Text Size

College Sports Arena

For the Tressel File

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

For the Tressel File

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:56 pm

With all the focus on Tressel's sins, here's another in the very long list of items for the other side of his ledger:

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Article/ ... This-22228

You may have heard of the Kent Roosevelt offensive tackle who was just diagnosed with bone cancer, ending his promising football career. His high school coach knows Tressel and reached out to him for some support for the kid, whose 20 recruiting letters a week were about to dry up completely.

A letter from the OSU coach would have undoubtedly lifted the kid's spirits. Instead what he got was a package of over 100 letters from OSU players and staff. It's the difference between doing a kind and thoughtful thing yourself, and using the occasion to give a life lesson to players and subordinates...while multiplying many times the "feel good" on the other end of the gesture.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Re: For the Tressel File

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:20 pm

It's a shame you don't see more things like this publicized. Good works happen, you just catch more fish with scandalous headlines. Society.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:00 pm

This is just devastating. We (Kent Roosevelt) lost a great kid named Benny Cowgill about fifteen years ago from the same disease. Took him off piece by piece. Tressel was at YSU and really reached out to him at the time.

Coach Nemec is a very good man and a good football coach (CEO type more than an x's and o's type) having played under him for two years in HS. This must be incredibly difficult for him to go through, not to mention what the young man is going through. Keep him and Ryan in your thoughts.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:09 pm

Stuff like this is why i'll defend Tress 'til the end. I wish the kid nothing but the best, I hope it can be treated.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Stuff like this is why i'll defend Tress 'til the end. I wish the kid nothing but the best, I hope it can be treated.

I'll respect him til the end for shit like this. I won't defend him for what he allegeldy did (or didn't do, more to the point) with the Tat5 thing. They're completely separate IMO.

And I still think he took a bullet for the university fwiw.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:59 am

I agree with Peek. Love the guy, hate the crime, I hope he stays because he does a lot more than most of us will know. He does a ton with vets.

Devastating stuff for the kid and his family as a father of four I have no idea how I would even begin to cope with that.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena