Text Size

College Sports Arena

Tress was a Bad Bad Boy

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Tress was a Bad Bad Boy

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:40 am

jb wrote:Don't know if I am late to the party on this, but the emails in question were found as a result of an NCAA audit. Not internal to tOSU. Not shared or volunteered. Per Romie.

Also, I believe all that is going down is carefully orchetsrated within the walls of tOSU and JT is maneuvered into taking a fall of a significant degree, but in exchange for keepin his gig the buck will stop with him. I can't speculate about the Leaders & Legends or the NCAA.

Lastly, dan, I guess we're going to have to disagree about tPeezy. If you can't see the compromises he;s placed the program in through his ego and immaturity, we need to do that old gentlemenly "agree to disagree" civil handshake thing.

This.

I feel weird reading this thread, lot more "shock" from posters I wouldn't have expected. Certainly didn't see myself in the minority, being only slightly surprised at this.

I do think this reeks of a University-wide orchestration. I dont think for a second that Tress didn't let anyone in on this. Mind you it doesn't change much in the situation.

Still all of the same issues in play under that assumption.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:48 am

motherscratcher wrote:One thing I've seen brought up repeatedly is the fact that Tressel is in breech of contract and should therefore be fired. That Tressel can be fired is not in dispute. But it seems like a lot of people are assuming that just because he can be fired, he is some how being let off the hook if he is not. I don't get that. There are appropriate punishments other than firing.

Just because he can be fired doesn't necessarily mean that he should be fired. I'm often amazed at how nonchalantly people call for the termination of someone else's employment. As if it's no big deal.

I agree. Its funny that people think that a since it violated the contract, that it was somehow supposed to mean automatic termination.

Its at the employers discretion, just like it would be anywhere.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 am

Couple days late, few dollars short...

Born and raised in Youngstown. Grew up watching JT's Penquins. As a kid, went to many YSU tailgates on those Saturday afternoons. It was a glorious time for an inglorious town. People laughed, drank, cheered, but above all, actually felt proud about where they lived. And we got to throw snowballs at Steve McNair.

But that's not why I called.

I'm shocked that people are shocked. Not necessarily shocked in the "everyone in big time college football cheats" kinda way. More shocked that people put JT on this pedestal of moral and ethical righteousness. Sure, he professed all the right virtues. But he always came across as a guy that says the things you want to hear. He always seemed like a politician to me. Christ, his nickname said it all. Somewhere along the line, he lost perspective and really started eating all the shit people in the general public expoused about him. Exhibit A - The Winners Manual. Still seemed like bullshit to me.

EOD, I couldnt care less of the outcome. Do I personally think its a fireable offense? No. But, again, I couldnt care less if he's fired, forced to resign, suspended for a year, tarred and feathered, etc. (Frankly, I have a bet with a buddy that Urb Meyer coaches the Bucks within the next 5 years, so I wouldn't mind it if he was fired :))

Anyone who bought the Quaker act was either blind or wearing scarlet and gray colored glasses. This is big boy college athletics. They are all crooked, to a degree.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:41 am

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:Couple days late, few dollars short...

Born and raised in Youngstown. Grew up watching JT's Penquins. As a kid, went to many YSU tailgates on those Saturday afternoons. It was a glorious time for an inglorious town. People laughed, drank, cheered, but above all, actually felt proud about where they lived. And we got to throw snowballs at Steve McNair.

Did you put batteries in the snowballs? It only counts if you use batteries. Fuckin' amateurs.

JDJ wrote:But that's not why I called.

I'm shocked that people are shocked. Not necessarily shocked in the "everyone in big time college football cheats" kinda way. More shocked that people put JT on this pedestal of moral and ethical righteousness. Sure, he professed all the right virtues. But he always came across as a guy that says the things you want to hear. He always seemed like a politician to me. Christ, his nickname said it all. Somewhere along the line, he lost perspective and really started eating all the shit people in the general public expoused about him. Exhibit A - The Winners Manual. Still seemed like bullshit to me.

EOD, I couldnt care less of the outcome. Do I personally think its a fireable offense? No. But, again, I couldnt care less if he's fired, forced to resign, suspended for a year, tarred and feathered, etc. (Frankly, I have a bet with a buddy that Urb Meyer coaches the Bucks within the next 5 years, so I wouldn't mind it if he was fired :))

Anyone who bought the Quaker act was either blind or wearing scarlet and gray colored glasses. This is big boy college athletics. They are all crooked, to a degree.

If I'm shocked it's not because the choirboy Jim Tressel cheated, although I do think it's out of character. I'm not excusing it, but I think everybody in D1 probably cheats to some degree. Again, that doesn't make it OK. I'm just saying that it doesn't shock me when something like this is exposed ANYWHERE, and that includes tOSU.

What I am shocked about is that I thought Tress was smarter than this. I'm shocked he thought he could get away with it, considering the microscope tOSU is under. I'm shocked that he didn't realize that sitting on this instead of reporting it ASAP was going to be like turning a roman candle into a fuckin' nuke.

In fact, I'm so shocked by those things that I'm not buying it. I'm with JB and Peek in that I think Jimmy is probably falling on his sword and taking more of the blame than he deserves for the good of the program.

YMMV and we will never know for sure.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:58 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Geezes christ this thread is gross.........

Mo-Clar's cousin played with me know. Know the family and all that shit well.... don't mean a thing,

And now I get Mickey Monus being rolled around?

I'll show you Ed Muransky's dick before any of ya'll have a clue a bout Y-town.

Don't talk about what you don't know.

Dan a shill but ya'll blood thirsty.

When the buzz wears off, feel free to translate.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:35 am

Did you put batteries in the snowballs? It only counts if you use batteries. Fuckin' amateurs.

Dude, it was Youngstown...you think we'd throw away perfectly good batteries?

What I am shocked about is that I thought Tress was smarter than this. I'm shocked he thought he could get away with it, considering the microscope tOSU is under. I'm shocked that he didn't realize that sitting on this instead of reporting it ASAP was going to be like turning a roman candle into a fuckin' nuke.

In fact, I'm so shocked by those things that I'm not buying it. I'm with JB and Peek in that I think Jimmy is probably falling on his sword and taking more of the blame than he deserves for the good of the program.

Okay. Then we are talking about different things. I'm with ya.

Not sure I totally buy into the conspiracy theory...but I'm coming around.

One problem I have with it though...

Tress, like most college football coaches, has an ego. While the NFL is about players, the NCAA is about the coaches. Legacy is important. I have a hard time believing that JT would willingly soil his legacy and reputation and take the fall if others were (more) to blame. Dude has won 5 national titles and if he would have kept his nose clean would have put himself very near to the pantheon of the profession.

Maybe his love for the university supersedes all, but I’m having a hard time believing that.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:50 am

^^ Don't be ridiculous. Dead batteries weigh just as much as new batteries. If you were from Cleveland you would know that. I lived in Boardman for a year and one thing I learned was that you guys don't know shit about batteries, or pizza. Except Cocca's white pizza, which was the cat's ass. Loved that shit.

I don't think that Jimmy is taking all of the blame due to some overriding sense of virtue and selfless love of program. He definitely fucked up. But, it isn't a matter of him being either 100% to blame vs being 0% to blame. I believe it falls somewhere in the middle. In that grey area that everyone likes to pretend doesn't exist.

But he's taking damn near 100% of the blame. And it makes sense. He's getting bent over either way. Might as well take as much heat off the program that you will still be running. The sooner you get back to winning, the sooner people forget about this.

But, I don't think he'd be taking the epic hit to his rep and legacy if it wasn't getting tarnished regardless.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:22 pm

I learned was that you guys don't know shit about batteries, or pizza. Except Cocca's white pizza, which was the cat's ass. Loved that shit.

All I know about batteries is that if I wanted to use a flashlight, I couldnt change the channel on the tv.

And don't speak to me about pie :) You've obviously never been to The Elmton.

But he's taking damn near 100% of the blame. And it makes sense. He's getting bent over either way. Might as well take as much heat off the program that you will still be running. The sooner you get back to winning, the sooner people forget about this.

I don't know. I see OSU getting ripped here too. The vultures are out in the press. OSU may be the most polarizing program in the country, and there are many out there pouncing on this story, making it about more than Jim Tressel. I hear ya that he is getting the brunt of the blame, but OSU is hardly getting off scott free in the court of public opinion. Hell, Gee's dumbass comments at the presser about JT "firing him" showed that the university wasn't exactly putting JT out on an island here.

Now, if you are saying that he's falling on the sword to save OSU from program-killing sanctions (rather than just tarnished public image)...maybe you are on to something. We'll have to see how this all unfolds.
JacksonDysonJackson

Re: Larry King Dawg Checking In...

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:35 pm

pup wrote:Since they e-mailed you they care more than someone who just watches them on Saturday? :spar:

Jeez, pup, I guess I really struck a nerve with you on that one. When I gave people credit for being "serious OSU fans" I guess I should have limited it to the people I already knew. The strangers who emailed...they all could have been bullshitting me about how serious their "fanhood" is. (I realize the question was rhetorical.)

The casual fan is no less entitled to an opinion than the fanatic one...and often (but not always) they're more worth considering because they're less clouded by emotion.

On this issue, everybody's opinions are cheap.

Besides, fanhood is hard to define anyway. There are dozens of retired dentists with dresser drawers full of scarlet sweaters who haven't missed a home game in 25 years, and who would bristle at the suggestion that a bigger OSU "fan" exists anywhere on the planet....but who couldn't name an offensive line starter or an assistant coach if their lives depended on it. The point is he can be all "serious" and "committed" without being informed or credible.

As we've learned here, credibility is achieved by having played with a distant relative of a former player from a decade ago.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby pup » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:44 pm

All good Dan. Bustin Balls and all about that comment.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:50 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:And don't speak to me about pie :) You've obviously never been to The Elmton.

Not to mention the broasted chicken, bitches.

I've lived or travelled to damn near every major region of t USA. Best pizza anywhere on a consistent basis is in Y-town. Only Chicago for that style comes close.
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:55 pm

Yeah man, what is it with tOSU & t DDS ? It's like a cult. Almost skull & bones crazy.
jb

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:16 pm

jb wrote:Yeah man, what is it with tOSU & t DDS ? It's like a cult. Almost skull & bones crazy.

Watch yourself dude. I can only protect you for so long if you step farther out on that ledge.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:43 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
jb wrote:Yeah man, what is it with tOSU & t DDS ? It's like a cult. Almost skull & bones crazy.

Watch yourself dude. I can only protect you for so long if you step farther out on that ledge.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exhibit "A".

Every dentist I've ever been to has a shrine to tOSU. The one with the best autographed Woody paraphenalia I had to stop going to casue he went to the hooose-kow for dealing happy and sleepy pills illegally.

Too bad. Good dentist.
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Not to denigrate dentists per se, MoScratch. Some of my best friends.......

Back in the day when we were attending Buckeye games as college kids, we used to be frustrated by the relatively sedate, quiet, uncrazy crowds at The Horseshoe, and the conventional wisdom at the time was "what do you expect from 30,000 dentists and their wives?"

Never have been able to get that identification of the generic, gray-haired, Horseshoe regular out of my brain.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:16 pm

danwismar wrote:Not to denigrate dentists per se, MoScratch. Some of my best friends.......

Back in the day when we were attending Buckeye games as college kids, we used to be frustrated by the relatively sedate, quiet, uncrazy crowds at The Horseshoe, and the conventional wisdom at the time was "what do you expect from 30,000 dentists and their wives?"

Never have been able to get that identification of the generic, gray-haired, Horseshoe regular out of my brain.

You just didn't hang with the right dentists. You should have been to one of our upside down margarita parties. A dental chair comes in very handy for that.

They were also kicked out of the graduation ceremony for a few years because they were passing around a blowup doll filled with nitrous, but that was a few before my time.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:39 pm

Bump

Blood in the water, sharks are a coming.

We'll see just how clean the program has been the last nine years or so now. Reporters looking to make their bones, papers looking to have something worth reading.

Like I said before, the worst part about something like this may not have been the act itself and maybe not even the first lie.

It's the fact you've just put a big fucking red X on your chest for every goddamn media entity in the country and every NCAA suit looking to make the next pay grade too.

But tpeezy2's swag is fresh as of yesterday. Buckeye football fans do have that going for them.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:50 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Stop picking on TPeezy2. he's just a kid. When you were 21 like you knew the difference between right and wrong and breaking well understood rules that put a whole lot of other people's livlihoods and careers at risk and like you didn't act like an entitled dooshnozzle 24 / 7. C'mon Brian, cut him some slck already. Think of all the money he's made tOSU program an dhow he's exploited. Why, if they didn't have TPezy2 they probably draw .5 less paying customers at home per game over the course of 3 seasons. Attendance might plummet to 102,328 vs the MAC lambs if not for poor, exploited, misunderstood TPeezy..

BTW - u got any linkalicious goodness for us?
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:03 pm

My fault. tpeezy2's swag is 'pure', not fresh. I get my shit twisted sometimes.

Terrelle Pryor
@TPeezy2 A different Time zone!!!
Staying fresh iz how i live!!! Haterz try copying Swagg so laugh with it!!! Watered Down my swag iz Pure!!

Oh... you meant on Tress?

http://www.freep.com/article/20110325/S ... -s-adviser

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footba ... -to-resign

The Columbus Dispatch is reporting that Tressel forwarded e-mails containing information that players were selling merchandise to a local tattoo parlor owner who was under federal investigation– therefore rendering players ineligible for the 2010 season – to the mentor of one of the players in question.

Multiple sources told the Dispatch that Ted Sarniak, a mentor to star quarterback Terrelle Pryor, received the e-mails from Tressel – even though Tressel failed to show the e-mails to his superiors at Ohio State for, he said, fear of endangering the “confidentiality” of a federal investigation.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footba ... z1HdxhOY00

jb wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Stop picking on TPeezy2. he's just a kid. When you were 21 like you knew the difference between right and wrong and breaking well understood rules that put a whole lot of other people's livlihoods and careers at risk and like you didn't act like an entitled dooshnozzle 24 / 7. C'mon Brian, cut him some slck already. Think of all the money he's made tOSU program an dhow he's exploited. Why, if they didn't have TPezy2 they probably draw .5 less paying customers at home per game over the course of 3 seasons. Attendance might plummet to 102,328 vs the MAC lambs if not for poor, exploited, misunderstood TPeezy..

BTW - u got any linkalicious goodness for us?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena