Text Size

College Sports Arena

Kentucky Koncerns

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Kentucky Koncerns

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:00 pm

God this Kentucky team is big and athletic. Be interested to know how the Buckeyes approach this one in terms of dictating pace, what that will be and how they plan on defending all those athletes.

Looking it over I can't get past the PG match up between Craft and Knight. My concern is only that Knight is quicker and breaks down the Buckeyes and have them scrambling/in foul trouble.

Who does Diebler guard? Is it Lighty on T Jones? Do they go zone and hope to contest shots from a team that shoots about 40% from three point distance.

Would have been appreciative of someone taking care of Kentucky earlier. They grow in confidence with each tourney win and other than a November loss to UConn they don't get blown out.

Big test for the Buckeyes.

Talk about running a potential gauntlet of legacy programs.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Kentucky Koncerns

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Kentucky is pretty tough team, and you know Calipari is just beating the underdog thing into his players' heads. But if we shoot half as good as we have been we should be ok.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Is outscoring them also a good defense? I thought the white kid was decent (Harrison? too lazy to look up) as far as a big man, but can he put the clamp on Sullinger?

I think the one dynamic here is that most of the guys play pretty good D, and you create some serious matchup problems with the lineup of Craft, Lighty, Bedford, Diebler and Sullinger. Knight is obviously a concern, but I can see one of our guys giving Jones fits. Calipari might try to pound it inside and get Sullinger in foul trouble, so Lauderdale will have to play on that guy for a lot of minutes.

The other thing is can Kentucky handle the probing of Lighty/Bedford. The both present matchup problems when a team is worried about Sullinger, and you still at least two three point threats at any moment in time with their pattern.

My prediction is Kentucky wins if OSU is clanking wide open 3's and not getting any offensive rebounds. Although I see Peek's concern about Knight causing havoc. Craft is going to have to use that "lateral quickness" throne that Matta put on him. If Craft can disrupt him, game over.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby waborat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Said last week, this team scares the shit outta me...

A few of my favorite posters said don't be worried and now one of em starts a KKoncerns thread? Quit effin with my 'ead...

Can OSU put up pts? Sure, but Knight, Jones & Lamb are the most prolific freshmen scorers in UK history as they passed the 3 one 'n doners from last year's squad, so Kentucky can score as well...

Defense? The only one OSU faced all season who was stingier with FGs was Florida State and that was almost 4 months ago. They're also tough inside blocking shots, so a Sully hook would be nice to have. Just got a gut feeling that Harrellson's able to hang with him all night...

UK is 1-7 when their opponent scores >70, so I'm sure Coach Cal is watching those 2 losses, as well as the 2 Northwestern games to see how he can get his team to slow down the pace...

Bucks' experience & intelligence vs sick young athletes...

Whichever team has the least no-shows, wins
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:59 am

One game at a time four more times Wabo. Kentucky is always a concern but I still think at some point their inexperience bites them in the ass. I just worry that Sullinger's lack of athleticism limits him against UK. Dude can't jump. He's excellent with his body and positioning, etc, but he's going to have to be effective down low to get the shooters some looks and Craft/Lighty will need to get in the lane as well.

Can they? I think so.

But if this becomes nothing more than a horse race the kids from Lexington are gonna be right there at the wire.

waborat wrote:Said last week, this team scares the shit outta me...

A few of my favorite posters said don't be worried and now one of em starts a KKoncerns thread? Quit effin with my 'ead...

Can OSU put up pts? Sure, but Knight, Jones & Lamb are the most prolific freshmen scorers in UK history as they passed the 3 one 'n doners from last year's squad, so Kentucky can score as well...

Defense? The only one OSU faced all season who was stingier with FGs was Florida State and that was almost 4 months ago. They're also tough inside blocking shots, so a Sully hook would be nice to have. Just got a gut feeling that Harrellson's able to hang with him all night...

UK is 1-7 when their opponent scores >70, so I'm sure Coach Cal is watching those 2 losses, as well as the 2 Northwestern games to see how he can get his team to slow down the pace...

Bucks' experience & intelligence vs sick young athletes...

Whichever team has the least no-shows, wins

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:09 pm

Kentucky's over-aggressive. Ohio State just needs to use shot fakes to drive and kick or pick up some cheap shooting fouls getting the defender in the air.

What Kentucky did well against West Virginia was that West Virginia kept trying to get the ball to the foul line and then run high lows or pick and rolls. WVU couldn't get those passes through. Keep the ball to the outside, drive and kick from down in the post.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby furls » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:20 pm

You guys watched UK against WVU and Princeton right? Still worried? I am not.

That said, I would prefer not giving Calipari a week to prepare for the Bucks, but given a choice I would rather give that week to Calipari than Roy Williams.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:42 pm

furls wrote:You guys watched UK against WVU and Princeton right? Still worried? I am not.

That said, I would prefer not giving Calipari a week to prepare for the Bucks, but given a choice I would rather give that week to Calipari than Roy Williams.

I watched them in both those games. They looked young and befuddled against Princeton (a program that's historically caused the same looks in other very good teams) and I watched them defend like witches against WVU in the second half.

I hope to worry about UNC Friday night about an hour after I get done worrying about UK. They are big and love to run. I think UW had the right idea and not the right amount of talent to get that job done.

I do know Aaron Craft is about to see the two best PGs remaining (Irving ain't back 100% yet) in potentially a 44 hour period.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:53 pm

This game worries me. Don't get me wrong, we should win. We probably will win. But Kentucky is one of only about 10 teams in the field that has a chance to beat this team. Was really hoping this would be West V before having to run the gauntlet against Carolina, Duke, and Kansas.

Calipari worries me. He's an excellent coach. For my money, one of the top 3-4 in the country. What he has done with this team of all freshman has been impressive. They've won 8 in a row, 6 of em coming against Tournament teams. 11 of the last 13. Only losses all season were on the road, and lost only two games all season by more than four points. And if you saw the second half against West V, you saw Cal totallu outmaneuver Huggins and a solid veteran West V team with senior guards that can play both ends of the floor. And they team's fan base will travel well to Newark this week.

Also, UK is long on the permiter. Wisconsin provided the blueprint on how to beat this Buckeye team, and UK is just as long, with much more athleticism. i think it will be very interesting to see who Matta puts Lighty on. I'd have him check Knight, who wreaked total havoc last weekend. They gotta keep him outta the lane, and I don't know if Craft can do it. Will also be interesting to see who Calipari puts Liggins (their best defender) on. And how often they double Sullinger. Harrellson has been a nice story this year, but he can't check Jarad one on one.

Can't wait for this game. Fired up it drew the 9:45 PM Friday night time slot.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:02 pm

How come the other teams get to play in cool places like Anaheim, San Antonio, and Nawlins while OSU gets to play in Newark? How did the NIT get Madison Square Garden over the real tourney?

Hope they don't get shot up pregame.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:02 pm

They'll do what they have to throughout but I'd assume Liggins will be on Diebler to start and that Craft will get Knight to start as well (well, once Craft actually checks in).

Harrelson will have to do a decent job on Sullinger to prevent UK from having to double or dig with their perimeter defenders. You turn your head or lose sight of your man for a second against the Buckeyes and you'll pay.

Foul trouble would be deadly in a lot of cases but clearly would be huge here.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:03 pm

furls wrote:You guys watched UK against WVU

Yes

furls wrote:and Princeton right?

Yes

furls wrote:Still worried?

Yes
waborat

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:47 pm

One thing I will say - I know Brandon Knight is not projected to be a top 5-6 pick (most mocks have him going around 10) ... but this kid is going to be an amazing pro player. I would not hesitate one second to take him at #4 if the Cavs get effed in the lottery ... or without even thinking about it at #10 with the Clippers pick.

Kid is long, quick, creative, and makes good quick decisions. And he's great on defense and a 4.0 student.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:06 pm

furls wrote:You guys watched UK against WVU and Princeton right? Still worried? I am not.

^^^^^^^^^

This.

Granted, anything can and does happen in the tourney, but seeing as the Buckeyes beat the first two teams like 6321 to 5, my fingernails look like they just came from a Korean. Bucks look mighty, mighty like a bad ass 70's R & B joint.

That said, I am still PO'd at the East region and what I perceive as an imbalance of talented teams compared to other regions. WTF was the committee thinking? was Smith being PC to sit there and take it?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:20 pm

jb wrote:

^^^^^^^^^

This.

Granted, anything can and does happen in the tourney, but seeing as the Buckeyes beat the first two teams like 6321 to 5, my fingernails look like they just came from a Korean. Bucks look mighty, mighty like a bad ass 70's R & B joint.

That said, I am still PO'd at the East region and what I perceive as an imbalance of talented teams compared to other regions. WTF was the committee thinking? was Smith being PC to sit there and take it?

Buckeyes may have to go through Kentucky, Carolina, Duke, and Kansas to win it all.

That's a crazy gauntlet of blue-blooded basketball institutions.

Would be a helluva way to bring the school their first basketball NC since the 1960 John Havlicek, Jerry Lucas, Bobby Knight team.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Cal has found ways to lose with much better teams than the one he has this year. Buckeyes by 15.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:14 pm

jb wrote:

^^^^^^^^^

This.

Yep, anything can happen and that's why I'm stressed like a 40 yr old cougar who's worried she'll fart loudly in yoga class...

I understand UK didn't look ace until the 2nd half saturday, but that doesn't matter in decisive play...

Hell, VCU dominated USC, GTown & Purdue in just 5 nights last week and I'd be just as concerned if OSU was playing them...

Get by the Royal Blue and I'll begin my IBS with UNC

Call it The Columbus Experience
waborat

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:41 pm

swerb wrote:One thing I will say - I know Brandon Knight is not projected to be a top 5-6 pick (most mocks have him going around 10) ... but this kid is going to be an amazing pro player. I would not hesitate one second to take him at #4 if the Cavs get effed in the lottery ... or without even thinking about it at #10 with the Clippers pick.

Kid is long, quick, creative, and makes good quick decisions. And he's great on defense and a 4.0 student.

He's got Rajon Rondo upside WITH a jumpshot.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:26 pm

The game will come down to three things:

1) Can Craft defend Knight? I think he can...as a fresh phenom, I think Knight gets flustered with Crafts press and tight D. I predict a bad game from BK.

2) Will Sullinger get his? I think Sully gets Harrelson in foul trouble early and feasts on UK back-ups.

3) Will Ashley Judd show up? If so, all bets are off.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:39 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:3) Will Ashley Judd show up? If so, all bets are off.

waborat

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:36 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
swerb wrote:One thing I will say - I know Brandon Knight is not projected to be a top 5-6 pick (most mocks have him going around 10) ... but this kid is going to be an amazing pro player. I would not hesitate one second to take him at #4 if the Cavs get effed in the lottery ... or without even thinking about it at #10 with the Clippers pick.

He's got Rajon Rondo upside WITH a jumpshot.

Rondo is quicker and a better defender. Lets not forget that when Rondo was drafted his O was hugely questioned but everyone thought at worse he would turn into a monster defender. Guy was a lock to be a lock down guard. Knight ain't. And Knight is considered questionable as a pure PG prospect, could easily end up a combo guard if he doesn't continue to improve the hell out of his pure point skills.

Knight has big upside, no doubt, but decision making and D have been VERY up and down at best all year. Only reason a guy that physically talented wouldn't be considered a top five lock at this point.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jta1975 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Rat_Tail wrote:How come the other teams get to play in cool places like Anaheim, San Antonio, and Nawlins while OSU gets to play in Newark? How did the NIT get Madison Square Garden over the real tourney?

Hope they don't get shot up pregame.

Funny and true. From Cleveland, the 4th poorest city to Newark the 10th poorest. At least Cleveland was like a home game.
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Unread postby jta1975 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:36 pm

If we shoot like we are capable of I have no stress, and I am not expecting Lighty to go Glen Rice again.

Well, as long as Enes Kanter doesn't get an emergency reinstatement.
jta1975

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:56 pm

Kanter is out for being paid in Europe, not medical reasons.

Though maybe you know that....

head scratcher there.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jta1975 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:28 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Kanter is out for being paid in Europe, not medical reasons.

Though maybe you know that....

head scratcher there.

Yeah, I knew I was JK... I don't understand some of the decisions of the NCAA. That kid has been sitting there collecting dust all year. He should have just stayed overseas.
jta1975

Unread postby furls » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:37 am

Bottom line, UK cannot shot the post down one on one. They will have double in the post, or at least front Sully with quick weakside help. There will be open shots, if they are falling (at a normal clip) Bucks win by 10. If they catch fire, Bucks win in a laugher. If the rims are unkind, then we chew finger nails for the last five minutes.

Biggest concern for me is early foul trouble for Sully and Craft. I think Lighty should d-up on Knight to ensure that Craft stays on the floor.

The teams that should scare you are teams with multiple good bigs (Kansas) or teams that can comfortably slow the game down and play it in the 50s-60s. If they can keep the score down and make some shots, then anything can happen.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:31 am

waborat wrote:

Nice senior lesbian cougar in that pic, Wabo
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:33 am

waborat wrote:Yep, anything can happen and that's why I'm stressed like a 40 yr old cougar who's worried she'll fart loudly in yoga class...

Its the tourney, brah. See what Swerb said about the Road. It's ludicris the way they stacked this region compared to the others.

Worry about everyone. Worry about no one. Far better teams than this year's tOSU have fllen short over the years.

Expect nothing. Enjoy everything.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:38 am

Rat_Tail wrote: How did the NIT get Madison Square Garden over the real tourney?

Read you up some history young man. NIT / MSG is a nod to the day. Clair Bee wasn't Seinfeld's character in a 5 razzie cartoon movie.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/history/tournament/nit.htm
jb

Unread postby waborat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:57 am

jb wrote:
waborat wrote:

Nice senior lesbian cougar in that pic, Wabo

Sure FUDU's using her as wallpaper ;-) ;) :wink:
waborat

Return to College Sports Arena