Text Size

College Sports Arena

Tress was a Bad Bad Boy

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Tress was a Bad Bad Boy

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:35 pm

paratiger wrote:What the hell are you thinking?

Another thing that got me about Dan is that he went to a Rival website and got his information to post about Auburn. A RIVAL? Thats how you formulate most of your opinion?

When this came up I came here. I haven't even read the Yahoo story (Yet). The message boards of the program in question will have the most information regarding the situation (disregarding the "Fan-atic opinions). So I came here first to see what ya'll had to say. I first heard of the situation from Mike and Mike.

Do you think the NCAA will come back? 1 colonoscopy is enough I would think.

You saw the article, paratiger, and you know damn well I didn't have to rely on tigerdroppings.com for the vast majority of the information I assembled there. It's all in the public domain. I cited the new York Times, Forbes magazine, many many Alabama newspaper websites, and dozens of other sources besides the LSU fan site. So get real, sir.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:36 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
FUDU wrote:Somebody mind giving me clarification on this issue, is the ongoing investigation and surrounding buzz all still about the actions of the handful of athletes in regards to memorabilia sales, tattoo shop (and whatever else they did)?

Sorta, now it's about the JFK like lengths Tress went to cover up this horrible story of kids selling stuff for money.

Bastards! What cold hearted fools they be!

I think it's more like the priest raping the altar boy after his fiery sermon about controlling your urges, but whatever. :spar:

lol. What a fag!

Tress is "firey" oh you jest.

Now dance for me, dance like your life depends on it..... just for me.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:38 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Because this whole thing is stupid and a waste of time.

I'm going to test my man CDT here: If you were in a room with a rattlesnake and you closed your eyes and just kept repeating, "Everything is okay, everything is okay" would that make the rattlesnake disappear?

/Jeopardy theme
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:38 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:My point is dan you are throwing shit at a wall consistently throughout this thread and all of it has a distinctly pro OSU outcome. Thus far that random speculation shit (you should read what IMO means) is 0-1.

I mean if you want to keep spinning speculation to sleep at night be my guest.

I object to being misquoted, which causes what I really said to be distorted. When you do that, you sir are the one "spinning".
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:38 pm

While dan keeps holding up and pointing to Gee saying they have been working with the NCAA for over a month I have read at least three places that OSU faxed over a self-revelation report yesterday.

I honestly have no idea where this goes. I think public opinion is going to play a big role (because to be honest, what Tress did is a happens everywhere thing, we just are the ones that got busted). I'm just going for the ride at this point.

The fact comes down to this (which I posted upthread):

If Tress falls on the sword and says he didn't inform the university he technically is in breach of contract and should be fired (although he won't be). <- again this is technically

If the Program falls on the sword we're real fucked next year.

Tress is taking the sword, where that goes is anyone's guess.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:41 pm

peeker643 wrote:

I'm going to test my man CDT here: If you were in a room with a rattlesnake and you closed your eyes and just kept repeating, "Everything is okay, everything is okay" would that make the rattlesnake disappear?

/Jeopardy theme

And i'm going to put you in a room with a molehill and see how it takes to turn into a moutain.

Now we got dooshbags babbling about falling on swords and other assorted drama queen nonsense.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:42 pm

I still <3 you CDT, even if you have called me names like three times this week.

You're as special as ever to me.

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:44 pm

Oh and while the rapist priest analogy isn't as dirty as Peeks and my gram was a whore analogy from the LBJ thing it is just as spot on.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:44 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I still <3 you CDT, even if you have called me names like three times this week.

You're as special as ever to me.

You can call me names too. It is a 2 way street. If I had a nickle for everytime someone here called me a "Kraut", i'd have a shitload of nickles.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:46 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

/Jeopardy theme

And i'm going to put you in a room with a molehill and see how it takes to turn into a moutain.

Now we got dooshbags babbling about falling on swords and other assorted drama queen nonsense.

You know nothing abut molehills, mountains, pizza, walking into a room without ducking or NCAA infractions.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:47 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:While dan keeps holding up and pointing to Gee saying they have been working with the NCAA for over a month I have read at least three places that OSU faxed over a self-revelation report yesterday.

These two things are not mutually exclusive.

If you had read that self-imposition letter, which is available online, you would have seen the details of how OSU initially reported the violation in the first week of February, and how the NCAA investigators were already in OSU's offices interviewing Tressel on this matter by Feb. 8th. (is that a month?)

This is not my "take". It is the fact of the matter, as reported in the press conference last night, and as detailed in yesterday's formal letter to the NCAA, which included the penalties etc. against Tressel.

Seems we agree that Tressel is falling on the sword to save the Athletic Dept a bigger sword fall. He keeps his job as part of the bargain. And we also agree that this thing ain't over.

danwismar

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:47 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
FUDU wrote:Somebody mind giving me clarification on this issue, is the ongoing investigation and surrounding buzz all still about the actions of the handful of athletes in regards to memorabilia sales, tattoo shop (and whatever else they did)?

Sorta, now it's about the JFK like lengths Tress went to cover up this horrible story of kids selling stuff for money.

this sums it up pretty well

http://ht.cdn.turner.com/si/images/2011/03/08/Ohio_State_NCAA.pdf
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:50 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

/Jeopardy theme

You know nothing abut molehills, mountains, pizza, walking into a room without ducking or NCAA infractions.

lol. God I love this site.

I really regret ever saying that line about pizza....
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:51 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Oh and while the rapist priest analogy isn't as dirty as Peeks and my gram was a whore analogy from the LBJ thing it is just as spot on.

Goddamnit.

When people read this in the Library three years from now they're going be sure I was a crying, gay, priest-hating douche who made fun of people's grandmothers.

I never cried.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:52 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Sorry I just do not like PDFs. Making my screen look different and shit. Fuck that noise.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:52 pm

danwismar wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:While dan keeps holding up and pointing to Gee saying they have been working with the NCAA for over a month I have read at least three places that OSU faxed over a self-revelation report yesterday.

These two things are not mutually exclusive.

If you had read that self-imposition letter, which is available online, you would have seen the details of how OSU initially reported the violation in the first week of February, and how the NCAA investigators were already in OSU's offices interviewing Tressel on this matter by Feb. 8th.

This is not my "take". It is the fact of the matter, as reported in the press conference last night, and as detailed in yesterday's formal letter to the NCAA, which included the penalties etc. against Tressel.

Sure and I don't dispute that.

But typically the NCAA does nothing until it has finalized it's research. If OSU is faxing that letter over and the NCAA hasn't yet released a report the investigation is not over, period.

You know, like how it took them 85 years to impose anything on USC? And the fact that they kept needing Wetzel's team to point them in the right direction.

I do agree that in the past OSU has typically been at the forefront on these issues and dealt with them properly. I also think that this situation is far different with the contract, compliance, publicity and everything else issues.

I mean you are essentially saying that the NCAA came in, talked to guys for a month and then patted Gee's ass and told him how to handle the situation.

That just makes no sense to me and EOD is just flinging pro OSU shit at the wall. May end up being right by chance but IMO <- you still don't know what this means~ if you end up right here it is not for the reasons you cite. I can't believe Gordon Gee is giving enough BJs at the NCAA headquarters to have that much influence.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:55 pm

Gawdamnit Peeks - if you move this to The Library that may become my most posted in forum.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:04 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Jesus. If that's you or me we're thrown out of the building without time to clean out our desks.

What was he thinking?

And that's the 'cheerful' version given it came from tOSU.

How the hell does he not go to someone after the December shit so as not to make himself look like.....

Ohhh... I see. ;-) ;) :wink:

CDT might not be far off in the JFK correlation. There may have been fewer parties involved in that than in that little Dallas Dust Up.

Something stinks. But I'm glad I never got into the PR biz. If I'm gonna get slimy I'd rather work on an oil rig.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:05 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Gawdamnit Peeks - if you move this to The Library that may become my most posted in forum.

I'm gonna suggest Rich make The Library a pay forum. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:06 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I mean you are essentially saying that the NCAA came in, talked to guys for a month and then patted Gee's ass and told him how to handle the situation.

Uh...no...what I'm essentially saying is that everything OSU has done on this matter since like January 21, has been done while in consultation with the NCAA. Isn't that much pretty flippin' obvious?

e0y2e3 wrote:I can't believe Gordon Gee is giving enough BJs at the NCAA headquarters to have that much influence.

And you keep confusing Gee with Gene Smith, the AD, who is the one with the NCAA connections.

I've said repeatedly that it is entirely possible the NCAA will follow up with stiffer penalties. What they cannot do is force OSU to fire Tressel.

As I see it the main argument here is between those who think JT should be fired and those who don't think this is necessarily a hanging offense. I guess if I'm not coming out full bore in favor of his termination, that makes me a blinkered honk.

I certainly could understand it if they had decided to terminate him, and I would understand it if they did that sometime in the future based on the seriousness of what he did. That's not the same as saying I favor that course today. I don't.

What a shame if that opinion might influence the thinking of those folks you call the retards that lurk here.

danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:11 pm

peeker643 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Gawdamnit Peeks - if you move this to The Library that may become my most posted in forum.

Fuck you. I'm not paying to re-read the 7-7 game thread.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:13 pm

Dude dan - you have posted these spinny "everything is worked out IMO" things on both sides of this investigations coin.

Since then you have been arguing about quotes and names and defending that. This has nothing to do with should be fired (technically he should be, really I'm not so sure). It has to do with you posting SPECULATION as the site's main Buckeye's writer that this may be some instance of the NCAA breaking the investigation process (which the letter says is ongoing) to pat Gordan Smith in the ass and whisper sweet punishment suggestions in his ear.

How can you not see that as insane?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:20 pm

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:27 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Dude dan - you have posted these spinny "everything is worked out IMO" things on both sides of this investigations coin.

Since then you have been arguing about quotes and names and defending that. This has nothing to do with should be fired (technically he should be, really I'm not so sure). It has to do with you posting SPECULATION as the site's main Buckeye's writer that this may be some instance of the NCAA breaking the investigation process (which the letter says is ongoing) to pat Gordan Smith in the ass and whisper sweet punishment suggestions in his ear.

How can you not see that as insane?

Before the press conference it was all speculation, naturally. I thought that's what message boards were for....opinion....floating ideas...wondering aloud...that sort of thing. Forgive me. Maybe the site's writers should all be banned from the message boards, lest they engage in (gasp!) speculation.

Here's the pdf of the self-report letter, documenting the NCAA in Columbus interviewing Tressel on February 8th, as I said.

http://www.dispatch.com/wwwexportconten ... Report.pdf

I guess Gene Smith must have been bullshitting last night when he thanked the NCAA numerous times for their close cooperation with the OSU investigative team over the last month in getting to the bottom of this case.

I missed the part where I said the investigation was over, but I'm sure you can make some shit up and say I said it.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:30 pm

peeker643 wrote:

aoxo1 wrote:
davemanddd wrote:[2nd and 3rd most talented players on the cavs entire roster in jj hickson and jamario moon

Noted without comment.

^ Actual Library Quote

That's all I got since I can't seem to make dan get the point of spinning because he is program in love and its absurdity versus providing actual analysis
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:30 pm

BTW: when I got arrested I thanked the cops for being gracious the whole way to the cell. What fucking world are you living in dan?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:36 pm

If the season is vacated will I forget the Wisconsin loss?

And I can also see a day where all but a few teams in Div 1 vacate every season as well as their bowl wins and thus Harvard and Yale rise to prominence as football powers once again.

:cheers:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:47 pm

danwismar wrote:
scsecaur wrote:I read the emails that were posted in several places on the internet, and in each case, it looks like Tressel had forwarded the emails from the attorney to Doug Archie, Asst. A.D. and director of Compliance. Looks like Archie should be taking some of the heat on this to me.

Great point....which goes to JB's point about Tressel agreeing to take a mini-fall in order to save the OSU Athletic Dept and its Compliance people a bigger fall.

For example: this is the single dumbest fucking thing ever posted on the internet.

If the dates those were forwarded (which are available in Outlook and have been looked at by the NCAA, as these are Outlook prints obviously) coincided with OSU knowing early the NCAA investigation would be VERY different as would have been the report to Yahoo.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:51 pm

Easy.

Here's another Xanax brownie.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:53 pm

Great day to be off work eh? You guys got a months worth of e0 in like six hours!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Great day to be off work eh? You guys got a months worth of e0 in like six hours!

I guess you could say we are all blessed

In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:37 pm

Here'e my thing, in asking about clarification up thread. (and I apology to any misquotes b/c I have not read this whole thing with great care).

Context is very important in this case, mostly in how JT gets judged and perceived. I think peeker made comments regarding that we seem to have been duped for the past 10 years or that things may have smelled fishy but we were blind to it b/c of the success JT brought to OSU. I disagree on that outlook of JT. Past track record does come into play here (and one could argue it should for the NCAA handing out the punishment, I wouldn't make that argument though). He's never been hit prior to this as reported there has also been a lot of self whistle blowing, but IMO most important is this all was initiated by the actions of the players. While JT is the head/face of OSU football (OSU in general one could say) and while he should have to answer for this to some degree, he cannot be responsible for the actions of all others around him nor should he be for the most part. Plus as JB mentioned it is impossible to be all knowing of the compliance book and be 100% competent to it, only the IRS tax code is more ridiculous. 1000 football players in 10 years is a lot to be on top of, not an excuse but a simple fact of reality. I could see him being over whelmed just enough to make a real bad judgment call with no illegitimate intentions. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it but the Vest actually gambled, sadly ironic.

His violation was not one of intent with regard to gaining a competitive advantage though, like a recruiting violation would be. I know his speech had plenty of ass covering in it but JT was already past the point of needing a conference title, a big win, or a bowl game victory to cement any legacy of success. IOW no way no how this was about ensuring any victories this season, JT's rep could easily withstand the backlash of 0-10 v. SEC., or continued disappointment in the BCS. I think this a distinguishable difference comparing violations that some other HMFIC/programs might have been in the know of.

As for his rep, it will will take a hit for sure, but I disagree it will be real significant. IMO we are the only ones that held him as the gold standard of ethics and any kind of honor code. While I do think the rest of college football nation respects the guy greatly I do not buy that they had him at the top rung of the ladder in terms of honor and integrity. Plus let's be honest, the perception of potential recruits (& parents) and the NCAA's are the only perceptions that make a dent in the real world of this whole thing.

Technically as Lee stated he could be fired, but contracts rarely get fulfilled line by line, so...he won't nor should be IMO. Besides who the hell would take that on that duty.

None of this is to imply JT should get off or be given a lenient slap on the wristeven (big money says Lead & Peeks would be the ones jumping to that conclusion), bottom line is he knowingly violated NCAA rules so he deserves and needs to be held accountable. However like any violation or crime in life it is not unreasonable or unfair to look at the context of this whole thing when handing out the sentence or when judging him from afar.

My bet is they are going to hammer OSU for the sake of making an example, and IMO that is a poor reason to hammer someone (especially considering how intellectually dishonest the NCAA body often is), hammer someone on the merit of the situation first an foremost. IMO games will be forfeited, which is fine, b/c the games were already played and those who watched knows who won which games.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:41 pm

FUDU wrote: Context is very important in this case, mostly in how JT gets judged and perceived. <snip>

As for his rep, it will will take a hit for sure, but I disagree it will be real significant.

Donny, maybe in C-Bus or NEO. As far as the rest of the country it's all ready too late. He's been judged and convicted in the court of public opinion and he will never be able to 100% redeem himself.

One reason I disagree with Dan in that this is the end of the punishment phase. Much more to come - the media will demand it. And the NCAA will bow to the pressure.
mattvan1

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:51 pm

I won't disagree he never fully recovers, who does really? I truly believe only we saw him as Ward Cleaver anyway.

FUDU

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:59 pm

FUDU wrote: I truly believe only we saw him as Ward Cleaver anyway.

I know I did. Stupid and naive, but I wanted to believe.

BTW, do I take this book off of my kid's shelf?

mattvan1

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:05 pm

You're not stupid or naive, he's human. When 99% of what you do is good, ethical and backed with integrity your mistakes should not define you.

FUDU

Larry King Dawg Checking In...

Unread postby gnati » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:23 pm

While flipping the finger at the man and eating leftover donuts a day late...which is what this post is...

I consider myself to be a cynical bastard, but damn if I didn't see this one coming...I watched the presser and actually found myself sort of calm, thinking, yeah that was a tough situation he was in, not sure it was the best response but damn that was tough...then I read the emails...epic fail...I don't see how he recovers from this, others yeah, but the very core of his "brand" has just been plunger raped...I don't think or necessarily want him to be fired, but I actually wouldn't mind if he came back later this week and said on reflection I screwed the pooch and the "message" I have sought to deliver will no longer be taken seriously because the messenger experienced self inflicted wounds that will no longer allow it to carry on....Gee can hire him as some sort of University ambassador because after taking that sword his rep get fixed, so to speak...and the program moves forward with the barnacles that will continue to collect as everything they do gets examined at much closer levels...all of that being said, I firmly believe every revenue sport at every college engages in cheating of some sort - the only difference is degree and intent...I always took Tressel for the type of guy who might look the other way, might not ask the tough question - which is consistent with what he did, up until December when he went all in...I do sort of laugh at those who thought he was above the fray, I mean to think that he was clean would dictate that you employ the Lance Armstrong view of sports...not only is Tressel so awesome that he can win when others can't...but he does it by not cheating when everyone else does...sorry, that is some mental gymnastics I ain't able to comprehend...oh, and ap-rah-po of nothing, I have a feeling that if TP was from Iggy and not western PA...well, Nasdaq might think differently...I'm just saying...
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:26 pm

One reason I disagree with Dan in that this is the end of the punishment phase. Much more to come - the media will demand it. And the NCAA will bow to the pressure.

Pressure? What pressure?

"The media"....... AHAHAHAAHAHHHAHAHA!

Cam Newton just won a NT and the Heisman. They ain't pressurin' shit.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:29 pm

But JB can see western PA from Ytown.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:39 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

Obviously you do.

You teach that kid that you can never make a mistake of any size. And to do so means your rep will crushed for all eternity.

Jim Tressel was infoulable, and he tricked all us all. This was a very heinous act.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:00 pm

Sort of in support of what I said earlier, I just read Marcus Hartman's blog remarks from today, and thought I'd pass them along. (Marcus is one of the OSU beat guys, from Scout/Buckeye Sports Bulletin, and IMO, one of the better ones) Excerpting:
---

I thought a more severe punishment was in the offing after the school passed on a chance to deny the Yahoo! report Monday night then still had nothing to say by the end of the morning Tuesday, but the manner in which things ultimately went down leaves me thinking the worst is probably over.

To those not privy to the inner workings of the NCAA, a two-game suspension, a fine, a public censure and a seminar probably don’t seem like much for Tressel’s leaving his school and his sport’s governing body in the dark about a potentially serious issue, but here’s where it’s important to pay close attention.

Gene Smith is anything but uneducated when it comes to the NCAA. Smith is a former member of the organization’s committee on infractions, so he knows what he’s getting into when he starts gauging penalties.

More over, conducting this investigation in concert with the NCAA, as Ohio State says it did, seems to leave little chance for surprises when the organization reviews the case.

I find it hard to believe Smith would sign off on a report he did not have a very strong belief was going to be met with approval.

---

Notice he didn't suggest the investigation is over, or that the NCAA will definitely not add additional sanctions on the university. Neither did I. This is obviously not dispositive....more of that nasty speculation. Just thought some folks might be interested.

danwismar

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:14 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Obviously you do.

You teach that kid that you can never make a mistake of any size. And to do so means your rep will crushed for all eternity.

Jim Tressel was infoulable, and he tricked all us all. This was a very heinous act.

Sarcasm noted. On a serious note, curious as to why you blow this off as no big deal. Don't want to pick a fight, just wondering. He knowingly violated NCAA rules regarding ethical conduct. The fact that it goes on everywhere should not be an excuse, IMO.

Not ready to run the guy off, but it's kinda a big deal.
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:15 pm

FUDU wrote:Here'e my thing, in asking about clarification up thread. (and I apology to any misquotes b/c I have not read this whole thing with great care).

Context is very important in this case, mostly in how JT gets judged and perceived. I think peeker made comments regarding that we seem to have been duped for the past 10 years or that things may have smelled fishy but we were blind to it b/c of the success JT brought to OSU. I disagree on that outlook of JT.

I don't know if I agree with me Donny. Just thinking out loud.

I do know that the perception of infallibility is gone. I mean, Tressel always had play calling warts with the fanbase but part of the forgiving of that is he was such a do-good, conservative, salt of the earth midwesterner that it was bred into him.

I ain't saying one screw up makes him evil but there's a veneer that gets stripped away that he was Ward Cleaver.

Maybe it's for the best.

But I will tell you the more I read/hear the more I believe there's more to this than we'll get to know.

Part of me believes heavily that Smith and Archie knew of what was going on months ago and played a bad game of Liar's Poker. They lost and only their insider status and that air of infallibility saved their asses this time.

They've played their get out of jail card. They didn't get out free, but they got out cheap if this is all there is (and I'm still doubtful it's all done). Better not be any more skeletons in the Buckeye closet because people are going to open every door.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:23 pm

OK fair enough, figured I was overstating what I perceived as your POV.

My only fear is something significant in the area of competitive advantage gets unfolded, I don't suspect it, but IMO that would be the Queen of Spades in this card game.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:19 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Obviously you do.

Sarcasm noted. On a serious note, curious as to why you blow this off as no big deal. Don't want to pick a fight, just wondering. He knowingly violated NCAA rules regarding ethical conduct. The fact that it goes on everywhere should not be an excuse, IMO.

Not ready to run the guy off, but it's kinda a big deal.

It's not a big deal to me because no one can prove he had dishonest intent. This all stems from kids selling stuff they owned. That doesn't bother me, so this seems like a bunch of asshole media types talking this up like he was plotting murder or some shit..... I think the punishment is fair for the mistake made, if the NCAA said he has to sit the same amount of games as the players, that's fine.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:53 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

It's not a big deal to me because no one can prove he had dishonest intent. This all stems from kids selling stuff they owned. That doesn't bother me, so this seems like a bunch of asshole media types talking this up like he was plotting murder or some shit..... I think the punishment is fair for the mistake made, if the NCAA said he has to sit the same amount of games as the players, that's fine.

Nice post.

This is where I stand on the whole thing as well. I am not a Buckeye honk by any stretch, but I just don't really give a shit about any of this because the entire thing stems from something that I think is stupid. What the players did wasn't point shaving, it was selling things given to them for tats. Is it stupid, yup, end of the world, not to me.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:10 am

And this is where CDT, Zinny and that bitch in the upper deck all prove they have no idea what a breach of contract or an ethical violation in regards to compliance would do to their careers.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Re: Larry King Dawg Checking In...

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:13 am

gnati wrote:While flipping the finger at the man and eating leftover donuts a day late...which is what this post is...I do sort of laugh at those who thought he was above the fray, I mean to think that he was clean would dictate that you employ the Lance Armstrong view of sports...

1) I think Lance Armstrong is an overrate cunt

2) I justified the play calling and the recruiting failures WITH his above the fray game. If that isn't the truth then he has just failed to do anything but bring Ohio talent into a shitty conference and win it.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:22 am

e0y2e3 wrote:And this is where CDT, Zinny and that bitch in the upper deck all prove they have no idea what a breach of contract or an ethical violation in regards to compliance would do to their careers.

Ohhh ok, Master of the contract and ethics universe.

Please tell me, what would it do to my career?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:38 am

mattvan1 wrote:

Is that the book where he's speaks of honesty and values and ethics??

...and CDT likely doesn't have a career, that's why he fails to understand e0's point
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena