.

I'd ask for 27, their 2nd, their 3rd, and their 1st and 3rd next year.

Oh, and Matt Ryan. :partyers:
hiko

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:53 pm

hiko wrote:From Peter King:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/28/nfl-draft-preview/index.html?eref=sihp

The hot team: Cleveland.

Now the Browns could sit where they are in the first four rounds -- at overall picks 6, 37, 70 and 102 -- but I'd be very surprised. I'm told GM Tom Heckert has an itchy trigger finger this morning, and is looking forward to dealing out of number six if the Browns' preferred pick is not there. If Gabbert's there, as Mayock and Gosselin project he will be, there's a chance the Browns could get a good extra pick (from Tennessee, moving up two spots) or more (from a QB-needy team down in the round). Cleveland could be the team that thinks it could turn its first-round pick into a good second-rounder in this draft, a first-rounder next year, and something else.

Remember a couple of things about Cleveland: Heckert learned from working under Trader Andy Reid, and he's not scared of losing out on a player by moving a few spots. Club president Mike Holmgren, from observing Bill Walsh and Ron Wolf and from his own beliefs, loves to wheel and deal too. Heckert and Holmgren strongly trust their gut about players. Say they want a pass-rusher and franchise receiver badly. They're the types who's say, "We'd rather have Titus Young and Brooks Reed this year, and an extra one next year, than Robert Quinn or Julio Jones this year.'' The Browns could end up sitting tight, but if their guy or guys aren't there, they'll move.

SD:

Some diffeernt numbers with the same trading pardner

Greg Bedard Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... nn/?page=2

"""ESPN reported that the Patriots have shown an interest in moving up. A league source said the Patriots have spoken to the Browns about the sixth pick and Quinn would be the likely target, although receiver Julio Jones and cornerback Patrick Peterson cannot be discounted.

The Patriots could package the 17th and 28th picks to move up. Or the 17th, 60th (second round), 74th (third), and perhaps a late pick.

They still would have the flexibility and ammunition to add many parts later in the draft, or spin some of the picks for selections in 2012. They still would be in a position of strength."""
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:54 pm

nope...give me 17th and 28th or get lost bb.

3 picks in the top 50? yup.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:54 pm

hiko wrote: Comparable players can be had at 17 and 28.

From 6?

Couldn't disagree more.

It's all Alex mack to me.
jb

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:56 pm

No way for the first second and third.

Take both firsts or dance with someone else.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:06 pm

Put me in the I want the impact player that can be gotten with the 6th pick camp.

I fear it doesn't go down that way.

However here is a thought, looking beyond this season, if the brain trust feels/knows we will still be some sort of bottom feeders this year (even with rookie talent coming on strong) is it possible they are looking ahead to stock piling some picks for next season, in a run for Luck? Colt could easily still have ?'s after this season (even if he improves), especially with little WR help this year. We probably won't have the worst record this season but it is reasonable (right now) to think we'll be picking in the top 4-7 again, no?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:08 pm

pup wrote:No way for the first second and third.

Take both firsts or dance with someone else.

SD:

Not to worry The Patriot talking head Stacey Dale , just squashed that rumor.

No way the Pats are moving up to six.

Figures ,Mumbles wouldn't piss on us if we were on fire , let alone give us a crumb to get healthy
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:34 pm

per ESPN insider (don't think they'll care this gets out, OBR on the other hand..I will keep my lips zipped on)

For the past few weeks, it's appeared that the Denver Broncos' decision at No. 2 overall would come down to Alabama defensive lineman Marcell Dareus or Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller. With just hours to go before the draft -- and Cam Newton all but officially sealed to the Carolina Panthers at No. 1 -- we're getting strong indications that they've made their pick.

According to Rob Rang of CBSSports.com, the Broncos are "infatuated" with Miller, and this jibes with reports we've heard from our reporters, draft experts and the local folks in Denver as well.

Thursday afternoon, however, Jay Glazer of Fox Sports reported that the Falcons are indeed trying to move up into the draft's Top 7, targeting teams such as the Arizona Cardinals, Cleveland Browns and San Francisco 49ers in an attempt to land A.J. Green, Julio Jones or Patrick Peterson.

Last week, former Buffalo Bills wide receiver Andre Reed caused a stir by tweeting a message to Florida State quarterback prospect Christian Ponder that he was excited to be calling his name as the team's second-round pick, before deleting that tweet and hedging on the message a bit.

Ponder certainly makes sense as the Bills' second-round pick (No. 34 overall) if they don't elect to draft a QB with the No. 3 pick. And on the morning of the first-round of the draft, Ponder's offensive coordinator, James Coley, had another intriguing tweet: "One word... Buffalo." (H/T to Evan Silva of Rotoworld for the catch).

Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:36 pm

so, if the double-speak is to be believed.

Gabbert could be available to Cincy or the Cards, which really helps our chances in landing who we could possibly want in the Peterson/Green sweeps.

Triple-S

Unread postby hiko » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:38 pm

jb wrote:
hiko wrote: Comparable players can be had at 17 and 28.

From 6?

Couldn't disagree more.

It's all Alex mack to me.

When we traded back, Freeman and Maclin went right around there.

I'd rather have Freeman than Sanchez.

So, unless you're getting one of those super-elite Donkeykong Suh type players, you certainly can get comparable quality in the middle.

For instance, how huge is the difference between, say, Robert Quinn and, say, Aldon Smith/Cameron Jordan/JJ Watt/Ryan Kerrigan? Maybe his ceiling is a little higher, but there's a big chance that one of those other guys is just as successful/more successful than Quinn.
hiko

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:40 pm

hiko wrote:For instance, how huge is the difference between, say, Robert Quinn and, say, Aldon Smith/Cameron Jordan/JJ Watt/Ryan Kerrigan? Maybe his ceiling is a little higher, but there's a big chance that one of those other guys is just as successful/more successful than Quinn.

ding-ding-ding-ding.

we have a winner.

Triple-S

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:40 pm

hiko wrote:For instance, how huge is the difference between, say, Robert Quinn and, say, Aldon Smith/Cameron Jordan/JJ Watt/Ryan Kerrigan? Maybe his ceiling is a little higher, but there's a big chance that one of those other guys is just as successful/more successful than Quinn.

Half those guys are eliminated due to sceme. I slso think Smith will be long gone by 17.

personal bias - stay the hell away from Mamuligan.
jb

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:56 pm

Colt McCoy ColtMcCoy

Who do I want tonight seems to be the pressing question.. I trust Heckert, Holmgren, Shurmer to make the right calls! They know what we need 7 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

Colt has obviously been lurking and seeing peekers posts about the matter.

Triple-S

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:58 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/04/mike_holmgren_says_high-risk_g.html

So says the GM who picked Koren Robinson 9th overall.

FWIW
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:00 pm

If you're in the driver's seat, drive a hard bargain. I'd want 17, 28 and 60 from Bellichick. Let him keep 33, and we draft 17, 28, 37 and 60.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby daddywags » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:23 pm

Triple-S wrote:Colt McCoy ColtMcCoy

Who do I want tonight seems to be the pressing question.. I trust Heckert, Holmgren, Shurmer to make the right calls! They know what we need 7 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

Colt has obviously been lurking and seeing peekers posts about the matter.

Our QB doesn't know how to spell his head coach's name? Oh boy.
daddywags

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:55 pm

OH SNAP.

anyone else see demaurice smith calling out goddell?

I keep expecting it to go John Chaney soon.

Triple-S

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:04 pm

Smith and Goodell are the two biggest cunts on the planet.

I hope he gets pelted with refuse when he goes to the mic the first time.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:22 pm

jsbrownsinsider

#Browns Browns are talking to "six or seven teams" about moving down in the draft. Patriots isn't one of them, a source said.

Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:37 pm

TheOBR

There is a very strong possibility that the Browns will dealing the No. 6 selection.

Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:38 pm

"We want football, We want football"..

Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:54 pm

Glazer is claiming the Browns are working out a deal with Atlanta for the 1,2 and next years 1st...are shitting me?

Triple-S

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:05 pm

And IT begins....
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Cam is 1
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Ohh damn! Now we won't get to draft him.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:08 pm

SD just died a little
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:09 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Ohh damn! Now we won't get to draft him.

Cecil just called AMEX to up the limit on his credit card.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:11 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Ohh damn! Now we won't get to draft him.

Cecil just called AMEX to up the limit on his credit card.

His church need another wing?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:11 pm

All that offseason angst for SD, over. /tear
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby yogi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:12 pm

no surprise, rumor is Miller is next to Denver
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:13 pm

1. Newton
2. Miller
3. Peterson?

Triple-S

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:14 pm

Now Dareus.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:14 pm

WAAAAAAAA! I just made millions of dollars WAAAAAAAA!!
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby yogi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:14 pm

3 picks before ours, Peterson, Darius or Green still on board. One has to be left or we are shopping Gabbert. its that simple
Last edited by yogi on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:15 pm

WTF is with the glasses, dude?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Who is the first guy drafted not from the SEC or Big 12 (10?)
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:17 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:WTF is with the glasses, dude?

He is nearsided, dude.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:20 pm

STUD
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Here come the Bungals!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Darius..

so...Peterson, Green go next? or does Arizona go QB?

Triple-S

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:21 pm

pup wrote:Here come the Bungals!

Please be Gabbert
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:22 pm

Does whoever the Bungles draft have to report to a parole officer immediately?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby trsteve1 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:23 pm

No Cable.. watching the draft on my smart phone.. gotta love technology =)
Le sigh
trsteve1

Favorite Player: Nolan Ryan
Least Favorite Player: Troy Aikman

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL