Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

30 for 30, what subject would you have wanted to seen...

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

30 for 30, what subject would you have wanted to seen...

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:22 pm

..covered?

Myself, personally from a Cleveland sports fan POV, I would have loved to have seen one dealing with the fall of 1995 for and the impact on the Cleveland sports fan, as it would be interesting to see the range of emotions that occurred during that time period, I mean you have one of the Tribe making it to their first world series since 1954, and then you have "The Move" truly probably the worst moment ever in Cleveland sports history.

Taking off the C-town sports honk glasses, I would love to see a piece covering the replacement player games in the NFL in 1987, perhaps even more of a look at the '87 redskins team that managed to go 3-0 during that time, and had a movie somewhat based off of themselves in "The Replacements".
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: 30 for 30, what subject would you have wanted to seen...

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:24 pm

Bill Walton.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:48 pm

I'd be more spoecific and just focus on the BFWWN vs the NFL and how the fans, not the politicians, got an expansion team back here.

Never happened before nor since in pro sports and there were some straight up characters involved. You can make the case that it was the first grass roots utilization of the internet for average Joes to organize for any cause. In fact, it'd make a hell of a screen play. I nominate John Goodman to play Pablus.

The others I'd like to see is the 2002 Lakers and Kings series and an examination of the 1970's Steelers use of PRDs and other drugs.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:04 pm

If you do a 30 for 30 with local ties, I say you have one on Ted Stepien. In a matter of 3 years he nearly destroyed the Cavs. He did enough that the NBA created a rule named after him. The whole time the guy thought he was doing what was best for the franchise.

I think on a national level you can include the rise and fall of the Montreal Expos.
From being one of the top teams in the early 80's to has beens, to having a great season taken away in '94, to bottom feeders, than off to DC.

Hell, give me insider access to the NY Mets clubhouse in '86. That'd be must see tv.

The Pittsburgh drug trials in '85.
Look at the list of players called before the grand jury
Dale Berra, Lee Lacy, Lee Mazzilli, John Milner, Dave Parker,Rod Scurry, Willie Mays Aikens, Vida Blue, Enos Cabell, Keith Hernandez, Jeffrey Leonard, Tim Raines, and Lonnie Smith.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:43 pm

The story of the 96-98 Detroit Red Wings and this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/ ... id=4133702

It has been nearly a dozen years since Konstantinov, at the peak of his career, and two other members of the Detroit Red Wings family were involved in a horrific limousine crash. Eleven years since the Red Wings preserved his locker and made "Believe" their mantra. Eleven years since they pushed his wheelchair onto the ice and Steve Yzerman dropped the 1998 Stanley Cup into his lap.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:26 pm

"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Squints » Sun May 02, 2010 9:46 pm

The 1980 Summer Olympic boycott- too young to remember and haven't seen or read anything about it. Get in to the Cold War political perspective, back track to the '80 Winter Olympics and forward to the counter-boycott of the '84 Olympics. That is the first Olympics that I remember and got the false sense of athletic superiority of the USA due to the absence of the Eastern Bloc.

Coming up on a 30:30 is the LA Raiders and their connection with the rap music of the '80s. Saw that in a recent issue of SI. Should be very interesting. Do like your idea of the '87 players strike. Replacement players and so many crossing the picket line- it seemed like the Browns had half their starters back by that third game against Cincinnati. Three favorite so far- The U, the USFL and Reggie Miller (Hank Gathers close behind).

As an aside, I do believe the people at HBO are waiting for LeBron to deliver a title and then will unleash a documentary on the TCE.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Mon May 03, 2010 7:26 pm

The meteoric rise of and I'm not sure if he was in an AAU league, but one of the first AAU-esque junior high phenoms before the internet, Damon Bailey, and his possibly even faster fall off the face of the earth.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Here's another one from the hockey world. Bryan Fogarty.

Virginia Fogarty walked slowly toward her son's coffin. There lay Bryan, her youngest. The tie -- the one she had picked out for him -- fit snugly around his massive neck. Big fella, she thought. A big fella from the day he was born. She was still numb. When the funeral director offered Mrs. Fogarty an hour with her son, alone, she simply nodded.

Right from Day One, everyone knew. He was a star. From the time he put skates on, he was better than everyone else. We had seen Wayne. Wayne had to work at it. His game was outsmarting everybody else. Fogarty's game was outperforming everybody else. That's like comparing a Volkswagen to a Corvette.

Kid from Gretzky's hometown of Brantford, Ontario. He broke several of Bobby Orr's records playing juniors. He just couldn't stay sober. Then he died of an enlarged heart in 2002.

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no20fogarty.html
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby FUDU » Mon May 03, 2010 7:51 pm

Locally I'd like to see it on St. Edward wresting.

On a national stage I'd like to see it on the Miracle on Ice, before and after, or the 1972 Munich massacre.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon May 03, 2010 10:18 pm

Maurice Clarett.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri May 28, 2010 12:35 am

just caught The Rotisserie league baseball special, and it's simply amazingly well done.

To add and sort of , I'd love to see a special on the rise of sports video games, namely focusing on something like Tecmo Bowl, and the Madden franchise. I though the "Madden Nation" series was rather lame and so did a lot of the fans of the game, as it just highlighted a lot of wigger-bandwagon fans using the hail mary play every-time.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:29 pm

29 "Pony Excess" Thaddeus D. Matula November 9, 2010
Chronicles the Southern Methodist University football scandal and the rise, fall, and rebirth of the Southern Methodist University Mustangs .

I see that simmons added a few new one to the list, this one peaking out to me the most. The SMU Death penalty case has always intrigued me.

here's hoping this is a permanent series.

Triple-S

Unread postby StewieG » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:52 pm

I'd like to see a story on the positive power sports had coming off of the September 11 attacks. Especially the first NFL games and MLB games after the attacks, and the world series where Bush threw out the first pitch.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:57 pm

I know one they shouldn't do, about a night in Vegas when Tupac gets whacked during a Tyson fight.

Ooops too late.

Worst one yet.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:59 pm

FUDU wrote:I know one they shouldn't do, about a night in Vegas when Tupac gets whacked during a Tyson fight.

Ooops too late.

Worst one yet.

+ 1

Piss poor. show.
jb

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:20 pm

jb wrote:
FUDU wrote:I know one they shouldn't do, about a night in Vegas when Tupac gets whacked during a Tyson fight.

Ooops too late.

Worst one yet.

+ 1

Piss poor. show.

Didn't get a chance to check it out, anyone mind giving me a run-down?

I thought that one and the Ice Cube "Raidas'" one was pretty weak. Mind you, I'm a fan of both 'pac and NWA, but it just didn't seem as good as the others.

Triple-S

Unread postby aoxo1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:26 am

Triple-S wrote:Didn't get a chance to check it out, anyone mind giving me a run-down?

I thought that one and the Ice Cube "Raidas'" one was pretty weak. Mind you, I'm a fan of both 'pac and NWA, but it just didn't seem as good as the others.

Huh?
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:37 am

aoxo1 wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Didn't get a chance to check it out, anyone mind giving me a run-down?

Huh?

just content wise in regards to a sports documentary. Not via watching the whole thing.

admittedly , I've only watched the Raiders one.

Triple-S

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:44 am

StewieG wrote:I'd like to see a story on the positive power sports had coming off of the September 11 attacks. Especially the first NFL games and MLB games after the attacks, and the world series where Bush threw out the first pitch.

HBO had one a few years ago, "Nine Innings From Ground Zero". It's mostly about the 3 games at Yankee Stadium and provides a glimpse on how baseball affected the people of NY for a few days. Really well done w/ some heart tugging stories intertwined.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:50 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:
StewieG wrote:I'd like to see a story on the positive power sports had coming off of the September 11 attacks. Especially the first NFL games and MLB games after the attacks, and the world series where Bush threw out the first pitch.

HBO had one a few years ago, "Nine Innings From Ground Zero". It's mostly about the 3 games at Yankee Stadium and provides a glimpse on how baseball affected the people of NY for a few days. Really well done w/ some heart tugging stories intertwined.

Thanks! I added it to my netflix queue.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:41 pm

Triple-S wrote:
jb wrote:

Ooops too late.

Worst one yet.

+ 1

Piss poor. show.

Didn't get a chance to check it out, anyone mind giving me a run-down?

It was produced poorly, bad presentation, tried way too hard to give it a "yeah bitch, we from the hood" feel to it. Also not near enough juicy info the you sometimes get from these, all in all it felt like a weird Arsenio Hall skit when it could have made a nice half ass documentary.

FUDU

Unread postby idoctribefan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:02 am

I watched the two most recent documentaries today (Little Big Men and Tupac/Tyson) and thought both of them were pretty weak. Overall I've really enjoyed the series. The only one I hadn't enjoyed before these two was the Cube/Raiders show.

ESPN pimpin the next one as being produced by Hannah Storm. She should've used some of that investment cash to buy herself a big sandwich.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:28 am

I agree the Raiders one was bad. Why was that considered one of the 30 biggest stories from the past 30 years?

Worst one, IMO, was the one with OJ and all the other crap that happened that day (June 17, 1994).

It's been about split between bad, average, and great docs. I would put The U, Muhammad and Larry, Run Ricky Run, and The Two Escobars as the ones that absolutely stood out for me.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:01 pm

Of the 30-for-30 eps I've seen, Knicks-Pacers is what sticks out for me. I liked the fact that it didn't take itself too seriously. I think a doc in a similar vein about the Yankees-Royals playoff battles of the late '70s would be interesting.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Manning vs. Eck: wife banging edition.
Redz vs 'Bron: mom banging edition.
Steelers fans: sister banging edition.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby jb » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:13 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Manning vs. Eck: wife banging edition.
Redz vs 'Bron: mom banging edition.
Steelers fans: sister banging edition.

Cleveland sports: head banging edition
jb

Unread postby Squints » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:01 pm

After a series of marginal episodes, Once Brothers nails it- on many levels. For me, it's one of my favorites in this series, up there with The Two Escobars, The U, and Who Killed the USFL.
Squints

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:22 am

Squints wrote:After a series of marginal episodes, Once Brothers nails it- on many levels. For me, it's one of my favorites in this series, up there with The Two Escobars, The U, and Who Killed the USFL.

Yes. The one last night was really really good.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:56 am

"The Rise and Fall of Luis Issac"

"Dark Day on the Lake, the trade of Ryan Garko"

"The Decision," the signing of Larry Hughes.

"One ball, one foot," how John Morton turned one half of basketball into a first round contract."

"Run William Run," from Kevin Johnson's trim.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:27 pm

jb wrote:

Ooops too late.

Worst one yet.

+ 1

Piss poor. show.

I HATED the Baltimore Colts one... the utterly glossing over of Cleveland in it reaked of hypocrisy at the utmost level. That said, I didn't watch the Tupac one.

My Top 3 thus far:

1) Two Escobars story (really could have been another hour, simply fascinating)
2) Terry Fox story
3) Ricky Williams story/Muhammed Ali-Holmes Fight

I have to hand it to ESPN... they have positioned themselves right up there with some of the finest work that HBO has ever done (OSU-Michigan doc on HBO is phenomenal, by the way)
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:10 pm

noles1 wrote:I HATED the Baltimore Colts one... the utterly glossing over of Cleveland in it reaked of hypocrisy at the utmost level.

we had a thread about that a while back in the Browns forum.

Baltimore's fanbase is fairly fraudulent, having been around the area several times to visit family and to go on vacation, they just don't see to have a passion for football like the state of ohio does. My overall feeling is that once Stabby McRay-Ray and Ed Reed retire and you see the team slide back to mediocrity, you won't see them be near as supportive.

It's actually where I argue against the "Ravens-Steelers" games being a true "rivalry", it really isn't.

Triple-S

Unread postby jb » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:59 pm

Triple-S wrote:
noles1 wrote:I HATED the Baltimore Colts one... the utterly glossing over of Cleveland in it reaked of hypocrisy at the utmost level.

we had a thread about that a while back in the Browns forum.

Baltimore's fanbase is fairly fraudulent, having been around the area several times to visit family and to go on vacation, they just don't see to have a passion for football like the state of ohio does. My overall feeling is that once Stabby McRay-Ray and Ed Reed retire and you see the team slide back to mediocrity, you won't see them be near as supportive.

It's actually where I argue against the "Ravens-Steelers" games being a true "rivalry", it really isn't.

As long as Ozzie is in charge, they will have normal ebbs and flows, but they will be a good franchise.

And sorry, man, it is real rivalry simply due to the annual stakes that seem to be in play.

I saw a MD HS team pimp slap Cincy St X this season, BTW.
jb

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:22 pm

jb wrote:I saw a MD HS team pimp slap Cincy St X this season, BTW.

JB, we all know that "Cincinnati" isn't part of ohio. ;).

Triple-S

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:55 pm

Saw the "Once Brothers" episode last night documenting the former Yugoslavia bball team, most notably the relationships between Vlade Divac (A Serbian, and the main focus of the story) and Drazen Petrovic, Toni Kucoc, and Dino Radja (Croatian). Very gripping and quite somber compared to some of the other 30 for 30 shows. Sad doesn't begin to describe the fallout that occurred between Vlade and his fellow countryman, especially considering the nature of that civil war. Anyone else get a chance to watch this?
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:16 pm

Once Brothers sounds great. Have to make sure I catch it.

My top 3 are:
1. The 2 Escobars
2. Winning Time
3. The USFL one

I missed the one about Miami U.

What would I like to see? Easy.

10 cent Beer Night.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:18 am

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:Saw the "Once Brothers" episode last night documenting the former Yugoslavia bball team, most notably the relationships between Vlade Divac (A Serbian, and the main focus of the story) and Drazen Petrovic, Toni Kucoc, and Dino Radja (Croatian). Very gripping and quite somber compared to some of the other 30 for 30 shows. Sad doesn't begin to describe the fallout that occurred between Vlade and his fellow countryman, especially considering the nature of that civil war. Anyone else get a chance to watch this?

I had high expectations to be honest. Felt like it didn't live up.

Thought they should have had an experienced interviewer work and walk along side Vlade. Person could have pulled more emotion out of him than what we got as viewers. Just had me feeling it should have been more emotional but came up light.

No follow up questions to Kukoc or Radja as they walked off the podium either? Strange.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Squints » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Series finale Sat. The topic is the fall of the SMU football program, the "Pony Express" teams of Eric Dickerson and Craig James, back in the 1980s that lead to the death penalty. Should be a good one, it follows the Heismann announcement Saturday, will be sure to DVR it. The doc on the Miami Hurricanes followed the Heismann last year, so following that logic it should be one worth tuning in.

I always wnated to learn more on this subject, could the death penalty ever happen again? Probably not. Will watch and learn. I do recall Andre Ware and Houston Cougars hanging 95 on the back from the dead Ponies the year he won the Heismann.
Squints

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:45 pm

My favorites so far have been...

1) Once were Brothers (Vlade)
2) Rotisserie Baseball
3) Marcus Dupree or Da U

Really looking forward to the SMU one Saturday, tons of potential with that topic.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:13 pm

With March Madness soon to be in full swing, college basketball is on everyone's mind. The talk about conference tournaments, bracketology, bubble watch and if teams are going to make the "Big Dance" is about to dominate the sports news world, and all of this will lead to Selection Sunday on March 13.

Once all of the tournament selections have been announced and analyzed, Selection Sunday will be capped off with ESPN's "30 for 30" documentary about the Fab Five. This has been in the works since last year and will document the story of the Fab Five and their impact on not only Michigan basketball, but the culture of college basketball as well.

The Fab Five documentary will air on ESPN at 9 p.m. on March 13. As a preview for what is the latest "30 for 30" movie, ESPN released a trailer for this documentary. You can check it out below.

http://detroit.sbnation.com/michigan-wo ... ocumentary

Muck Fichigan and everything, but damn...I can't wait for this one.

Really am praying they do a Mo. Clarett one sometime.

Triple-S

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:48 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Browns_relocation_controversy

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/12/sports/pro-football-a-city-fights-to-save-the-browns.html?ref=art_modell&pagewanted=all

Still the greatest story no one knows nationally. I have a dvd that Pablus did on this that is about 50 minutes and it is incredible. Only time a fan base ever stood up and made this happen.

Far, far more comeplling than 60% of ehat I've seen on 30 4 30.
jb

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:50 pm

jb wrote:Still the greatest story no one knows nationally. I have a dvd that Pablus did on this that is about 50 minutes and it is incredible. Only time a fan base ever stood up and made this happen.

was that bleeding brown and orange? had always wanted to see that.

Looking back on it, as someone who was just a kid at the time, I never could quite understood the big deal it caused, but I understood it pissed off my dad a great deal.

now? It blows my mind at what Modell tried to pull off that.

Triple-S

Unread postby Squints » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:54 pm

Slightly off topic but this month HBO will air a doc about the Runnin' Rebels of the late 80's early '90s. Think The U but basketball and on HBO.

Late entry- but thoroughly enjoyed Pony Excess. Always wanted to know more on that topic.
Squints

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:40 am

jb wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Browns_relocation_controversy

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/12/sports/pro-football-a-city-fights-to-save-the-browns.html?ref=art_modell&pagewanted=all

Still the greatest story no one knows nationally. I have a dvd that Pablus did on this that is about 50 minutes and it is incredible. Only time a fan base ever stood up and made this happen.

Far, far more comeplling than 60% of ehat I've seen on 30 4 30.

It wouldn't play on a national level b/c people would point and say, "Look, they got their franchise back, what are they bitching about?", w/o seeing the clusterf**k start this franchise got off to.

10yrs without Browns football in Cleveland than you better believe it would be of interest to those outside of NEO and BB's across the country
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:57 am

larvell, I can't recall a single incidence of a fan base forcing a league to account mmediately for a carpetbagging owner, although I am ignorant of the Charlotte NBA situation particulars. Within a few weeks the fans forced the team, name and colors and also a loan on a new stadium from the mighty NFL. And when I write fans, I'm talking about the beer swilling idiots in Muni like me. I've met these people. That whole thing was beyond grass roots. Had that PR stink not been made, the NFL and fART surely would have beaten back the city's legal challenges as they had all others (until Demaurice looks like he's playing them pretty good now).

In fact, it might have been the first use of what was then "new media" (fax / internet) placing such democatic power in the masses. That is the bigger story.

Between the two, that's why this was a far bigger deal than just the backdrop of Cleveland.
jb

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:40 am

<-------beer swilling idiot in Muni lot, next to the Shoreway by the Exit sign. Section 47 in the bleachers 85-95. Had the Save our Browns signs placed on the front lawn, faxed as much as I could to the NFL offices.

When broken down as you have, it makes more sense. Now the question is who goes on camera to talk about it? Does any Modell have the stones to talk? Does Mike White decide to come out of hiding? Who represents the fans? Big Dawg yet again? Does the NFL, having made the deal to give the city back the name, colors, stadium loan etc, have a gag order in place so that nobody talks about what went on behind all closed doors.

So the > 50 fans at the Save the Houston Oilers rally won't get a docu?
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:00 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:When broken down as you have, it makes more sense. Now the question is who goes on camera to talk about it? Does any Modell have the stones to talk? Does Mike White decide to come out of hiding? Who represents the fans? Big Dawg yet again? Does the NFL, having made the deal to give the city back the name, colors, stadium loan etc, have a gag order in place so that nobody talks about what went on behind all closed doors.

That's why it's a fuckin' awesome story.

You know Modell woudn't be able to shut his cake hole. You can stalk the Alpacca farm and either get an interview, or you'll get a great no comment B-Roll and maybe a sweater. Fred Nance is still public. Bob Gries still around? Mike Poplar. Tagliabue. Cleveland media types like Levine, Dieken and even Trivisano. No way Randy talks.

And it wouldn't be Big Dawg either, if done right. It'd be people like Terry Hunt (Rick Hunt's widow) , Lee Anne Melbar, Pablus; BFWWN names are still available as well as old email addies if still active, and yeah, even Barry McBride for all he did back then. People like that did the heavy lifting, not Big Dog. A quick query on OBR Scout would land you enough leads to the real hard-core in 15 minutes.

The types of characters and juxtoposition of who was taking on whom in this bizarre 4 way struggle between Baltimore/Modell , Tags & the NFL owners, Cleveland politicians, an dthe rank and file Browns fans, along with the newness of the technology and the rare fan victory would make this a great 30 for 30 completely independant of whtehr you cared about the Browns or Cleveland.

Make no mistake, the SOB movement was the fans version of Little Big Horn or Rorke's Drift. Fans are ALWAYS the ones who lose the most. Except this time, we didn't. And then we did.

In a sense, it is a little bit like Lawrence of Arabia. Win the war most improbably, lose the peace.
jb

Unread postby Squints » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:58 pm

Triple-S wrote:
With March Madness soon to be in full swing, college basketball is on everyone's mind. The talk about conference tournaments, bracketology, bubble watch and if teams are going to make the "Big Dance" is about to dominate the sports news world, and all of this will lead to Selection Sunday on March 13.

Once all of the tournament selections have been announced and analyzed, Selection Sunday will be capped off with ESPN's "30 for 30" documentary about the Fab Five. This has been in the works since last year and will document the story of the Fab Five and their impact on not only Michigan basketball, but the culture of college basketball as well.

The Fab Five documentary will air on ESPN at 9 p.m. on March 13. As a preview for what is the latest "30 for 30" movie, ESPN released a trailer for this documentary. You can check it out below.

http://detroit.sbnation.com/michigan-wo ... ocumentary

Muck Fichigan and everything, but damn...I can't wait for this one.

Really am praying they do a Mo. Clarett one sometime.

Watching this now. Boy, did I hate, hate, hate that team. Only time I rooted for the Laettner Blue Devils. Classless, spoiled, arrogant pricks who choked when the pressure was greatest.
Squints

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:36 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He shoots, he scores. Loathesome individuals, even worse when put together.

Nothing is more pathtic than student athlete whining about not getting "paid".

http://www.finaid.umich.edu/financial_aid_basics/cost.asp
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:50 pm

All that hype, all that buzz surrounding the greatest recruiting class ever and all they have to show for it is 1 probable HOFr and an average NBA analyst job at ESPN.

Cop Rock's 15 minutes lasted as long.

Hilarious.

FUDU

Next

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture