Text Size

College Sports Arena

UCONN versus SDSU (Game Thread)

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

UCONN versus SDSU (Game Thread)

Unread postby the_truth20 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:32 am

Connecticut-San Diego St.

This matchup is surely the one that I don't want to miss. So many questions to be answered. Has San Diego St. "grown up" from their near second half collapse against Temple? Will SDSU unsung hero point guard D.J. Gay be able to slow the explosive Kemba Walker? Can UCONN's Alex Oriaki continue to be a force down low and help neutralize Malcolm Thomas and Billy White?

On paper, this is a tough one to call. UCONN is arguably the hottest team in the country after their epic 5 wins in 5 nights during the Big East Tournament. That momentum carried over into pretty easy victories against Bucknell and Cincinnati. And no team is as underrated as San Diego St. Only two losses all season to the university of Jimmer. Playing on the west coast, San Diego St. has not had the exposure all year but can beat you in so many ways. They are tenacious on the boards and arguably the most athletic team in the tournament. Led by unknown superstar Kawhi Leonard, this team has been on a mission all year.
I expect a close game with Connecticut's big game experience paying off late. As the Temple game got closer and closer, SDSU got tighter and tighter. They didn't play to win, they played not to lose.

UCONN 73
SDSU 66
the_truth20

Favorite Player: Jimmer Fredette
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Re: UCONN versus SDSU

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:59 am

Welcome and Nice post. In fact, we'll make it the game thread for anyone wanting to post on the game tonight.

Looking forward to this game as well. UConn is just appealing to me after that ridiculous BE run and watching Walker will them to wins in the last three nights.

Agree on SDST's board work but heard a stat today on M&M that UConn rebounds 40% of their own misses. Gonna be an interesting matchup.

I like UConn as well to continue this stroy-book post season run.

the_truth20 wrote:Connecticut-San Diego St.

This matchup is surely the one that I don't want to miss. So many questions to be answered. Has San Diego St. "grown up" from their near second half collapse against Temple? Will SDSU unsung hero point guard D.J. Gay be able to slow the explosive Kemba Walker? Can UCONN's Alex Oriaki continue to be a force down low and help neutralize Malcolm Thomas and Billy White?

On paper, this is a tough one to call. UCONN is arguably the hottest team in the country after their epic 5 wins in 5 nights during the Big East Tournament. That momentum carried over into pretty easy victories against Bucknell and Cincinnati. And no team is as underrated as San Diego St. Only two losses all season to the university of Jimmer. Playing on the west coast, San Diego St. has not had the exposure all year but can beat you in so many ways. They are tenacious on the boards and arguably the most athletic team in the tournament. Led by unknown superstar Kawhi Leonard, this team has been on a mission all year.
I expect a close game with Connecticut's big game experience paying off late. As the Temple game got closer and closer, SDSU got tighter and tighter. They didn't play to win, they played not to lose.

UCONN 73
SDSU 66
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: UCONN versus SDSU (Game Thread)

Unread postby furls » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:25 pm

Not sold on SDSU. They have no quality wins. Best win, I guess is Gonzaga. So far they have lost to the "Fighting Jimmer Tebow's" 2X and that is the only top 25 team they have played.

I think we can all agree that the BE was a conference full of good teams, but no really good teams and frankly, someone had to win. So UConn's 5 wins in 5 nights a good feat, just not a really good one.

In the end I like the Huskies by 12ish in a game that was never really that close.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby the_truth20 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:48 pm

I will agree with you that UCONN is going to win but actually San Diego St. does have some impressive wins. Beat both Gonzaga and St. Mary's and despite VCU's amazing run in the tourney (I picked them to advance to the sweet 16 myself) St. Mary's was an experienced team that should have been in the tournament. Also, SDSU beat UNLV twice which is no small feat as the runnin rebs seem to find themselves with 20+ wins every season.

UCONN is one of the streakiest teams around. Started the season unranked, stormed through the Maui invitational, climbed into the top 5 in the rankings, then hit a mid season swoon where they came back to earth.

But so often, its about who is playing the best basketball at the right time. And UCONN is blazing!!!! Cant wait for the game to start!
the_truth20

Favorite Player: Jimmer Fredette
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby waborat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Hate goin against Furls tonight (guy's seldom wrong on picks), but I think SDSU gets it done in front of their "home" crowd...

A lot of speed & length in that frontcourt could be able to keep UConn from getting in the lane often...

UConn's gonna have to be able to hit their jumpers tonight and hit them on first try, as I think the height advantage will keep the Aztec hot on the boards...

On one hand, this game reminds me of tomorrow's OSU/UK match with SDSU needing to control the tempo to win. On the other, I think we'll see something close to last Sunday's ND/FSU match in which the better D & height will prevail...

And even if my above statements are horseshit (which is usually the case), then I still love that home state advantage
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Gonna be a big SDSU crowd. One hour from Anaheim.

I think they get it done in a real close competitive game. SDSU is a tough veteran team that knows the history of their school and conference in the tourney. Essentially a home game.

I'm betting they look more like the poised fluid team from the 1H of the Temple game, and not the disjointed one from the 2H of that same contest.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jb » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:13 pm

furls wrote:Not sold on SDSU. They have no quality wins. Best win, I guess is Gonzaga. So far they have lost to the "Fighting Jimmer Tebow's" 2X and that is the only top 25 team they have played.

Yeah there's that. Then there's also the old eye test. This is a long, athletic, aggressive team with lots of interchangeable plyers. The put alot of pressure on you to play mistake-free.

I like them to take out U Conn and slam the door on the overrated east coact media darling Big Least.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:39 pm

FWIW: Kawhi Leonard is quickly becoming a VERY real possibility for the Cavs with that second lottery pick. Someone to keep an eye on. I'll give hoodoo credit, he was the first to mention him I saw but he has been impressing the shit out of Scout for awhile now. Draft Express has promised a massive Scouting report post tourney.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:03 pm

^^^
slighty OT..
whats your take on Kemba Walker or Freddette?

are you still high on Irving no matter what at this point, or do you see any potential in those guys going to the Cavs?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:20 pm

Gawd no. Kemba Walker is a shitty PG that also shoot 40% from the field. Jimmer is a anything but an elite pro prospect for any number of reasons. There are about 7-8 guys I like none of them are named Kemba or Jimmer.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:16 pm

I am all about slamming the door on the East Coast/ESPN Big East darlings, I just think UCONN perpetuates the "Amazing Run" story by luck of the draw and getting SDSU tonight. There is no homefield advantage as severe as it is in NCAA hoops, I will acknowledge that, I just like the Huskies to get it done tonight. That said, the spread on the game makes UConn look like a sucker bet. I would have expected to see the Huskies give 4 or so.

FWIW beating St. Mary's and UNLV does not impress me. They are nice programs, but I think we can agree that wins over those teams are far from elite. OSU has been getting shit all year for its non con schedule which featured South Carolina, Florida and FSU (not to mention Morehead st. and UNC Asheville). I think the stage is just a little to big for a nice SDSU team that has gotten far on "looks alone."

I just really hope someone beats BYU so I don't have to listen to the announcers slob his knob anymore. He is Tim Tebow's replacement, and I couldn't wait for him to fade into obscurity as well.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:22 pm

My daughter just said, "Jimmer Ferdette, doesn't he play for that Amish school?" I have no idea why I thought it was that funny, but I laughed my ass off.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:27 pm

Oh yeah, Point I forgot to make re: homecourt advantage. lets not forget that this game is being played in SoCal, so any homecourt advantage is cut in half. It is not like there is a gigantic college hoops following (or any real following) for SDSU and California fans are generally luke warm at best, now if we were talking about SJU in MSG or something, well that would be different.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:01 pm

You know, why don't ya just let a sleeping dog lie. Kemba is struggling a bit at the 10 minute mark and some end of the bench dumb-ass throws a shoulder?

Some stupid mofos walking this earth.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:04 pm

peeker643 wrote:You know, why don't ya just let a sleeping dog lie. Kemba is struggling a bit at the 10 minute mark and some end of the bench dumb-ass throws a shoulder?

Some stupid mofos walking this earth.

Walker with the last 14 for UConn and 9 since the shoulder.

The asshole from SDST should have his schollie yoked right now in an end of game ceremony.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cease » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Jimmer with a bomb three. The next Wally Szczerbiak?
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Jimmer firing shots like he's at Guadalcanal.

Spectacular range on the 26% he hits. He has that thing tied up at 63-63

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby furls » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:11 pm

So Jimmer can't even get a hand job without getting kicked off the team? Are they going to kick him off the team for all the media blow jobs?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:16 pm

This UConn/SDSU game is pretty sloppy, neither of these teams looks very good. Why cant these guys be in OSU's bracket?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:16 pm

furls wrote:So Jimmer can't even get a hand job without getting kicked off the team? Are they going to kick him off the team for all the media blow jobs?

I think he can if he just shuts up about it. ;-) ;) :wink:

But yeah, terrific college player and a guy who will have to overachieve and work his balls off defensively to maybe be JJ Reddick?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Good night and stay classy San Diego.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby furls » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:21 pm

My son just asked if Jimmer likes his teammates, because he doesn't really seem to want to play with them. Run down the court and chuck a 3 from 28 feet!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:24 pm

Man, this BYU vs. Florida game.... I can see the end now!

Florida scores 2 with 10 seconds left, leaving Jimmer to win the game with a "Tebowesque (trademarking that)" 40 feet 3 at the buzzer causing tens of thouseands of mormons to simultaneously ejaculate in all of their wives at the same time!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:47 pm

furls wrote:Man, this BYU vs. Florida game.... I can see the end now!

Florida scores 2 with 10 seconds left, leaving Jimmer to win the game with a "Tebowesque (trademarking that)" 40 feet 3 at the buzzer causing tens of thouseands of mormons to simultaneously ejaculate in all of their wives at the same time!

That is not how it ended Furls.

You were waaay off. :nanner:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Not high on the Jimmer as a pro, but there's a spot in the league for him.

Unless someone could tell me one thing a weaker, slower oft injured Daniel Gibson does better than him, and that guys been takin checks for years.

And I agree with Eo on Kemba, he's not going to have an athletic edge at the next level, than what? A point guard that doesn't make good decisions that won't shoot well. Pass.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:45 pm

Oh there is a spot for Jimmer. Upside is Reddick and should be drafted in the 20s like him at best.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby waborat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:51 pm

Someone wanna tell me why Lesley Visser has bacon fat in her pelt tonight???

And Les, let the bangs hang, your forehead's bigger than Thad's
waborat

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:13 am

Pissed me off the radio guys in Dallas once hinted at some kind of great swinger/cuckold story about her and Dick Stockton back in the day but they wouldn't discuss it on air. Maybe there are some web rumors I need to check out.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby waborat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:31 am

dmiles wrote:Pissed me off the radio guys in Dallas once hinted at some kind of great swinger/cuckold story about her and Dick Stockton back in the day but they wouldn't discuss it on air. Maybe there are some web rumors I need to check out.

Let me know if ya ever find anything on her & Melissa Stark? :nanner:
waborat

Return to College Sports Arena