Text Size

College Sports Arena

TSV Requests Suspension Be Extended to 5 Games

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

TSV Requests Suspension Be Extended to 5 Games

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:21 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: TSV Requests Suspension Be Extended to 5 Games

Unread postby waborat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:33 pm

Wanna impress me?

How bout asking for 5 years?

Better yet, how bout shuttin the piehole until the cagers are done playin this weekend?
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:07 am

Image rebuild in progress. But Wabo's right: this issue will be there in three weeks. And the NCAA probably is looking into every nook and cranny of the program or soon will be.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jta1975 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:14 am

peeker643 wrote:Image rebuild in progress. But Wabo's right: this issue will be there in three weeks. And the NCAA probably is looking into every nook and cranny of the program or soon will be.

That is exactly why they self imposed so quickly. The reality is that no big time program can withstand a good shake down.
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:00 am

BUT DAN TOLD ME TNCAA CLEARED HIS PUNISHMENT WITH GORNDEN GEE SMITH AND THAT ALL WAS WELL?!

SHILL.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:24 am

jta1975 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Image rebuild in progress. But Wabo's right: this issue will be there in three weeks. And the NCAA probably is looking into every nook and cranny of the program or soon will be.

That is exactly why they self imposed so quickly. The reality is that no big time program can withstand a good shake down.

I don't think his 'offer' will take the heat off though. If they were gonna look, they were gonna look. And even this might not be enough. They might just say, with every right to do so, "STFU JT and let us tell YOU how long you'll be sitting it out."

Which is another reason he should just stfu.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:42 am

He should STFU b/c that is his SOP in every other instance, but since he is most likely the fall guy for this whole thing he's gonna do what the University asks of him at this point.

To me though asking for a larger suspension just seems too contrived and almost desperate, like hey nothing to see here move along.
Last edited by FUDU on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:59 am

Tressel is going to get suspended for the entire season - my prediction.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby waborat » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:45 am

swerb wrote:Tressel is going to get suspended for the entire season - my prediction.

Yep.

Please buy my book,

JT
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:21 am

Weak attempt to curry favor with the NCAA. If they were willing to go to 5 games themselves, they should have done it at the outset. Now they are back-tracking.

Pretty convenient timing for this announcement too...
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby pup » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:52 am

I think Tress should be fired.

Having said that, he waited until the appeal on his players went through the system and their 5 games held up before taking this punishment. It was basically going to be whatever the 2A ruled on the players JT was going to request. I don't see anything wrong with that. Other than announcing it on the eve of the hoops team starting their run.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:58 am

pup wrote:I think Tress should be fired.

Having said that, he waited until the appeal on his players went through the system and their 5 games held up before taking this punishment. It was basically going to be whatever the 2A ruled on the players JT was going to request. I don't see anything wrong with that. Other than announcing it on the eve of the hoops team starting their run.

Yeah, bad A-Rod type timing.

I still don't think he should be canned, though.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:54 pm

In the words of former all-star point guard, multi-time drug offender and magical linguist Michael Ray Richardson:

"The sink be shippin'"
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:28 pm

Misses 5 games, even maybe a year, OSU wins 9-10 games, JT comes back wins 10+, nobody gives a shit, no need to grab any liver preservers.

FUDU

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:36 pm

leadpipe wrote:In the words of former all-star point guard, multi-time drug offender and magical linguist Michael Ray Richardson:

"The sink be shippin'"

Holy Shit.

I've been looking for an opening to drop "the sink be shippin" on here. Glad you beat me to it, because if not for you and Peek I'd have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

That just made me laugh my ass off. :lmfao: (see?)
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:44 am

"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:53 pm

I think he's done. Or at least should be.

OSU should cut this off at the head, quaratine the issues to Tressel, and hopefully avoid sanctions.

Tattoos...wow.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby swerb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Tressel survives it, but gets a one year suspension. That's my call.

Luke Fickell for a season.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby furls » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:10 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:I think he's done. Or at least should be.

OSU should cut this off at the head, quaratine the issues to Tressel, and hopefully avoid sanctions.

Tattoos...wow.

At this point there really is no way to separate Tressel from the department and firing Tress would cause irrepairable harm to the program. The best things that can happen to the Buckeyes from here on out are for

-Tressel to stay and keep his nose clean like he had for the last 9 years
-Pryor to quietly go away (he is not the only offender he is the only one that would draw national house hold recognition)
-News about this thing to stop coming out so it will just fade into the sunset.
-A successful, but not nationally significant season next year. National significance will just keep OSU in the news, so we need a nice 11-2/10-3 season.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:23 pm

I said this in the other thread but will say it again. Dez Bryant lied about having lunch with Deion Sanders and basically none played for a season. To think Tressel and tOSU's self imposed five game suspension will be adequate is laughable at this point. The 2A is going to lay the hammer down and they don't need Austin Carr to do it. Funny thing is for me that had this scenario played out at any other school, Buckeye honks are citing that other schools do worse. Problem is Tressel lied and lied to the NCAA when called out. I hope I am wrong, but I fear..........He Gone.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:58 pm

furls wrote:
JacksonDysonJackson wrote:I think he's done. Or at least should be.

Tattoos...wow.

At this point there really is no way to separate Tressel from the department and firing Tress would cause irrepairable harm to the program. The best things that can happen to the Buckeyes from here on out are for

-Pryor to quietly go away (he is not the only offender he is the only one that would draw national house hold recognition)
-A successful, but not nationally significant season next year. National significance will just keep OSU in the news, so we need a nice 11-2/10-3 season.

Furls, why do you think firing JT will cause irrepairable harm to the program?

As far as people / things "quietly going away" and "fading the sunset"...I just dont see it. The press is going to dig and dig and dig. Something else will come up. That is why I would be proactive and fire him. You can always point the finger to him after the fact. Scapegoat him, say he went rogue...save the program from sanctions.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby hiko » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Silly Tressel. He is first guilty of breaking the cardinal rule of NCAA athletics: Don't Get Caught.

Now he looks to be guilty of breaking a sub-law: If You Get Caught, Don't Make It Worse By Lying (Unless You Are Absolutely Sure You Can Get Away With The Lie).

These ARE fireable offenses. Establish an anonymous yahoo account for your dirty laundry, moron.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:54 pm

so we need a nice 11-2/10-3 season.

Coach Earle is only 80. That's like 8 or 9 years younger than JoPa.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Furls, why do you think firing JT will cause irrepairable harm to the program?

As far as people / things "quietly going away" and "fading the sunset"...I just dont see it. The press is going to dig and dig and dig. Something else will come up. That is why I would be proactive and fire him. You can always point the finger to him after the fact. Scapegoat him, say he went rogue...save the program from sanctions.

First of all, this will not die with Tress and they are going to keep digging regardless of what happens. If you fire Tressel, then this becomes a permanent overblown blackmark, it never fades, there is never redemption. In a sense it becomes Woody Hayes' firing all over again, something that I still have to watch on a top ten list every year.

If you keep Tress, you get a shot at some measure of redemption as he will continue to do the nice, political things that will restore some portion of his image and this will be one of those things that they are talking about as a footnote to his induction in the NCAA hall of fame.

Firing Tressel will not save the program from prying eyes, they have already arrived. A Tressel bloodletting, is just short-sighted and makes his mistake a permanent black mark instead of allowing it to fade to some level of grey. Then the obvious question, who would you replace him with? I know there are Urban Meyer pipe dream-rumors, but do you really want to gamble? Tressel is a known commodity.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:17 pm

How sure are we that the last 9 years were 'clean'? I gotta believe we're about to find out and I hope Tress and the entire athletic apartment washed their asses recently because thery're about to have a whole lotta people poking around back there as of....checking the watch.....now.

Pryor's going nowhere Furls. Not next fall, not during bowl season and not after college. At least not as a QB and leader. Dude's swag is pure but scouts would rather have a guy whose swag is less than pure and whose throwing motion ain't wack.

I need to be careful on that. I get yelled at every time I call him an overrated PoS. So I won't. I'll let his legacy speak for itself because he's about to become the most hated Buckeye in the 100+ years of the program if this shit with Tressel gets deeper.

From a kid I went to junior high with and have been friends with since 7th grade and who lives in Columbus. He owns an insurance agency and I was emailing with him and asked him how the town was dealing with this tressel stuff:

Columbus is still in shock. My opinion is that he made a bone headed decision and got caught. He wouldn't have had to make that decision though if those knuckleheads, Prior being the main one, couldn't wait to get tats. All this drama over stupid tattoos.

I know a young guy that trains jiu jitsu and works security at a night club downtown. He was telling me a story about how he had to ask prior to stop grabbing a waitress' ass. Prior asked him, "Do you know who I am?" This guy is a no joke, certified badass jiu jitsu guy and would wipe the floor with Prior ANY day of the week. Apparently they had to tell Prior several times and just asked him to leave without incident, but that's Prior's attitude about things.

So, I'm not surprised at all that he's part of more shit that makes the program look bad.

And my buddy happens to be a black dude if people want to believe my dislike of tpeezy2 is racially motivated. It ain't. It's entitled asshole-motivated.

Kid just does NOT get it at all.

furls wrote:At this point there really is no way to separate Tressel from the department and firing Tress would cause irrepairable harm to the program. The best things that can happen to the Buckeyes from here on out are for

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:30 pm

I know there are Urban Meyer pipe dream-rumors, but do you really want to gamble?

You mean like hiring a FCS aka D 1AA level coach with no major college experience other than being a position coach?
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:34 pm

And my buddy happens to be a black dude if people want to believe my dislike of tpeezy2 is racially motivated. It ain't. It's entitled asshole-motivated.

Meh. I now what Jalen Rose thinks about successful African - Americans. They don't KNOW the reality of T Peezy2's swag. The hatas can't feel the pure.

TPeezy needs along sit down with Major Harris.
jb

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:42 pm

Y'know, for an organization that couldn't get rid of a troublesome MoC fast enough, there sure was a lot of covering up going on over TPeezy.

But then MoC was just another schollie coming in and not the prized national recruit hosting his own version of 'The Decision'. Hmm.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Y'know, for an organization that couldn't get rid of a troublesome MoC fast enough, there sure was a lot of covering up going on over TPeezy.

But then MoC was just another schollie coming in and not the prized national recruit hosting his own version of 'The Decision'. Hmm.

Don't forget cancelling and rescheduling. Up the hype means your swag is pure as mexican crystal meth.
Last edited by jb on Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:44 pm

jb wrote:
Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Y'know, for an organization that couldn't get rid of a troublesome MoC fast enough, there sure was a lot of covering up going on over TPeezy.

Don't forget cancelling and rescheduling.

5 times.

I gotta hype my swag. Not sure how pure it is.

Actually not sure what it is but it needs hyped.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:51 pm

of all, this will not die with Tress and they are going to keep digging regardless of what happens. If you fire Tressel, then this becomes a permanent overblown blackmark, it never fades, there is never redemption. In a sense it becomes Woody Hayes' firing all over again, something that I still have to watch on a top ten list every year.

OSU gets a bigger black eye if they keep a guy who lied multiple times to the NCAA, Keeping him sends a message to the NCAA and the world that the administration doesn't give a shit. After that horrendous press conference, Gee and Smith need to do some damage control.

If you keep Tress, you get a shot at some measure of redemption as he will continue to do the nice, political things that will restore some portion of his image and this will be one of those things that they are talking about as a footnote to his induction in the NCAA hall of fame.

Oh bullshit. You think anyone is going to trust Tress after this? Puhlease. Doing "nice, political things" won't do shit. He's a used car salesman now.

If he owned this from day one, he would be okay. He should have admitted that he was wrong, thrown
EVERYTHING out there, and begged for the public's forgiveness. Instead, he hid this story and gawd knows what else.

Firing Tressel will not save the program from prying eyes, they have already arrived. A Tressel bloodletting, is just short-sighted and makes his mistake a permanent black mark instead of allowing it to fade to some level of grey.

I'm not disputing that the prying eyes will be there, regardless of whether or not he is. But that's not the point. The university needs to be in full "save the program from major sanctions" mode. THat means throwing him under the bus, regardless of whether he is totally at fault (ie: Smith and/or Gee knew).

Whatever is there is there. Whatever is there will be found. OSU will have to live with that.

But at this point, this was a cover-up. OSU needs to take a stand on that.

Then the obvious question, who would you replace him with? I know there are Urban Meyer pipe dream-rumors, but do you really want to gamble?

So that's holding you back from firing him?

Boy, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when recruits meet with other Big Ten teams. They are going to be killing him.

Tressel is a known commodity.

Is he?
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:31 pm

I agree that Tressel is becoming more and more of a know quantity.

I think within a month or two we'll know more than we ever wanted to know about that commodity.

He won't be any worse than the others. He just won't be any better either.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Re: TSV Requests Suspension Be Extended to 5 G ames

Unread postby furls » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:34 pm

Your version of damage control creates more damage. That is my point. It is a huge admission of corruption/guilt, that I think far exceeds the actual offense. If the only thing Tressel did was lie to the NCAA about this matter that would put this program in the top 1% of "cleanliness." This has so many ways to be played. The issue here is what do you think the motive is, do you think he was trying to protect his kids, or do you think he was just trying to win football games?

I agree that tressel has done permanent damage to his own rep and in doing so has done permanent damage to OSU's image. That is done and you cannot unscrew the pregnant lady, but if you "abort" Tressel then you just make this a permanent scandal that was "worthy" of firing the head coach. If you let it go it is minimized to the "time Tressel was suspended." I would say let the investigation come out and lay out the facts.

Do you think there will be "major sanctions" going forward? I don't. Worst case, loss of a couple of scholarships and some vacated wins. OSU, like U$C is one of the NCAAs biggest ca$h cows and if there is one thing the NCAA values above all others it is the $$. These images of death penalties and so on are overblown.

Replacing him would seriously hold me back from firing him. The guy lied to cover up a story about his players, if that is the worst thing they can throw on him personally, then I am ready to move on. If the NCAA crawls up OSU's ass and finds a bunch of crazy shit then, yeah, we are talking about something else. I think it is amazing just how morally uncorruptable America is right now. There are so many fucking people preaching from way on high that all I can say is AMEN! You have never "buried a body" for a buddy?

I am disappointed, as an Alum I am forever tied to the reputation of OSU and while this is "just football" it does affect the overall perception as people here more about this then the fact that OSU's 2010 freshman class had an average ACT score of 27.8, second only in the state to CWRU. Jim Tressel took away the moral high ground that I could retreat to no matter how badly the Buckeyes lost to Florida or LSU. The fact that my school did it the right way and my coach ran a squeaky clean program with no agents lingering in the hedgerows (publicly) and no major scandals meant a lot to me. Frankly, I am still shocked that he didn't come clean, but in the end (as far as we know) he has done far more good in Columbus than bad and I think going forward with Tressel will help that matter. Firing Tressel is the easy, short-sighted answer.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Boy, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when recruits meet with other Big Ten teams. They are going to be killing him.

The Buckeyes really aren't recruiting against the rest of the B10. They have gotten just about anyone that they have wanted from that pool and that is unlikely to change. The bigger issue is the other national schools and his ability to swoop into FL/TX/CA and swipe those kids.

In the end, the kids that we are talking about primarily only care about getting to the league, so what should concern you more is the fact that OSU players have been conspicuously absent from the top 10 picks of the NFL draft lately (Vern Gholston is not exactly a shining beacon of success from there either). The kids care much more about that then whether Jim Tressel lied to the NCAA.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Re: TSV Requests Suspension Be Extended to 5 G ames

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Well said. A dish of perspective is appreciated.

But you will have to forgive me if I'm a bit nervous now that the microscopes are all aimed toward Columbus.

I'll also say (though it means nothing in terms of the truth nor may it be based on facts) that the only place where this doesn't seem to be a monumental story filled with righteous indignation is here in Ohio.

tOSU and Tressel are getting killed everywhere nationally. May be pay-back or sour grapes but it's out there.

furls wrote:Your version of damage control creates more damage. That is my point. It is a huge admission of corruption/guilt, that I think far exceeds the actual offense. If the only thing Tressel did was lie to the NCAA about this matter that would put this program in the top 1% of "cleanliness." This has so many ways to be played. The issue here is what do you think the motive is, do you think he was trying to protect his kids, or do you think he was just trying to win football games?

I agree that tressel has done permanent damage to his own rep and in doing so has done permanent damage to OSU's image. That is done and you cannot unscrew the pregnant lady, but if you "abort" Tressel then you just make this a permanent scandal that was "worthy" of firing the head coach. If you let it go it is minimized to the "time Tressel was suspended." I would say let the investigation come out and lay out the facts.

Do you think there will be "major sanctions" going forward? I don't. Worst case, loss of a couple of scholarships and some vacated wins. OSU, like U$C is one of the NCAAs biggest ca$h cows and if there is one thing the NCAA values above all others it is the $$. These images of death penalties and so on are overblown.

Replacing him would seriously hold me back from firing him. The guy lied to cover up a story about his players, if that is the worst thing they can throw on him personally, then I am ready to move on. If the NCAA crawls up OSU's ass and finds a bunch of crazy shit then, yeah, we are talking about something else. I think it is amazing just how morally uncorruptable America is right now. There are so many fucking people preaching from way on high that all I can say is AMEN! You have never "buried a body" for a buddy?

I am disappointed, as an Alum I am forever tied to the reputation of OSU and while this is "just football" it does affect the overall perception as people here more about this then the fact that OSU's 2010 freshman class had an average ACT score of 27.8, second only in the state to CWRU. Jim Tressel took away the moral high ground that I could retreat to no matter how badly the Buckeyes lost to Florida or LSU. The fact that my school did it the right way and my coach ran a squeaky clean program with no agents lingering in the hedgerows (publicly) and no major scandals meant a lot to me. Frankly, I am still shocked that he didn't come clean, but in the end (as far as we know) he has done far more good in Columbus than bad and I think going forward with Tressel will help that matter. Firing Tressel is the easy, short-sighted answer.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:52 pm

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:05 pm

There are of course factions in the alumni association and in alumni groups that want to axe the coach, but he has the support of the OSU's biggest donor. This dude's latest donation is still on the OSU.edu coverpage.

http://www.osu.edu/

He has been open in his support of JT, and he is the University's biggest benefactor (both athletic and academic). Oh yeah, he is also the chair of the Board of Trustees too.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:09 pm

I can't help but reiterate that to me most of the criticism's of JT & this issue coming from Buckeye nation reeks of a disingenuous odor. An odor in which so many people are rushing to call out JT and bring up suspicions of the program not being what it appears under his watch for nothing more than the sake of making themselves look like some uber objective fans in an age in which objectivity is often lacking. I know we all like to project ourselves as men/women of uncompromising principle but sheesh, I mean if walls could talk and all.

I'm not singling anybody out in here (frankly I don't know any of you on a personal level to even attempt to), but in general so many people are screaming of how awful an offense this is...really? The mistake he made was so big that his track record free of "convictions" is null & void, and it is no longer viable to consider him a man of character? It just goes along with the time I guess, almost any public figure anymore makes one mistake (large or small) and society wants off with their head, fire them!, now!

I'm with Furls in regards to the pros & cons of showing Jim the door, IMO it is way too short sighted a move. First it would send very mixed signals, give some players a second chance but not extend that courtesy to your coach? Second, so we bring in Father Murphy, is everyone going to be happy going 9-2 and winning the Church of Latter Day Saints bowl every year? No, after about 3-4 years patience would wear thin and the fans would start screaming for some semblance of balance while willing to waiver a little on character (no different than where we are close to as Browns fans).

Not to mention the instability that could ensue from such a knee jerk firing, it's not like you land a combo top flight recruiter and coach every time you make a hire, see scum. Fire JT, bring in the next big thing, if it doesn't work you find yourself hiring the 3rd coach inside of 6-7 years at tOSU.....that is a nightmare scenario.

Hold him accountable to the penalties given, get your house in order, and prepare for his return. Look at it as a chance to take 1 step back now to hopefully gain 2 steps down the road.

FUDU

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:22 pm

Go to the 26th minute: http://hardcoresportsradio.com/episodes/mar-18-hour-1

Bomani just goes in... can't wait to hear him go in Monday. When your favorite team deserves to get cut you gotta support a solid cutting.

And screw the callers, not worth listenin to.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:34 pm

Have heard the point about JT not wanting to incur the losses (by not having his best players), not buying that for one second. In his early days, with no NC, yeah OK. 10 years in with 1 NC, as many BCS wins as any other program, pfft, JT doesn't work that way when it comes to wins and losses for his own personal legacy. He's seen enough to know JT is a total fraud? But never presents all the truck loads of evidence?

That show hit and misses with me, have heard it before and it sounded awesome at times, other times it sound too contrived.

FUDU

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Yeah that point was moronic, but it wasn't bo.

Bomani is outstanding until he starts wrapping to heavily about race, then it gets too "black man with a PHDy"

That said at the end of this he crushed why the Jalen Rose Grant Hill thing was such a big deal:

"Because a bunch of people get upset when one group gets away with saying things another group can't" Thought of that point immediately when reading Herms post the other day.

As to the total fraud thing, I said it day one, he is.

EVERYTHING Tress has sold about himself has been proven false. Crushed me and crushed his legacy, IMO. Now he gotta win another NC.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:42 pm

The JRose/Hill thing was over the second Grant Hill took the mic, dude is flat out head & shoulders above JRose in every way, GHill is a standout athlete both in character and intellect. But having said that Grant is still cool with JRose for the most part, IMO he gives JRose some BOD.

Host's point was somewhat valid though, depends on the context of the topic though too, politics/sports/business/law etc.

IMO though the hoops team isn't losing any thunder b/c of this, timing is timing.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:45 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:As to the total fraud thing, I said it day one, he is.

EVERYTHING Tress has sold about himself has been proven false. Crushed me and crushed his legacy, IMO. Now he gotta win another NC.

Just b/c of this? Or from day one of JT at THEOSU.

If just b/c of this I can only say wow but to each their own.

ETA: but if you have any type of personal history with JT (due to ball) then I can understand.

FUDU

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:50 pm

Here is the thing, he has projected this I'm different bullshit forever.

He got in trouble at YSU and got out luckily.

He's had whispers before at OSU but nothing proven.

Then he knowingly lies, covers shit up, etc....

I'd rather he had paid kids. Guy's only niche in college football was his claims of moral supremacy.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:58 pm

All that ties a bit into my point above, if he had some issues prior (by IF I'm not suggesting your claims are off) then why in the hell did so many people buy into his uber moral character act to begin with, IOW he never had one, capiche? Which then brings me to my answer to the question often asked now, so we've been duped?, yeah but you're the one who let yourself be duped (not you as in you, or anyone here, you in general).

One might ask now, who crowned him King to begin with, us or himself?

FUDU

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:00 pm

I really don't give a shit if he kills puppies and eats the elderly, if he wins games he can stay. If the guy bathed the homeless and volunteered at a leper colony, and won 6 games a year, then get rid of him.

His job is to win.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:06 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:I really don't give a shit if he kills puppies and eats the elderly, if he wins games he can stay. If the guy bathed the homeless and volunteered at a leper colony, and won 6 games a year, then get rid of him.

His job is to win.

To a man most CFB fans, even in here, feel that way or closer than they'll ever admit. To a man few would ever admit it.

FUDU

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:13 pm

Oh no doubt FUDU that it is on us for building him up.

My point is every big recruit he gets cites his integrity and morals as the reason he won the war (read: Curtis Grant).

Every big national title loss was accepted because we didn't cheat like the SEC and OVERSIGN@!!!

Every so so called game was excused.

When in retrospect there have been whispers forever that he wasn't nearly as clean as he pretended to be. Which was to be expected. I mean, ignoring a booster here, there, etc...

But to flat out lie about an ongoing investigation for MONTHS after that investigation began? That's the exact opposite of moral integrity and goes above and beyond just playing college coaching games.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Pronk is a Tress fan!!

On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby furls » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Dude you nailed and I was saying AMEN, right up until you went "righteous."

But to flat out lie about an ongoing investigation for MONTHS after that investigation began? That's the exact opposite of moral integrity and goes above and beyond just playing college coaching games.

Your comments are a bit inflammatory and imply an ongoing circle of lies, when in fact, we have no idea when or how often Tressel lied about this to the NCAA. This just came up in December, it is quite possible (even probable) that the only time Tressel was questioned on this by the NCAA was in Dec. He started coming clean about forwarding the email when Gene Smith stepped in and answered for him.

To be honest with you, I bet that Tressel (like anyone else that has ever had a flock of immature 19 year olds) has buried a few bodies. As an NCO/SNCO in the USMC, 1/3 of my job was burying the figurative bodies for my Marines, picking up drunk under age kids in Waikiki and not saying a word because at least they called me instead of getting behind the wheel and so on. I tend to think that I did a pretty good job as a leader, but technically, I probably should have fried those devil dogs and wrote them up for drinking underage. How many times do you think TSV's 85 rockstars, surrounded by tempation on a college campus, ran a foul of the law or NCAA and it never made it to the AD or anywhere else? I would say way more than we would ever want to know.

Kids make mistakes, and sometimes leaders rationalize actions, that are wrong. It doesn't make them evil, just human.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Next

Return to College Sports Arena