Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Another clue as to where out 1st round pick won't be...?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Another clue as to where out 1st round pick won't be...?

Unread postby yogi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:49 pm

and lastly, if our young quarterback turns out to be the quarterback I think he is, --and that’s a big if—that’s a big piece of the puzzle

Thats a MH quote from a short list of reasons why Browns fans should be encouraged from this afternoon's Press conference. (3/14/11).

MH aint a stupid man. He's not gonna go out of his way and keep building up Colt if he is even remotely entertaining spending our 1 on a QB.

This puts the nail in the coffin for me.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Re: Another clue as to where out 1st round pick won't be...?

Unread postby Loo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:01 pm

Well first, the "big if" part makes it seem like a less glowing endorsement.

Second, whatever meaning you take away from that, what if he's just trying to put this out to the media as a smokescreen?

Anything anyone says from December-late April can't be taken seriously as it has an equal chance to be genuine or BS.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:47 am

I think if you read that quote and take it as fact, Holmgren is saying that he's going with McCoy this year. If he turns out the way MH thinks he is, we move forward. If not, looks like the Luck or bust 2012 train pulls out of the station.

As Loo said, it could be a smokescreen for all we know.

Doesn't tell me one way or the other that MH is not looking at a QB in April but saying the right thing to maybe not shake McCoy's ego/confidence.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:30 am

Doesn't tell me one way or the other that MH is not looking at a QB in April but saying the right thing to maybe not shake McCoy's ego/confidence.

It would make zero sense [See:Dawg,Soul] to pimp McCoy up like Walrus has to build his confidence only to demolish it by picking a QB @ #6

Hear me SD?
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:51 am

Why didn't you go so far as to include this quote from the exact same press conference?
team president Mike Holmgren said Monday that the club hasn't ruled out a quarterback with the sixth pick in next month's NFL draft.
In fact, he admitted he's "looking hard" at Auburn quarterback Cam Newton and will study other top quarterbacks in the draft.
"It's kind of interesting isn't it?" said Holmgren during his lockout press conference. "We'll see. I would say, don't discount anything. I've been honest with you about my feelings on Colt, but I'm not coaching the team. Pat Shurmur is the coach.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby yogi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:19 am

pup wrote:Why didn't you go so far as to include this quote from the exact same press conference?
team president Mike Holmgren said Monday that the club hasn't ruled out a quarterback with the sixth pick in next month's NFL draft.
In fact, he admitted he's "looking hard" at Auburn quarterback Cam Newton and will study other top quarterbacks in the draft.
"It's kind of interesting isn't it?" said Holmgren during his lockout press conference. "We'll see. I would say, don't discount anything. I've been honest with you about my feelings on Colt, but I'm not coaching the team. Pat Shurmur is the coach.

I didnt include it because my subject was MH commenting on Colt. My thoughts are MH is not going to continue pimping Colt only to take another QB. I think there is a very small chance he is pimping Colt as " April Spin" to fool people into thinking he doesnt want a QB.

Now what I do think is "April Spin" is his comment on the other top QBs in the draft. Its also smart and due dilligence on the FO part to evaluate all the top players.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:01 am

yogi wrote:
pup wrote:Why didn't you go so far as to include this quote from the exact same press conference?

I didnt include it because my subject was MH commenting on Colt. My thoughts are MH is not going to continue pimping Colt only to take another QB. I think there is a very small chance he is pimping Colt as " April Spin" to fool people into thinking he doesnt want a QB.

Now what I do think is "April Spin" is his comment on the other top QBs in the draft. Its also smart and due dilligence on the FO part to evaluate all the top players.

As long as we are clear, you are picking what is spin and what is not?

Got it.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby hiko » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:11 pm

I don't think Holmgren's comments shed any light on anything, much less the QB situation.

Like I've said, I doubt they'll take a QB at #6. But I wouldn't be completely shocked either. If there's one exec that knows how important the QB position is, it's Holmgren.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:22 pm

hiko wrote:I don't think Holmgren's comments shed any light on anything, much less the QB situation.

Like I've said, I doubt they'll take a QB at #6. But I wouldn't be completely shocked either. If there's one exec that knows how important the QB position is, it's Holmgren.

SD:

Smoke cough cough smoke, he named Newton for two reasons ,

One he doesn't expect him to be there when he picks , and two he opened up the channels for dialogue for anybody who has him on there dias and wants to make a deal .up or down.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:29 pm

hiko wrote:I don't think Holmgren's comments shed any light on anything, much less the QB situation.

SD:

Smoke cough cough smoke, he named Newton for two reasons ,

One he doesn't expect him to be there when he picks , and two he opened up the channels for dialogue for anybody who has him on there dias and wants to make a deal .up or down.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jta1975 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:41 pm

I have heard him twice in interviews say he will probably take a QB at some point in the draft. I take him at his word.

I would say a day 3 QB. A guy they can develop over time.
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL