Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU vs. UK

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: OSU vs. UK

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:55 am

leadpipe wrote:In today's NBA it's awful hard to find an impact player who isn't near the top of the charts as an athlete.

Hey, it's not like you guys aren't making killer points on this. I'm listening. I don't think Sully is an elite talent either at this point. He's not a top pick candidate. I just don't know where his celing is yet guys. You don't have to jump out of the gym to be a very good player, even in the Association, even on the blocks. Lee's Love example is a good one. I think Boozer is another. And then you're talking about going back to guys like Dantley and Barkley who had a freaky inside knack.

I don't think you all are wrong, but I don't know ur right yet. I do think on the college level too many are too hard on the kid, esp after the loss. He got zero help.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Late to the thread.

Whine: Bracket-makers didn't do the #1 overall seed any favors. Tough bracket.

Kentucky was a tough match-up for the Bucks. I did not want to play them. Long, athletic. Perimeters can drive AND shoot. A physical wide body that could play behind Sully and make him shoot over him. Watching Northwestern play tOSU with no doubles on Sully while playing a large body behind Sully made me nervous about that strategy against the Bucks. KY mixed in their dribble drive and ball screens well. I loved their dribble hand-offs with bigs dribbling into a wing defender, wiping out the D and clearing the lane for the guard after the hand-off.

Thought the Bucks were stagnant on O. They were all year, but they banked on being able to penetrate and pitch or dump at some point in a possession. KYs athleticism and length made that difficult. Cut down our penetration a ton. Hence necessitating off ball movement, which the Bucks don't do much.

Love Craft. He plays with a TON of swagger!! He got off-balance a little on the last D possession but recovered to nearly get his elbow in the shooter's face. I think Craft turned down some open shots when everyone else was getting clamped down. He has shown the ability to score, but didn't look to against KY.

Buford settled for WAY too many contested fade-away 17 footers off the dribble with the game on the line, especially for someone who was as cold as ...

I love Sully. Great hands. Great touch and awareness around the hoop. Great timing. Good passer and instincts. However, like many of you, I am in no way convinced his game translates to the NBA. Limited hops and wheels. EVERY NBA team has players that can play behind him and push him around. How do you guys compare him to JJ Hickson? Different types of players, but both looking to play the 4 spot.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:24 am

OldDawg wrote:. How do you guys compare him to JJ Hickson? Different types of players, but both looking to play the 4 spot.

Put Sully's head, heart, feet, and hands on JJ and you'd have one hell of a young player.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena