Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Throwdown in Beantown

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Throwdown in Beantown

Unread postby 216 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:06 pm

Going to Boston for a few days (April 11th-15th)
Hopefully weather wont be to cold, staying right downtown I will be walking almost everywhere. I perfer walking through cities if I can, I feel like I get more out of it.

Looking for a few good places to get my grub on. Any suggestions?
I wont be to far from The North End (Bostons Little Italy)

Checked out the travel channel site suprisingly it had more food recommendations for Cleveland then Boston. :cheers:

Re: Throwdown in Beantown

Unread postby waborat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:12 pm

Head over to Lee's Bed 'n Breakfast...

Fresh flowers & laptops in every room ;-) ;) :wink:
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:43 pm

The North End is over-rated, like wabo as a poster.

Eat in the South End.

It's easy to walk everywhere.

Drink a lot.

I already wrote a bunch of shit out for someone on this board somewhere a year or so ago, too lazy to go find it though.

And "right downtown" isn't very descriptive. If you are in the downtown/crossing or financial district area you made a mistake, since it's work mostly. Stay in the Back Bay, NE, or Beacon Hill always unless you are right on the common "downtown"

And don't fuck with the Back Bay, you can't handle it.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:19 pm

Here, I just sent out an email to my step mother with some restaurants:

http://id3417.securedata.net/viamattare ... /movie.htm

http://www.lockeober.com/

http://www.thebutchershopboston.com/

http://www.bandgoysters.com/

http://www.siblingrivalryboston.com/

http://www.abeandlouies.com/

Those are just more standard (not date spots, not crazy trendy spots, just awesome food spots. I'd recommend the first four the most.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby swerb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:31 pm

Making my first trip to Boston, I think in Aug. Waiting on the dates for a conference I know is gonna be there. Fired up.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:35 pm

If you are there for a conference don't let them rope you into staying at the hotels by the convention center. It's not way out of the city but it is out of walking distance and isolated, you won't have the Boston experience. Convention center is in the middle of the last undeveloped part of the city, the Seaport (development was delayed by the big dig and then the economic crash). Stay in the city and cab it to the seaport, well worth the $15 or so each way.

And you really, really, should hit up Fenway in August.

Best walking city in the country, you want that experience straight from the hotel at least one day. Maybe switch places for a night or something.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:07 pm

Boston blows.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:13 pm

And we should have left the South secede during the civil war. National IQ would go up 50 points instantly.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:20 pm

If you want to stop and buy e0y2e3 a beer you'll likely find him at the Fritz Lounge Sports Bar:

http://boston.gaycities.com/bars/132-fritz-lounge
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby 216 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:50 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The North End is over-rated, like wabo as a poster.

Eat in the South End.

It's easy to walk everywhere.

Drink a lot.

I already wrote a bunch of shit out for someone on this board somewhere a year or so ago, too lazy to go find it though.Com

And "right downtown" isn't very descriptive. If you are in the downtown/crossing or financial district area you made a mistake, since it's work mostly. Stay in the Back Bay, NE, or Beacon Hill always unless you are right on the common "downtown"

And don't fuck with the Back Bay, you can't handle it.

Thanks for the info. According to you I made a mistake I am staying at the Intercontinental on Atlantic Ave. Looks like its in the Downtown crossing area. I wanted something close to Hanover. I will be walking to the Coast Guard Base on Hanover and Commercial every morning.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:30 am

When KG first moved to Boston post trade the intercontinental had just been finished and he spent six months in the penthouse. Top of the effing line. I was working on the development and got to meet him through some absurd luck. Place is sick. Sexiest modern hotel in the city. That said, you gotta walk a bit to get deep into the city. Nice bar there and if you want some rando bench involved crab dinners I can guide you just across the channel to em.

If I were gonna trade off being on the heartbeat for any hotel it would be yours. Just get ready to walk an extra half mile. If that half mile don't matter to you, then you made the right call.

Edit: yes, my entire life and the majority of the city exists within a 3mile diameter.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:30 am

e0y2e3 wrote:If you are there for a conference don't let them rope you into staying at the hotels by the convention center. It's not way out of the city but it is out of walking distance and isolated, you won't have the Boston experience. Convention center is in the middle of the last undeveloped part of the city, the Seaport (development was delayed by the big dig and then the economic crash). Stay in the city and cab it to the seaport, well worth the $15 or so each way.

And you really, really, should hit up Fenway in August.

Best walking city in the country, you want that experience straight from the hotel at least one day. Maybe switch places for a night or something.

Depends on the size of the convention. For a big, honkin' professional national they might be at the CC. If it is smaller they might be at that cluster by the big Mariott a block from BB @ Copley. The one with walkway to Legal.

BB is way more commercial than Lee would admit. Uno's pizza and shit. And then there's the clove smoking Berklee hipsters posuers. Yeah, it has some funky shops and bars, but Boylston is basically a dirty, smelly, Easton center lifestyle community with churches and some bums sprinkled in. I guess I don't know the hip, underground scene a block off Boylston though. Chortle. Boston wants to be DC if it could get its shit together. And Savannah, Charelston SC, Key West or NOLA all kick the shit out of Boston as a walking city. Portland & Seattle arguably as well. ;-)

But mostly just crackin on Lee for his 'tude of Chowd swag he's so aptly adopted. It is an amazing city and a complete blast. If you can get out to Concord if you like that shit the whole region just reeks history. Pretty trippy to stand on squares where the revolution started. Lots of ghosts if you can feel them.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:36 am

Boylston aint the hood JB, don't ever forget that. My boy lives above that Uno's and spends all his time in the hood for a reason.

And yeah, if the convention is at Hynes Rich be golden.

PS: take that walking city remark back you liar. You can take your small towns and shove em up your ass. Especially the southern ones.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:46 pm

PS: Fuck revolutionary history. I happily pissed on Ben Franklin's mom and Sam Adam's graves in the same night. The history here is for old Browns fans that don't know fun.

PSSSSSSSS: JB. your description wreaks of someone who in and outed for a convo at Hynes. You know that middle of the BB tourist trap tooooo welll. That said I do remember you telling me to go to the BB when I told you I was headed to Boston a few years ago.... *hug*
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:05 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Boylston aint the hood JB, don't ever forget that. My boy lives above that Uno's and spends all his time in the hood for a reason.

And yeah, if the convention is at Hynes Rich be golden.

PS: take that walking city remark back you liar. You can take your small towns and shove em up your ass. Especially the southern ones.

No ball busting in this one. Love the walking Boston thing, but the southern smaller cities are the shit. Thinking more on it, It's Savannah and everyone else is playing for 2nd. And I forgot LaJolla, Cali.

Boston is top 10, but no higher than 5.

So glad to read you kepin' it real in da hood with matt and ben. Probably hangin' in Roxbury too, I''m sure. ;-)
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:07 am

Small cities aren't real cities.

And I do go to the Irish ghetto in Dorchester ever few months.... ;-)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:12 am

Never walked Boston but I'd be good with lower Manhattan (hell, from 42nd down to the SI Ferry) if I had to pick one city to walk.

Charleston is limited in size and scope for walkers but what's there is really, really nice. One of my Top 5 cities to visit.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:05 pm

peeker643 wrote:Never walked Boston but I'd be good with lower Manhattan (hell, from 42nd down to the SI Ferry) if I had to pick one city to walk.

The fuckin' bowery & battery?

No dunkashein
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:04 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Never walked Boston but I'd be good with lower Manhattan (hell, from 42nd down to the SI Ferry) if I had to pick one city to walk.

The fuckin' bowery & battery?

No dunkashein

Yes- Just those spots.

Or maybe Soho, The Village, Little Italy/Chinatown, down in the financial district,
walk by MSG.

Fer fucksake man you're being a bit ornery today. Walking in NYC in a day you can go from Strawberry Fields to Ground Zero.

I went and stayed with a buddy a couple summers back for a week 3 or 4 days. He lives at 28th & 8th almost across the street from MSG. I think we took a cab twice and one of those times was on Staten Island.

It's a LOT of walking. But you can do it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Fer fucksake man you're being a bit ornery today.

Why should today be any different?
:woot:
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:20 am

Look JB, being a bitch because he knows I grew up in the town that his current hometown wishes it was.

He knows I shook off Ursuline, knows I gave Mooney the D and I decided to cheat and play for the farm team.

knows all that and still wishes his Condo was in Canfield instead of Poland. Pretty sure I had a three way with Pete Perry a block from his safe ass condo.

And I swear in the big 33 Game I saw JB rubbing Gabby Denbo's greek hair.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Gonna be in Boston Aug Sun Aug 7- Thurs Aug 11 ... staying at the Boston Marriott Copley Place at 110 Huntington Ave. Conference is there, gotta stay there.

Yankees/Red Sox play in Fenway the Sunday I get there (getting in early) ... will likely be the 8 PM ESPN Sunday Night Baseball game. Gonna try to get duckets if they aren't too insane.

Gonna have some flexibility late night (after like 9-10) Mon and Tues nights to get out ... and most of Wedns and Wedns night. Any recommendations would be much appreciado. Lee, would love to meet up for a couple cold ones one of those days.

Fired up. Never been to Boston.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:39 am

That’s less than a ten minute walk for me so we can meet up somewhere for sure.

I’d make sure and hit up the Yankee – Sox game and I would get down to Kenmore (Fenway) a couple hours early to eat and have some beers. Would try and hit up Boston Beer Works down there if I were you. I’ll make recs on meals and stuff later, although I am assuming you are going to want to stay close to the hotel on Monday and Tuesday at the least.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:53 pm

Gonna get tickets for the Sunday night, Aug 7 Red Sox/Yankees game. Only seats under $100 a pop are bleachers ... how shitty a seat is that at Fenway? Are any of the standing room sections worth looking into?

Have no problem paying a little more ... there are some infield and outfield grandstand tickets in the $150-$200/seat range. Worth the payup?

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:55 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:That’s less than a ten minute walk for me so we can meet up somewhere for sure.

I’d make sure and hit up the Yankee – Sox game and I would get down to Kenmore (Fenway) a couple hours early to eat and have some beers. Would try and hit up Boston Beer Works down there if I were you. I’ll make recs on meals and stuff later, although I am assuming you are going to want to stay close to the hotel on Monday and Tuesday at the least.

For sure.

Mon and Tues lunches and dinners are covered already ... any recs on spots for Wedns would be appreciated. And late night Mon/Tues shenanigans.

Appreciate it.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:17 pm

Lee- is Legal Seafood a regional, mediocre chain or a place worth hitting when in the area? I remember being impressed 20 years ago with the place and the 1 1/2lb lobster milanese (especially given my then-employer was paying the bill) but wonder how it stacks up overall.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby General » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:51 am

I am debating a trip to Beantown in September. Who can direct me to a decent hotle near Fenway/Bar areas? Thanks!!!
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:37 am

Legal is all over the Northeast now (first had it in B-More) and is as meh as meh gets.

For a giant chain it’s okay and all, but meh.

Meh.

Meh.

I’ll hit your stuff up this weekend Swerb, maybe even later today. Just saw this since I normally only check this forum every so often (I mean you can only read so many Peeker B-Day Messages and beer discussions). If I’m feeling sprightly I’ll even hit you up w/ some maps and stuff.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:47 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Legal is all over the Northeast now (first had it in B-More) and is as meh as meh gets.

Meh.

Meh.

I’ll hit your stuff up this weekend Swerb, maybe even later today. Just saw this since I normally only check this forum every so often (I mean you can only read so many Peeker B-Day Messages and beer discussions). If I’m feeling sprightly I’ll even hit you up w/ some maps and stuff.

I'm a goodwill ambassador for this place dude. You know that.

With that in mind, if you're really feeling 'sprightly', throw yourself in front of a bus or fast moving cab. That'll always cure 'sprightly'. :nanner:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Jumbo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:01 am

swerb wrote:Gonna be in Boston Aug Sun Aug 7- Thurs Aug 11 ... staying at the Boston Marriott Copley Place at 110 Huntington Ave. Conference is there, gotta stay there.

Damn...that's the same week I'm on vacation...in Cleveland.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Jumbo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:05 am

swerb wrote:Gonna get tickets for the Sunday night, Aug 7 Red Sox/Yankees game. Only seats under $100 a pop are bleachers ... how shitty a seat is that at Fenway? Are any of the standing room sections worth looking into?

Have no problem paying a little more ... there are some infield and outfield grandstand tickets in the $150-$200/seat range. Worth the payup?

Bleachers are pretty good as long as you're in the lower half. The centerfield bleachers, however, keep going up and up. Some of the standing room sections are excellent, but make sure that you're in one of the special ones (don't remember what they're called right now). You can have a $25 (face) standing room ticket in the exact same section as an $65 (face - I think that's how much they were) seat one row below. Actually, I think that's the way to tell if you have a good standing room area - $25 face vs. $20 face, where you're stuck along the railing at the top of the infield sections.

Be wary of the outfield grandstand seats. There's numerous obstructed view areas that put the pole seats in Municipal Stadium to shame.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:07 am

Yeah - if I'm not sitting in an old timers grandfathered season tickets that a friends family has I do standing room only but I cannot for the life of me think of what the section is called.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:16 pm

peeker643 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Legal is all over the Northeast now (first had it in B-More) and is as meh as meh gets.

Meh.

Meh.

I'm a goodwill ambassador for this place dude. You know that.

With that in mind, if you're really feeling 'sprightly', throw yourself in front of a bus or fast moving cab. That'll always cure 'sprightly'. :nanner:
I might be in Beantown this fall, with a car, so this could very well happen if everything falls into place just right.

Just sayin.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:33 pm

A Lee and Donny pub crawl in Boston. This must happen - MTV is already salavating at the prospect. Film crews are on standby.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:35 pm

They could call the show something like Behind Enemy lines.....I just came up with that, all on my own.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:02 am

No
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?