Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

HOF Selections

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

HOF Selections

Unread postby waborat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:02 pm

Chris Mullen- One of the best 3 pt shooters of all-time

Dennis Rodman- One of the greatest defenders of all-time

Artis Gilmore- It's about friggin time the REAL "A-Train" got in!!! Highest FG (60%) in NBA history, 6 all-star teams, career DD avg...

"Goose" Tatum- The first "real" Globetrotter
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: HOF Selections

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:06 pm

I was a little surprised Rodman made it. 7.3 ppg and 13.1 rebounds career stats. He seemed too one dimensional in my opinion. Plus he kicks photogs in the balls.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby waborat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:35 pm

Love child of shawn kemp wrote:I was a little surprised Rodman made it. 7.3 ppg and 13.1 rebounds career stats. He seemed too one dimensional in my opinion. Plus he kicks photogs in the balls.

Probably the best rebounder in history who didn't play the 5...

He's another one of those players, where your eyes told you more than the stats. Automatic 15 grabs a game, hussler & intimidator...

5 rings is a bonus...

Plus he nailed Carmen Electra, which is HOF material in itself :nanner:
waborat

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:52 pm

waborat wrote:
Love child of shawn kemp wrote:I was a little surprised Rodman made it. 7.3 ppg and 13.1 rebounds career stats. He seemed too one dimensional in my opinion. Plus he kicks photogs in the balls.

Probably the best rebounder in history who didn't play the 5...

He's another one of those players, where your eyes told you more than the stats. Automatic 15 grabs a game, hussler & intimidator...

5 rings is a bonus...

add to this that the Worm could defend any of the 5 positions on the court. He kept more Piston possessions alive w/ his hustle than I care to remember.

Plus he nailed Carmen Electra, which is HOF material in itself

Wouldn't his fling w/ Madonna put him back at even though?
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:57 pm

Only 2 All-Star selections, but a HOF selection. Thought that was interesting.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:00 pm

Ziner wrote:Only 2 All-Star selections, but a HOF selection. Thought that was interesting.

I'm stunned to fairly stunned that he got in while Reggie Miller did not. Just sayin', they each had weaknesses (which were pretty much 180degrees apart) but I'm personally surprised.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:10 pm

Christ. Now FUDU's gonna have kittens.

The other 3 are great choices. Esp Mullen. have to remember it isn't the NBA or pro HOF. It is the basketball HOF.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby waborat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:12 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Ziner wrote:Only 2 All-Star selections, but a HOF selection. Thought that was interesting.

I'm stunned to fairly stunned that he got in while Reggie Miller did not. Just sayin', they each had weaknesses (which were pretty much 180degrees apart) but I'm personally surprised.

I feel the opposite, Rodman deserves it before Reggie. I would have to believe most GMs in the league would take Rodman over Miller, baggage and all...

Now compare Miller to Mullen and you're a lot closer to the same player. Miller probably hit more big shots as well?
waborat

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:13 pm

jb wrote:

The other 3 are great choices. Esp Mullen. have to remember it isn't the NBA or pro HOF. It is the basketball HOF.

Which apparently encompasses Div 2 in Rodman's case. I don't mind Rodman in, I'm just surprised he got there before others.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby waborat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:16 pm

jb wrote: Esp Mullen. have to remember it isn't the NBA or pro HOF. It is the basketball HOF.

Good point...

So Kemba has a shot? ;-) ;) :wink:
waborat

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:53 pm

jb wrote:

Meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow.

First person I thought of when I heard this news today was you.

Very astute point about the hall, but Rodahman gets in regardless of what it is called. Tough to name a better non center rebounder, also always find it humorous how subjective the whole ring thing becomes b/c nobody ever wants to mention Rodman winning 5 rings, and being pretty instrumental in at least 4 of them.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:00 pm

FUDU wrote:
jb wrote:

Meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow.

First person I thought of when I heard this news today was you.

Very astute point about the hall, but Rodahman gets in regardless of what it is called. Tough to name a better non center rebounder, also always find it humorous how subjective the whole ring thing becomes b/c nobody ever wants to mention Rodman winning 5 rings, and being pretty instrumental in at least 4 of them.

Rodman was instrumental for the Bulls as a role player. No lie. So was John paxson and Steve Kerr, although neither was best at what they did like Worm and rebounding. Worm also had a great passing eye on O IMO. Not shown is assists, but he moved the ball around pretty well. But he was a bench player in Detroit, and in no way the most valuable bench player. He was JAG in rotation in Detroit.

Here's my one an donly beef with Worm. To me, the hall mark of a great HOFer is his ability to play the game. Not a segment of the game; the game. So let's take Rodman.

What is, for example, Char;les barkly hd been essentially told, "Hey, fuhgettabout that you have scoring responsibilties. Just focus on rebounding on O and play D. period."

The numbers he could have put up would have been staggering. Forget 13 rebounds / game. He'd have 20.

Or Elvin Hayes. Or Kevin McHale. Or Ron Artest. Zo Morning.

Heck, take a David West and tell him he's one dimentional and plop him on the Lake Show. Let's see what he'd be capable of doing with gasol and Kobe supplying all the O. bet he averages double diget boards.

Dennis Rodman was a great rebounder, had a nice eye on offense to make a pass, and was a pesky defender. Among the best PF's of his generation to warrent HOF selection?

Pretty big stretch to me. In the end, Rodman was a memorable NBA player. A very good NBA player by some aspects. A great rebounder by any measure. No disrespect. But a HOFer in an era of great PF's? No anti-Bulls bias, but not sein it.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Those things you mentioned are the reason he IS in the HOF. 6-9 tops (most listings are 2-3" shorter, I call BS) in a league of significant PFs & C and he led the league in boards (both O & D) for 7-8 consecutive years. Could defend Pf's & C's well, and just flat out hustled everyone for everything. All that happened b/c he didn't have a complete game, so he dominated in one/two areas, areas in which he had no business dominating. You know how many guys have been relegated to that roll in their careers and didn't even come close to his results? Not to mention he was an iron man for a good deal of his career, well at least before he became a woman.

Hey he wasn't the best at his position at any one time, not even for 10 seconds, but you know what he wasn't a kicker/special teams player in the NFL either.

He is as perfect a fitting piece as any a championship team ever picked up....again 5 rings gets guys in but not him? He's worthy.

FTR asked Barry about the infamous Lakers Bulls thread and he has no archives of that forum at all, scout doesn't either.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:47 am

FUDU - Imina shock the hell out of you. Ready?

I changed my mind. If freakin' Dave DeBusschere is in, Rodman should be in as well. I think the issue may be my standards are not in synch with slection threasshold.

BTW - This means Bobby Jones should be in as well. Maybe Maurice Lucas, too.

http://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers-index/
jb

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA