Text Size

No Holds Barred

Resistance Bands

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Resistance Bands

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:36 pm

In my ongoing and seemingly eternal quest to not be a fat, disgusting piece of shit, I've recently become intrigued by resistance band workouts. This would be for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that it seems like an inexpensive proposition with possibly great benefit.

Anybody have any experience with this type of workout who can offer advice on types of bands, where to get them (online or in stores), and possibly a good site that would have online video or workout demos? There seems to be a whole hell of a lot out there and it's hard to know what is worthwhile.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Resistance Bands

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Did speed training with these guys for five years:

http://www.jumpstretch.com/fitcenter.php

Highly recommend the bands and if you can find a similar center near you going in to workout is always better. The workouts can range between athletic speed training all the way down to old guys trying to not have heart attacks. No clue if wherever you live has anything close but I can at least recommend their bands.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:47 pm

I was going to post, but realized this thread wasn't about Black Flag.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby hebner20 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:40 pm

'scratcher,

I know you asked about resistance bands but; for weight loss via exercise to be successful it has to have 3 attributes:

1) Convenience
2) Efficient - burn as many calories per hour as possible
3) Something you can somewhat enjoy

See the link below that gives estimated calories burned per hour based on weight of the individual. I have downloaded the info into excel and sorted it by lowest to highest burned per hour. I also have it in pdf if that works better. If you are interested, PM me with your email address and I can send you the file type you prefer.

You would be surprised what burns a lot and what does not. You also probably would like low impact and that eliminates running unfortunately which is a great exercise that has the first 2 attributes covered.

My suggestion would be a very brisk walk for an hour at 4 mph. Low impact, any dunderhead can walk and you can walk anywhere. It burns a pretty good amount of calories too. No need to be a hero and go gung ho and burn out after a week of weights or whatever. No pain no gain is not really true.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburned.htm

good luck whatever you decide to do.
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:28 am

hebner20 wrote:'scratcher,

I know you asked about resistance bands but; for weight loss via exercise to be successful it has to have 3 attributes:

1) Convenience
2) Efficient - burn as many calories per hour as possible
3) Something you can somewhat enjoy

See the link below that gives estimated calories burned per hour based on weight of the individual. I have downloaded the info into excel and sorted it by lowest to highest burned per hour. I also have it in pdf if that works better. If you are interested, PM me with your email address and I can send you the file type you prefer.

You would be surprised what burns a lot and what does not. You also probably would like low impact and that eliminates running unfortunately which is a great exercise that has the first 2 attributes covered.

My suggestion would be a very brisk walk for an hour at 4 mph. Low impact, any dunderhead can walk and you can walk anywhere. It burns a pretty good amount of calories too. No need to be a hero and go gung ho and burn out after a week of weights or whatever. No pain no gain is not really true.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburned.htm

good luck whatever you decide to do.

Not neccessarily the exercise, it's how you do it.

Concerning weight loss during exercise, you need to do it in a manner that oscillates your heart rate. To the point of resistance bands, they can be very effcient for weight loss, or not - all depends how you're doing it.

Said this numerous times on here when this topic comes up, but you want to look at what is pretty much universally done by those who aren't trying to sell you anything. Perfect example would be a undrafted lineman - undrafted cause he's 30 pounds too heavy. The team gives a rat's ass about the guy personally, they need to get him in shape to cash in. Guaranteed INTERVAL cardio. Ladders in the weight room, with short, timed rest between sets. And from a nutrition standpoint they are eating smaller meals every 2-3 hours to kick start the metabolism.

The single biggest problem with the layman when they begin an excerise program, is they start a low calories diet at the same time. And in doing so they fail to efficiently fuel their body to be able to effectively perform the excerise. If you are starting an exercise program to lose weight, begin by simply eating the right things. Worry about calories down the line. Spread that clean eating throughout the day, and your workouts will feel crisp and efficient, and you'll be on your way. Incidentally, this is the reason people who diet, when they stop dieting, gain the weight back and more - because they've just spent X amount of time making their body a less efficient machine because they haven't "stoked the furnace" on a regualr basis.

The science is there. We KNOW how to do it. Problem is people would rank "some sort of magic dust shortcut" and "Have it be easy" over science.

The single best bit of nutritional advice there ever was - "Don't start a nutritional program that you don't plan on continuing the rest of your life."

Do you know what practically guarantees one that they will be heavier three years from now? Being on a diet today.

By the way, search for the workout Drew Brees does with resistance bands. Featured in Mens Health a couple months ago. The modern rage is total body/core with a full range of motion, and resistance bands can fit those bills quite well, hence their steam with professionals.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:36 am

FWIW: I have spent the last nine months avoiding the gym like the plague because if I ever again run on a treadmill or try to bench a lot of weight I will cry. Over all that shit. Joining an MMA trainer for kickboxing lessons here to get that competitive "want to workout" feel back.

That would be my biggest rec. Find something that will challenge you. Walking and dieting is lame and boring. Find a way to want to lose weight. I'm physically a mess right now and gonna fix it by doing the same. It ain't gonna be cheap but it'll be worth it.

It's easy to get in shape when you want to and it isn't boring. Fuck treadmills, long walks and sunsets.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:20 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Did speed training with these guys for five years:

http://www.jumpstretch.com/fitcenter.php

Highly recommend the bands and if you can find a similar center near you going in to workout is always better. The workouts can range between athletic speed training all the way down to old guys trying to not have heart attacks. No clue if wherever you live has anything close but I can at least recommend their bands.

Is this a sports take, or a facebook post? vb ;-)
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:16 am

Good genetics.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:53 am

leadpipe wrote:Not neccessarily the exercise, it's how you do it.

This is one of the smartest and correct non-sports related posts in awhile. Guess its a tie between this and Wab's #4 on last weeks 5 on Friday.

If your key focus is shredding the LBS, eating less but maximizing calorie efficiency is the best way. In other words, lots of cardio and keeping a good ratio of proteins/carbs and other nutrients. Lots of water as well. You will be surprised how much and how fast you start losing when you taper your diet down between 1200-1500 calories.

EY makes a good point which is ties into my first sentence. I am finding the best way to get toned and keep bad weight off is high rep, high intensity full body workouts. Its hard to do right away if you are out of shape, but when you've built up enough cardio strength, doing a full body routine with very little or no rests in between sets is very very effective regardless of metabolism/genetics. For that type of workout, do not focus on one body part at once. Do your set of curls, then do something lower body. Keep rotating between upper and lower body until you do your entire workout. Typically, I like 3 high intensity sets for each excercise doing between 15-20 reps set. The key is getting into that high rep range without hitting muscle fatigue. Make sure when you start out, you figure out the range of how much you can lift for 3 sets at the 15-20. Start with very low weights and work your way up if you have to.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:00 pm

As an aside and insight to my own results, 4 years ago when I was lifting/eating a ton, I got up to about 195 LBS with about 13% BF. Considering I am 5'8" and do not have a big frame, that was a ton of muscle especially in my legs, glutes, and core. The problem was is that I was doing a lot of power lifting and heavy weights and not enough cardio. That weight did not feel natural on my body and since then have changed up to a routine focused on intensity, flexibility, maintaining joint health, and getting the most of myself at a much lower weight. I walk around now at 168 but still have a lot of work to do because I got lazy for awhile. In any case, this type of exercise makes me FEEL a whole lot better even though I don't look as good in the mirror yet. More cardio + less weight + better power/rate ratio = feeling healthy IMO.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks for the discussion as it's helpful.

A little background to where I am. About 3 .5 years ago I dropped 40 lbs. made me 5'10" 170lbs. I did it by counting weight watchers points. I maintained it at around 175 for over a year. Then, my pregnant wife ended up at Fairview hospital for 2 weeks before giving birth 10 weeks early. My son was there for about another 6 weeks. I only tell you this because that's when I started gaining it all back. A lot of fast food. A lot of beer and burgers and wings at PJ Mcintyres.

One of my main problems was I never did start to exercise like I should. The losing was easy, but you absolutely have to be fit in order to maintain it.

I got on the scale a few weeks ago and was thoroughly disgusted with myself at 220. I started WW oints again last monday. I've never been to a meeting or paid them a cent. It's just an easy, organized way to limit and track calories. Essentially, it teaches you appropriate foods and portions to eat.

Then, last wednessday (after I'd already started dieting) I was at an all day conference given by the Cooper Institute. They just basically drove home a lot of the things that you already really know, but that kind of thing can light a fire under someone's ass and get them motivated.

One of the speakers was Phil Tyne, who used to work for the Chargers and now works running a fitness program at Baylor. One of the things he talked about was resistance bands as part of a workout routine. It seemed like something that would be benefitial. More importantly, it seemed like something that I might do.

My schedule is very screwy. I don't want to spend a lot on a health club that I know I won't use. I don't want to run because my foot has hurt like an SOB for about half a year now. I've been told it's plantar fascitis.

I'd like to use an eliptical but that's an expensive proposition for something that might be a coat rack in 6 months. Resistance bands are relatively cheap and I can do them at home. If I can prove to myself that this is something I would do, maybe I can justify the more expensive stuff.

I understand that my main problem is laziness, but there it is.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:15 pm

This shit makes me laff cuz I once had a Golen Gloves boxer go home from my job site at lunch and never come back. Hard as a rock and could run 10 miles but 4 hrs with me was all he had...

4 wall handball, bitches

A few free weights and a speed bag in the basement....thats all you need

Unless you're gay like peeker and prefer raquetball
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Love racquetball. Truth be told I have nothing against handball and I believe you when you say it's a great sweat. Problem is no one at the Y plays it and I've never seen it played at a private club either.

It's good cardio and it's competetive. I can't play anything for fun because I'm wored wrong but all I really care about whne i go is sweating.

Two months of movie watching on the couch after whatever happened happened plus steorids (and now NSAIDS instead) put on 10lbs.

I'm just undere 6' feet tall and a week of rawuetball has knocked off 5lbs without a recurrence of the head issues.

If you can find something you enjoy and that works your heart and everything else it sure does make it easier.

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:This shit makes me laff cuz I once had a Golen Gloves boxer go home from my job site at lunch and never come back. Hard as a rock and could run 10 miles but 4 hrs with me was all he had...

4 wall handball, bitches

"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:19 pm

So Peek, how good are you at raquetball? Can i make money by betting on you?

If you ever need motivation just PM me, i'm great at that, it's my new career choice besides talented rapper of course.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:34 pm

BTW eye's second post is absolutely correct for the majority.

Change of pace is key, unless you have the discipline of Gandhi, and most do not.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:01 am

peeker643 wrote:Love racquetball. Truth be told I have nothing against handball and I believe you when you say it's a great sweat. Problem is no one at the Y plays it and I've never seen it played at a private club either.

It's good cardio and it's competetive. I can't play anything for fun because I'm wored wrong but all I really care about whne i go is sweating.

Two months of movie watching on the couch after whatever happened happened plus steorids (and now NSAIDS instead) put on 10lbs.

I'm just undere 6' feet tall and a week of rawuetball has knocked off 5lbs without a recurrence of the head issues.

If you can find something you enjoy and that works your heart and everything else it sure does make it easier.

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:This shit makes me laff cuz I once had a Golen Gloves boxer go home from my job site at lunch and never come back. Hard as a rock and could run 10 miles but 4 hrs with me was all he had...

4 wall handball, bitches

Ya know I'm just bustin em cuz we had this conversation before...

Handball is passe' because its too much work ...only old guys like me with strong work ethics could handle it... : )

Its more physically demanding than raquetball AND, you have to learn how to use both hands....which, BTW, will make you a terror @ beach vollyball... you'll also tear ass on the speed bag

Raquetball actually burns more in a 1 hr game tho because its faster but, dude, you need a raquet and have to develope a....gag....a 'backhand' :gah:

There's nothing like hitting a left handed 'roll-out' ... its manly :thumb up:
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:46 pm

Turned 30 last year, and the heavy weights caught up to me 2 years ago. The best advice is to choose something you will stick with.

I thinking of canceling the gym membership and buying a few dumbbells, some kettle bells and a bench for the garage. I'm going to have to start running, even though my knees will not be happy. No diet yet, but that honeymoon won't last forever.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Return to No Holds Barred