Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

At whom the Browns have looked

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Who the Browns have looked at

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:59 pm

peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:But if we did the thread, people could periodically bring it up to show me what a dumbass I am.

Yeah.

Like people need a real-time draft thread to do that.

Wait...what?

How come every time I say something like that nobody wants to argue with me?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: At whom the Browns have looked

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:02 pm

FTR, I really wanted the Browns to draft Drew Brees back in 01 and thought he could have been a damn good QB at the time.

BTW, Ed Glosser seems like a character Hiko would trot out for a piece. Jus' saying.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:06 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:^^^Which is all the more reason to do the thread. All of those examples you site are why.

For example, last year when the Browns drafted Haden and I insisted that he was well on his way to an underwhelming and average NFL career. I didn't bother (that I recall) to say who I would have wanted instead.

But if we did the thread, people could periodically bring it up to show me what a dumbass I am.

Then again, we would also have a record of the times I was right. Another example. The 222nd pick in round 7 2006. The Browns stupidly waste a pick on Justin Hamilton of VT.

I was all like "Marques Colston! Hofstra Bitches!"

True story.

SD:

The problem is you have to keep pace in real time during the draft , as when Mangy finally got to use those second round picks and took Masso and Robo instead of Loadholt or Ray Maualuga .

SoulDawg

Well, that's why Hiko is saying do it monday. Who cares if it's 2 days after the draft? If on Monday you claim that you would have taken Locker instead of Green at #6 and then Locker turns into a stud...good on you. It don't matter that it wasn't while the Browns were on the clock.

And, FTR, I was driving home from Cincy with my wife and kid and listening to the 2009 draft on the radio. When the Browns 2nd round pick came around and Maualuga was still on the board it was like a gift from God. I couldn't believe that we were still going to get that guy. I was pulled over in a gas station when they announced we took Robo. I was so pissed that I scared my wife. She was afraid to say anything.

SO I'm right with you on that one.

If only there was a draft thread where I could have voiced my dissension to be saved in posterity.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Triple-S wrote:FTR, I really wanted the Browns to draft Drew Brees back in 01 and thought he could have been a damn good QB at the time.

I just like the new thread title myself.

"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:54 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:^^^Which is all the more reason to do the thread. All of those examples you site are why.

For example, last year when the Browns drafted Haden and I insisted that he was well on his way to an underwhelming and average NFL career. I didn't bother (that I recall) to say who I would have wanted instead.

But if we did the thread, people could periodically bring it up to show me what a dumbass I am.

Then again, we would also have a record of the times I was right. Another example. The 222nd pick in round 7 2006. The Browns stupidly waste a pick on Justin Hamilton of VT.

True story.

SD:

The problem is you have to keep pace in real time during the draft , as when Mangy finally got to use those second round picks and took Masso and Robo instead of Loadholt or Ray Maualuga .

SoulDawg

Well, that's why Hiko is saying do it monday. Who cares if it's 2 days after the draft? If on Monday you claim that you would have taken Locker instead of Green at #6 and then Locker turns into a stud...good on you. It don't matter that it wasn't while the Browns were on the clock.

And, FTR, I was driving home from Cincy with my wife and kid and listening to the 2009 draft on the radio. When the Browns 2nd round pick came around and Maualuga was still on the board it was like a gift from God. I couldn't believe that we were still going to get that guy. I was pulled over in a gas station when they announced we took Robo. I was so pissed that I scared my wife. She was afraid to say anything.

If only there was a draft thread where I could have voiced my dissension to be saved in posterity.

SD:

I was numb to the stoopidity by then after they bypassed bot Freeman and Clay Mathews and picked a f ukin center. , But JB had some withering fire for their dumbasses over that pick .

Best not to bring the subject up with him even to this day.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:31 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:SD:

I was numb to the stoopidity by then after they bypassed bot Freeman and Clay Mathews and picked a f ukin center. , But JB had some withering fire for their dumbasses over that pick .

SoulDawg

index.php?f=1&t=13263&rb_v=viewtopic

Can't we just bookmark this shit and direct SD there every time he tries to rewrite history? LOL, now he is bitching about a fuckin' center.

Yeah, check it out, one day after and there you were bitching about the draft and passing over Clay Matthews and Josh Freeman, plain as day. It is there if you look hard enough, I swear.

I took the liberty of bolding my favorite parts.

8 Draft picks and three experienced veteran NFL players from the Savage leftovers.

Yet the bitchin and wailin has been an endless ceaseless torrent of blabberin suck.

Just goes to prove you morons don't know football players from your own pieholes.

Yeah we got some prospects at safety corner linebacker and running back , who didn't .

But net we landed four starters with our first pick

ROBO Mack Elam and the former Jet DE will start.

Ratcliff the QB will push either starting QB for playing time and make sure if we ever get to our third QB we'll never get Dorseyed again.

All of which came on the draft day trades from five to 21.

and

JB just shut the Fuck up about Veikune.

He's the same sort of prospect the inbred have deveolped against us nonstop for Years.

Dude is a football player benched more reps than every lineman in the draft ten more reps than Mulauaga has better hips than Orpako at the same size and we're paying him #52 money instead of top five jack.

Wimbleys puppy ass is gonna have to fight him off for playing time , and he's gonna lose.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:25 am

Ziner wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:SD:

SoulDawg

index.php?f=1&t=13263&rb_v=viewtopic

Can't we just bookmark this shit and direct SD there every time he tries to rewrite history? LOL, now he is bitching about a fuckin' center.

Yeah, check it out, one day after and there you were bitching about the draft and passing over Clay Matthews and Josh Freeman, plain as day. It is there if you look hard enough, I swear.

I took the liberty of bolding my favorite parts.

8 Draft picks and three experienced veteran NFL players from the Savage leftovers.

Yet the bitchin and wailin has been an endless ceaseless torrent of blabberin suck.

Just goes to prove you morons don't know football players from your own pieholes.

Yeah we got some prospects at safety corner linebacker and running back , who didn't .

But net we landed four starters with our first pick

ROBO Mack Elam and the former Jet DE will start.

Ratcliff the QB will push either starting QB for playing time and make sure if we ever get to our third QB we'll never get Dorseyed again.

All of which came on the draft day trades from five to 21.

and

JB just shut the Fuck up about Veikune.

He's the same sort of prospect the inbred have deveolped against us nonstop for Years.

Dude is a football player benched more reps than every lineman in the draft ten more reps than Mulauaga has better hips than Orpako at the same size and we're paying him #52 money instead of top five jack.

Wimbleys puppy ass is gonna have to fight him off for playing time , and he's gonna lose.

SD:

Unlike others around here , I have no problem coming correct.

Like I said by the time we bypassed Freeman and Mathews , I was numb to the stoopidity .

Having drunk the koolaid being so desperate to believe these guys hadn't just squandered this draft because maybe they were so far outside the box they had turned genius , I defended the choices on paper.

Too wit JB instinctively had it right .

Kune Robo and Masso were all Jive ass picks .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks Ziner.

That Veikune / Orakpo take is priceless.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:24 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:Thanks Ziner.

SD:

You got the price part correct , we got away cheap for that miss.

dude failed to make the transition like Gholston , who at least was tried at OLB Mangy insanely tried Kune at inside linebacker admist the wash of bodies where guys who have played inside all their careers have trouble , making it as pros.

But we ain't on the hook for that kind Jack either so my economic point about that gamble was spot on.

Ironically both busts would be worth a look in our 43 at their natural positions .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:06 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
JacksonDysonJackson wrote:Thanks Ziner.

SD:

You got the price part correct , we got away cheap for that miss.

dude failed to make the transition like Gholston , who at least was tried at OLB Mangy insanely tried Kune at inside linebacker admist the wash of bodies where guys who have played inside all their careers have trouble , making it as pros.

But we ain't on the hook for that kind Jack either so my economic point about that gamble was spot on.

Ironically both busts would be worth a look in our 43 at their natural positions .

SoulDawg

I'm not so sure Veikune would be worth a look but I'd like Gholston to get one. I did'nt hate the Veikune pick when it was made. Not because I thought it was a good pick, (I didn't know a thing about him) but because his name sounded like Polumalu to me.

Truthfully, that's part of the reason I wanted Muaulaga so bad. But, only part of the reason.

I realize that it's very unlikely that I spelled any of their names write.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:18 pm

Dude, you ever consider going into politics?

You can spin anything my friend.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:37 pm

To try and redirect the convo back to this April's draft...

How many starters do you think the Browns draft should yield?

For me, I think 3 is a realistic #. Give me a starting receiver, D-lineman, and either a ORT or linebacker. Get all 4? Nirvana.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:17 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:To try and redirect the convo back to this April's draft...

How many starters do you think the Browns draft should yield?

For me, I think 3 is a realistic #. Give me a starting receiver, D-lineman, and either a ORT or linebacker. Get all 4? Nirvana.

Timeframe? Are you talking immediate starters, starters by the end of the first season, or anyone who will eventually be a starter?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:20 pm

In my mind, I was thinking about guys who become starters by the end of the first season (ie: Haden last year).
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:55 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:In my mind, I was thinking about guys who become starters by the end of the first season (ie: Haden last year).

SD:

Peterson would make an ideal bookend , and it be hard to imagine anybody here could keep Quinn out of the starting lineup or Greene or Jones , any one of which might be available with our first pick.

second round I'd target Marquiz wilson at MLB first then Heywood or Austin for my DT .

Third round you add receiver unless Dalton or Kaepernick haven't been chosen in which case either QB has more value.

4th and 5th round I'm hunting linebackers Dline safety and wide outs . Mathews Shilo Keo and that kid coming off IR for UNC would all net consideration first.

If you follow your board you might end up with three defensive picks in the first three rounds if the talent in front of you makes more sense than reaching for need.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:07 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:Dude, you ever consider going into politics?

SD:

Its unfortunate that too often we've had to learn to cope with poor drafts , rather than celebrate great picks .

You end up with a defense mechanism of either allowing the team time and considerartion to they pan out or just losing it and ragging their ass immediately .

After the Mangy debacle when Heckert picked Ward with Mays on the board , the darkside couldn't be held back and the FO felt it because it was a cumulative response of wtf by the fans .

Better to make them show you they were right than give them a pass until they prove they are right.

Pressure is better than complacency.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:43 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

True story.

SD:

SoulDawg

SD:

SoulDawg

'Preciate the shout out, Dawg. I remember quite a few peeps trying to rip me a new bung hole for my negativity over day one in 2009.

Now they Frank & I'm Tony.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:44 pm

He's jay Williams' king maker
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:52 pm

jb wrote:

More like a babbling bullshit artist.

Someone so incredibly stupid they can't even post properly. Maybe Eugenics wasn't such a bad thing.......
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:49 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:More like a babbling bullshit artist.

Someone so incredibly stupid they can't even post properly. Maybe Eugenics wasn't such a bad thing.......

Figures a german would say something like that.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Jay Williams has the weirdest shaped head ever,
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:14 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
jb wrote:

More like a babbling bullshit artist.

SD:

Yeah first was Prince then comes me the artist.

How can I ever thank you
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:41 pm

jb wrote:

SD:

Mayor Jay Williams
Home

Mayor Jay Williams
Information gathered by the American Policy Roundtable

Biography
Source - http://www.cityofyoungstownoh.org

Jay Williams has attracted national and international attention since he became the first African-American to be elected mayor of Youngstown, Ohio in November 2005. Williams who is currently 36 years old, is also the city’s youngest mayor.

His election as the city’s 47th mayor was an historic and stunning upset, and viewed by many political observers as a watershed event in the changing political landscape of the community. He was also the first independent candidate to win the mayoral seat in more than 80 years.

Youngstown has moved progressively under Mayor Williams’ leadership. The city’s planning and development efforts have been recognized and rewarded by a number of notable national organizations including, The Wall Street Journal, New York Times Magazine, USA Today, the American Planning Association, and Governing Magazine to name a few. The city’s achievements have also been featured on National Public Radio.

Youngstown has garnered significant international attention recently. Mayor Williams and his staff have hosted officials and media representatives from various countries, including Japan, Germany, France, and the Netherlands. The overseas representatives that called upon Youngstown, have sought to examine how many of the city’s progressive strategies might be transferable to European and Asian cities undergoing redevelopment challenges similar to Youngstown.

More important than improving the national and international reputation of the city, Mayor Williams also is leading efforts that have a direct impact on improving the quality of life for the citizens of Youngstown. He remains a strong proponent of the city’s award winning Youngstown 2010 citywide planning initiative, a project in which he played a leading role.

Under his leadership, neighborhoods are being revitalized and aggressive policies are targeting crime. The city has also increased investment in its economic development programs, taking special care to enhance those programs designed to assist female, minority, and disadvantaged business entities. Youngstown is also advancing a regional agenda intended to facilitate more productive economic cooperation throughout the metropolitan area.

Mayor Williams is the recipient of the 2007 John F. Kennedy New Frontier Award. The JFK Library Foundation, in conjunction with the Harvard University Institute of Politics, annually recognizes two exceptional young Americans, under the age of 40, whose contributions in elective office, community service or advocacy demonstrate the impact and value of public service in the spirit of President John F. Kennedy.

Prior to being elected, Mayor Williams spent five years as the Director of Community Development for the city. Before transitioning into public service, Mayor Williams enjoyed a distinguished career in banking, which included stints at the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland and First Place Bank, as a vice president.

Mayor Williams was born and reared in Youngstown. He graduated from Youngstown State University with a B.S.B.A., majoring in finance. He resides in Youngstown with his wife Sonja.

Nah, I done forgot how to do more than that kid ever done.

SoulDawg
Last edited by SoulDawg74 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoulDawg74

Unread postby yogi » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:09 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
JacksonDysonJackson wrote:In my mind, I was thinking about guys who become starters by the end of the first season (ie: Haden last year).

SD:

Peterson would make an ideal bookend , and it be hard to imagine anybody here could keep Quinn out of the starting lineup or Greene or Jones , any one of which might be available with our first pick.

second round I'd target Marquiz wilson at MLB first then Heywood or Austin for my DT .

Third round you add receiver unless Dalton or Kaepernick haven't been chosen in which case either QB has more value.

4th and 5th round I'm hunting linebackers Dline safety and wide outs . Mathews Shilo Keo and that kid coming off IR for UNC would all net consideration first.

If you follow your board you might end up with three defensive picks in the first three rounds if the talent in front of you makes more sense than reaching for need.

SoulDawg

I am almost 100% deadnuts behind these thoughts. I might think QB that MH likes at 6th or 7th instead of anyone in the 3rd round. #rd round with this deep DL draft year will net us a DL starter and since we only have 1 of the 4 at this time, that's where I'd go.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:04 pm

some pre-draft musings by an young draftnik named Shawn Zobel. Interesting in that he says Denver is listening to offers to trade out of #2 for teams that want a QB, and that Bengals like Gabbert as well as Green, which may allow a better defensive player to fall to the good guys.

Zobel is very young...just a 20-something kid, but he's been putting out a draft publication for five years and has some good information. Plus he's a good guy...I've had some dialogue with him over the last couple months...very accessible and a good pre-draft follow if you're on Twitter (@ShawnZobel_DHQ)

http://draftheadquarters.com/dhqblogs/?p=708
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby hiko » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:29 pm

I would LOVE for the Bengals to take Gabbert. For several reasons. Would LOVE it.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:48 pm

Fucking EPIC. Move that to the Library.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:

Pretty sure I deleted by draft night melt down where I cussed out everyone and everything. Wish I hadn't deleted it.
jb

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:20 am

Updating a previous report, the Cleveland Browns worked out University of Miami CB DeMarcus Van Dyke Friday, April 15, a source told Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl/clevela ... z1JssjffjQ

Miami CB Brandon Harris had dinner with a Cleveland Browns secondary coach Thursday, April 14, reports Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl/clevela ... z1Jssr1OK0

The Cleveland Browns met with DL Phil Taylor Wednesday, April 13, a source told Mary Kay Cabot, of The Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl/clevela ... z1Jssv3S7G

The Cleveland Browns met with University of Wisconsin DE J.J. Watt Wednesday, April 13, a source told Mary Kay Cabot, of The Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl/clevela ... z1JssyZeXo

The Cleveland Browns have worked out Clemson DB Marcus Gilchrist, a source told Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl/clevela ... z1Jst2egFA

Colorado CB Jimmy Smith is scheduled to visit the Cleveland Browns, reports Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl/clevela ... z1Jst5h445

West Virginia LB J.T. Thomas has drawn a considerable amount of interest from the Cleveland Browns, according to Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl/clevela ... z1JstAB6Vn

The Cleveland Browns were scheduled to meet with Lehigh OL Will Rackley Sunday, April 10, a source told Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl/clevela ... z1JstPD6NX

Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:22 am

So, they seem to really, really wanting to get someone in the secondary in the draft. Next to d-line, seems to be the position they're targeting the most.

Am not seeing a ton of WR looks, though they could just be figuring in drafting one in the first and then going from there.

Triple-S

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:04 am

Got Jason's look at CBs all loaded up and running tomorrow. They'll take one in the draft. All comes down to whther Peterson is available at #6 or not.

Jason's WR review will run Thursday. Trying to space these out as we get closer o the draft.

Triple-S wrote:So, they seem to really, really wanting to get someone in the secondary in the draft. Next to d-line, seems to be the position they're targeting the most.

Am not seeing a ton of WR looks, though they could just be figuring in drafting one in the first and then going from there.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby hiko » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:18 pm

jb wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:

Pretty sure I deleted by draft night melt down where I cussed out everyone and everything. Wish I hadn't deleted it.

Why? Being "right" doesn't make you look any less spastic. :cheers:
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL