Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Good Guys/Bad Guys in Sports Broadcasting/Media

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Good Guys/Bad Guys in Sports Broadcasting/Media

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:24 pm

We all are subjected to them, just thought this would be an interesting topic. Can be anyone you can think of, be it online, old school, local or national.

Good Guy

Jay Bilas

Suprisingly is less bias about Duke and the ACC than his collegue Dick Vitale. I enjoy his commentary because he's pretty unbias and doesn't feel the need to play the heel or the homer card all the time. Admittingly basketball is one of the weaker sports in terms of knowledge, but I have a respect for the man.

Bad Guy

Colin Cowherd really doesn't have anything redeeming to write about. His whole schtick is trying to take everything that is obnoxious about Jim Rome and add in a this wannabe "Bad guy" speel to it, equals one massive douche. His takes on things come from the Skip Bayless school of broadcasting, in trying to just take the side to piss other people off. He, much like say, Goldhammer and Fedor on WKNR will often times run callers and mock them during their entire process for not being in-line with his views. He has also said racist and stupid things about players like John Wall, Sean Taylor and others. And now? he's been given a TV show on CBS much like his ESPN collegues at PTI. How a person like this has made it this far in the world of sports broadcasting shows just how out of touch with the heart of the sports fan the WWL is.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Good Guys/Bad Guys in Sports Broadcasting/Media

Unread postby waborat » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:02 pm

Good: Bob "Bulldog" Briscoe

Bad: Les Nessman
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:10 am

Good- Paul Keels

Bad- That fucking Mark May
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:51 am

Good- Scott Van Pelt Both on ESPN and ESPN Radio show.

Bad- Every single local radio talk show host except WFUN 970's Joe Pete (and if you live downtown or west of it don't even try).
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:11 am

peeker643 wrote:Good- Scott Van Pelt Both on ESPN and ESPN Radio show.

Bad- Every single local radio talk show host except WFUN 970's Joe Pete (and if you live downtown or west of it don't even try).

Tuned into Van Pelt on 990, as for some reason I'm able to recieve a lower power station out of Massillon.

Surprised me that he was that good on the air, but he indeed is, I've been listening to him more and more.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Cease » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:23 am

SSS ought to love this... http://deadspin.com/#!5759988/we-have-the-awful-pilot-for-colin-cowherds-awful-tv-show/gallery/1

Good: Al Freaking Powlowski. He's going to be HUGE some day, mark my words.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:26 am

Yeah, I mentioned that in the first post my man. :thumb up:

Triple-S

Unread postby Cease » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:30 am

Triple-S wrote:

Yeah, I mentioned that in the first post my man. :thumb up:

Riiiiiiight. Headcold.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:31 pm

Good - Gus Johnson and its not even close.

Bad - Basically everyone in ESPN can drown in Lake Erie save for John Buccigross, Barry Melrose, Van Pelt, and Kenny Mayne.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby hiko » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:14 pm

That script is truly god-awful. CBS should politely decline, but since they already have a ton of awful crap on their programming why not greenlight it?
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby Squints » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Good local:

Drennan- Has anyone made the most of a second (at least his second) chance as he has? He's getting better as he gets older and is still entertaining when he goes on his tirades. Doing the best work of his career when he's in his sixties. I listened to him when I was a kid. Drennan during the week, Sindelar on the weekends on WWWE.

Also, we have a outstanding personality here in Erie by the name of Mike "Chico" Bormann. Been here a decade. From Cleveland and OSU. Surprised we haven't lost him yet. He would be KNR's best personality the minute he would join them. Has guest hosted ABAO and was a guest last week. Gives due to the Pittsburgh fans and covers their teams without losing the ability rip the inbred at the same time. He won't cut off callers with difference in opinions.

Bad local:

Everyone at KNR especially Reghi. Hate to paint with that braod of a brush, but I now listen to Mike Francesca when I'm wrapping up work and no longer listen to the station on Sat am.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture