Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Ex Coach says the Raiders helped ruin JaMarcus Russell

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Ex Coach says the Raiders helped ruin JaMarcus Russell

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:11 pm

SD:

The story some suspected in limited detail

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... p=obinsite

The personal passing coach to former Oakland Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell said the team is partly responsible for the failed tenure of the former No. 1 overall draft pick.
Tom Martinez told the New York Times that the Raiders did not provide a supportive environment to allow Russell to play well after the team made him the first overall pick in 2007.

"He was never wanted there by any of the coaches," Martinez told the paper. "The only one who wanted him there was Al Davis."

Russell was cut in early May and is considered one of the biggest draft busts in NFL history. Former teammates have said Russell's effort level was a problem.

While Martinez didn't deny Russell's effort issues, he said the Raiders didn't teach him properly and gave him "receivers who don't know how to get open, who don't know how to separate."

Martinez, also a personal coach to Tom Brady, said the New York Jets, who may be considering adding Russell as a backup to Mark Sanchez, would be a good option for Russell.

"With the Jets, they run the ball and that will help him, it will open up the passing game," Martinez said. "If he gets that and actually has receivers who can get open, then the Jets will have a steal."

-- Sean Leahy

SD:

Codeine addict who has been working with John Lucas to return .

Must be more prevelant problem than advertised as I read another player whose name escapes me , got busted this weekend for intent to distribute .

I remember when Farve went public over being addicted to pain killers, and hell that was a decade ago , must of found something smoother because at 40 aspirin don't dent arthritis let alone those hits he was taking .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Re: Ex Coach says the Raiders helped ruin JaMarcus Russell

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:42 pm

Al Davis personally drove him to the Golden Corral?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby hiko » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:13 pm

I'm sure the Raiders had a hand in ruining JaMarcus Russell.

JaMarcus Russell had the bigger hand in it. The ol' coaches-don't-like-me-receivers-aren't-good excuses only go so far.

He's got time for a comeback, but that's really up to him.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:42 pm

That, and not being a good QB. Like Cam Newton.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:50 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Al Davis personally drove him to the Golden Corral?

SD:

No Kiffin , he didn't like him.

Seriously wheres that quote from Animal House.

"Fat Dumb and stoopid is no way to go thru life "

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:That, and not being a good QB. Like Cam Newton.

SD:

Russell was never a good QB , but that bastard could throw the pill.

Terrible leadership & decision making and couldn't push his fat ass away from the table and was about as mobile out of the pocket as Bernie Kosar.

There is no parallel with Newton.

But he is on par with Ryan Leaf as a disappointing busta.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:05 pm

The irony of the subtle attempt at persistence in this thread is damn near priceless.

SD you'll stop at nothing to try to infuse your obsession and make excuses for your quacked out need for a big arm.

Now there is something to the point that a QB prospect can be ruined, in this case (and maybe in many others) it is possible QB's get derailed if the org's FO isn't on the same page in terms of who they want at the helm of the offense. It also speaks to the point of how important a surrounding cast and a solid offensive platform can be in getting a young QB to gain his wings.

But the bottom line is real, true, stud prospects (big arm or not) really can't be derailed by such internal influences by an org, they simply become what they are going to become regardless. That is, usually solid pro QB's who sometimes get accompanying pieces and get to the top, or sometimes not.

These recent claims by an ex Raider coach do not all of sudden make you right and everybody else wrong, but again you're persistent. Too bad you're not young & spree you could make some good use of that persistence.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:14 pm

hiko wrote:I'm sure the Raiders had a hand in ruining JaMarcus Russell.

JaMarcus Russell had the bigger hand in it. The ol' coaches-don't-like-me-receivers-aren't-good excuses only go so far.

He's got time for a comeback, but that's really up to him.

SD:

Agreed I never bought that excuse when it was conveniently flashed around here to make excuses for poor QB play .

Good QB's make mediocre receiving crews better and good crews great.

Pisses me off to no end seeing these kids waste the god given talent the everyday guy can only pray for.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Next up on SportsCenter, Ryan Leaf claims its all Mike Riley's fault.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Next up on SportsCenter, Ryan Leaf claims its all Mike Riley's fault.

SD:

Bobby Beathard moved heaven and Earth for that kid , there was never a question of support .

Cost him his job .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:54 pm

FUDU wrote:The irony of the subtle attempt at persistence in this thread is damn near priceless.

SD you'll stop at nothing to try to infuse your obsession and make excuses for your quacked out need for a big arm.

Now there is something to the point that a QB prospect can be ruined, in this case (and maybe in many others) it is possible QB's get derailed if the org's FO isn't on the same page in terms of who they want at the helm of the offense. It also speaks to the point of how important a surrounding cast and a solid offensive platform can be in getting a young QB to gain his wings.

But the bottom line is real, true, stud prospects (big arm or not) really can't be derailed by such internal influences by an org, they simply become what they are going to become regardless. That is, usually solid pro QB's who sometimes get accompanying pieces and get to the top, or sometimes not.

These recent claims by an ex Raider coach do not all of sudden make you right and everybody else wrong, but again you're persistent. Too bad you're not young & spree you could make some good use of that persistence.

SD:

First off let me say I think Russell is a lazy fuckin Jackass , two stoopid to tie his own shoelaces for squandering his chance in the fashion he did regardless if the coaches hated him or not.

Doesn't happen to often that you pick a #1 that the coaching staff isolate and treat as a parriha (sp)although many a pick has landed in coaches dog houses a time or too.

Reminds me of Parcells calling the wideout She when Kraft forced him to take him or Tom Landry giving the talented Dwayne Thomas the blues or Norm Van Brocklynns open hatred of Fran Tarkenton.

Kiffin didn't need much to scuttle Russell

First an ill advised hold out by his idiot agents , which resulted in his first year being wasted and then no attempt to grab this kid around the collar grow him up and bring him into the fold.

A rich country bumpkin left to his own devices as the boobie prize between a Raiduh turf war.

I think he'd of faired better here in Cleveland because Savage wanted him bad and would have pulled out all stops like Beathard did for Leaf , but as we saw in that case , players hellbent on self destruction will still find a way to self destruct .

Rest assured if Newton was tabbed here , it would be after a consensus between Homie Heckert and Shurmur , Homie wouldn't force him on Shurmur and Heckert wouldn't do the deal unless requested .

Still hardly guarantees success at the next level , but it does guarantee the pitfalls which helped stifle Russell wouldn't be repeated here.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:21 pm

I'll always wonder what would have been if Russell had only picked up crystal meth instead of codeine.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:33 am

If not for Chris Palmer Couch would still be the Browns QB...

SD calling Jamarcus fat, stupid and lazy is sum serious LOFL after he ate 300 miles of Russell's shit just to see where it came from
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:21 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:If not for Chris Palmer Couch would still be the Browns QB...

SD calling Jamarcus fat, stupid and lazy is sum serious LOFL after he ate 300 miles of Russell's shit just to see where it came from

SD:

It is what it is you fuckin moron .

I wanted Russell for the Browns as bad as Savage wanted to draft him , just as much as I was gung ho for the Couch deal .

and you were waiving that flag just as high as I was , probably more so .

But unlike yourself and too many other suckas I knew when I had been had years before you could accept that reality.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:28 am

motherscratcher wrote:I'll always wonder what would have been if Russell had only picked up crystal meth instead of codeine.

SD:

He'd of been a Hillbilly instead of just an underachieving Jackass, but still out of football nonetheless.

on a side note .

Palmer never was really sold on Couch , he mentioned the screw in his throwing hand and raved about the strength of A kill me Smiths arm , then Carmen and Dwight pulled him in the back room pulled his pants down and took turns , where as Palmer exited the backroom singing soprano to their bass from the same him book on Couch.

The offense Palmer installed never fit Couches skill set , but even he wasn't so bold as Kiffen to offer non support.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:59 am

Pretty much for some stupid reason, Carmen was sold on Couch being Kosar II and being the new face the franchise needed from the sound of it.

Akili Smith was a dumbass, but Couch looked like he had some potential when they took a peak at him.

Hindsight is 20/20, should have drafted Ricky and held him hostage and picked up more picks from N.O.

Actually, if I were to do the whole thing over again, I'd have made sure that Shula was running the show, and that Dolan was the owner.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:37 am

Couch was a great qb prospect coming out and worthy of that pick in every regard given the rest of the class.

All this rest is just revisionist bulllshit.

As for SD and his JMC pimpage?

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:40 am

Triple-S wrote:Pretty much for some stupid reason, Carmen was sold on Couch being Kosar II and being the new face the franchise needed from the sound of it.

Akili Smith was a dumbass, but Couch looked like he had some potential when they took a peak at him.

Hindsight is 20/20, should have drafted Ricky and held him hostage and picked up more picks from N.O.

Actually, if I were to do the whole thing over again, I'd have made sure that Shula was running the show, and that Dolan was the owner.

SD:

Carmen was selling tickets and PSL's he had to front an image .

In that he was successful , had me swallow the Couch as the best choice Mantra while not even interviewing McNabb or seriously looking at the Rickey Williams deal.

In retrospect they were so intent on Couch as the golden boy , they even ignored other QB's in the expansion draft when they had no arms at all.

Wonder if the Browns fortunes would have changed had we been astute enough to tab Kurt Warner for a flyer.

That coulda been bigger than Mumbles stumblin on Brady in the sixth.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:57 am

jb wrote:Couch was a great qb prospect coming out and worthy of that pick in every regard given the rest of the class.

All this rest is just revisionist bulllshit.

As for SD and his JMC pimpage?

SD:

We were on the same page when Couch was drafted.

I never deny i swallowed that hook same as all the rest of the carp .

However once the bloom was off the rose , we found out he couldn't read a playbook and was running a playground offense under mummy , which allowed im to put up unbelievable numbers in College vs those meager secondaries.

In the Pros after his first year which Tim played on sheer guts alone , he forever looked lost , too many times the comments about when his lightbulb was going to come on were used in regards to Tim .

The money went to his head , he dumped his childhood fiancee in liue of playboy center spreads and arrogantly thought the team couldn't do without him .

Didn't study worth spit and couldn't read a defense to save his life , which is why he got bounced outta Green bay quicker than Ben gay even though he was making just above the league minimum at $600,000. after stoopidly spurning Butches incentive based deal with a $ 6 million dollar bonus because Butch had the nerve to ask the fuckhead to compete .

Stoopid fucker overplayed his hand and tested the market and found out , nobody but the Browns was dumb enough to pay that jerkoff that kinda jack .

Kid was never the same mentally after taking a concussion vs B More when he cried foolishly thinking the cheers for Holcomb coming in were for him being hurt .

and never the same physically after he snapped his arm in an exhibition vs Greenbay during the Couch vs Holcomb show down year.

$39 million actual pay,for nothing but JB's idol who he worships everyday to this day.

Thats some mean green for a bobblehead.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:14 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:If not for Chris Palmer Couch would still be the Browns QB...

SD:

It is what it is you fuckin moron .

I wanted Russell for the Browns as bad as Savage wanted to draft him , just as much as I was gung ho for the Couch deal .

and you were waiving that flag just as high as I was , probably more so .

But unlike yourself and too many other suckas I knew when I had been had years before you could accept that reality.

SoulDawg

I always liked Couch. Even at the end...unlike your hatin' ass

He had some awesome games where he threaded needles and looked to be all that he was ever pimped to be

In his last Packers pre season game he was nails to the Cross of Jesus Christ Himself

....then some no-named FA moron ran into his elbow in practice and he was never the same...

And that is the absofuckinglutest fucking point that NEVER EVER gets mentioned in the midst of Couch-bashing

My pimpage of Samuels in the middle of all the Courtney & Arrington hype was to draft a fuking LT to protect your franchise QB...rankings be damned

The End.

Moi? I never ate any Jamarcus' turds nor will I wait around and hold a roll of toilet paper for Cam Newton
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:16 pm

I wanted Russell for the Browns as bad as Savage wanted to draft him

LOFL

...and you said that because Savage was such a great GM and talent evaluator

Props to your standards :thumb up:
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Admittingly, I fell into the Jamarcus camp, thinking that maybe, just maybe, Cleveland could have it's own version of big ben...

Yeah....fools gold right there.

I will say it until I'm blue in the face, give me an accurate, smart, cool in the heat of battle, mobile QB any day of the week. Give me that over a guy with just a big arm. I believe coach sam made a good comparison to Jimmy Chitwood saying "I'll make it" at the end of Hoosiers, thats the sort of guy you want. Not arrogance, but a bit of a swagger to him, a guy who's a winner, and wants the ball in his hands and knows just what to do with it.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL