Text Size

College Sports Arena

Tress was a Bad Bad Boy

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Tress was a Bad Bad Boy

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:52 am

Dan's article on the mess: http://bit.ly/i8Zlc9
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:21 am

O H LIE O

Good article by Dan.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby jb » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:27 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Because this whole thing is stupid and a waste of time.

I'm going to test my man CDT here: If you were in a room with a rattlesnake and you closed your eyes and just kept repeating, "Everything is okay, everything is okay" would that make the rattlesnake disappear?

/Jeopardy theme

And i'm going to put you in a room with a molehill and see how it takes to turn into a moutain.

How many moles, and how much time?

And peeker, pretty sure TPeezy has a single room and doesn't bunk with the coach.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:34 am

mattvan1 wrote:BTW, do I take this book off of my kid's shelf?

Yeah. replace it with the Depech Mode DC that contains "The Policy of Truth".

Tress looks like a complete buffoon for having this out now.
jb

Re: Larry King Dawg Checking In...

Unread postby jb » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:41 am

gnati wrote:While flipping the finger at the man and eating leftover donuts a day late...which is what this post is...

I consider myself to be a cynical bastard, but damn if I didn't see this one coming...I watched the presser and actually found myself sort of calm, thinking, yeah that was a tough situation he was in, not sure it was the best response but damn that was tough...then I read the emails...epic fail...I don't see how he recovers from this, others yeah, but the very core of his "brand" has just been plunger raped...I don't think or necessarily want him to be fired, but I actually wouldn't mind if he came back later this week and said on reflection I screwed the pooch and the "message" I have sought to deliver will no longer be taken seriously because the messenger experienced self inflicted wounds that will no longer allow it to carry on....Gee can hire him as some sort of University ambassador because after taking that sword his rep get fixed, so to speak...and the program moves forward with the barnacles that will continue to collect as everything they do gets examined at much closer levels...all of that being said, I firmly believe every revenue sport at every college engages in cheating of some sort - the only difference is degree and intent...I always took Tressel for the type of guy who might look the other way, might not ask the tough question - which is consistent with what he did, up until December when he went all in...I do sort of laugh at those who thought he was above the fray, I mean to think that he was clean would dictate that you employ the Lance Armstrong view of sports...not only is Tressel so awesome that he can win when others can't...but he does it by not cheating when everyone else does...sorry, that is some mental gymnastics I ain't able to comprehend...oh, and ap-rah-po of nothing, I have a feeling that if TP was from Iggy and not western PA...well, Nasdaq might think differently...I'm just saying...

Was wondering if you'd drive by. Wish you would more.

Quick retorts:

- The day a mental midget like TPeezy would grace the arch that reads "St Ignatius College" is the day the Buckeyes play to an empty horseshoe. I judge him by who and what he is.

- way to bring in an Abner Luima reference. Just don't see many of those since the 90's. Ur getting old, BH.
jb

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:41 am

Maybe I missed it the first time through, but I thought it was said Tress reported this to tOSU after the Sugar Bowl on his own.

Now I see the lawyers actually "found" them looking for other stuff.

Wonder how AD Smith feels knowing his coach does not trust him to pass along this type of info and get his opinion on the right course of action.

Also, I still have not heard what it was that tipped of tOSU to increase their teachings on compliance back in November, 6 months before Tress was alerted to potential violations. Is it another occurrence? Has to be something totally unrelated, right?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jb » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:43 am

Ziner wrote:This is where I stand on the whole thing as well. I am not a Buckeye honk by any stretch, but I just don't really give a shit about any of this because the entire thing stems from something that I think is stupid.

Which is why you supported Bubba through the impeachment, right? ;-)
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:54 am

pup wrote:Maybe I missed it the first time through, but I thought it was said Tress reported this to tOSU after the Sugar Bowl on his own.

Now I see the lawyers actually "found" them looking for other stuff.

Wonder how AD Smith feels knowing his coach does not trust him to pass along this type of info and get his opinion on the right course of action.

Also, I still have not heard what it was that tipped of tOSU to increase their teachings on compliance back in November, 6 months before Tress was alerted to potential violations. Is it another occurrence? Has to be something totally unrelated, right?

The whole thing stinks.

I still believe Tressel reported it to Smith but late. Like after Buckeyes were 6-0 or 7-0 late when the heat was getting turned up.

Smith was like, "Shit, we have a title shot.....shhhhh".

Then they lose to Wiscy, December comes, shit hits the fan, staff realizes that there are footprints, agree that Tress will fall on sword, say he was wrong, keep Smith and program as clean as they now can and keep Tressel with job in return. That's when they suddenly decide to raid Dduley Do-Wright's email account to look for a needle in the haystack and, surprise-surprise, they find something.

I don't know if that all makes sense or fits but overall it's how it feels to me.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:56 am

jb wrote:How many moles, and how much time?

And peeker, pretty sure TPeezy has a single room and doesn't bunk with the coach.

6 moles, 4 days, 17 hours, and 49 minutes.

Lemme guess, your an expert on moles too..... ammi rght?

...and CDT likely doesn't have a career, that's why he fails to understand e0's point

Fuck you, old man. I got a career, and I try to do unethical things at least 3 times a week. I understood his point, I just enjoy fucking with him because he doesn't go all sensi on me.

jb wrote:
Ziner wrote:This is where I stand on the whole thing as well. I am not a Buckeye honk by any stretch, but I just don't really give a shit about any of this because the entire thing stems from something that I think is stupid.

Ok. That's a good one.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jb » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:59 am

No, I don't know moles. Not even shrews. I am fairly ignorant when it comes to all burrowing small mammels, and small mammels in general. I don't experiment with gerbils, neither. (There's your 6 degrees of speration OSU FB tie )

Now pizza? I know pizza.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:02 am

jb wrote:No, I don't know moles. Not even shrews. I am fairly ignorant when it comes to all burrowing small mammels, and small mammels in general. I don't experiment with gerbils, neither. (There's your 6 degrees of speration OSU FB tie )

Now pizza? I know pizza.

Aquatic rodents aren't allowed inside the city limits.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:14 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
jb wrote:No, I don't know moles. Not even shrews. I am fairly ignorant when it comes to all burrowing small mammels, and small mammels in general. I don't experiment with gerbils, neither. (There's your 6 degrees of speration OSU FB tie )

Now pizza? I know pizza.

Aquatic rodents aren't allowed inside the city limits.

What are you, a fuckin' park ranger?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:19 am

One thing I've seen brought up repeatedly is the fact that Tressel is in breech of contract and should therefore be fired. That Tressel can be fired is not in dispute. But it seems like a lot of people are assuming that just because he can be fired, he is some how being let off the hook if he is not. I don't get that. There are appropriate punishments other than firing.

Just because he can be fired doesn't necessarily mean that he should be fired. I'm often amazed at how nonchalantly people call for the termination of someone else's employment. As if it's no big deal.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:20 am

jb wrote:

I was 16, all I gave a shit about was driving and feeling boobs, so in a way I suppose I probably had compassion for him
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:22 am

motherscratcher wrote:Just because he can be fired doesn't necessarily mean that he should be fired. I'm often amazed at how nonchalantly people call for the termination of someone else's employment. As if it's no big deal.

Just don't take away his collective bargaining or people will go ape shit.

Oh and I am nonchalantly calling for every politician federal and state to lose their job. It's easy and fun
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:24 am

motherscratcher wrote:One thing I've seen brought up repeatedly is the fact that Tressel is in breech of contract and should therefore be fired. That Tressel can be fired is not in dispute. But it seems like a lot of people are assuming that just because he can be fired, he is some how being let off the hook if he is not. I don't get that. There are appropriate punishments other than firing.

Just because he can be fired doesn't necessarily mean that he should be fired. I'm often amazed at how nonchalantly people call for the termination of someone else's employment. As if it's no big deal.

Especially if he actually told his AD before the whole thing went Chernobyl.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:44 am

2 FWIWs:

1) I am closest to Peeks reading on the situation, just makes the most sense and ties the closest to what we read. That said who knows and it doesn't really matter

2) I'm not calling for Tress to be fired per say, more so pissed about being duped by Dudly Do Right for the last 20 years.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:49 am

pup wrote:Also, I still have not heard what it was that tipped of tOSU to increase their teachings on compliance back in November, 6 months before Tress was alerted to potential violations. Is it another occurrence? Has to be something totally unrelated, right?

I remain curious about this too, pup. It has not been explained.

Peeks, the self-report letter of March 8 (pdf linked in my article) does a pretty good job of laying out the timeline. Even after the Sugar Bowl and the Dec, 2010 player suspensions, Tressel didn't come clean. At that point he had to figure his prior knowledge might just slip under the radar.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:51 am

e0y2e3 wrote:2 FWIWs:

1) I am closest to Peeks reading on the situation, just makes the most sense and ties the closest to what we read. That said who knows and it doesn't really matter

2) I'm not calling for Tress to be fired per say, more so pissed about being duped by Dudly Do Right for the last 20 years.

I agree that Peek's interpretation makes a lot of sense. But, we will know who killed Kennedy before we ever know for sure what actually happened here.

Why do you feel duped? I mean, why is it easier to assume that Tressel is a bad guy who's honorability/good deeds whatever is just a front? It's it just as easy, easier in fact, to assume that Tressel is a good dude who the vast majority of the time tries to do the right thing and just epically fucked up this time?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:00 pm

danwismar wrote:
pup wrote:Also, I still have not heard what it was that tipped of tOSU to increase their teachings on compliance back in November, 6 months before Tress was alerted to potential violations. Is it another occurrence? Has to be something totally unrelated, right?

I remain curious about this too, pup. It has not been explained.

Peeks, the self-report letter of March 8 (pdf linked in my article) does a pretty good job of laying out the timeline. Even after the Sugar Bowl and the Dec, 2010 player suspensions, Tressel didn't come clean. At that point he had to figure his prior knowledge might just slip under the radar.

Yeah...trying to keep it all in mind and refer back to it. Anyone know if email account searches are the norm or an annual and scheduled event for all staff?

Tell me the timing doesn't seem strange.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby waborat » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:03 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
I'm often amazed at how nonchalantly people call for the termination of someone else's employment. As if it's no big deal.

Sure wish the Mickey D's in Chardon would fire the line goobs...

My bagel comes burnt every morn
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:04 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

I agree that Peek's interpretation makes a lot of sense. But, we will know who killed Kennedy before we ever know for sure what actually happened here.

Why do you feel duped? I mean, why is it easier to assume that Tressel is a bad guy who's honorability/good deeds whatever is just a front? It's it just as easy, easier in fact, to assume that Tressel is a good dude who the vast majority of the time tries to do the right thing and just epically fucked up this time?

Because it isn't the first time?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:07 pm

pup wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

Because it isn't the first time?

I've heard of a similar transgression at YSU alluded to but am unfamiliar with it. Any details on this or other transgressions?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:10 pm

YSU put on probation as Tress left. QB making more than QB coach or something like that.

There is another rumor out there, that I will admit I have not seen proof of that there was an incident where someone tipped of Tressel that someone was up to no good. He did nothing and that player was later proven to be up to that exact no good. Awful sketchy rumor at this point, but in light of current situation it sounds at least plausible.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:49 pm

jb wrote:No, I don't know moles. Not even shrews. I am fairly ignorant when it comes to all burrowing small mammels, and small mammels in general. I don't experiment with gerbils, neither.

Has gone Snipe Hunting more than once ^^^^^^^^^^
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:05 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I've heard of a similar transgression at YSU alluded to but am unfamiliar with it. Any details on this or other transgressions?

Here's a pretty thorough treatment of the YSU situation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1920867
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:10 pm

peeker643 wrote:Tell me the timing doesn't seem strange.

Again, I refer you to the self-report letter of March 8, in which the timing is explained. This was not a "routine" email review. This was discovered in the course of a separate investigation, as I understand it.

danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:47 pm

danwismar wrote:

Again, I refer you to the self-report letter of March 8, in which the timing is explained. This was not a "routine" email review. This was discovered in the course of a separate investigation, as I understand it.

And again, I tell you I think it's strange and coincidental that this occurred (and I quote from that report) "while reviewing information on an unrelated legal issue".

What a fortuitous break that they happened to come across one of these emails while looking at something else (that they don't discuss further from what I can tell).

Look, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But this whole thing is flimsy in that regard.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:11 pm

pup wrote:YSU put on probation as Tress left. QB making more than QB coach or something like that.

There is another rumor out there, that I will admit I have not seen proof of that there was an incident where someone tipped of Tressel that someone was up to no good. He did nothing and that player was later proven to be up to that exact no good. Awful sketchy rumor at this point, but in light of current situation it sounds at least plausible.

SD:

Just because a booster pays a kid $10.000.00 alledgedly is that Tressels Fault ?

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:20 pm

peeker643 wrote:
danwismar wrote:

And again, I tell you I think it's strange and coincidental that this occurred (and I quote from that report) "while reviewing information on an unrelated legal issue".

What a fortuitous break that they happened to come across one of these emails while looking at something else (that they don't discuss further from what I can tell).

Look, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But this whole thing is flimsy in that regard.

SD:

Peeks let me know when you find evidence these guys were trying to take over Cuba ,
other than that , didn't the Big ten net $15,000,00 from the BCS Championship format and tOSU receive additiional ancillary considerations directly from the Sugar Bowl .

and

Were supposed to raise pitchforks and make nooses when the kids who produced all that extra income get skewered because they receive so little from the NCAA coffers they fill ,they're forced to sell their memberorbilla (sp).

Let alone hang Tressel for doing something Woody hayes wouldn't of had to bother with , because that parlor would have been burned down in his day along with the Fuck heads who ran it.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:41 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:SD:

Just because a booster pays a kid $10.000.00 alledgedly is that Tressels Fault ?

SoulDawg

Mickey Monus, the Phar-Mor millionaire, strikes me as a small time Bobby Lowder of Youngstown. A member of the university board, overzealous booster, and obviously both a benefactor and a problem child for the program. I guess you have to be pretty credulous to think that when Tressel sent his QB Issac to meet Monus, it was simply because he wanted Monus to arrange for the kid to have a job. It's a stretch, for sure. A touch of willful blindness. It would be so satisfying if this sport we love were pristine.

The fact that this occurred on JT's watch is, for some people, apparently strike one and strike two against Tressel. YMMV. As I said upthread, there was never any kind of coverup even hinted at in either the Troy Smith episode of the Clarett hijinx. Both were caught and punished in short order, Clarett expelled.

Summing up the position of the "off with his head" crowd...."how dare this man besmirch the reputation and integrity of the university whose football games I watch on TV in the fall?"

danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:50 pm

I agree on all that. What the kids did was stupid but happens everyday.

I'm not even talking about the kids and what they did.

I'm saying the administration hung out their coach because they could and because he effed up and sat on the fact that he knew at least two names before spring practices even started.

Ideally Tress gets that email and tells Smith. They sit down with the players and suspend them from spring practice or something to that effect. Maybe even hard line it and suspend them for first two games on schedule.

They inform the NCAA of their diligence and heroics and the shit likely ends there.

Didn't happen. Tress sits on it but not through the end of the year (*opinion). Smith and Archie know what went down. After the bowl game "while reviewing information on an unrelated legal issue" (cough/bullshit) they find the emails and then tear through all of them.

And they also find not one other single soul in the athletic department/football program knows a thing about this.

Mmmmm...okay. What a lonely life Tressel lives. Not even a "Hey, I got a letter from Cicero the other day......"

Tressel is playing stupid and ignorant when he's not and the administration is playing shocked and outraged when they are not.

Now, I know almost all football factory schools like OSU will have some element of cheating/head turning going on. I just thought the guys in charge of it at OSU were a little bit smarter than that and a little bit more respectful of us than to feed us this shit and hope it'll be swallowed with a smile.

The NCAA ain't dumb either. Thank Christ they're in on the scamming from jump given that all that matters is cash and a the illusion of fairness, equity and a concern for student-athletes.

ETA- I'm not anywhere near the 'off with his head" crowd or sentiment. I just find this whole story incredulous. I'm not buying a big part of it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:59 pm

danwismar wrote:

SoulDawg

Mickey Monus, the Phar-Mor millionaire, strikes me as a small time Bobby Lowder of Youngstown. A member of the university board, overzealous booster, and obviously both a benefactor and a problem child for the program. I guess you have to be pretty credulous to think that when Tressel sent his QB Issac to meet Monus, it was simply because he wanted Monus to arrange for the kid to have a job. It's a stretch, for sure. A touch of willful blindness. It would be so satisfying if this sport we love were pristine.

The fact that this occurred on JT's watch is, for some people, apparently strike one and strike two against Tressel. YMMV. As I said upthread, there was never any kind of coverup even hinted at in either the Troy Smith episode of the Clarett hijinx. Both were caught and punished in short order, Clarett expelled.

Summing up the position of the "off with his head" crowd...."how dare this man besmirch the reputation and integrity of the university whose football games I watch on TV in the fall?"

Who's that guy in Columbus Dan? There is probably more than just one, but are those guys relatively conspicuous and known?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:08 pm

danwismar wrote:

SoulDawg

How dare this man sit around and preach all that he does, while sitting on a time bomb because he has a chance to win another national title. And taking the chance that when the detonator goes off, the near future of the "university whose football games I watch on TV in the fall" is compromised.

How dare this man sit in judgement of mistakes by others, while hiding his own mistakes.

How dare this man talk about all the positive virtues he extols on the young men under his watch, while his skeletons continue to pile up.

Trips to the hospital : Tressel :: Boys and Girls Club of America : LBJ

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby General » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:20 pm

Not sure if this is upthread, but I am not going to read 6 pages of insane ramblings, so here is mine. Why don't they just pay these "scholar-athletes" like $80K per year, eliminate scholarships, make them take 10 credit hours per semester (or quarter) until the real students of their class graduate and remove all marketing restrictions from them as they embark on their careers. This would end the insane and futile attempt to police theseinequities and stop the hypocrisy. If your going to bash it please don't get tied up in the numbers, as I just through them out there. :hide:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:23 pm

More manuevering from OSU?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6201208

"This letter will review the institution's inquiry and also define the corrective and punitive actions, which include suspending him from coaching several games during the 2011 football season, reducing his salary, and precluding Coach Tressel from having any involvement with spring practice or summer camps in 2011."

But in an e-mail to ESPN.com Thursday morning, athletic department spokeswoman Shelly Poe said Tressel would participate in spring practice and summer camps, pending the NCAA's decision on the case.

Poe said the paragraph outlining Tressel's punishment in the original self-report "outlined the scope of options that Ohio State considered but the specific sanctions are the ones outlined."

An updated NCAA self-report was published on Ohio State's website Thursday morning. The paragraph referenced above was edited to:

"This letter will review the institution's inquiry and also detail the corrective and punitive actions, which include suspending him from coaching two games during the 2011 football season and reducing his salary."

The copy from our thread states: "This letter will review the institution'sinquiry and also detail these corrective and punitive actions, which include......precluding Coach Tressel from having any involvement with spring practices or summer camps in 2011."

That didn't "outline options". It listed the punitive measures to be taken.

Not picking nits, but I have to say again this is sloppy and sets the 'institution' up for questioning and potential ridicule when various copies of this document are in circulation and one of the considered responses/punitive measures is stricken. It shouldn't have been included or it should have been implemented. One or the other.

What a clusterfuck this whole thing is.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:33 pm

Not sure, Peeks. Nobody conspicuous that I'm aware of, outside of a car dealer or two ...not sure which one(s)...that gave loaners to Clarett back in the day...and/or to Pryor more recently(?)...an act which pushes up against the limits of propriety, but apparently doesn't violate them.

It may be naive of me, but having been in and around the OSU media corps for the last two years, I think I would have heard at least some whispers in that crowd of payments or inappropriate benefits to OSU players if they existed. I haven't...which is not to say they don't.

In a recent column, I linked to several articles about the increasing prevalence of "street agents" being used to steer recruits to certain programs (see Oregon's recent troubles), a practice refined to an art form, so they say, in the SEC. Over the last few years a couple of players have committed to OSU and then at the last minute inexplicably defected to another program...the best example of this was Stanley McGlover a DE/LB who had committed to OSU (2003?) and then at crunch time decided on Auburn. McGlover was reportedly ready a few weeks ago to appear on Bryant Gumbel's HBO show to spill beans about his recruitment in a story they were doing about street agents. Something happened to change his mind about going on the show, from what I understand, but the incident pointed up that some programs are willing to do certain things that OSU has been unwilling to do, and OSU has lost some good recruits because of it.

Just to show that OSU is not immune from the influence of overzealous boosters though, is another story of a big OT from North Carolina (whose name escapes me at the moment..Derek something...approx 2006-07?) whose father had his hand out and there were rumors that some OSU booster had arranged to make some kind of payment to him. The kid never did commit or enroll at OSU...the father was said to have ticked off JT...but the rumors of an "arrangement" with the family have persisted since. It's not insignificant that whatever arrangement was discussed came from outside the program however...nor is it insignificant that it never actually happened...possibly due to JT nixing it. Not clear on that, nor do I have any idea who that booster may have been.

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:39 pm

pup wrote:
How dare this man sit around and preach all that he does, while sitting on a time bomb because he has a chance to win another national title. And taking the chance that when the detonator goes off, the near future of the "university whose football games I watch on TV in the fall" is compromised.

How dare this man sit in judgement of mistakes by others, while hiding his own mistakes.

How dare this man talk about all the positive virtues he extols on the young men under his watch, while his skeletons continue to pile up.

Trips to the hospital : Tressel :: Boys and Girls Club of America : LBJ

Good points. His rep is forever tarnished, as I have said repeatedly.

But it's amusing that some people (not you, pup) take the position that they are now embarrassed at having been "duped" for the last 20 years by this man, who they now write off as an irredeemable liar, poseur, fraud and hypocrite...as if this incident undoes everything the man has done in his career.

It doesn't...at least not to me.

danwismar

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:42 pm

His past track record and rep most certainly allow for the BOD on any other speculation regarding violations and significant illegal activity, as it should for anyone with such a long history of integrity.

Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:54 pm

FUDU wrote:His past track record and rep most certainly allow for the BOD on any other speculation regarding violations and significant illegal activity, as it should for anyone with such a long history of integrity.

What's BOD? Do you mean BOTD? Or, more accurately, BotD.

And what's the significance of the fish? Seems like any creature could be jumping and 'Conclusions' could be painted/typed where they were to land.

I don't get it. I mean, you picked the least likely of all creatures. Is that what you meant to symbolize?

Shouldn't you be focusing on your Strato team? Solve a problem you can control.

:hide:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:04 pm

Benefit of the doubt, you're right BotD would be better, since when did you get all hip on anagram's?

I thought the picture was kind of cute in regards to all the talk about his, not singling out anyone in this thread just all the talk in general. People are almost fishing for reasons now to completely discredit JT's past, and their jumping to conclusions in doing so. So yeah I thought the jpg was rather appropriate.

As far as that other thing, the next time you play me it will be single elimination, so pack light.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:13 pm

FUDU wrote:Benefit of the doubt, you're right BotD would be better, since when did you get all hip on anagram's?

I thought the picture was kind of cute in regards to all the talk about his, not singling out anyone in this thread just all the talk in general. People are almost fishing for reasons now to completely discredit JT's past, and their jumping to conclusions in doing so. So yeah I thought the jpg was rather appropriate.

As far as that other thing, the next time you play me it will be single elimination, so pack light.

Dude, Jim Tressel could still babysit my daughters and coach my sons (if I had any).

Doesn't take anything away from JT the man IMO and AFAIC. But it does strip the veneer nationally of how he's perceived and no amount of complaining about that is going to change it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby gnati » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:38 pm

Was wondering if you'd drive by. Wish you would more.

OK then....

after sleeping on it a day, I am more pissed then yesterday. to paraphrase herb brooks (how is that for old school?) I am getting more pissed each day and right now it feels like the middle of next week...

So right now I am of the mind that unless:

1) There was some sort of explicit or implicit head nod from the feds that he couldn't act on the info in some way shape or form

or

2) He did forward it to (perhaps) legal and they advised him to keep quiet - for whatever reason...

or some variation of outside mitigating circumstances that a reasonable person could see there is a legit reason to feel conflicted in some way and make the decision he made given the hand he was dealt....

Short of that...

I see no reason he should keep his job. If this was a unilateral decision based on the facts that we currently understand and he just screwed the pooch and decided to keep it to himself, play the guys he knew/should have known would be ineligible, decided not to go forward with it during the investigation in December...basically the facts as we think we know them now...

Dude should be fired or resign...or if possible both (after being beaten with a wet noodle)

- way to bring in an Abner Luima reference. Just don't see many of those since the 90's. Ur getting old, BH.

the bitch of it all is it seems to only be happening to me.
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:14 pm

Very interesting and detailed Dispatch article from 2009 listing OSU violations along with much other info. They have more violations than any other school, but as the article explains, it's because a)they maintain a culture of self-reporting and b) they have more sports than most schools. Lots of good stuff here...

http://bit.ly/b040Ve

Peeks, the player from NC I was thinking about earlier (though I was way off on the dates...it was 2002), was Derek Morris, and his whole story is included at the link.

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:44 pm

gnati wrote:OK then....

after sleeping on it a day, I am more pissed then yesterday. to paraphrase herb brooks (how is that for old school?) I am getting more pissed each day and right now it feels like the middle of next week...

So right now I am of the mind that unless:

1) There was some sort of explicit or implicit head nod from the feds that he couldn't act on the info in some way shape or form

or

2) He did forward it to (perhaps) legal and they advised him to keep quiet - for whatever reason...

or some variation of outside mitigating circumstances that a reasonable person could see there is a legit reason to feel conflicted in some way and make the decision he made given the hand he was dealt....

Short of that...

I see no reason he should keep his job. If this was a unilateral decision based on the facts that we currently understand and he just screwed the pooch and decided to keep it to himself, play the guys he knew/should have known would be ineligible, decided not to go forward with it during the investigation in December...basically the facts as we think we know them now...

Dude should be fired or resign...or if possible both (after being beaten with a wet noodle)

the bitch of it all is it seems to only be happening to me.

I've talked and emailed with a bunch of serious OSU fans today...including half a dozen strangers who emailed on my article, and what I keep hearing from them is disappointment that the school wasn't tougher on JT, and much more serious, contrite and on topic at their press conference. Can't disagree at all.

One common suggestion was a full year suspension without pay for Tressel. These people love the guy, but they also love the school's integrity, and they wish OSU people had taken the initiative to preempt the NCAA action with some more serious action of their own. Again, hard to disagree.

danwismar

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:45 pm

danwismar wrote:Very interesting and detailed Dispatch article from 2009 listing OSU violations along with much other info. They have more violations than any other school, but as the article explains, it's because a)they maintain a culture of self-reporting and b) they have more sports than most schools. Lots of good stuff here...

http://bit.ly/b040Ve

Peeks, the player from NC I was thinking about earlier (though I was way off on the dates...it was 2002), was Derek Morris, and his whole story is included at the link.

Yeah, I actually remember that guy. I remember being disappointed we didn't get him. I never knew why.

I consoled myself that we did land the one and only Mike D'Andrea, the greatest LB prospect in the history of the world, at least it seemed like at the time.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:23 pm

danwismar wrote:...and what I keep hearing from them is disappointment that the school wasn't tougher on JT, and much more serious, contrite and on topic at their press conference. Can't disagree at all.

One common suggestion was a full year suspension without pay for Tressel. These people love the guy, but they also love the school's integrity, and they wish OSU people had taken the initiative to preempt the NCAA action with some more serious action of their own. Again, hard to disagree.

FTR, this is exactly where I am. I am also really pissed.

Just so I am not mistaken with those who feel "duped" or are "embarassed" or who will "write <him> off as an irredeemable liar"
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:22 am

Geezes christ this thread is gross.........

Mo-Clar's cousin played with me know. Know the family and all that shit well.... don't mean a thing,

And now I get Mickey Monus being rolled around?

I'll show you Ed Muransky's dick before any of ya'll have a clue a bout Y-town.

Don't talk about what you don't know.

Dan a shill but ya'll blood thirsty.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby pup » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:48 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Geezes christ this thread is gross.........

Mo-Clar's cousin played with me know. Know the family and all that shit well.... don't mean a thing,

And now I get Mickey Monus being rolled around?

I'll show you Ed Muransky's dick before any of ya'll have a clue a bout Y-town.

Don't talk about what you don't know.

Dan a shill but ya'll blood thirsty.

Second time this morning I am reading a post about you and dicks. Must have been a tough Thursday up in the northeast. You have a weekend off work, go get laid bro.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby pup » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:50 am

danwismar wrote:
I've talked and emailed with a bunch of serious OSU fans today...including half a dozen strangers who emailed on my article, and what I keep hearing from them is disappointment that the school wasn't tougher on JT, and much more serious, contrite and on topic at their press conference. Can't disagree at all.

Since they e-mailed you they care more than someone who just watches them on Saturday? :spar:

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena