Text Size

College Sports Arena

NC2A Tourney Thread

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: NC2A Tourney Thread

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:29 pm

Can someone explain to me why Jordan Hamilton called that TO with 9.8 left? He was going to get fouled and go to the line. Instead, calls the TO, leads to the 5 second violation, and the Arizona win.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Man, Texas just got effed in the A. Twice.

Looked to me like they called timeout but the official called 5 seconds. And then it looked like they got fouled at the end.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Rally Squirl » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:39 pm

wooo GO BUCKEYES! that was an ass woopin, save some for Friday vs UK :clap:
(yes I know......i spelled "squirrel" wrong :P)
Rally Squirl

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:41 pm

FML...
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby JoJo White » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:17 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Can someone explain to me why Jordan Hamilton called that TO with 9.8 left? He was going to get fouled and go to the line. Instead, calls the TO, leads to the 5 second violation, and the Arizona win.

No, I've never seen that either. Or as a poster on Shaggybevo explained:

When you get the defensive rebound up 2 with 12 seconds left, some coaches would say hold the ball and let them foul you. Other coaches, like for example Rick Barnes, like to make things more interesting by telling his guys to call timeout so he can get Tristan Thompson out of the game.

You see, it's entirely possible Hamilton would have passed the ball to Thompson in the backcourt so Tristan could bring the ball up. Then Arizona would have fouled him, and he might have missed his FTs. That's a risk we weren't willing to take. So it was better to just call the timeout, and then draw up an inbounds play that involved J'Covan running along the baseline while everyone else stood around.

All of the criticisms that have been leveled against Rick Barnes (mystifying rotations/subs, stagnant offense, not having kids ready to play, team exhibits low hoops IQ) in his career were on full display tonight.

But the UT fan base and big money donors, for the most part, could care less about hoops so Barnes will continue to win 20-25 games per year with incredible talent and exit in the first round of the tourney every year.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby JoJo White » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:20 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Man, Texas just got effed in the A. Twice.

Looked to me like they called timeout but the official called 5 seconds. And then it looked like they got fouled at the end.

Yep, I timed the inbounds play several times and always got between 4.7 - 4.9 seconds. Joseph turns to the ref to call TO and then then the ref calls 5 seconds. Whatever. For most of the game the refs did favor UT but yeah that was an epic hose job at the end.

Wouldn't have mattered anyway since UT would have gotten plunger-raped by Duke. But then again, any team with a coherent offensive plan seems to get the best of Rick Barnes.
JoJo White

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:59 pm

Someone should have set it up so Painter and Barnes could play each other. Would have been the most amazing choke job set up ever.

As someone said on another board, really is sad to see Purdue's senior class go out like that.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Someone should have set it up so Painter and Barnes could play each other. Would have been the most amazing choke job set up ever.

As someone said on another board, really is sad to see Purdue's senior class go out like that.

Eh, Painter seems to be very similar to Keady, in that, he'll do amazing in the regular season, looking like they'll have a Final-Four caliber team..but then they peak around February and never actually go beyond the sweet 16.

He's not a bad coach by any stretch, just don't ever expect him to reach the final 4 anytime soon.

Conspiracy theory is....Etwaun Moore was either buds with Barlow, and Moore was all bummed about it, and decided "the hell with it".
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:37 pm

Never in my life have I seen so many morons packed into one weekend of play. It just never ends. I figured hacking a guy before he converted a 92 foot hook shot would put an end to it, but then Texas can't in bound the GD ball when they still had timeouts left and Syracuse can't inbound it on the correct side of the floor.

By the way Brown, when you get the ball with 10 seconds left, get it up the fucking floor. The guy loafs it down there, which screams to the world what you're going to do, hence the one on four Potsy Weber over the backboard chuck. and, if you woulda got your lazy ass down the floor, your guys could battle for an extra tap or two, instead of you being 4 seconds in to your camera glomming, lyin' on the floor act.

Seriously, how many games have been DECIDED by just horrific errors.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Cease » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:47 am

Re: The end-game errors.

IMO, a function of younger and younger players on the court. Little/no experience in these situations, they brain fart. I do like that the players are deciding the games, I just wish they were deciding them while playing at the top of their intelligence. This comedy of errors is what you get with a culture of one (or two)-and-dones. Thanks, Fab Five.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Action Boy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:27 am

leadpipe wrote:
swerb wrote:
Cease wrote:Image

I love watching Matt Howard. Turkish-league talent compared to the blue chip big men across the country, but he comes to play every night and bangs his lurpy body all game. He's smart with the ball, he's physical, he's cold blooded- hitting two game winners in the final seconds of his last two games, and he deserves props for being a great college player.

Couldn't agree more. Him, Jordan Taylor, Nolan Smith - my favorite non Buckeye/Viking players to watch.

Huskies gave this GD game away. Should have sent Carolina home, in Charlotte.

Yeah, if your "star" is at the point, you shouldn't be giving away possessions you don't even get a shot out of, you shouldn't look totally lost the few minutes at the end of the game when it became half court - and you should be more in control at the end of the game period.

Still can't see how Carolina gets thru many more with no real ability to shoot the three. Too hard in this day and age, plus it negates one of ther strengths which is creating extra possessions.

And Christ, are they better without Drew.

I agree that Carolina's 3 pt shooting can be suspect, but McDonald and Barnes are both effective enough to allow the 'bigs' to score at will in the paint.

Larry Drew was a cancer to Carolina and he never fit the Carolina PG mold. He should have left at the end of last year as was rumored.

I'm looking forward to the East regional.....a tourney favorite to win it all, 2 blue blood programs and a solid Marquette squad.
Action Boy

Unread postby swerb » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:36 am

Cease wrote:Re: The end-game errors.

IMO, a function of younger and younger players on the court. Little/no experience in these situations, they brain fart. I do like that the players are deciding the games, I just wish they were deciding them while playing at the top of their intelligence. This comedy of errors is what you get with a culture of one (or two)-and-dones. Thanks, Fab Five.

Yep.

I thought Calipari's interview at halftime of the UK/WVU was really revealing, him talking about the talent of his team, but the challenges/limitations of an all freshman team that kep letting Mazzulla go left even though he can't go right.

Entertaining games though. Friday's games sucked, but Thurs/Sat/Sun were all awesome.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby JoJo White » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:38 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Man, Texas just got effed in the A. Twice.

Yes, and yes. Joseph definitely signaled before 5 seconds, and he even turned to official and verbally called timeout before he signaled. This was the same ref, by the way, who did the Rutgers-St. Johns game.

JoJo White

Unread postby furls » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:50 pm

Hey,

I just thought of the perfect solution to the Big East's problem. Why don't we admit all 16 BE teams to the NCAA tourney next year and give them their own region. That way the best conference in NCAAB can get a team to the final four (and 4 teams to the sweet 16!).

Man it is kind of fun watching the talking heads try to talk their way out of this without admitting that they overrated the BE. Sir Charles was actually pretty correct in his assessment that the BE is not scary because they don't have "Talent." There are some nice players in the BE, lots of them, but where are the lottery picks?

Oh yeah, has anyone every been as overrated as Demitri McCamee?
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Cease » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:16 pm

It has been fun to watch Chuck B. destroy the Big East, especially with the Lounge Lizard sitting center-desk.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby swerb » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:24 pm

furls wrote:Oh yeah, has anyone every been as overrated as Demitri McCamee?

2-9 from the field. Got to the FT line one time. Four turnovers. No baskets in the first half.

Was a shame ... cause Illinois was in that game without him. The rest of that senior class ... Tisdale, Davis, Richardson all played well. If McCamee shows up, that game goes down to the final minute.

One of the bigger wastes of talent in recent Big Ten basketball history when you look back at his career. All his #'s were worse this year than last year.

Bruce Weber also. Dude hasn't done jack since losing that title game to Carolina with all Self's players.

Would help the Big Ten as a conference immensely if Illinois could get it together in basketball and football. Seems like they just can't keep enough of the talented kids that come out of the Chicago area at the state school.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby waborat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:49 pm

furls wrote:
Man it is kind of fun watching the talking heads try to talk their way out of this without admitting that they overrated the BE. Sir Charles was actually pretty correct in his assessment that the BE is not scary because they don't have "Talent." There are some nice players in the BE, lots of them, but where are the lottery picks?

Listening to Chucks & Ricky P jaw last night was priceless...

RP pretty much guaranteeing an Irish victory 5 minutes before tipoff? :lmfao:

Wish CBS woulda went postgame for an hour after midnight
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby waborat » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:55 pm

VCU playin outta their minds...

Last #1 goin down?
waborat

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Shaka just hit with a T for bitching about that call not being a shooting foul. Pretty close he might have a point. With Free Throws and possession could be down to a 2 pt. lead after the 16:00 timeout.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:42 pm

Rock Choke Jayhawk again

Whouda thunk it?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Rock Choke Jayhawk again

Whouda thunk it?

How about VCU vs Butler in the final 4? Crazy.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:56 pm

motherscratcher wrote:How about VCU vs Butler in the final 4? Crazy.

Pete Rozelle says this is the greatest NCAA tournament he's ever seen.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby waborat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:34 pm

Helluva run for Butler again...

Love hearing Clark say "Ya know John Thompson's rootin for em Monday night"
waborat

Unread postby waborat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:11 pm

Kemba owning Knight so far tonight...

A lot of open looks not fallin for the Cats...

See how Cal gets the yoots up for the 2nd
waborat

Unread postby waborat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:41 pm

Does the Big East redeem itself with a NC?

Is Butler the first mid-major since the Runnin Rebs to trim the twine?

Are the Huskies on the best March run ever?

How many offers does Stevens get after Monday?

Could UK have hit a free throw from 4 feet tonight?
waborat

Unread postby pup » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:04 am

waborat wrote:Does the Big East redeem itself with a NC?
Yes (not that they needed it)
Is Butler the first mid-major since the Runnin Rebs to trim the twine?
No. Lose another heart breaker.
Are the Huskies on the best March run ever?
Forget March. Include the preseason tournaments too. 22-0 against everyone outside of Big East, with a Maui, Big East and Big Dance Tourney Trio? Sick.
How many offers does Stevens get after Monday?
How many openings are there? Question is, does anyone with a coach call to test the water?
Could UK have hit a free throw from 4 feet tonight?
No. Those bunch of cock suckers.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Awesome video of Jim Nantz preparing for tonight's game.

A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:48 pm

Man, the first in this thread certainly reflects the nation's unmatched excitment about this legendary battle of two sub-par teams!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:49 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Awesome video of Jim Nantz preparing for tonight's game.

Outstanding.

And FWiW (and I will be seeing a doctor asap) I agree with pretty much all of Pup's thoughts above.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Funny video

Jim Nantz has to be the whitest guy on the face of the earth. He makes Dick Enberg and Al Michaels look straight gangsta in comparison

Him and Bob Costas need to be anchoring golf and tennis and stay away from basketball and football.

WAR GUS JOHNSON CALLING THE TITLE GAME.

Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:30 pm

One word: Brick.

Triple-S

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:47 pm

I hate it when there's a foul on the reach around.

Nice choice of words, Jim.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:11 pm

This is brutal to watch. Competitive yes, but not going into any instructional videos for sure.

Wonder if Nored gets Kemba in 2nd half.

Grind it out defensive wrestling match.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Sometimes it feels like every team in America is coached by John Chaney. 22-19? Whatever happened to the Loyola Marymounts of the world?
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z

Unread postby pup » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Would like to apologize to e0y2e3 for arguing that talent is overrated.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:03 pm

pup wrote:Would like to apologize to e0y2e3 for arguing that talent is overrated.

this.

It's reminding me of a Spurs/Pistons Finals with teams with little in terms of "fundamentals".

Triple-S

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:09 pm

Christ this is brutal.

Especially as someone with Butler on the ML.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:10 pm

I don't think anyone can argue Eeyore's take about the college game being WAY off from where it was 15-20 years ago.

It's the whole "repeating the same post ad nauseum" thing that gets annoying.

Somewhere some kid is watching his very first college basketball game... and getting turned off from the sport for life.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:10 pm

I think Ben Stein could call a more interesting game than Nantz.

Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:13 pm

May I pose this

Should the NCAA and NBA have a similar set up to the NFL in that the kids should be in school for 3 years at the bare-min?

Triple-S

Unread postby pup » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:18 pm

Triple-S wrote:May I pose this

Should the NCAA and NBA have a similar set up to the NFL in that the kids should be in school for 3 years at the bare-min?

Make it like baseball. Straight from high school, JUCO, or 3 year commitment.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:19 pm

Triple-S wrote:May I pose this

No, you'd just send more of them to Europe. If my kid was a sure fire draft pick I wouldnt be encouraging them to spend three years at Duke for "experiences" instead of a few million playing for Olympiakos.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:22 pm

pup wrote:Make it like baseball. Straight from high school, JUCO, or 3 year commitment.

Actually great points here pup.

I actually ponder this for football as well, perhaps even setting up a farm league system for the two leagues?

Triple-S

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:25 pm

FTR: Not even a stone cold hater like me could have foresaw < 100 points.

I at least had 110 in my bracket for the title game.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:27 pm

And geezes was Natnz every reaching with that shitty best in show line.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:28 pm

^^^
Yes, Yes indeed.

Triple-S

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:34 pm

PS: just a matter of months until UConn has to vacate these wins along with the last __ years.

Butler will end up your national champion.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:35 pm

53-41. The Brecksville and Medina girls teams called, they want their final score back.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:41 pm

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Butler missed their bus and didn't make their flight.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:44 pm

One shining moment is so predictably corny it is just one of those things you have to tune in for.

Bet Peeker tears up.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena