Text Size

College Sports Arena

TSV Requests Suspension Be Extended to 5 Games

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: TSV Requests Suspension Be Extended to 5 Games

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:12 pm

I think some of you are downplaying this violation (see: Pearl and Bryant results) but that debate has already been beaten to death. What I don't get is why so many of you think his firing/resignation would be such a disaster. He was probably 3-4 years away from retiring anyway, either Pelini or Meyer would be in Columbus post haste, and your slam dunk recruiting base isn't going anywhere. I'm a Michigan fan and would love nothing more than to see your program crater for 10 years, but it's not going to happen. You'll lose a few scholarships, vacate wins that don't matter anymore, or get a one year bowl ban at the absolute worst. If you just cut your losses with Tressel, you'll be both a national contender and completely moved on by 2013. Isn't that preferable to the stigma/negative recruiting fodder that Tressel would now carry with him? In this day and age, you can't underestimate what a media crusade can do to a college football team.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby pup » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:24 am

Nobody sees an issue with the fact, supposedly, Tress trusted this info with some guy, but was too scared for the players safety to mention it to his AD?

Which is why Tress is going down. There is NO way Smith had no clue about this and if the hounds keep sniffing, they are going to find it.

This latest info stinks. But the 2A came sniffing because Tress screwed up under the pressure of that press conference and admitted the e-mails were forwarded. If they were forwarded to the Buckeye staff, this is going to USCesque punishment. So you answer that question be saying yes, he forwarded it to the future WR's psuedodaddy so he could help.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:08 am

He fries on 10.1 for this. He has to. Whatever that entails. We can rationalize it any way we want to and we will, but the bottom line in all of this is he knew and he told his QB's fucking guru instead of who he should.

Now why did he do that?

You think it was out of love and respect for a young kid caught up in shit he was way over his head in or because it was his starting QB?

And does it matter? The nation and the NCAA will judge.

And you better hope they find Tressel alone was in violation of 10.1 and a fraud. Because 'institutional control' is hanging out just behind that. And if you don't think it can get to that point with everything else going on in Columbus right now and with all the attention turned toward tOSU then you need to grab another Block O blankie and throw it over your head.

This shit is just starting. Where were we two weeks ago and where are we today? Is it worse today? Did you think we'd be here?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:59 am

furls wrote:Dude you nailed and I was saying AMEN, right up until you went "righteous."

But to flat out lie about an ongoing investigation for MONTHS after that investigation began? That's the exact opposite of moral integrity and goes above and beyond just playing college coaching games.

Your comments are a bit inflammatory and imply an ongoing circle of lies, when in fact, we have no idea when or how often Tressel lied about this to the NCAA. This just came up in December, it is quite possible (even probable) that the only time Tressel was questioned on this by the NCAA was in Dec. He started coming clean about forwarding the email when Gene Smith stepped in and answered for him.

To be honest with you, I bet that Tressel (like anyone else that has ever had a flock of immature 19 year olds) has buried a few bodies. As an NCO/SNCO in the USMC, 1/3 of my job was burying the figurative bodies for my Marines, picking up drunk under age kids in Waikiki and not saying a word because at least they called me instead of getting behind the wheel and so on. I tend to think that I did a pretty good job as a leader, but technically, I probably should have fried those devil dogs and wrote them up for drinking underage. How many times do you think TSV's 85 rockstars, surrounded by tempation on a college campus, ran a foul of the law or NCAA and it never made it to the AD or anywhere else? I would say way more than we would ever want to know.

Kids make mistakes, and sometimes leaders rationalize actions, that are wrong. It doesn't make them evil, just human.

But Furls, if you knew a kid was dealing rock on the base and was a good kid, covered for him for awhile and tried to rehab him and failed, would you have covered AFTER they were CAUGHT? If your <insert higher military title here> busted your kids would you have kept up the lie and covered for yourself at that point? Or as an adult would you have admitted that you tried to help him and failed? Post them getting busted he could have pulled the criminal investigation card and walked out. What he did was selfish. How many months between the guys getting busted and his emails being "accidentally" found?

And if it isn't on him and the team covered it all up.................

I find more justice re: your rational with him forwarding the email to TPeezy's handler (assuming, of course, this guy is a real male figure in TPeezy's life and not a fuck that is looking to make a buck).
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:01 am

Oh and if you think the NCAA asked him "once" about this, well... come on man.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:44 am

Furls -- good posts, good perspective. We don't agree on all the issues, but I can see where you (and others) are coming from.

Bottom line for me boils down to this question: Should OSU fire him now? I say, yes. First, lying multiple times to the NCAA is a fireable offense in my mind. Second, IMO OSu needs to be proactive and at least act like they give a shit...whether or not OSU or anyone out there thinks this is a "big deal", the NCAA certainly does, and thats all that really matters. Third, I think OSU looks worse by staying with JT than by cutting ties with him. As sad as it sounds, the court of public opinion matters today. The general public is killing JT and OSU now...imagine what will happen if they keep him on and more comes to light?

YMMV.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:56 am

FUDU:

You're missing the point. This decision shouldnt be based on whether (a) it is RELATIVELY a big deal (ie: in a world of recruiting violations, paying players, Cam Newton nonsense, etc), (b) we can replace him adequately (jesus...), or (c) whether those calling for his head have skeletons in their figurative closets.

Dude lied multiple times to the NCAA. That's a fireable offense. OSU should fire him. Things like whether we can hire Urb Myer should not enter into the discussion. Christ.

And to your point about giving the players a second chance...Christ, I hope we hold our head coach to a higher standard than 18 yr old kids.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:04 am

peeker643 wrote:Now why did he do that?

You think it was out of love and respect for a young kid caught up in shit he was way over his head in or because it was his starting QB?

Ask Mo and Troy.

This stinks to high heaven, and I'm really starting to believe that this had to go higher than just Tressel.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby fundamentals » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:45 am

"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena