Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Butt One of many other hijacked Cam Newton threads

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Butt One of many other hijacked Cam Newton threads

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:03 pm

Look,

on the surface, and as of right now. I don't want him, nor think he'll be a good qb for us at this current time.

But, if Heckert and Holmgren come out of this workout and interview, just convinced you have the 2nd coming of Warren Moon or..Big Ben II, I could use to compare this guy too. Then, I'll be behind them.

Those two know far more about football than I could dream of, and I have to trust them in making this move.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:29 am

In a discussion board trolls should be run

Dude, do you actually believe you yiourself aren't a troll when it comes to your "cam on the brain' syndrome?

Not discussion or topics which bring discussion
Even though the weak-minded agenda laden set
can't handle it.

You haven't offered any more than redundant bullshit for months....yrs even and your insinuation that others are agenda laden may be the most ironic/ignorant statement ever made on the web..

They are. Free not to respond or participate

True dat...but you're like a carnival act...the one where peeps pick up the sledge hammer and send your ass up the wall banging your head on the bell....and its free

but that freedom shouldn't extend to elimating what I want
to read or participate in.

The problem for everyone else here and 'over there' is that even after Newton is drafted by another team, you will be here, and 'there', yrs from now, spewing more redundant bullshit takes reminding us what we missed out on every time Newton is lucky enuff to complete a pass...

In fact, I'll bet you never ever get over it
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:33 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
In a discussion board trolls should be run

Dude, do you actually believe you yiourself aren't a troll when it comes to your "cam on the brain' syndrome?

Not discussion or topics which bring discussion
Even though the weak-minded agenda laden set
can't handle it.

You haven't offered any more than redundant bullshit for months....yrs even and your insinuation that others are agenda laden may be the most ironic/ignorant statement ever made on the web..

True dat...but you're like a carnival act...the one where peeps pick up the sledge hammer and send your ass up the wall banging your head on the bell....and its free

The problem for everyone else here and 'over there' is that even after Newton is drafted by another team, you will be here, and 'there', yrs from now, spewing more redundant bullshit takes reminding us what we missed out on every time Newton is lucky enuff to complete a pass...

In fact, I'll bet you never ever get over it

SD:

Get over what , I'm a Browns fan..

i'm used to watching the better players go to other teams , while are doodle brained fans dance in glee , because we didn't choose that terrible fella who spit on the sidewalk once when nobody was looking.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:46 am

i agree with you, SD.

But it also doesn't limit my freedom to crack on you for being a broken ole record.

:woot:
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:58 am

SD is right.

Ain't my flavor but shutting down ain't good for business.

Roll on. But please tune down the caps and the bolds and all of that. It's an eye sore.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:29 pm

jb wrote:

i agree with you, SD.

But it also doesn't limit my freedom to crack on you for being a broken ole record.

SD:

I long for the time when we can advance past the mere A B C's of Football and talk defense .

But alas thats a foreign concept when your class can't grasp the fundamental concept,
that without a top flight QB , your team will never amount to shit, and no rudy doesn't count.

We have to put that issue to rest , then can start talking about adding a Butkus or Lanier to our MLB corp or a Ronnie lott at Safety because we're set on offense ,and then we'll really have something to talk about instead of mock drafts at Christmas.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:39 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
jb wrote:

i agree with you, SD.

SD:

I long for the time when we can advance past the mere A B C's of Football and talk defense .

But alas thats a foreign concept when your class can't grasp the fundamental concept,
that without a top flight QB , your team will never amount to shit, and no rudy doesn't count.

We have to put that issue to rest , then can start talking about adding a Butkus or Lanier to our MLB corp or a Ronnie lott at Safety because we're set on offense ,and then we'll really have something to talk about instead of mock drafts at Christmas.

SoulDawg

Yes, because it's everyone else who can't stop talking about Cam Newton. ::doh::

I agree with your assessment that a HOF LB and a HOF Safety would help the defense too. That's good stuff.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:59 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
jb wrote:

i agree with you, SD.

SD:

SoulDawg

Yes, because it's everyone else who can't stop talking about Cam Newton. ::doh::

I agree with your assessment that a HOF LB and a HOF Safety would help the defense too. That's good stuff.

SD:

So typical.............

It ain't about Newton its about Luck Newton Barkley LUCK Pryor or possibly Moore putting us in a position to hunt..

I look at this as a 14 month proposition to upgrade the most important position in football to a Championship level.

Until thats done everything else amounts to playin with yourself.

Never mind you totally missed the point on defense , I'll pin your whiff as exhibit A.......

Lemons and lemonade..........

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:12 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:SD:

So typical.............

It ain't about Newton its about Luck Newton Barkley LUCK Pryor or possibly Moore putting us in a position to hunt..

I look at this as a 14 month proposition to upgrade the most important position in football to a Championship level.

Never mind you totally missed the point on defense , I'll pin your whiff as exhibit A.......

SoulDawg

Once again SD, I think we all understand your feelings on the QB position. Maybe if you post the same opinion one more time we will all agree with you. Then you can regale us with your great defensive mind about how a Ronnie Lott type safety is good, because I obviously missed the point there.

If you like lemons, you should check out lemonparty.org
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby pup » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Not sure what there is to disagree with SD about.

Have a QB, have a chance.

Don't have a QB? Better have everything else.

Not even up for debate.

You want to debate if Cam is? No problem. I still agree with SD that he has a better chance of it than Colt, but if you don't...you don't.

But needing a great one is pretty elementary.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:13 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

So typical.............

SoulDawg

Once again SD, I think we all understand your feelings on the QB position. Maybe if you post the same opinion one more time we will all agree with you. Then you can regale us with your great defensive mind about how a Ronnie Lott type safety is good, because I obviously missed the point there.

If you like lemons, you should check out lemonparty.org

SD:

Nice of you to come into a Cam Newton thread and complain , because all you find is Cam Newton discussion .

and

Just for you because you missed it twice , when we can have discussions around here where everybody is touting their defensive favorites because we
finally found the grail on offense ,we will have arrived , but not until then.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Nice of you to come into a Cam Newton thread and complain , because all you find is Cam Newton discussion .

and

Just for you because you missed it twice , when we can have discussions around here where everybody is touting their defensive favorites because we
finally found the grail on offense ,we will have arrived , but not until then.

SoulDawg

Feel free to talk about Cam Newton in the Cam Newton thread all you want. Am I stopping you?

In fact, what do you think about possibly drafting him? Think it would be a good idea? I don't know why you continue to beat around the bush on the subject.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:23 pm

pup wrote:Not sure what there is to disagree with SD about.

Not even up for debate.

You want to debate if Cam is? No problem. I still agree with SD that he has a better chance of it than Colt, but if you don't...you don't.

I don't think there's much to disagree with either actually as far as the overall importance of a QB in the NFL.

But, this is no longer a debate. This is Groundhog Day.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:32 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

Not even up for debate.

I don't think there's much to disagree with either actually as far as the overall importance of a QB in the NFL.

SD:

When challenged competitors respond , don't start cryin it ain't fair when you get hit back harder than you thought you shoulda been smacked.

Too many colt luv threads blocked any meaningful discussion , so the debate is on as long as you have those who believe Colt can one day maybe maybe pretty please cross your fingers if your lucky amount to sumpthin.

Now that it comes out in the media teams are hot for his services including the Browns,
suddenly those main culprits err a I mean , same pundits who had maintained we weren't interested after foolishly taking corporate smoke filled pre draft psycho babble as gospel, now realize they been Bullshitted again.

Now beaten at their best , suddenly the subject has no further interest or importance.

Never mind the Browns don't have a QB.

Well Alllllrrrrrighty then.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:39 pm

Think the Cam look is due diligence and establishing an 'interest' so you can raise a bet with a bluff if you're so inclined on draft day.

We agree (almost all of us) on the principle that you need to throw the ball to win SD. Just disagree on who should be throwing it.

I don't know if Colt's the guy.

I don't think Cam is either.

SoulDawg74 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

Not even up for debate.

SD:

When challenged competitors respond , don't start cryin it ain't fair when you get hit back harder than you thought you shoulda been smacked.

Too many colt luv threads blocked any meaningful discussion , so the debate is on as long as you have those who believe Colt can one day maybe maybe pretty please cross your fingers if your lucky amount to sumpthin.

Now that it comes out in the media teams are hot for his services including the Browns,
suddenly those main culprits err a I mean , same pundits who had maintained we weren't interested after foolishly taking corporate smoke filled pre draft psycho babble as gospel, now realize they been Bullshitted again.

Now beaten at their best , suddenly the subject has no further interest or importance.

SoulDawg

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:22 pm

peeker643 wrote:Think the Cam look is due diligence and establishing an 'interest' so you can raise a bet with a bluff if you're so inclined on draft day.

We agree (almost all of us) on the principle that you need to throw the ball to win SD. Just disagree on who should be throwing it.

I don't know if Colt's the guy.

I don't think Cam is either.

SoulDawg74 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

Not even up for debate.

SD:

SoulDawg

SD:

You know what peeks , thats alright , a body can live with that.

Some of the NFL's best signal callers have come from smaller schools ,

So I don't give a damn if we win with a converted linebacker so much as we find the guy .

We have no chance at Newton falling to 6 and although Locker has been a big dissappointment , i have no problem if Holmgren took him thinking he could make something out of him , the RAW athleticism
is there .

I think despite the rhetoric their frantically looking to upgrade that spot now hoping this will be the last time we pick that high again .

I hope they don't reach if the guy they really want ain't there nor would I condemn them if they trade up
if they identify who they want even if thats Gabbert, even though I'd prefer they investigate a trade out if thats who fell to us at six , because i don't view him as a signifigent upgrade over Colt.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Loo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:05 pm

I'd have a big problem with the Browns taking Locker at #6.

There are five elite defensive players in this draft, and four of them have legitimate arguments to be the number one pick (Dareus, Fairley, Peterson, Bowers) while the fifth (Quinn) was projected go top-3 before the season started. Then there's A.J. Green.

There is a 100% chance the Browns come away with either a top-5 talent on the defensive side of the ball or the most hyped WR since Calvin Johnson.

But yeah, let's take a QB projected to go in the late first round and is thought of--at best--the third best QB in this class with the sixth overall pick.

For the record, I still want Quinn.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:18 pm

Loo wrote:I'd have a big problem with the Browns taking Locker at #6.

There are five elite defensive players in this draft, and four of them have legitimate arguments to be the number one pick (Dareus, Fairley, Peterson, Bowers) while the fifth (Quinn) was projected go top-3 before the season started. Then there's A.J. Green.

There is a 100% chance the Browns come away with either a top-5 talent on the defensive side of the ball or the most hyped WR since Calvin Johnson.

But yeah, let's take a QB projected to go in the late first round and is thought of--at best--the third best QB in this class with the sixth overall pick.

SD:

Actually if they don't get Newton , I'd prefer they revisit next year , than draft Gabbert or Locker , but if they identify either as what they want , then I just have to sit back and wait and see if there as clueless as the rest
of the bumpkins who rolled outta Berea or pure genius.

and don't worry about Quinn ,he'll probably be Ellways first camp cut err
I mean Fox, so maybe you can have him up for a tailgate or sumpthin if they ever have a season.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:49 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

Actually if they don't get Newton , I'd prefer they revisit next year , than draft Gabbert or Locker , but if they identify either as what they want , then I just have to sit back and wait and see if there as clueless as the rest

I mean Fox, so maybe you can have him up for a tailgate or sumpthin if they ever have a season.

SoulDawg

I'm down with that. Maybe this lockout will work in the Brown's favor in the race for Anderew Luck. Even if Holmy is still convinced that Colt is the man, can you imagine the price teams would be willing to pay to trade up for that dude?

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Loo meant Quinn the DE from UNC. That's how I took it anyway.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:45 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

I'm down with that. Maybe this lockout will work in the Brown's favor in the race for Anderew Luck. Even if Holmy is still convinced that Colt is the man, can you imagine the price teams would be willing to pay to trade up for that dude?

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Loo meant Quinn the DE from UNC. That's how I took it anyway.

SD:

Egads your probably right about Quinn,.................. mea culpa,......... Loo

If Quinn is your choice , no doubt he was a pre combine favorite , since the combine I'm more intrigued with Bowers and Dareus , the bigger stronger man sized packages as I see 34 OLB written all over Quinn.

Could be wrong about that , but I didn't like his strength at 43 DE ( 20 reps ) although the size to speed package was impressive .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:36 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:50 pm

Journalism in the new millennium, Rich. Not enough to have a fan run site, such as this one, with really knowledgeable guys who turn out solid shit every day and once in awhile touch on something really special. No, to be successful these days you have to run somebody down, get noticed by being controversial, adversarial, having an agenda. In short, being a fucking doosh with no integrity.

Expected from some blogger, but from PFW it goes so far over the line the line ceases to exist.

Jim Murray weeps from the grave.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:14 pm

Are we sure that Rich is invoking the saviour's name at the messenger, or is it the message.

Keep this kid away from Ohio. One is enough.

Edit - To northern KY as Akili II is OK unpon reflection. But I don't consider that real Ohio. maybe Ohio Classic after secession.
jb

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:33 pm

jb wrote:Are we sure that Rich is invoking the saviour's name at the messenger, or is it the message.

Keep this kid away from Ohio. One is enough.

racked.

Get me another joe haden, dudes become the biggest Cavs honk I've seen in a while.

Again, Box V. Boat, I want the boat every-time right now.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Think it depends on how it was presented. If the writer spent a great deal of time with the subject then I see no issue in him puting forth his opinions. If you don't think scouts aren't writing the same things about players you're crazy.

This is where the insider stuff is headed. If dude is an authority and has put in the time then I have no issue with him sharing it with people who want to buy it.

If it's the typical kid in his parent's basement speculating off of nothing then that's shit.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:04 pm

peeker643 wrote:If it's the typical kid in his parent's basement speculating off of nothing then that's shit.

Correct a wrong assumption, but isn't this PWF aka the legacy of Joel B? If Joel B wrote this, I'd take it same as Matt, Luke, Mark and Jhonny NFL draft-wise.

has PFW changed as far as it's reputation?
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:11 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:If it's the typical kid in his parent's basement speculating off of nothing then that's shit.

Correct a wrong assumption, but isn't this PWF aka the legacy of Joel B? If Joel B wrote this, I'd take it same as Matt, Luke, Mark and Jhonny NFL draft-wise.

The guy chastising the author seems to believe in the publication. So I'm not sure why he makes this an issue.

It's what people who buy PFW are paying for. And again, as long as the PFW author came by that info with effort and honesty then I just don't have an issue with it.

No different than an NFL scout leaking his report on Cam IF IF IF the PFW author was diligent in forming that opinion and I have no reason to believe he wasn't.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:07 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

The guy chastising the author seems to believe in the publication. So I'm not sure why he makes this an issue.

It's what people who buy PFW are paying for. And again, as long as the PFW author came by that info with effort and honesty then I just don't have an issue with it.

No different than an NFL scout leaking his report on Cam IF IF IF the PFW author was diligent in forming that opinion and I have no reason to believe he wasn't.

SD:

peeks Baushbum was no joke , but whats the reason for this kid playin the Joker.

Never saw such a smear campaign written with such vigor and vitriol especially when it came to the QB position where they're all sacred cows.

Dan Marinos positive test was whispered and he never was anybodies choir boy .

Smells like a payoff or somebody writing an autobiugraphy on Micheal Jordan.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:27 pm

No bloggers in the Marino days or it woulda been bad for him too.

All I'm saying is if the author is respected (and the guy writing the article appears to believe he is) then an 'Insider' piece is different than a blogger or someone with no access to Cam slamming the kid.

I don't know if its educated or bullshit. It depends on the resume' of the writer.

If Pluto spent a month with the guy and wrote that article you'd be more likely to believe it than if it's me or Benz or someone here without access saying it.

That's all. Not defending or criticizing because I don't know the author of the piece.

SoulDawg74 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

SD:

peeks Baushbum was no joke , but whats the reason for this kid playin the Joker.

Never saw such a smear campaign written with such vigor and vitriol especially when it came to the QB position where they're all sacred cows.

SoulDawg

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:46 pm

peeker643 wrote:No bloggers in the Marino days or it woulda been bad for him too.

All I'm saying is if the author is respected (and the guy writing the article appears to believe he is) then an 'Insider' piece is different than a blogger or someone with no access to Cam slamming the kid.

I don't know if its educated or bullshit. It depends on the resume' of the writer.

If Pluto spent a month with the guy and wrote that article you'd be more likely to believe it than if it's me or Benz or someone here without access saying it.

That's all. Not defending or criticizing because I don't know the author of the piece.

SoulDawg74 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

SD:

Understand , could be a Washington blogger hoping he drops or a Bama Alum getting his kicks , the problem being Baushbum as a reference is going to lend him mucho credence albeit truth fantasy or something inbetween.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:36 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

It's what people who buy PFW are paying for.

Opinion? I assumed they would be paying for facts? It's a scouting report, not an editorial.

And again, as long as the PFW author came by that info with effort and honesty then I just don't have an issue with it.

He admitted to never having met Newton nor spent time with him.

Essentially, he is leaking the opinion of some NFL Scouts. I have no issues with the general assessment, but for a once highly regarded publication to throw that out there as the author's own evaluation is simply irresponsible.
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:46 pm

mattvan1 wrote:[

I didn't read the actual article, just Farrar's article on the article. I have to occasionally get something done here OBO Progressive. But what I said stands: if dude spent time and came by that assessment honestly (and I'd lengthen 'honestly' to include opinions of trusted scouts in that) then I'm with that kind of personal info on Cam.

No, I'd never be fine with the publication or author making it appear those thoughts were their own if they were not.

And matt, if you don't think guys get passed over or worse because of subjective character opinions, well, not sure what to say. I'm not sure there are yet analytics available for 'being an asshole'.

Although some might point to my post total as an accurate one.

When scouts are asked about what kind of kid a prospect is there is no, "Well Scout, whaddya think of him" and an answer of, "Well, 32.4% of the time he was genuine and 78.6% of the time he was kind when tested. He did seek cameras in 62% of the opportunities he had to do so."

;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Chicanery is always possible SD, but AFAIK PFW doesn't have that type of allegency an dthey arguably have the most pristine rep of all draft publications.

Wen I hear hooves in Ohio, I tend to think horses rather than Quagga, dig?
jb

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:42 pm

peeker643 wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:[

I didn't read the actual article, just Farrar's article on the article. I have to occasionally get something done here OBO Progressive. But what I said stands: if dude spent time and came by that assessment honestly (and I'd lengthen 'honestly' to include opinions of trusted scouts in that) then I'm with that kind of personal info on Cam.

No, I'd never be fine with the publication or author making it appear those thoughts were their own if they were not.

And matt, if you don't think guys get passed over or worse because of subjective character opinions, well, not sure what to say. I'm not sure there are yet analytics available for 'being an asshole'.

Although some might point to my post total as an accurate one.

When scouts are asked about what kind of kid a prospect is there is no, "Well Scout, whaddya think of him" and an answer of, "Well, 32.4% of the time he was genuine and 78.6% of the time he was kind when tested. He did seek cameras in 62% of the opportunities he had to do so."

;-) ;) :wink:

You have forgotten more about journalistic ethics than I will ever learn, but in this case, to me, it just seems that if had he written "many NFL scouts are questioning Newton's sincerity.........blah blah blah" instead of writing as if these were his own thoughts it wouldn't seem so poor. It really blurs the line to me, but as I wrote above I am way beyond my pay grade here.
mattvan1

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:55 pm

See Matt, i'm just the opposite. He put his name on it and sourced himself and actually went on record. To me that' guts; journalism the way it should be rather than hiding behind vagueness.
jb

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:42 pm

jb wrote:See Matt, i'm just the opposite. He put his name on it and sourced himself and actually went on record. To me that' guts; journalism the way it should be rather than hiding behind vagueness.

I definitely see the other side of it. Guy has a lot of brass, I'll give him that. I think I'm most likely a bit stuck in the past on this one - probably way behind the times.

Maybe I need to change my avatar to Matt Drudge ;-) ;) :wink:
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:19 pm

jb wrote:See Matt, i'm just the opposite. He put his name on it and sourced himself and actually went on record. To me that' guts; journalism the way it should be rather than hiding behind vagueness.

I agree with that part of it.

But if those impressions were not his and they were those of scouts and whoever else then I think Matt's right from a journalistic integrity standpoint.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:48 pm

peeker643 wrote:

But if those impressions were not his and they were those of scouts and whoever else then I think Matt's right from a journalistic integrity standpoint.

SD:

Thats all I'm saying Joe B's publications were pretty much gospel, , but this piece comes off as a kiss and tell novel.

Like the author was his roomate in day camp thru the season and shared dates together for a year.

If he was that big of a Pig , it sure as hell would have come out from more sources by now , and showed up in interviews and in the public ...
Girls talk.......and gossip travels faster than a brush fire.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:53 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

SD:

Thats all I'm saying Joe B's publications were pretty much gospel, , but this piece comes off as a kiss and tell novel.

ou know what I really think a you Greg, but I gotta call you out here.

If someone went on record in 97, put their name on it from their observations, and told the world not to draft Cryin' Leaf casue he was a head case, you'd hail him as Socrates.

You are only skeptical becasue thus is your boi.
jb

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:22 am

jb wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

SD:

ou know what I really think a you Greg, but I gotta call you out here.

If someone went on record in 97, put their name on it from their observations, and told the world not to draft Cryin' Leaf casue he was a head case, you'd hail him as Socrates.

You are only skeptical becasue thus is your boi.

SD:

There were signs on leaf , but just dismissed as Rich kid didn't give a shit.

Bobby Beathard staked his entire reputation and standing on him rolled the dice and came up craps.

Dick vermiel drafted that woman beater outta Nebraska and couldn't turn him around.

We drafted Couch and got a 15 watt bulb to run a 100 watt circuit board.

If you were objectionable in your glee to endorse this story , I could buy into your sudden passion to be a good citizen , but all this is , is a childish petulant attempt to get back at me for saying what you know to be true in your heart of hearts .

Tim Couch ain't shit , just the fantasy demigod of your childhood lost.

let it go man.

i'll say it right here and now , if Newton is a true fuckhead then we don't need him , but in my experience when bullshit iswarmed up and poured over a guy and there is motive to smear him , then it behooves you even more to find out why somebody is trying so hard to fuck over the kid.

and the patented crap .

He's just doing his civil good citizen part in the process is the last shit I'm buying.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:05 am

I emailed the PFW author, Nolan Nawrocki. He responded.

Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 12:51 AM
Subject: RE: Cam Newton

Matt,

Thanks for your interest in PFW. Many in the NFL scouting community do share the concerns expressed in PFW’s report.

Best,
Nolan

Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:26 PM
To: Nolan Nawrocki
Subject: Cam Newton

I would assume that you are taking some heat for your scouting report comments.

Just curious as to if you have first hand info of his behavior or are you relying on people close to the Auburn program? Are these feelings shared by NFL scouts?

Thanks,

Matt
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:00 am

Heard his interview today. That entire paragraph was supposedly included because of multiple NFL scouts sharing those opinions. Again, subterfuge or sincere? Who effing knows really. But I guess we'll find out on draft night how scared people are or if their fears outweigh his upside.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:04 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
i'll say it right here and now , if Newton is a true fuckhead then we don't need him , but in my experience when bullshit iswarmed up and poured over a guy and there is motive to smear him , then it behooves you even more to find out why somebody is trying so hard to fuck over the kid.

and the patented crap .

He's just doing his civil good citizen part in the process is the last shit I'm buying.

SoulDawg

You're right SD. When you have a kid with as much talent as Cam has, you really do need to do your homework. But, what motivation could Nawrocki have to throw him under the bus? Other than racism, I suppose, and that has been brought up. It really does seem kind of a silly reason, though, for a guy who's job is to evaluate football players, a good portion of which are black.

Nawrocki is, I'm sure, just stating what he's heard from scouts. I see no other reason for him to write that. And, I'm guessing he's heard it from multiple sources too. I suppose it's possible that all of these reports are coming from scouts associated with the Panthers, Bills, Bengals, and Cardinals in an attempt to throw other teams off. I guess.

But, isn't that a bit of a grand conspiracy? Isn't it far more likely that the report is accurate, nobody is "out to get" Cam, and the kid is a bit of a douche?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:09 am

IIRC, PFW and Nawrocki had similar assessments on Jamarcus Russell and Jimmy Clausen.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:21 am

I wish we could spend this time talking about you know...players that would actually help the Browns out RIGHT NOW...Like Peteron or Jones.

Would love to hear some of that over hyping some Vince Young wannabe.

Triple-S

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:25 am

PFW on Clausen:

Negatives: Too manufactured-has a high effort delivery. Tends to hop in the pocket and is not much of a scrambling threat-can be flustered by the rush and takes too many sacks. Has a tendency to overstride when he goes deep, lowering his release point, and has to put his entire body into the throw and chuck it like it's a javelin. Puts too much air underneath the deep ball and launches some rainmakers. Inconsistent deep accuracy- was 0-for-7 throwing to his deep right in five games charted the past two years. Has an awkward follow-through and too often falls backward after he throws. Had a strong supporting cast with receivers who attacked the ball. Has a sense of entitlement, having attended private schools, worked with private QB coaches and being sheltered by his family, who bought a house on campus so his brothers had a place to stay for every game. Arrogant-can come off as having all the answers and struggle to win a locker room. Still immature. Comes across as overly staged, scripted and disingenuous in interviews and does not have the type of presence desired in the face of a franchise. Is not a fan of the weight room.

Summary: A tough, instinctive, competitive gamer who overhauled his mechanics from the time he was a freshman, physically matured and developed into a decisive marksman. Has been groomed by Charlie Weis and has an advanced understanding of the game that will allow him to step into a starting lineup readily. However, he is cut from the same cloth as Rex Grossman and J.P. Losman, possessing an elitist attitude and selfishness that could polarize a locker room and create needless drama that may detract from a team. The defining question of his career is whether he possesses the intangibles and makeup to become a leader and win the respect of his teammates."
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:28 am

Triple-S wrote:I wish we could spend this time talking about you know...players that would actually help the Browns out RIGHT NOW...Like Peteron or Jones.

I said at least 2 months ago this will never end even after the draft

Every time a Browns QB throws and int or has a bad game we will be reminded of what we did not do to draft Cam Newton...

Hell, McCoy could win a SB and SD would be here to give us all the reasons why he'd never win another

Its a hopeless cause
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:38 am

PFW on Russell:

NEGATIVES:

Showed up overweight at the Combine and has a flabby body that looks like it has not seen a weight room. Relies too much on his arm and natural ability and does not like to work. Has a lackadaisical approach to the game, nearly lost his job in a competition prior to his junior season and needs to take the game more seriously. Struggled to put points on the board vs. the speed of Auburn's and Florida's defenses,and when he is forced to make quick reads he struggles. Does not find second and third receivers as fast as he has to. Does not have a consistent throwing motion,and the ball tends to come out at different places every time. Does not protect the football well. Does not show great timing and anticipation. Telegraphs his passes and rarely looks off the high safety (see Florida game). Will require very tough coaching from a strong, authoritative figure, or he will get away with everything he can and may never develop. Acts as if he has made it already and does not realize how far he has to go.

SUMMARY:

Has as much potential as any quarterback to enter the draft, but the team that drafts him better have an experienced and patient veteran coaching staff in place to provide the tough coaching he will need to develop. For as much upside as he has, and its off the charts, his downside is just as great, and he could be out of the league just as fast as he is in the Pro Bowl. A very high-risk, high-reward pick. Russell is the type of player who could lose his motivation after a big payday. Whoever drafts him better make sure they properly evaluate his mental makeup and character, or they could set back their franchise at least 3 years. Strikingly similar to Vikings 1999 11th overall draft pick and current Dolphins QB Daunte Culpepper, whose only success has come under the demanding Scott Linehan, but Russell is not as athletic nor does he have Culpepper's scrambling ability.

--

Neither the Clausen or Russell assessments are as scathing as Newton's, but they certainly touch on many of the same subjects. I dont have a problem with the report, as PFW has always commented on prospects' character, mental makeup, etc. If hsi research yielded those conclusions on Cam, so be it.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:38 am

Triple-S wrote:I wish we could spend this time talking about you know...players that would actually help the Browns out RIGHT NOW...Like Peteron or Jones.

Every time a Browns QB throws and int or has a bad game we will be reminded of what we did not do to draft Cam Newton...

Hell, McCoy could win a SB and SD would be here to give us all the reasons why he'd never win another

Its a hopeless cause

^ dead on, dude is toxic to this forum, takes all I have to even read half the crap in here until the draft is over let alone participate. SSDD in every fucking thread. Its old. Props to anyone who can deal with it on a daily basis.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby pup » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:28 pm

Ziner wrote:

Its a hopeless cause

^ dead on, dude is toxic to this forum, takes all I have to even read half the crap in here until the draft is over let alone participate. SSDD in every fucking thread. Its old. Props to anyone who can deal with it on a daily basis.

Nothing says anyone has to ever read or respond to anything SD writes.

The replies are just as much the fuel to the fire as anything else is.

In fact, there is a feature on this site called ignore that will make it very easy to not be bothered by any of this. Use it. Or don't. But redundant posts calling out a redundant post are just as bad.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL