Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Bowers vs Courtney Brown , Man vs Miss

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Bowers vs Courtney Brown , Man vs Miss

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:19 am

Been tracking this kid when comparisons of his exploits were destructed vs the the other top defensive line picks like Quinn and Dareus and Fairley and I think , I've found my favorite .

Bowers comes from a southern town of 4000, with one red light , but unabashedly takes pride in that fact , and that he was raised by the entire community.

Waded thru the issue some are making about his partially torn meniscus , and tracked
the complaint his production was nil his first two years while exploding in his money year .

Found out on NFLN the kid was close to his dad who died in August which forced him to grow up from a boy , ( his own admission ) and become a Man .

That was my main bitch about Miss Courtney , she was a heartless bitch then and a still a f u c k in pussy now , and this ain't no girls game , fucker never knew what time it is and played that way .

Dareus is the kid I most associate with King Kong Suh in his abilities , but this kid Bowers reminds me of the most fearsome sack master who ever terrorized the gridiron .....Deacon Jones.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Re: Bowers vs Courtney Brown , Man vs Miss

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:26 am

Donno...Brown seemed like he was going to be a pretty good player for us for the first 5 games in 2001. Showed a lot of promise and 4.5 sacks in 5 games, on pace for 14, even one touchdown, which I'm trying to remember how and when he scored that.

When he got hurt in the Bears game, it just wasn't the same after that. I stll gold out that Gerard "Big Waste of Money" Warren was the bigger bust.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:52 am

Triple-S wrote:Donno...Brown seemed like he was going to be a pretty good player for us for the first 5 games in 2001. Showed a lot of promise and 4.5 sacks in 5 games, on pace for 14, even one touchdown, which I'm trying to remember how and when he scored that.

When he got hurt in the Bears game, it just wasn't the same after that. I stll gold out that Gerard "Big Waste of Money" Warren was the bigger bust.

SD:

At #1 overall in the draft , that kid has to set a tone albeit offense or defense .

We chose Browns marshamallow ass over the militant alley mugger Lavar Arrington.

On defense you have to draft people who want to hurt somebody (not injure or maim )
but fuckin ornery bastards who relish in your pain .

Game changers who will rip out your heart and eat it in front of you before you pass out.

Tampa Bay game sealed the coffin on Miss Brown , Warren Sapp lined up in the backfield ran a lead block and destroyed him and while dancing in the endzone with his panties yelled he's soft he's soft OMG he's a fuckin pussy .

Quiet storm my ass .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:42 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:Bowers comes from a southern town of 4000, with one red light , but unabashedly takes pride in that fact , and that he was raised by the entire community.

"Early yearsGrowing up in Alvin, SC, Brown attended Macedonia High School and was an All-American linebacker his senior year. He also contributed on offense by playing tight end. Brown earned Gatorade Player-of-the-Year accolades in his senior year. He played in the East-West Shrine Game. Brown was also an accomplished basketball star playing in the North/South All-Star game. Throughout his high school career, he maintained a 4.0 GPA."

http://www.zipareacode.net/alvin-sc.htm
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:32 pm

jb wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:Bowers comes from a southern town of 4000, with one red light , but unabashedly takes pride in that fact , and that he was raised by the entire community.

"Early yearsGrowing up in Alvin, SC, Brown attended Macedonia High School and was an All-American linebacker his senior year. He also contributed on offense by playing tight end. Brown earned Gatorade Player-of-the-Year accolades in his senior year. He played in the East-West Shrine Game. Brown was also an accomplished basketball star playing in the North/South All-Star game. Throughout his high school career, he maintained a 4.0 GPA."

SD:

Bowers ain't got no 4.0 nor aspirations to be a rocket scientist .

He loves to sack QB's , tastes like Fried Chicken .

Bowers knows what time it is he can feed his family and make his dead father proud , unlike miss Brown who loved the money but never loved the game.

BTW , even Joe Pa couldn't figuire out Courtney , when he had chances to kill the QB , he'd figuire out a way to lay him down easy

Makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

YMMV.

SoulDawg

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:55 pm

BTW , even Joe Pa couldn't figuire out Courtney , when he had chances to kill the QB , he'd figuire out a way to lay him down easy

You are clueless

Besides, the pick should have been Samuels

Any moron shoulda seen it and thats to anyone whose head fits the hat from PSU fan

...and I was adamant about it
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby yogi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:30 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
jb wrote:

SD:

Bowers knows what time it is he can feed his family and make his dead father proud , unlike miss Brown who loved the money but never loved the game.

YMMV.

SoulDawg

SoulDawg

SD, I was an Arrington pimp that year too. I like my D to have a nasty edge to them.

But, I dont think thats the end all and be all to a football player. Merlin Olsen was the nice guy you'd ever meet on and off the field. He'd sack a guy as gentle as he could, help him up and sack him again the next play.

Courtney may have been that way, but he got hurt and was never the same player he showed flashes of being his first year.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:24 pm

yogi wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
jb wrote:

SD:

YMMV.

SoulDawg

SoulDawg

SD, I was an Arrington pimp that year too. I like my D to have a nasty edge to them.

But, I dont think thats the end all and be all to a football player. Merlin Olsen was the nice guy you'd ever meet on and off the field. He'd sack a guy as gentle as he could, help him up and sack him again the next play.

Courtney may have been that way, but he got hurt and was never the same player he showed flashes of being his first year.

SD:

Injurie are no excus the ability to stay healthy goes hand and hang with how
much talent you bring to the table , and is part of your frade.

Courtney showed up twice a year , in games vs the inbred ,
where he wanted to show off for his Pa friends .

That and one game vs Chicago that was just crazy .

The rest of the time he was JAG , and #1 overall has to be a star .

looked like Tarzan and played like Jane .

Merlin Olsen , Carl Eller, Bob lilly Bubba Smith and Jim Marshall were all quiet gentleman , but on the field they would tear off your head and hand it to you they set the tone by their play .

Courtney was content to follow not lead by example.

If your chosen to be #1 overall and your content to be just another guy , your a fuckin bust.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:31 am

Great story. Heart-felt, really.

Now, show me where any of that answers questions about his lack of first step speed, his injury concerns, and the fact that he is a one-year wonder.

I pass on him at 6.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:41 am

Who the hell do you think Arrington played behind??????

Brown and PSU played the first game of the college season his Sr year in August.

He played every game for PSU including their bowl game, arrived on time for the Browns, played every pre-season game and the enire 16 game season

Dude played 33 freaking games in 16 months pluse practices

You're entitled to your opinion but your facts and your takes are consistantly Pure Bullshit

....and Samuels had a better career than Arrington which makes your take even more non-sensical
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:

Who the hell do you think Arrington played behind??????

Brown and PSU played the first game of the college season his Sr year in August.

He played every game for PSU including their bowl game, arrived on time for the Browns, played every pre-season game and the enire 16 game season

Dude played 33 freaking games in 16 months pluse practices

You're entitled to your opinion but your facts and your takes are consistantly Pure Bullshit

....and Samuels had a better career than Arrington which makes your take even more non-sensical

SD:

Hey stoopid , try and keep up .

Brown Arrington and Samuels were all top picks .

Samuels was rated third out of that bunch , lasted longer than both of the others , but was nobodies Jonathan Ogden or Bosselli.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:49 am

SD, my only motivation for posting was you made abig hairy deal out of Bowers background being from a small SC city. Then you contnued your typical after the fact by a decade character assasination of a star - crossed kid who gave his all but for whom it didn't work out in a shitty situation. An exercize I might point out that noone an dthey Momma gives a sewar rat's ass about.

And they had the almost exact same type of hometown.

I don't know Bowers' knee condistion and neither do you.
jb

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:33 pm

jb wrote:SD, my only motivation for posting was you made abig hairy deal out of Bowers background being from a small SC city. Then you contnued your typical after the fact by a decade character assasination of a star - crossed kid who gave his all but for whom it didn't work out in a shitty situation. An exercize I might point out that noone an dthey Momma gives a sewar rat's ass about.

And they had the almost exact same type of hometown.

I don't know Bowers' knee condistion and neither do you.

SD:

Dareus is the safets pick , butt we need a hard edged end who can get to the QB if we're gonna have any type of defense .

Quinn has standup 34 OLB written all over him IMO ,butt I'd take him in a heart beat as Warren Sapp was all over his skill set ,

Turned me off a little that he wasn't stronger in the bench at 20 reps ,but I didn't factor in how long is arms are .

Lot harder for those type guys to push up the bar , that and not playing last year.

On Brown , never liked him made no bones about it then , and still don't , the leadership qualities you need were never present ,I bemoaned his lack of intensity before he was drafted and said it was a recipe for disaster.,

Would possibly been a star following the lead somewhere else , but i said it was foolish at the time to draft this kid to set a tone for your defense and Arrington would better serve those purposes.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:15 pm

jb wrote:

SD:

After Quinns Pro day ,Bowers picked a bad time to look less than his best .

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-pro-day/

The Votes are in , and I'm all in on Quinn...

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:02 pm

Everything SD says about Courtney Brown is dead-on. Guy was a cake-eater right from the jump. Injuries were an excuse. There was zero fire, zero passion and zero drive in him.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:33 pm

SD's boy Mayock has him slipping out of his top 10 after his pro day. This kid's knee, lack of first step, and only one year of production scare me. I avoid him like the plague.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:23 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:SD's boy Mayock has him slipping out of his top 10 after his pro day. This kid's knee, lack of first step, and only one year of production scare me. I avoid him like the plague.

SD:

You got that right , the difference between Quinns 265 and his 280 was baby fat not muscle .

I know his knee was injuried butt there was no excuse for him not to lift , at the combine and again on his pro day.

I was prepared to factor in rust , but ducking the weight pile killed it .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:54 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
jb wrote:

SD:

After Quinns Pro day ,Bowers picked a bad time to look less than his best .

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-pro-day/

The Votes are in , and I'm all in on Quinn...

SoulDawg

Stop the MF'n presses. You are I are in lock step.

Quinn is the guy we need. When was the last time we agreed? 2000 ? 11 years ago with LaVar?

Get me Jurnigan in round 2 so we get some speed on O and the ORT we desperately need at 3, then DL, DB and more DL & DB. Skip the project QB. Sign another CB and vet ORT if and when FA happens.
jb

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 pm

Is he gonna be available for our 2nd pick? Guy's sinking like the Edmund Fitzgerald.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:12 am

metalhead9x9 wrote:Is he gonna be available for our 2nd pick? Guy's sinking like the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Watch. Ozzie will end up getting Bowers. Because he's Ozzie and that shit always happens for him. Then he'll be all- pro for a decade and Quinn will be off the team in 5 years when the new coach team president Marty Schotenheimer hires goes to a 3 - 4 and he's Kennard Lang for a bad season.
jb

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:16 am

I'd be afraid to draft Quinn at 6. Too many questions for a pick the Browns can't whiff.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:58 am

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:I'd be afraid to draft Quinn at 6. Too many questions for a pick the Browns can't whiff.

What questions? Off field or on field?

Off field. Is the question he did the same thing as AJ Green? That the NCAA likes selective enforcement? That what he did taking 2 watches was the same or less than the Tat Pack but since it was UNC he lost a season instead of 5 games? Is it tyhat he had a brain tumor? I imagine he's been MRI's more than Greg Oden's knee up there by NFL teams.

Kid was productive on field in 09 with 11 sacks, 19 tackles for losses and best of all 6 forced fumbles. At his workout he turned in a monster performance. A sub 4.6 with is burst is sick. Thing is, he's no WW. Kid has football skills. Moves. Flexibility.. Kid also isn't done growing, so this whole "tweener" thing is bunk AFAIC. He will get stronger to hold point.

Think about it: Holmgren has always been around teams with one elite pass rusher aquisition. I bet he considers it a core building block of a team. Dean, White, Wistrom. I'm thinking at 6, if the draft is rational and orderly, Quinn will represent BPA and need as much or more than Green.

They all have questions. But if I can get me the potential of a bigger version of Freeney, I do it and don't look back. Get the WR in round 2 and load up on DL, OT and CB's the rest of the draft.
jb

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:47 am

jb wrote:
JacksonDysonJackson wrote:I'd be afraid to draft Quinn at 6. Too many questions for a pick the Browns can't whiff.

What questions? Off field or on field?

Off field. Is the question he did the same thing as AJ Green? That the NCAA likes selective enforcement? That what he did taking 2 watches was the same or less than the Tat Pack but since it was UNC he lost a season instead of 5 games? Is it tyhat he had a brain tumor? I imagine he's been MRI's more than Greg Oden's knee up there by NFL teams.

Kid was productive on field in 09 with 11 sacks, 19 tackles for losses and best of all 6 forced fumbles. At his workout he turned in a monster performance. A sub 4.6 with is burst is sick. Thing is, he's no WW. Kid has football skills. Moves. Flexibility.. Kid also isn't done growing, so this whole "tweener" thing is bunk AFAIC. He will get stronger to hold point.

Think about it: Holmgren has always been around teams with one elite pass rusher aquisition. I bet he considers it a core building block of a team. Dean, White, Wistrom. I'm thinking at 6, if the draft is rational and orderly, Quinn will represent BPA and need as much or more than Green.

They all have questions. But if I can get me the potential of a bigger version of Freeney, I do it and don't look back. Get the WR in round 2 and load up on DL, OT and CB's the rest of the draft.

I'm actually more concerned with on-the-field issues.

PFW (or was it Mayock?) stated that, when you look at his 09 production, the stats are misleading. Apparently many of his sacks came on plays when he was unblocked (OLinemen brain farts, defensive schemes). Also, came against weaker competition. I'm not nutty enough to break down the kid's film, so I will take what respected analysts say and run with it.

My main cause for concern is the one-year wonder thing...maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but its the same thing that gives me reservations about Fairly and Bowers. If I'm drafting in the top 10, I would have serious reservations about taking a guy that only had one year of production (and is coming off sitting an entire year off). If I had to list a top 5 (for the Browns), it would look like this:

1. Dareus
2. Peterson
3. Miller
4. Jones
5. Green
6. Quinn

YMMV

I definitely hear you on our need for a pass rushing DE. Quinn may be the guy. But, while you mention the ability to get a receiver later, you say nothing about this being possible the deepest DE draft in the last 10 years. I think we could grab a quality guy in the 2nd at that position as well.

If they take Quinn at 6, I won't be heart broken. But it would leave me a bit uneasy.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:25 pm

I wouldn't start a Tong war over any of your takes. But I do think you can manufacture something of concern on any of these guys. Mayock sounds like he's picking nits at this point. My preference for Quinn is probably a result of a bias against WR's taken that high. I've swung against it as a prefernce the past several years. I just see QB's and O's making the WR rather than the other way around. But like I said, just my bias.

I think Darius and PP are gone by pick 6.
jb

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:35 pm

Dareus? Yes. He doesn't get past DEN.

PP? Maybe not. Both the hair and McDoosh have him taken behind us (Frisco) in their latest mocks, FWIW.

The Browns need both QBs taken in the top 5 and Cincy to do something dumb. Lots of talent that can drop our way.

I'd be interested in seeing your top 6.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:38 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:Dareus? Yes. He doesn't get past DEN.

PP? Maybe not. Both the hair and McDoosh have him taken behind us (Frisco) in their latest mocks, FWIW.

The Browns need both QBs taken in the top 5 and Cincy to do something dumb. Lots of talent that can drop our way.

I'd be interested in seeing your top 6.

I'd say this is possible, even likely.

With so much DL talent in this draft, I'd like them to go there with the second pick regardless of who they take in the first round, whether that be Peterson, Quinn, or Green. It looks like you can get a DL with first round talent at the top of the second.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:40 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:I'd be interested in seeing your top 6.

For the Browns or just pure IMO BPA ?
jb

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:44 pm

For the Browns, which is how I ranked mine upthread.

Another thing of interest...Hair and McDoosh both have Cam #1. Should be interesting to see how that plays out, and the consequences for other teams with a QB need (BUF, Zona, Cincy). There's no way 3 QBs get drafted ahead of us...right?
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:53 pm

I'm just none-to-keen on getting any d-line in the first round with this current class being so deep.

It just seems like, if we wait till the 2nd round, we'll be able to nab a decent player and one that could contribute. There's always one guy that ends up slipping to the 2nd day and thats how I see it playing out.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:56 pm

Darius
Quinn
Peterson
Green
Fairly
Watt

There's no way 3 QBs get drafted ahead of us...right?

You'd doubt it with this class. But hey, if there is ever a position where teams reach, and there are 3 teams with pressing needs, it's QB .
jb

Unread postby hiko » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:21 pm

Just to add some video to the discussion:

My .02 is that Quinn is noticeably quicker off the ball, although it's hard to see in that video.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby hiko » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:36 pm

Here's another one of Quinn:

Watching this, I'm not seeing a whole lot of moves. He's obviously quick, and can beat college competition around the outside shoulder, but he'll need more than that in the NFL, otherwise he'll end up like our old friend Kam "Pocket Satellite" Wimbley (although Kam did have a decent year in a 4-3 last season).

On this tape, I don't see any bull rushes, no spin moves. That stuff can be taught though. Speed and burst can't.
hiko

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:37 pm

That RB trying to block Bowers at about 1:20 in is hilarious.
jb

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:45 pm

Just a FYI...

Received PFW Draft Book in the mail today. Despite the recent Smile-gate with Nawrocki, the publication has, IMO, been the standard in prospect analysis for years. I respect their opinions. Here is their top 15:

1. Miller (!)
2. Peterson
3. Green
4. Dareus
5. Jones
6. Bowers
7. Amukamara (!)
8. Quinn
9. Gabbert
10. Watt
11. Brandon Harris (!)
12. Aldon Smith
13. Castonzo
14. Ingram
15. Jordan
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:45 am

Hiko, just a couple things to get out there.

You are not posting "film" or "tape". You are posting highlights. The amateur wanna-be draftnicks that fall into the trap of living on you tube see only network feed and highlights.

It mans some level of familiarity, but really, I piss on that as significant evaluation.

The real scouts will watch every single play this kid ever suited up on Saturday, and maybe even some from Friday. They have access the weekend warriors can't conceieve. They will re-loop and watch for every minute detail that only a bona fide professional position coach is qualified to really evaluate.

I know I speak like Janus here when I bitch abou how you and I could have drafted better then the Browns since 99. I contradict myself without mitigation. But in reality, if a scout Heckert believes is qualified is down with Quinn, so am I. If they go in another rational direction on the 28th that isn't a shithead reach at a non-impact position, I'm way cool with that, too. But I'm not gonna be one of those cats -- and not that you are my man -- insisting I watched some you tube or a game or three and I know better. I also don't know that UVA OLT from Paul Ferren, you know? Is that guy a weekly bitch, or was that an accomplishment vs a solid college player?

Second, I don't know that a player needs to be Denny Terrrio at DE. I always thought that burst, strength, leverage, hand placement, flexibility and arm movement (rip, swim, etc) as well as motor were the things that mattered. Dunno that a foot chop or spin or unnecesary moves matter if kid is making plays. Like Coach Wooden used to say, "never mistake activity for achievement". I know that Warren Sapp absolutely smoked kid's jock like as if he was wearing a blue dress in the oval ofice about his football DL fundamentals such as arm moves and developed skill level.

FWIW.

Quinn is ths hit. So is Green. So are darius and peterson. Come 4/28, we're gonna be a better football team.
jb

Unread postby hiko » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:09 pm

jb wrote:Hiko, just a couple things to get out there.

You are not posting "film" or "tape". You are posting highlights. The amateur wanna-be draftnicks that fall into the trap of living on you tube see only network feed and highlights.

It mans some level of familiarity, but really, I piss on that as significant evaluation.

The real scouts will watch every single play this kid ever suited up on Saturday, and maybe even some from Friday. They have access the weekend warriors can't conceieve. They will re-loop and watch for every minute detail that only a bona fide professional position coach is qualified to really evaluate.

I know I speak like Janus here when I bitch abou how you and I could have drafted better then the Browns since 99. I contradict myself without mitigation. But in reality, if a scout Heckert believes is qualified is down with Quinn, so am I. If they go in another rational direction on the 28th that isn't a shithead reach at a non-impact position, I'm way cool with that, too. But I'm not gonna be one of those cats -- and not that you are my man -- insisting I watched some you tube or a game or three and I know better. I also don't know that UVA OLT from Paul Ferren, you know? Is that guy a weekly bitch, or was that an accomplishment vs a solid college player?

Second, I don't know that a player needs to be Denny Terrrio at DE. I always thought that burst, strength, leverage, hand placement, flexibility and arm movement (rip, swim, etc) as well as motor were the things that mattered. Dunno that a foot chop or spin or unnecesary moves matter if kid is making plays. Like Coach Wooden used to say, "never mistake activity for achievement". I know that Warren Sapp absolutely smoked kid's jock like as if he was wearing a blue dress in the oval ofice about his football DL fundamentals such as arm moves and developed skill level.

FWIW.

Quinn is ths hit. So is Green. So are darius and peterson. Come 4/28, we're gonna be a better football team.

Well, no shit. The first video of Quinn doesn't show shit - just Quinn flying in from off screen to make the tackle. I'm much more interested in his battle with the LT (the second video shows a bit more of that). But it's all the "film" I've got at my disposal, however.

I wish they would release scouting video, or at least the network feed of a whole game (you can watch a particular player that way somewhat), but I guess crappy highlight videos are better than nothing at all...

And yes, you don't need extra moves if you're making plays. But at the NFL level, I'd bet serious coin he'll need more than one move. Just watch Freeney some time, that dude has like 6.
hiko

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:00 pm

Well, no shit.

My bad. Must have miundrstood when you posted you tube vids and offered conclusions based upon them.

:hide:

Bust eriously, I bet if you started a site where you paid college film kids working for food to release honest to shit game and practice film amd had a couple former position coaches narrate and commentate and charged premium you could make a buckand really rasise the level of amateur draftnikery. Bet there'd be a nice market for whoever gets there first.
jb

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:42 am

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:Just a FYI...

Received PFW Draft Book in the mail today. Despite the recent Smile-gate with Nawrocki, the publication has, IMO, been the standard in prospect analysis for years. I respect their opinions. Here is their top 15:

1. Miller (!)
2. Peterson
3. Green
4. Dareus
5. Jones
6. Bowers
7. Amukamara (!)
8. Quinn
9. Gabbert
10. Watt
11. Brandon Harris (!)
12. Aldon Smith
13. Castonzo
14. Ingram
15. Jordan

SD:

Well heres a top 20 that doesn't have 30 days of jet lag inbetween posting .

GBN

*Pat Peterson CB LSU (FS)

*Marcel Dareus DE Alabama (O)
Von Miller LB Texas A&M
*Cam Newton QB Auburn (O)

*A.J. Green WR Georgia (O)
*Robert Quinn DT North Carolina (O/X)
*Nick Fairley DT Auburn (X)
*Tyron Smith OT Southern California (X)
*Julio Jones WR Alabama (X)
*Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri
*Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson (X)
Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska
*J.J. Watt DE Wisconsin
*Aldon Smith DE Missouri (X)
Cameron Jordan DE California
Mike Pouncey G/C Florida
*Corey Liuget DT Illinois
Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa
Nate Solder OT Colorado
Anthony Castonzo OT Boston College

I haven't seen anything so blatantly fucking ignorant in regards to your top fifteen leaving Newton off the board since the headlines when Syracuse played Texas in the Cottonbowl and the rednecks were crackin on jim Brown worse than if they had seen a three headed green 10 foot slimey Alien.

Proof positive ole Narly Nutts was just doin his fuckin job.

Thanks

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:26 pm

I haven't seen anything so blatantly fucking ignorant in regards to your top fifteen leaving Newton off the board since the headlines when Syracuse played Texas in the Cottonbowl and the rednecks were crackin on jim Brown worse than if they had seen a three headed green 10 foot slimey Alien.

You're the best. Thanks.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:05 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:

You're the best. Thanks.

Anytime
SoulDawg74

You're the best. Thanks.

Anytime
SoulDawg74

You're the best. Thanks.

Anytime
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:11 am

A triple post? That has to be a TCF record. (if you discount dickless spammers that want to babble about some cheap and high quality jersey that was probably stitched together by some 6 year old cambodian orphan in a tiger cage.)
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:29 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:A triple post? That has to be a TCF record. (if you discount dickless spammers that want to babble about some cheap and high quality jersey that was probably stitched together by some 6 year old cambodian orphan in a tiger cage.)

SD:

Thats the sight hangs my computer and spits ouwhat it will.

Cleaned it up after I saw your response and all I could read was the fact you could count to three without taking your shoes off .

Butt no worries its all better now.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby hiko » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Now, keep the wad out of the boxers, these aren't my words, but an interesting take on Quinn from Peter King:

Robert Quinn, the highly regarded defensive end from North Carolina, is proving to be a tough study for many teams. He hasn't played football in 16 months, having been suspended for taking improper benefits at North Carolina and being banned for the entire 2010 season. He had a benign brain tumor in high school. Those two elements would make it tough enough. Add this one: He fattened up his sack totals -- 11 in 13 games -- against some weak sisters.

Quinn's game-by-game sack results:

Sacks Foe

3 (twice) Duke (5-7), Virginia (3-9).

2 East Carolina (9-5, Conference USA).

1 Citadel (4-7 Div. I-AA), Georgia Southern (5-6 Div. I-AA), Boston College (8-5).

0 Connecticut (8-5), Georgia Tech (11-3), Florida State (7-6), Virginia Tech (10-3), Miami (Fla.) (9-4), North Carolina State (5-7), Pittsburgh (10-3).

Of his 11 sacks, six came in two games against ACC doormats, two more against NCAA Football Championship Subdivision teams with losing records, and three against Bowl Subdivision winning teams.

If you pick Quinn -- and Cleveland, at number six, may do so -- he'll be a perfect metaphor for the 2011 draft: High picks in the first round almost all come with a risk.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/10/mmqb/2.html
hiko

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:43 pm

JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:46 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:Looks like Bowers' knee checked out okay.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/04/knee_checked_out_well_for_clem.html

Yep yep.

So does that make him a steal at 6 we'd never have sniffed if not for the ding?

Let's say that Cam, Miller, PP, Darius and Green are gone; a very realistic scenario. Yer on the board. Position hits need. Who is the bigger gamble, ' Quan or Quinn?

Make you glad yer not Heckert. That choice right there gentlemen is a straight up bitty.
jb

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:03 pm

JB, damn,,,that sure would be a tough one, But honestly, both dudes scare me...call me nuts but I'd take Julio.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:36 pm

jb wrote:
JacksonDysonJackson wrote:Looks like Bowers' knee checked out okay.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/04/knee_checked_out_well_for_clem.html

Yep yep.

So does that make him a steal at 6 we'd never have sniffed if not for the ding?

Let's say that Cam, Miller, PP, Darius and Green are gone; a very realistic scenario. Yer on the board. Position hits need. Who is the bigger gamble, ' Quan or Quinn?

Make you glad yer not Heckert. That choice right there gentlemen is a straight up bitty.

SD:

If the tumor isn't a factor , don't know how you pass on Quinn's athleticism speed and raw power, at his height, he could add 20 lbs and still play with the same speed and even more power.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL