Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

West Side Market

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

West Side Market

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:15 am

Thinking about heading to the West Side Market tomorrow morning and was wondering if anyone has extensive experience shopping there. Any suggests or preferences as to vendors you by from? I'm considering buying some game meat like rabbit, duck, and whatn not but want to make sure I get the best. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
User avatar
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: Mentor
Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Re: West Side Market

Unread postby swerb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:36 am

I love that place. One of my favorite summer days in Cleveland is taking the kids to the zoo, then spending an hour at the WS Market, then coming home and grilling.

I forgot the names of the individual vendors, know them more by their locations in the market.

Always spend 20 min or so walking through the produce section, looking for the best looking fruits and veggies.

Always get some of that real hard core homemade beef jerky.

Always get some fresh olives, pickles.

Always get some homemade Ohio City Pasta.

Whatever you wanna throw on the grill, there are multitudes of options of steaks, burgers, chops, brats, sausages. Picking through all that is the best part. Cold cuts as well.

Gotta get some pastry.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: West Side Market

Unread postby waborat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:56 am

BEST place in Cleveland to shop, bar none...

Been going since the early 70s when my parents would drag me done there...

First of all Rick, if you've never been there, avoid Saturdays, it can be a madhouse. With that said, since it sounds like your going tomorrow, get there early to avoid the crowds or later in the day when the vendors will wheel 'n deal (but your selection will also be less). Once again, if you've never been, then it'll probably take you an hour just to walk thru and check out everything before you start buying. The produce vendors are in the outside (northeast) building and everything else is in the main building...

Places I always hit up:

Sebastians Meats (NW corner)- They have anything you're looking for in beef, pork & veal. Always slaughtered fresh. Try the Ossu Buso. They'll negotiate on quantity.

Kaufmann Poultry (SW corner)- They'll have your rabbit. This place has been around since the beginning, you'll be able to find anything from chicken to duck to quail to squab

Czuchraj Meats (SE corner)- Best beef jerky & smokies anywhere. This is the place Michael Symon had on "Best Things". If it's cured, it's here.

Foster's Meats (NE corner)- If ya want lamb, goat or bison? This is it

Kate's Fish (NE corner)- If it lives in the water, they have it

Mediterra Bakehouse (across from Czuchray's)- Fresh bread & bagels

K&K Bakery (next to Kate's Fish)- If there's a better tasting strudel in town, I've yet to have it

Steve's Gyros (across from Kate's)- If the line isn't too bad, get THE best gyro ever...If you're not hungry then get a pound of meat to go and make em at home, you won't be disappointed

As far as venison, you'll have to search the butchers to see who has what in stock...

Have fun and don't touch any of the outside brick walls because rumor has it, JB pissed everywhere after Iggy's final bell rang
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: West Side Market

Unread postby waborat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:02 am

User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: West Side Market

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:28 am

waborat wrote:BEST place in Cleveland to shop, bar none...

Been going since the early 70s when my parents would drag me done there...

First of all Rick, if you've never been there, avoid Saturdays, it can be a madhouse. With that said, since it sounds like your going tomorrow, get there early to avoid the crowds or later in the day when the vendors will wheel 'n deal (but your selection will also be less). Once again, if you've never been, then it'll probably take you an hour just to walk thru and check out everything before you start buying. The produce vendors are in the outside (northeast) building and everything else is in the main building...

Places I always hit up:

Sebastians Meats (NW corner)- They have anything you're looking for in beef, pork & veal. Always slaughtered fresh. Try the Ossu Buso. They'll negotiate on quantity.

Kaufmann Poultry (SW corner)- They'll have your rabbit. This place has been around since the beginning, you'll be able to find anything from chicken to duck to quail to squab

Czuchraj Meats (SE corner)- Best beef jerky & smokies anywhere. This is the place Michael Symon had on "Best Things". If it's cured, it's here.

Foster's Meats (NE corner)- If ya want lamb, goat or bison? This is it

Kate's Fish (NE corner)- If it lives in the water, they have it

Mediterra Bakehouse (across from Czuchray's)- Fresh bread & bagels

K&K Bakery (next to Kate's Fish)- If there's a better tasting strudel in town, I've yet to have it

Steve's Gyros (across from Kate's)- If the line isn't too bad, get THE best gyro ever...If you're not hungry then get a pound of meat to go and make em at home, you won't be disappointed

As far as venison, you'll have to search the butchers to see who has what in stock...

Have fun and don't touch any of the outside brick walls because rumor has it, JB pissed everywhere after Iggy's final bell rang


Thanks Wabo! I've actually been there a few times but not in a a few years. My bro and I went there just so I could see it but didn't do any shopping. Had some breakfast and beer at WSM Cafe which was excellent. I am looking forward to this adventure and I do plan on getting to West 25th around 6:30. Wanna hit that stuff up at the buttcrack of dawn.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
User avatar
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: Mentor
Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Re: West Side Market

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:29 am

waborat wrote:Czuchraj Meats (SE corner)- Best beef jerky & smokies anywhere. This is the place Michael Symon had on "Best Things". If it's cured, it's here.


Are you sure you don't mean J&J Meats?

http://www.westsidemarket.org/vendor.aspx?id=26

Featuring our homemade beef jerky, as seen on the Food Channel's 'The Best Ting I Ever Ate', with Michael Simon.


Apparently they're not so good with spelling, but I can vouch for their jerky & specialty sausages. They might be the nicest people in the market too.

ETA: Nevermind. It looks like both vendors must be owned by the same people.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: West Side Market

Unread postby waborat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:19 am

HoodooMan wrote:
ETA: Nevermind. It looks like both vendors must be owned by the same people.


Yep, one and the same...

I thought they only had the jerky down at the Czuchraj stand?

Agree w/ Rick that The Cafe has great breakfasts and is pretty cool looking at all the old photos of the market thru the years
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: West Side Market

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Pinzone's for a nice bundle of death for a meat eater. Fresh head of cabbage and some Ohio City Pasta for cabbage and noodles. Michelle's bakery for some pretzel rolls to munch on while walking around. Fresh squeezed juice, and some Dichotomy popcorn from Campbell's Popcorn. Yeah, I can usually spend alot of money down there just on things to eat while walking and watching.

Wabo is right on Saturdays, be prepared to put the shoulders down, cause others won't hesitate.

Last time I went getting a Gyro was a no go. The lines have been so long at times that they made a special queue going back toward the elevator. They are damn good, but feh on lines.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
User avatar
Orenthal
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Midd Heights
Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Re: West Side Market

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:09 pm

I always get a pound of grated parmasean from Anne Marie's Dairy in the northwest corner. You will never eat that Kraft garbage ever again.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
User avatar
Commodore Perry
Old School American
 
Posts: 1392
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:20 pm

Re: West Side Market

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Took my bro in law and his girlfriend (up from Baton Rouge) down there this past Saturday. Got there around 10am and couldn't believe how small the crowd was, especially the day before Easter. In fact there were only 3 people in linbe at Steve's Gyros. About an hour later it began to fill up all over. Got some pierogies from the Pierogi Palace. They really expanded their fillings. Got have a dozen of the "Roman burger" filled pierogies and a doz of thee chicken, bacon, ranch. Wish we had more time and $$ to spend down there though.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
User avatar
Larvell Blanks
 
Posts: 2574
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Medina, Ohio
Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: West Side Market

Unread postby waborat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:10 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Took my bro in law and his girlfriend (up from Baton Rouge) down there this past Saturday. Got there around 10am and couldn't believe how small the crowd was, especially the day before Easter. In fact there were only 3 people in linbe at Steve's Gyros. About an hour later it began to fill up all over. Got some pierogies from the Pierogi Palace. They really expanded their fillings. Got have a dozen of the "Roman burger" filled pierogies and a doz of thee chicken, bacon, ranch. Wish we had more time and $$ to spend down there though.


Yep, crowds weren't bad at all, been there on hump days when the place is a zoo...

Kaufmann's was givin ya a lb of sausage for every $15 spent...

Produce stands were more generous then usual with their wheelin 'n dealin
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: West Side Market

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:24 pm

Commodore Perry wrote:I always get a pound of grated parmasean from Anne Marie's Dairy in the northwest corner. You will never eat that Kraft garbage ever again.


Pame Reg ftw. 2 weeks ago Saturday was a madhouse. This was in a pretty good rain too.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
User avatar
Orenthal
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:18 pm
Location: The Midd Heights
Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Re: West Side Market

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:21 am

Commodore Perry wrote:I always get a pound of grated parmasean from Anne Marie's Dairy in the northwest corner. You will never eat that Kraft garbage ever again.

Thanks for the 411. Gonna do that the next time I'm there.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte


Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests