Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Best Ohio Hockey team is in Cleveland

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Best Ohio Hockey team is in Cleveland

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:26 am

Woke up this morning to the realization the only playoff contenders in Ohio Pro Sports (dont consider cincy part of ohio) are the LEM. Living in CBus , I only get a passing glance at the LEM, however I plan on heading home for a playoff game or two, and will also look in to getting AHL live for my computer.

My question is do you think the city of Cleveland will step up for a Calder Cup the way it used to back in the hay day of the Barons?

Growing up I always heard storys about how the Barons used to be the best show in town rivaling the Tribe and Browns in fan intrest. I know it will never be like that again, but it would be nice to see a few capacity crowds at the Q durring the playoffs.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: Best Ohio Hockeye team is in Cleveland

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:37 pm

I've gone to probably 20 games and I've paid for 1.5 of them. The Home Opener and then one time when my neighbor had two free tickets, so I paid for one for my fiancee. I have a buddy who volunteers for the team and I get his tickets when I want to go. Unfortunately, he isn't expected to get them for the playoffs, so if I want to go, I'll need to pay.

I think they'll get a pretty good crowd. They'll give lots of tickets to radio stations and some charities. It all depends on the schedule. If they get weekend home dates, they'll get 10,000+ for those. Weekday? Maybe 4-5,000 max.

It's hard to believe that they're in the spot they're in. They have minimal talent and Colorado has taken a good portion of it throughout the year. The team works extremely hard and has gotten incredible goaltending since January. I'm glad to see them in the hunt.

I'd be there if they made it, even if I had to pay.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:05 pm

I casually look at their standing throughout the year, and most of the time it looked like they where floating around the 7-6 seed, but then lately they just kicked it in to high gear and are right in the hunt for a #1 seed.

I haven’t been to a hockey game at the Q in about 2 years, do they still black out the upper deck seats to make the place look fuller?

I know its Gilberts team, so of course they will play in Gilbert’s arena, but I always thought Hockey of AHL Caliber would be better served in something more like a 10000-12000 seat venue (i.e Wolstein Center, or how sweat would it be to watch hockey at the old Cleveland convention Center (not like they use it for anything else anyway)) .
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Govbarney wrote:I haven’t been to a hockey game at the Q in about 2 years, do they still black out the upper deck seats to make the place look fuller?

It's been open maybe two or three times when I've gone. They only sit people in the two sections right at center ice on either side. Usually, though, it's curtained off.

It would have cost too much to put ice in at CSU. Their club team plays their home games at Ries Rink in Parma.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Re: Best Ohio Hockey team is in Cleveland

Unread postby Spin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:59 pm

I've been to a few Monster's games. The problem with minor league hockey for me is, I get involved with a team, and then it's gone. From the original Barons, to the NHL Barons II, to the Lumberjacks, to Barons III, and now LAKE ERIE Monsters?

I was really into the Jacks and the IHL. It was a great time. Then the league poked the big dog one too many times and lost their affiliations.

Sort of got into the Barons, then off they went to Worchester. Wherever the hell that is.

Then came the Lake Erie Monsters, just can't get into that fad naming crap.

I hope they do well. I might start watching the team regularly someday. Getting more and more involved with the college team, I doubt it.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Best Ohio Hockey team is in Cleveland

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:40 pm

Monsters take down their 8th win in a row today in a shootout victory over Toronto, 3-2. They got outshot badly, but John Grahame was excellent.

Home v. Rockford on Wednesday and then Hamilton right after the home opener. Might be something special brewing here.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Return to The Neutral Zone