Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Heckert = HMFIC

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Heckert = HMFIC

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:15 am

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Heckert = HMFIC

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:17 am

Will let you know Thursday night.

If the pick is Green/Jones...that follows the Holmgren path.
Anything else and I believe Tom is calling the shots.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby hiko » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:57 am

I'm a big fan of them taking Green no matter who's in charge.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby yogi » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:07 am

Nice summary.

Yeah, I buy Heck is HMFIC. I like that he has a resume and will seek opinions from Shurmur and Jaron along with sage advice from MH.

I am so happy we arent re-living the dictator nightmares of the past. Butchum, Savage & Manginous. Last year was a breath of fresh air and I look to even better things this year because we now have a coach that is on the same page as our GM and Pres.

I'm optimistic. :thumb up:
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:27 am

hiko wrote:I'm a big fan of them taking Green no matter who's in charge.

It's all about how dumb Mike Brown and Pumpkin Blackburn are. Only a pair of dunces draft a stud WR when they have no QB.

IOW, don't expect AJ to be on the board when we pick.
jb

Unread postby hiko » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:55 am

jb wrote:

It's all about how dumb Mike Brown and Pumpkin Blackburn are. Only a pair of dunces draft a stud WR when they have no QB.

Quite agree. But Green and Peterson are still the 2 "elite" prospects I think have the best chance to fall.

Still crossin' my fingers for the Gabbert-Bengal union.
hiko

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:01 am

I've always bought that Heckert was HMIC. I just didnt see him moving from Phila without the presumption that it was HIS gig. I too, as the article mentions, think the Holmgren-McCoy thing was blown outta proportion. And hey, nothing wrong with a group of guys with similar philosphies actually working as a team.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:02 am

jb wrote:

Bengals seem to like Julio over Green from what I've heard..

I see that happening over them taking Green, however, I do see Green being taken in a rumored trade up with the Cardinals by Matty Ice and the Dirty Birds...

Gotta hope that the Broncos go Darius, Bengals go Gabbert, and the Cards go either Fairley or Quinn for us to have the dream pick of the litter between Peterson and Green.

Also, per an interview, Browns seem to dig Green so much they gave him Colts Number.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:32 am

Also, per an interview, Browns seem to dig Green so much they gave him Colts Number.

Where did you hear/see that? If true, that seems pretty strange, no?

BTW, anyone see Tuna's draft special last night? I missed it, but it sounded interesting.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:38 am

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:

BTW, anyone see Tuna's draft special last night? I missed it, but it sounded interesting.

OBR forums..The cooler.

Prefer my Browns analysis from here, and get my Browns news fix from Twitter and that place.

Tuna's special was very good, and enjoyable. Really got you a better feel of how players are scouted and how a war room is run. I missed the first 30 minutes, but it was enjoyable none the less. He ran down his list of what he sees in criterea of being a successful QB, and If I could go back and watch it later on DVR, I'll list them here.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:56 am

Triple-S wrote:
JacksonDysonJackson wrote:

OBR forums..The cooler.

Prefer my Browns analysis from here, and get my Browns news fix from Twitter and that place.

Tuna's special was very good, and enjoyable. Really got you a better feel of how players are scouted and how a war room is run. I missed the first 30 minutes, but it was enjoyable none the less. He ran down his list of what he sees in criterea of being a successful QB, and If I could go back and watch it later on DVR, I'll list them here.

Was a link posted or was it someone saying that they read it. Would be interested to read that in print.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:04 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:Was a link posted or was it someone saying that they read it. Would be interested to read that in print.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=149&f=1547&t=7459897

claimed he had heard on it Sirius NFL.

Triple-S

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:50 am

Disagree with the premise. Heckert is in charge of the draft - as he should be. There can only be one HMFIC, and it ain't Tom. At least not while Holmgren is selecting the head coach and installing the offense.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:01 pm

hiko wrote:
jb wrote:

Quite agree. But Green and Peterson are still the 2 "elite" prospects I think have the best chance to fall.

I think I'm with JB here.

Larry Fitzgerald is one of the very best. How much good does he do AZ? You can go around the league and ask the same questions of the elite receivers. Just not seeing it.

This pick will be defense and Peterson is not getting past #6 if there. I'm telling ya.... ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:12 pm

So we're trading down?
jb

Unread postby hiko » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:26 pm

peeker643 wrote:
hiko wrote:
jb wrote:

I think I'm with JB here.

Larry Fitzgerald is one of the very best. How much good does he do AZ? You can go around the league and ask the same questions of the elite receivers. Just not seeing it.

This pick will be defense and Peterson is not getting past #6 if there. I'm telling ya.... ;-) ;) :wink:

I think Peterson is the pick if he's there too.

But if Dareus, Peterson, and Miller are all off the board at #6, I think they take Green over Fairley or Quinn. Safer pick.

PS - 3 years ago AZ was in the SB, 2 years ago in the Playoffs. Was he a big part of that success? I vote yes.

Last year... well no WR will be worth a damn if DA is throwing at/near him.
hiko

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:32 pm

Unless they draft a QB, they really can't screw up the #6 pick. All the DL, WR, LB, CB prospects seem to be legit.

And there's the rumor that they are going to pick up another 1st rounder from the vikings.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby hiko » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Unless they draft a QB, they really can't screw up the #6 pick. All the DL, WR, LB, CB prospects seem to be legit.

This is my thought too. And I'd even live with Cam.
hiko

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:19 pm

The only guys I don't like at 6 are any QB, any OL (not that they don't need one, just that there are better players available), Aldon Smith, Bowers, Jimmy Smith or Prince.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Unless they draft a QB, they really can't screw up the #6 pick.

Welp, now we're jinxed.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:00 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote: Welp, now we're jinxed.

Par for the course.

Any validity to the Vikes rumor? Interesting to consider, 6th and 12th this year, lose your second this year and 1st next year.

Would the addition of 2 players this draft make the Browns good enough to put them near the end of the draft order next year?

Peterson/ Jones
Peterson/ Watt
Dareus/ Ayers
Jones/ Quinn

I think there are some real good defenders in this draft, guys who could get the Browns an few extra wins next year (assuming similar production to last season). I haven't looked at next year's draft prospects yet, but it could be a good deal.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:00 pm

pup wrote:If the pick is Green/Jones...that follows the Holmgren path..

I didn't know they were problem drinkers?
jb

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:07 pm

If we go WR at #6 you'll be able to hear the chortles from Pittsburgh and Baltimore.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:20 pm

Erie Warrior wrote: I haven't looked at next year's draft prospects yet, but it could be a good deal.

I did some quick checking, and aside from the top guys, no one really stands out. This of course means nothing right now, but the crux is this:

Can anyone guarantee the Browns won't be the worst team in the league next year? Andrew Luck appears to be the best QB prospect since Manning, and missing out on that would be devastating.

The Browns certainly aren't good, and they certainly aren't deep. When Hillis, Ward or any of the geriatric LBs get hurt next season, they could lose a bunch of games. Steinbach is getting old, and the right side is average at best. I can't say for sure that the Browns won't be in the Luck Sweepstakes in 12 months, so I don't make the deal.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby hiko » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:24 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote: I haven't looked at next year's draft prospects yet, but it could be a good deal.

I did some quick checking, and aside from the top guys, no one really stands out. This of course means nothing right now, but the crux is this:

Can anyone guarantee the Browns won't be the worst team in the league next year? Andrew Luck appears to be the best QB prospect since Manning, and missing out on that would be devastating.

The Browns certainly aren't good, and they certainly aren't deep. When Hillis, Ward or any of the geriatric LBs get hurt next season, they could lose a bunch of games. Steinbach is getting old, and the right side is average at best. I can't say for sure that the Browns won't be in the Luck Sweepstakes in 12 months, so I don't make the deal.

Fuckin' A. If the Browns start out 0-5, the season will still be as exciting as shit if they have that 2012 #1. "Lose, boys, and let's bring home football LeBron!"

If they don't have that pick... suicide is painless.
hiko

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:53 pm

I still don't see Cin taking a QB.

MIke Brown said he is not trading Palmer. And when he says something, take it to the bank. Palmer may not be bluffing, but I can't see Brown adding the contract of a high-pick QB to Palmer's 8-digit salary (he'll have to assume Palmer isn't retiring, until he does).
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:

SD:

Not to mention , Barkley is more than a consolation prize, as a pure passer he well maybe superior to Luck .

That deal stinks , I think they have it backwards anyway , the trade is moving in the wrong direction if anything Minny would look to trade up for a QB before we mortgage next years #1 on any position other than a QB, the draft just has to much depth for that .

The skins second and fourth to move down to ten would be borderline , and since tey don't have a third next years second which is equal to a third might get that done.

Minny at 12 would have to be talking next years #1 , because now you might not be in position to still net an elite player , which would be a deal breaker without a good sweetner.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby hiko » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:44 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:SD:

Not to mention , Barkley is more than a consolation prize, as a pure passer he well maybe superior to Luck .

Please tell me that you don't want Barkley over Luck. Say it ain't so, SD, say it ain't so.
hiko

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:34 am

hiko wrote:

Please tell me that you don't want Barkley over Luck. Say it ain't so, SD, say it ain't so.

Sd:

In a pickem give me the LUCK.

Butt Barklet is hardly sloppy seconds.

as a passer his release is quicker although he can't matchup in size.

both come out of a pro style set , so would hit the ground running.

Ones a Yukon the other is an Escalade.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:48 am

Erie Warrior wrote:

OTOH mitigation-wise, that schedule make me wanna party like it's 2007.
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:50 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
hiko wrote:

Sd:

In a pickem give me the LUCK.

Butt Barklet is hardly sloppy seconds.

as a passer his release is quicker although he can't matchup in size.

both come out of a pro style set , so would hit the ground running.

Ones a Yukon the other is an Escalade.

SoulDawg

Yup. Kid from 'zona can ball, too. So add in a Lexus SUV to that as well. Next year is a huge year for real NFL QB prospects.

And one hell of a WR prospect currently playing QB.

:hide:
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:52 am

hiko wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:

Fuckin' A. If the Browns start out 0-5, the season will still be as exciting as shit if they have that 2012 #1. "Lose, boys, and let's bring home football LeBron!"

In which case they win 5 of their next 11 and we draft 5th.
jb

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:32 am

jb wrote:Yup. Kid from 'zona can ball, too. So add in a Lexus SUV to that as well. Next year is a huge year for real NFL QB prospects.

Luck and Barkley are the front runners.

Foles, Weeden, Moore, Cousins, Pryor- these guys still have a lot to prove. Foles would appear to be the third best, but all this spread bullshit makes it very hard to get a read on them. Kellen Moore is a great example, all the numbers, but against whom?

I'm not ready to call it a huge year.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL