Text Size

No Holds Barred

Great article on America

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Great article on America

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:42 am

Worth reading IMO, might produce some really solid discussion

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article ... -3,00.html

The whole system is geared to preserve current subsidies, tax breaks and loopholes. That is why the federal government spends $4 on elderly people for every $1 it spends on those under 18. And when the time comes to make cuts, guess whose programs are first on the chopping board. That is a terrible sign of a society's priorities and outlook.

The problem with the U.S. government is that its allocation of resources is highly inefficient. We spend vast amounts of money on subsidies for housing, agriculture and health, many of which distort the economy and do little for long-term growth. We spend too little on science, technology, innovation and infrastructure, which will produce growth and jobs in the future.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Great article on America

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:53 am

What would you about uhh-murrica you pot smoking hippie?

You know as much as germans know about pizza. ;-) ;) :wink:
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:09 pm

Very thought provoking.

I don't have a particular take, but did you click on and go thru the Cleveland foreclosure photos?

Yeesh. Straight up Robocop.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jerryroche » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:19 pm

Agree with the author that the federal government has become too ponderous and that a reallocation of resources is needed. Too much money going to the wrong causes.

Disagree that the U.S. Constitution needs changing.

We have … a Senate that doesn't work, with rules and traditions that allow a single Senator to obstruct democracy without even explaining why. We have a political system geared toward ceaseless fundraising and pandering to the interests of the present with no ability to plan, invest or build for the future.

None of those maladies are the fault of the Constitution. It’s the reams and reams of ancillary legislation that the country has adopted since 1791 that are paralyzing us.

First solution: make national elections publicly funded. Forbid the Republican National Committee and Democratic National Committee from donating to favored (or any!) candidates. Thus our elected officials will not pander to their parties, and more reasonable discourse in Congress will necessarily follow.

That's a start.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Bernie-Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Beware of Lions, funny and true.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:51 pm

jerryroche wrote:Agree with the author that the federal government has become too ponderous and that a reallocation of resources is needed. Too much money going to the wrong causes.

Disagree that the U.S. Constitution needs changing.

We have … a Senate that doesn't work, with rules and traditions that allow a single Senator to obstruct democracy without even explaining why. We have a political system geared toward ceaseless fundraising and pandering to the interests of the present with no ability to plan, invest or build for the future.

None of those maladies are the fault of the Constitution. It’s the reams and reams of ancillary legislation that the country has adopted since 1791 that are paralyzing us.

First solution: make national elections publicly funded. Forbid the Republican National Committee and Democratic National Committee from donating to favored (or any!) candidates. Thus our elected officials will not pander to their parties, and more reasonable discourse in Congress will necessarily follow.

That's a start.

Meh.

We generally get the government we deserve. Dumb electorate = dumb government. The Constitution was BUILT to be changed when we all agreed necesarry, and to avoid irrational short termed swings when there wasn't overwhelming support. Like Farruke writes, we know what needs to happen. It's just the influence $$ and a dumb electorate distracted by stupidity.
jb

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:23 pm

Hard to stop the momentum of the Federal Governemnet when it gets rolling. Also it typically caters to those who vote and pay attention (duh and sort of JB's point, I think)!

Might have more after I finish reading...

ETA
I'm mixed on the article, some things I agree and some I just don't accept the premise. Eh, maybe someone of a higer work ethic could break down this into individual threads. Too much meat in this piece, gotta hit it point by point.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:42 am

Somebody needs to tell Delaware county that SR 23 needs some fucking repaving or something, fucking hell it's like driving over piles of midgets.

Nothing quite as fun as hydroplaning at 85mph in a pickup truck with Cowboys From Hell blasting.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:10 pm

OJ's right, point by point would be easier.

As to some of the general points...

This country has gotten away from many of the simple basics that made it great, progression will do that. The point about the economy is spot on, we're not a huge one bodied economy but a conglomeration of many smaller working economies, all that can/should have their niche and place nationally and even globally.

Without getting into the whole family building discussion we've also totally gotten away from more fundamental priorities, in terms of finances (individually & collectively) and in terms of fundamentals in community building.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:28 pm

FUDU wrote:OJ's right, point by point would be easier.

This country has gotten away from many of the simple basics that made it great, progression will do that. The point about the economy is spot on, we're not a huge one bodied economy but a conglomeration of many smaller working economies, all that can/should have their niche and place nationally and even globally.

Without getting into the whole family building discussion we've also totally gotten away from more fundamental priorities, in terms of finances (individually & collectively) and in terms of fundamentals in community building.

lol.

By getting away from the simple basics, do you mean becoming a me first greed whore society that doesn't give a fuck about anyone else?

Because I would agree with that.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:16 pm

To some degree yes, greed is definitely a part of the equation. But let's be honest about that perspective, we breed it in this country to some degree as well. With how things are structured today most people cannot afford to worry about others and their problems, you disagree? Anyway that wasn't my main point in my original post.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:34 pm

FUDU wrote:To some degree yes, greed is definitely a part of the equation. But let's be honest about that perspective, we breed it in this country to some degree as well. With how things are structured today most people cannot afford to worry about others and their problems, you disagree? Anyway that wasn't my main point in my original post.

What do you mean by "structured"?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:19 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
FUDU wrote:OJ's right, point by point would be easier.

lol.

By getting away from the simple basics, do you mean becoming a me first greed whore society that doesn't give a fuck about anyone else?

Pretty sure he waqs talking about living lik ethe Amish, slavery, and women's dienfranchisement.

Fckin stupid ass palin take right thar FUDU.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:47 pm

CDT, structured as in how everything works in our society, specifically regarding our taxation & the reality that wages simply do not keep up with inflation in the real world.

I applaud a compassionate heart but what good is worrying about everyone else's troubles when each and every one of us have our own troubles and responsibilities. Singing Kumbya and holding hands around the camp fire doesn't cut it, and that is not directed at you personally. It takes time and/or money to help others out, and in case you have noticed time and money are the two things that keep diminishing for the working class in this country as time progresses.

But really from you I'd want to know your definition of "someone who doesn't give a fuck about anyone else"?

Here is a nice little link on part of what I am getting at: a year or two old mind you but relevant to our times today: http://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2009/12/is-our-tax-system-helping-us-create-wealth.html

JB, the closet apologist in you is showing again and I'll get to your retarded reply some other time. But you want to be your brother's keep then by all means be your brother's keeper, and remember those who live in stone houses shouldn't throw glass.

FUDU

Return to No Holds Barred