Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

'Restrepo' Co-Director Killed in Libya

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

'Restrepo' Co-Director Killed in Libya

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:34 pm

The journalist CNN is reporting died in an RPG attack today in Libya is Tim Hetherington. He and Sebastian Junger (who also wrote 'Perfect Storm) directed and did Restrepo together a year ago and it was nominated for an Academy Award.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: 'Restrepo' Co-Director Killed in Libya

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:44 pm

Sad to hear. Restrepo was a fanatsic film.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:51 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Sad to hear. Restrepo was a fanatsic film.

Agreed.

After Hetherington's death, Jalal al Gallal, a spokesman for the rebels, issued a statement saying, "This is no longer the Gadhafi regime taking on Libya's people. This is Gadhafi taking on the world. He has spared no one, not women, not children, not journalists. This is now everybody's war."

The fighting in Misrata -- a northwestern city with an estimated population of 300,000 -- symbolizes the pro- and anti-Gadhafi conflict, and the bloodshed and destruction are worse there than in other Libyan cities.

Many observers believe the besieged city is becoming like Sarajevo, the Bosnian city placed under attack by Serbian forces during the Balkan wars in the 1990s.

In fact, the office of U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said Wednesday that some of the Libyan government's attacks on Misrata could constitute international crimes.

A statement from the office said she condemned "the reported repeated use of cluster munitions and heavy weaponry by Libyan government forces in their attempt to regain control of the besieged city of Misrata, and said that such attacks on densely populated urban areas, resulting in substantial civilian casualties, could amount to international crimes."

Was going to get Junger's newest book 'War' that was written based on his Afghanistan experiences. Just slipped by me.

Gonna have to grab it now on Kindle or wherever.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:52 pm

Meant to come in and post this for you over lunch. I swear I did. I'm losing my mind.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:39 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Meant to come in and post this for you over lunch. I swear I did. I'm losing my mind.

Little bits of news like this ('little' to me, not to his) depresses me more than the idiocy I'm exposed to daily either personally or at work.

Now, I guess 'Restrepo' is what it is partly because of dudes like this living the life and being side-by-fucking-side in Humvees that are getting IED'd and kids who are getting shot up. But fuck if it doesn't affect me for some reason. Makes it all more real. As if the body bags of American soldiers arriving daily don't.

I dunno. Just hated seeing that.

Looked through a copy of his book, 'Infidel' in the library before grabbing my kids and heading home. I'm not a soldier and I'm not a photog, but fuck if those pics in that book aren't unbelievable.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:07 pm

'Infidel' is his? I look at that just about every time I go to the library.

Damn, this sucks. Loved Restrepo.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:13 pm

bucknutz94 wrote:'Infidel' is his? I look at that just about every time I go to the library.

Damn, this sucks. Loved Restrepo.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/blog/20 ... fidel.html

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:30 pm

As I said before Peeks, I feel you on this stuff effecting you.

It hits me so hard (and not much hits me, I may not even have a soul) that I genuinely can't sit through it. From reading All Quiet on The Western Front to Saving Private Ryan to the real shit like Restrepo, I just can't do it.

Cuts through me like a knife.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby olecowboy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:58 am

no soul. . .

no surprise. . .
olecowboy

Favorite Player: Alexander Pope
Least Favorite Player: Lane Adkins

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:29 pm

Good to see you too old friend.

You know where to find me should you be making a return.

How you got me in this thread and missed the golden opportunity to knock me ten miles in the MTV thread I’ll never know.

I hope your search for internet respect is going better than mine though OC. :-(
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:50 pm

peeker643 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Meant to come in and post this for you over lunch. I swear I did. I'm losing my mind.

Little bits of news like this ('little' to me, not to his) depresses me more than the idiocy I'm exposed to daily either personally or at work.

Now, I guess 'Restrepo' is what it is partly because of dudes like this living the life and being side-by-fucking-side in Humvees that are getting IED'd and kids who are getting shot up. But fuck if it doesn't affect me for some reason. Makes it all more real. As if the body bags of American soldiers arriving daily don't.

I dunno. Just hated seeing that.

Looked through a copy of his book, 'Infidel' in the library before grabbing my kids and heading home. I'm not a soldier and I'm not a photog, but fuck if those pics in that book aren't unbelievable.

This is not meant to sound unsympathetic (but it will be read that way for sure) but these stories go the other way for me. I feel for the families and can see the heroism angle that comes from these tragedies, but my first reaction and longest standing POV on these is the borderline waste and virtual stupidity it takes to embark on these types of missions (heavily dependent upon where in the world they take place mind you). Just like w/Lara Logan, I do not place blame on these correspondents to say they had it coming, but the risk is too great to waste their lives when nothing will change in the these nations in which they choose to take such risks.

Most of the people that get killed or have violent crimes committed against them while doing these jobs abroad are pretty special people, and @EOD it is hard to say any of it is worth it after they're gone, often leaving family back home that needed them more then the fucking scum they are there to report on.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture