Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

NFL Moves Kickoffs to the 35 Yard Line ....

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

NFL Moves Kickoffs to the 35 Yard Line ....

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:32 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... rsmeetings

Browns standout returner Joshua Cribbs(notes) wasn’t thrilled by the changes, tweeting: “Essentially taking returners out of the game…injuries will still take place, then what move it up again, or eliminate it all together.”
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: NFL Moves Kickoffs to the 35 Yard Line ....

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:36 pm

What a bunch of bullshit.

And they want to stop tacklers from "launching" to make a tackle.

Just put flags on them and be done with it.

The NFL is gay.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:04 pm

So THAT'S why we franchised the battering ram.

Does this mean Heckert can start whining 24 / 7 about Cribbs deserving a new contract?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Just like the childrens, throw the ball
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:34 pm

This was about protecting player right?

But punt returners still get point 3 secs to get out of the way from a human battering ram.

MMM...kay.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:40 pm

bahahahahahaha.

Hometown sex-doll Josh Cribbs value just dropped by roughly 50%.

Good thing he went on ESPN 56 times in a week and hit up Twitter to get that new contract. Especially good thing Cleveland supported an entitled and spoiled athlete (& criminal) getting what he wanted by abusing the system. Good thing spoiled athletes only control their own destiny in the NBA.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:05 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:bahahahahahaha.

Good thing he went on ESPN 56 times in a week and hit up Twitter to get that new contract. Especially good thing Cleveland supported an entitled and spoiled athlete (& criminal) getting what he wanted by abusing the system. Good thing spoiled athletes only control their own destiny in the NBA.

I don't know, the main difference between the Cribbs and James saga was the fact, that if Cribbs booked, at least the Browns would have received some decent compensation for him, and he wasn't say, near as important to the franchise as say Joe Thomas or for example, Ray-Ray to the Ravens.

Cribbs is expendable. Sure our kick-return game and offense may suffer, but eventually the Browns would be able to find some other hot shot speed guy and the fans would be rocking his jersey in the muni-lot within weeks.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm not sure this makes much sense to me.

Do they think guys will be moving slower starting just 5 yards behind where the ball is kicked by the time those guys get to the 5 or 10 yard line down field?

I think those guys will be moving just as fast and may not have wasted ten yards of gas starting there. And those guys with that head of steam will be racing downfield against guys who can no longer form a wedge?

Alrighty then.

I'm sure smarter people than me can explain the physics behind this one. I understand the 'more touchbacks' thing but the rest seems to be a bit shortsighted to me.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:12 pm

Fuck 'em. Stay locked out. Might as well be the arena league.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Triple-S wrote:

I don't know, the main difference between the Cribbs and James saga was the fact, that if Cribbs booked, at least the Browns would have received some decent compensation for him, and he wasn't say, near as important to the franchise as say Joe Thomas or for example, Ray-Ray to the Ravens.

Cribbs is expendable. Sure our kick-return game and offense may suffer, but eventually the Browns would be able to find some other hot shot speed guy and the fans would be rocking his jersey in the muni-lot within weeks.

Yeah - that sixth round draft pick we traded Cribbs for would have been huge!!!!!!!!!!

And that political grandstanding to get a bullshit raise after signing a six year deal wasn't despicable at all!!!!!!

And he isn't a criminal!!!!!!

It's not like half of Cleveland was screaming "PAY THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!"

Nope, Cleveland knew enough to identify an asshole athlete for the asshole he was (he just signed a six fucking year contract) and told him to get bent!!!!!!!!!

Just sayin'

Stop fronting and call em all assholes.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jta1975 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:17 pm

Actually I think this is will back fire the league. I don't think guys will kick it through the endzone like they think.

Actually I think the good kickers will get more air underneath. They will get more hang time and try to get the returner to catch the ball right inside the the endzone. That way you could try and pin them inside the 15, instead of giving them the ball at the 20.

The returners the collisions won't go down they will just move the collision point. Teams always try to figure out a way to get better field position.
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:19 pm

jta1975 wrote:Actually I think this is will back fire the league. I don't think guys will kick it through the endzone like they think.

Actually I think the good kickers will get more air underneath. They will get more hang time and try to get the returner to catch the ball right inside the the endzone. That way you could try and pin them inside the 15, instead of giving them the ball at the 20.

The returners the collisions won't go down they will just move the collision point. Teams always try to figure out a way to get better field position.

^ this is an interesting point. One that I doubt is right (because seldom in life do loop-a-rounds that make this much sense actually happen) but it's a fuck of a point.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:20 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Stop fronting and call em all assholes.

No disagreement there, they are indeed a bunch of rich-assholes.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:33 pm

jb wrote:So THAT'S why we franchised the battering ram.

Does this mean Heckert can start whining 24 / 7 about Cribbs deserving a new contract?

SD:

Naw you play him at safety , where that contract will be cheap , and you have somebody who can put a dent in whines hard.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:09 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if he did it again with the new rules depending on just how much of his contract is based on kickoff-related incentives.

I can see Mrs. Cribbs going all ex-Mrs. Boozer on him and making Josh walk into the Walrus's office to plead their...his case.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:59 am

Looks like Josh is going to HAVE to learn to run routes correctly or wind up coaching HS like Ricky Powers.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:22 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:Looks like Josh is going to HAVE to learn to run routes correctly or wind up coaching HS like Ricky Powers.

Combination of route-running, fluidity and hands that hold him back. Add in his age and he is what he's going to be IMO.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:58 am

peeker643 wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:Looks like Josh is going to HAVE to learn to run routes correctly or wind up coaching HS like Ricky Powers.

Combination of route-running, fluidity and hands that hold him back. Add in his age and he is what he's going to be IMO.

Billy "White Shoes" Johnson w/o the end zone dance, if that?
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:01 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Billy "White Shoes" Johnson w/o the end zone dance, if that?

I don't think his hands or hips are good enough to run that slant route in the WCO even if he'd be fun to watch after a catch. He's a straight liner and power guy so his deep speed isn't 'burner' category and he ain't a flea-type wideout like D Jackson who's gonna wiiggle and quick past ya then burst by everyone else.

Dude's a KR. Ship has sailed and that's the one he's on.

ETA- If you want max value out of JC you don't keep plugging him into a WR spot.

You make him the PR/KR and the gunner (or upback) on punts and kicks. You also make him the effing holder on PATs and FGs because of the added element he can give you there with the potential to run or throw on a fake or a 2-point conversion.

He plays every special team until he is killed or gets too old to do it.

YMMV

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby RedDawg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 am

jta1975 wrote:Actually I think this is will back fire the league. I don't think guys will kick it through the endzone like they think.

This.

Strong kickers will change their approach and try to hang it real high to the 10 or so. Giving them the ball on the 25 is statistically undesirable, and everyone will avoid that if possible. Probably put even more speed on the KO team because the shorter distance and higher hang time makes it more like a punt with 8 gunners instead of 2.

Except you can't block a KO, so if anything it puts more of a requirement for uber-fast assassins than the punt unit.

Good call. Complete miss-fire, and I bet not one coach or former coach had any input into that discussion process.
RedDawg

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Rapistberger

Unread postby pup » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:54 am

RedDawg wrote:

This.

Strong kickers will change their approach and try to hang it real high to the 10 or so. Giving them the ball on the 25 is statistically undesirable, and everyone will avoid that if possible. Probably put even more speed on the KO team because the shorter distance and higher hang time makes it more like a punt with 8 gunners instead of 2.

Except you can't block a KO, so if anything it puts more of a requirement for uber-fast assassins than the punt unit.

Good call. Complete miss-fire, and I bet not one coach or former coach had any input into that discussion process.

Touchbacks are still at the 20.

If it is so easy to just add air under the kickoff and make someone return it from the 1, why is Billy Cundiff kicking 75& of his kicks 7 yards deep?

Teams will not want to risk the kick return to maybe save 5 yards. Give them an easy out with the touchback and they will take it.

Big thing to me is the guy that gets kept on the 53 because of his coverage skills over a guy that is the better player in other areas is now going to have less value.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:00 am

Awwwwe. That mental image ain't leaving the scarred retnas of my imagination any time soon.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:04 am

peeker643 wrote:I'm not sure this makes much sense to me.

Do they think guys will be moving slower starting just 5 yards behind where the ball is kicked by the time those guys get to the 5 or 10 yard line down field?

I think those guys will be moving just as fast and may not have wasted ten yards of gas starting there. And those guys with that head of steam will be racing downfield against guys who can no longer form a wedge?

Alrighty then.

I'm sure smarter people than me can explain the physics behind this one. I understand the 'more touchbacks' thing but the rest seems to be a bit shortsighted to me.

FWIW. Cherry and LeChuck had your exact same take, Peeker. Safety? Really?

I do think it could open up the KOR lanes across the field more, but we'll hav to wait nd see.

The NFL considered making KO TB's a 25 yard spot but didn't. Too bad. It would have counterbalanced, becasue these rules just relegated the KOR -- an exciting play -- to the frequency of a reverse AFAIC.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:07 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
jb wrote:So THAT'S why we franchised the battering ram.

SD:

Naw you play him at safety , where that contract will be cheap , and you have somebody who can put a dent in whines hard.

SoulDawg

Tryin to think about all those 28 yer olds who learned safety having never played the position before. Thye just don't seem to roll off my tongue. Yours?

FWIW, I agree had he stated there at age 22, that woudl have mad ethe most sense in hindsight. Too late now. Returner and gunner, Learn it, live it, love it. And be great at it or be released.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:21 am

jb wrote: FWIW. Cherry and LeChuck had your exact same take, Peeker. Safety? Really?

Great. Then I'm clearly on the wrong path.

I think.

Does it make any sense? It's just how people run. You run the 40 and you're at top speed after 10-15 yards right?

Now you're on a shorter field and don't have to maintain that speed as long and you're not running down field against a wedge.

The kicks that are returned are going to be car accidents IMO.

Safety as in guys attempting to come out and then not coming out? Not sure Iunderstand that part?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:38 am

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote: FWIW. Cherry and LeChuck had your exact same take, Peeker. Safety? Really?

Other than LeChuck playing Eugene Debs when it comes to his POV on the players, I think they put on a great show. Clearly more practical knowledge than any other radio program.

I think the running will be more intense, but the blockers more spread out with wider lanes lanes. Just a WAG. they could just do what they are doing now and even rebuild the wedge, just without joining arms.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:45 am

But tell me how it improves player safety on the balls that are returned and why can't I find any data or analysis on kickoff related injuries versus quick slants across the middle analysis?

Maybe they should outlaw slants too. Lotta moving traffic in the middle of the field. Most violent collisions I see every Sunday are those.

And don't forget to legislate out guys leaving their feet on the goal line.

And maybe QB sneaks too since guys are leading with their heads.

Fucking ridiculous.

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Other than LeChuck playing Eugene Debs when it comes to his POV on the players, I think they put on a great show. Clearly more practical knowledge than any other radio program.

I think the running will be more intense, but the blockers more spread out with wider lanes lanes. Just a WAG. they could just do what they are doing now and even rebuild the wedge, just without joining arms.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby waborat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:29 pm

The owners prove once again they've got no sack...

They can make the rules, so just spot the damn ball @ the 20 and begin play...

That saves em 6-7 roster spots 'n payroll...

Saves us 2 bits on a Bud Light...

It's flawless
waborat

Unread postby hiko » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:44 pm

That's exactly what I was thinking. Pop-em up, make the KR wait for it around the goal line, then swarm him like he was a PR. Prevent injury? Probably not.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby RedDawg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:10 pm

hiko wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Pop-em up, make the KR wait for it around the goal line, then swarm him like he was a PR. Prevent injury? Probably not.

I thought about that. If the ball lands any deeper than the ten, its going into the end zone. Course you are taking a chance by letting it bounce, but a kickoff on turf is going to skip 10-15 yards easy unless the Kicker is really talented.

This new rule REALLY makes an unsportsmanlike penalty on a touchdown hurt. Instead of having a 95% chance of them with the ball on the twenty, now its highly likely that they catch the ball inside the ten. Most of the time it gets out to the 30 PLUS the chance of a KO return for a TD is thrown into the equation.
RedDawg

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Rapistberger

Unread postby gameface » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:19 pm

peeker643 wrote:But tell me how it improves player safety on the balls that are returned and why can't I find any data or analysis on kickoff related injuries versus quick slants across the middle analysis?

Maybe they should outlaw slants too. Lotta moving traffic in the middle of the field. Most violent collisions I see every Sunday are those.

And don't forget to legislate out guys leaving their feet on the goal line.

And maybe QB sneaks too since guys are leading with their heads.

Fucking ridiculous.

I'm probably in the minority, but it makes sense to me on a couple levels. One, in this moment of labor strife, the owners create the appearance of being concerned for the player's safety.

Second, kickoffs are the only play in football where you have both teams running full tilt down the field AT each other. Punts are similar, but players start at the same spot, and run kind of together. There is a real risk of concussion and parlysis. (Which btw,is what the players should be appealing to the public with, instead of the backfiring exploding cigar of the slavery card, but I digress). JB is right, wedges may still exist, but it is easier to split blockers when their arms aren't interlocked.

Wideouts get lit up going over the middle, and modern players can accelerate to speed in a hurry, but it's more often a drag down tackle than a head on collision.

Also, IMO, kickers have been getting stronger for awhile. Nobody's bitching that modern kickers have reduced the amount of kickoff returns. JTA's idea of higher kick offs is intriguing. I was thinking you might see more reverses and laterals and tricks as teams try to make the most of return chances, but probably not. There will still be windy days, there will be 4th quarters where the kickoffs fall a bit shorter. Some returners will still bring it out just for the hell of it. Just don't see it as a big change, more of a safety adjustment than anything else.
gameface

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:34 pm

I disagree gameface. You look at the day Harrison, et al got fined and players left the field all day with concussions. None of them were kickoffs. The Daryl Stingley, Mike Utley injuries weren't kickoff-related injuries.

When was the last severe kickoff-related you can recall?

Guys aren't going full blast for 80 yards, they're maintaining lanes and maintaining control and moving with the ball. Every player is in front of them, there are no distractions like reaching back over the middle for a throw, etc.

Nope.

Kickoffs aren't the problem in regard to injuries. Not the severe ones anyway. That's subjective because I've again seen no data on this but guys get laid out way worse on slants/look-ins, etc. Guys get hurt way worse on helmet to helmet dives and off tackle plays.

I'm not buying it. I will buy it's a shitty attempt to curry favor with fans and it's a pr move. Hell, I'll go so far as to say, like Doug Gottlieb mentioned today, that it's a move designed to show good intent when some group of players files a class action lawsuit. But it's not because kickoffs are leaving NFL fields looking like Antietam.

No one has to play football. Most of the risks are assumed by the guys that cash the checks. This is the pussification of the game, plain and simple.

As alway, YMMV

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby hiko » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:44 pm

One thing this does do is increase the number of onside kicks attempted.

Oh, and it probably helps speed up the game, which makes the TV people happy.
hiko

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:28 pm

peeker643 wrote:But tell me how it improves player safety on the balls that are returned and why can't I find any data or analysis on kickoff related injuries versus quick slants across the middle analysis?

2 hand touch = tackle within 10 yards of LOS on a pass across the LOS?

And peeps mocked the XFL, the best thing in the lst decade.
jb

Unread postby waborat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:42 pm

jb wrote:
And peeps mocked the XFL, the best thing in the lst decade.

Meh,

Jacko croakin
waborat

Unread postby gameface » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:55 pm

peeker643 wrote:I disagree gameface. You look at the day Harrison, et al got fined and players left the field all day with concussions. None of them were kickoffs. The Daryl Stingley, Mike Utley injuries weren't kickoff-related injuries.

When was the last severe kickoff-related you can recall?

No one has to play football. Most of the risks are assumed by the guys that cash the checks. This is the pussification of the game, plain and simple.

As alway, YMMV

Fair enough on the YMMV.

The last close injury was the Lions (IIRC) player who got carted off this past season.

And yes, the worst injuries have come on regular plays. And Id add Dennis Byrd of the Jets to that list. But you can't do much rules wise to eliminate those plays without undoing the game itself. Kickoffs, like QB protection and defenseless receivers rules, can be tweaked without changing the nature of the game. And who knows what percentage of concussions, reported or otherwise, occur on kickoffs? Since most special teamers are hardly household names, and are considered pretty much replaceable, perhaps their injuries aren't quite as over the radar as position players on offense and defense. But I concede that there is no hard evidence that special teams is inherently more dangerous than regular play.

And I'm assuming you're being a touch sarcastic with the statement that most of the risks are on the owners. If not, that's a bizarre POV. Owning an NFL franchise is one of the lowest risk business situations that I can think of, anywhere.

Even if life altering injuries are rare, players are at risk to spend their lives in a wheelchair every time they take the field. Life expectancy for NFL players is below the average. Sure the pay is nice, but would you shorten your life for it, and for something that is in essence, entertainment for the masses? Would you like to come out of your thirties with mangled fingers, arthritic joints and mangled knees? How about impaired brain function? Or even get a case of testicular staph like poor old Winslow? ; )

Pussification of the NFL.....well, then, let's go back to leather helmets and no facemasks.
gameface

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:09 pm

^ if they really wanted it to be safer they would go back to leather helmets... or at least experiment with some sort of padding on the outside of the helmet. No one is going to intentionally spear someone with a leather helmet. Not advocating, just sayin'
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:22 pm

The players know that going in. They may not care because they're 22 and invincible and they don't listen for shit, but the information is there. It's on them as football is clearly violence per se.

ANd I wasn't clear. Obviously the physical risks are to the players but the point was they are well compensated and well aware of that when they enter the draft voluntarily or when they walk into a free agent camp voluntarily.

You don't want the risk? Don't play the game. Use your college scholly to do what I do for 45 years where no one's gonna roll up your leg and the biggest risk is playing coffee machine bingo in the morning.

No worries of concussions, paralysis or mangled hands in that line of work and they are free to pursue it at any time.

Byt htere are players who understand it as an inherent risk and play anyway. 65 years of big dollars and being blown strikes them better than doing what I do and maybe living to 80.

I'm saying that no one in the game is ignorant to the risks. You assume them or you don't. Your choice as the athlete.

Roll the bones.

gameface wrote:Fair enough on the YMMV.

The last close injury was the Lions (IIRC) player who got carted off this past season.

And I'm assuming you're being a touch sarcastic with the statement that most of the risks are on the owners. If not, that's a bizarre POV. Owning an NFL franchise is one of the lowest risk business situations that I can think of, anywhere.

Even if life altering injuries are rare, players are at risk to spend their lives in a wheelchair every time they take the field. Life expectancy for NFL players is below the average. Sure the pay is nice, but would you shorten your life for it, and for something that is in essence, entertainment for the masses? Would you like to come out of your thirties with mangled fingers, arthritic joints and mangled knees? How about impaired brain function? Or even get a case of testicular staph like poor old Winslow? ; )

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:19 pm

IMO, it will serve to make the game less exciting, with minimal safety gains for players.

To me it smacks of the "we've got to do something...anything" syndrome...for appearances and legal ass-covering.

One of these days soon, a player will die on the field in an NFL game. It is almost inevitable given the size/speed/impact combinations. The sport will be rocked to its foundations and we'll find out then if it can survive and move on. I suspect it will.

Agree with Peeker that the job has high pay, and it comes with occupational hazards...like bull-fighting and skyscraper window-washing and Indy Car driving. You agree to participate in it with your eyes open to the risks.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby hiko » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Agree with the inherent risks assertion. They know what they're getting into - they're fine with the risks.

You don't sign up for the military then act all shocked that you ended up in Afghanistan.
hiko

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:02 pm

The elimination of the 10-15 yard running start (it is now only five) is going to go a long way toward eliminating the sky kick. Players are going to be getting off the line real slow, thus increasing the risk of big returns if kickers don't vag out and kick the pussy ass touchback.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:04 pm

And I'm just glad Cribbs got his ESPN time today. Good for him.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:11 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:if kickers don't vag out and kick the pussy ass touchback.

Teams pay kickers to get touchbacks.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:15 pm

No shit dumbfuck. But fans pay the NFL to present football, not forcing touchbacks on 75% of the plays by handicapping both sides of the ball.

Shittiest sports league ever.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:27 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:No shit dumbfuck. But fans pay the NFL to present football, not forcing touchbacks on 75% of the plays by handicapping both sides of the ball.

Shittiest sports league ever.

You're the first "fan" I've actually heard complain about touchbacks.

We'll see how this rule plays out but I've never really seen touchbacks as a bad thing. Whether it's for or against your team.
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:35 pm

Have you read this thread dumb fuck?

This is the NFL fundamentally altering the game of football by attempting to eliminate returns. The pussification of the game because they want something to crow about as a sign of caring about the players during the lockout.

Kickoffs are part of football, eliminating them is rotten vaginal juice.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:24 pm

Almost seems like this rule change will create more of an all or nothing effect, probably more nothings than alls but either way it could easily decrease the amount of bleh average 20-25 yard returns.

Could be interesting to see how teams/kickers adapt their strategies, but on the surface this rule change pretty much sucks.

Just dropped our special teams down a notch and raised Shitburghs.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:32 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Have you read this thread dumb fuck?

This is the NFL fundamentally altering the game of football by attempting to eliminate returns. The pussification of the game because they want something to crow about as a sign of caring about the players during the lockout.

SD:

Cuts down jobs .

Return Specialists aren't gonna be a need item , nor be able to demand
to be paid .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:10 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Have you read this thread dumb fuck?

Yeah I get that. But if the NFL wanted to eliminate returns they would have just done so and started possessions at the 20.

And how does this affect penalties enforced on kickoffs?
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:31 pm

I love the boards. You idiots occasionally inspire me.

http://bit.ly/hnx9HF

Don't look for credit though. I used my own posts. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL