Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Best Films of 2010?

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Best Films of 2010?

Unread postby cozmeesah » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:35 am

No worries guys, no one's piling on. Different strokes for different folks. You guys thought it was horrible, I didn't. $250 million + worth says a lot agreed with me. Some things just aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Now, I am in no way saying Despicable Me is one of the best animated films of all time, not even close. But *I* personally found it enjoyable. Nowhere on the level of Pixar films or even HTTYD quality-wise. But I found more personal enjoyment with Despicable Me because the Minions pulled me in. :lmfao: They cracked me up.

However, I have now seen The King's Speech, 127 Hours, True Grit, The Fighter and The Town. Thought they were all wonderful.

So if I would actually rank all the 2010 films I saw, it'd be this. And this is all in how much enjoyment I personally got from each film. Not saying any are better or worse than the others:

1. (tie) The Social Network - my true #1
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - ties with TSN for my #1 love because of my fangirl love and because it's the best Potter yet, but #2 overall
3. Inception
4. Toy Story 3
5. The King's Speech
6. Black Swan
7. True Grit
8. 127 Hours
9. The Fighter
10. Despicable Me
11. Easy A
12. How To Train Your Dragon
13. The Town
14. Red
15. Shutter Island
16. The Kids Are All Right
17. Shrek Forever After
18. Tron: Legacy
19. Due Date
20. Alice in Wonderland
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:09 am

Harry Fucking Potter.
::doh::
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby DrPoove » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:33 pm

I heard Up in the Air was good, but that was so 2009...

:hide:

;-) ;) :wink:
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Up in the Air was average at best
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:23 pm

peeker643 wrote:I haven't seen a single film on Mitch's list.

Good God I need to find some time somewhere.

That's a haunting post given I've found a novel way to find a lot of time.

I've watched Winter's Bone, The Town and the Social Network from this year and found them all to be relatively meh.

The Town at least gave me a lot of violence.

Also tearing up the On Demand stuff for movies I've missed in the past year or two.

Brooklyn's Finest (not bad), Pride & Glory (not bad), and a bunch of other shit to pass the time at home.

Probably something else today. Can't be the The Girl Who flicks because subtitles make my head hurt worse and I'm finishing the third book in that series as we speak.

Not a sci-fi guy at all so not sure if Inception is my bag and read Shutter Island years ago so I can't see that either.

Is Inception worth the watch even for someone with a slight sci-fi bias (unless it involves Milla Jovovich ;-) ;) :wink: )
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:33 pm

The 5th Element was 5 shades of fantastic.

I'm so behind on my movie watching. I'm thinking of cancelling Netflix because I'm getting through about 1-2 movies every few months. I'm so backed up that half of the movies I get are already playing on HBO so it's a waste.

Stupid kid ruined everything.

I did catch She's Out Of My League and found it strangely hilarious.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:42 pm

motherscratcher wrote:The 5th Element was 5 shades of fantastic.

That is one of the gayest things ever said on these boards. Holy Shit........ that movie was fucking stupid. Stupid gay Chris Tucker, Pig Monster Aliens, and Gary Oldman not playing Stanfield. Milla Jovovich is ther only thing that is even worth moving my eyeballs to see. The rest sucks. You suck, pal.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

That is one of the gayest things ever said on these boards. Holy Shit........ that movie was fucking stupid. Stupid gay Chris Tucker, Pig Monster Aliens, and Gary Oldman not playing Stanfield. Milla Jovovich is ther only thing that is even worth moving my eyeballs to see. The rest sucks. You suck, pal.

Excuse me, 6 shades. One of the best movies ever.

And I've said WAY gayer things on this board.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:08 pm

There has yet to be a movie based on my life. (Shut up, Tripods....... stick My Giant and Billy Crystal right up your ass)
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:59 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:There has yet to be a movie based on my life. (Shut up, Tripods....... stick My Giant and Billy Crystal right up your ass)

I guess it isn't about your life per say, but weren't you the inspiration for Buddy Revell?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:07 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:There has yet to be a movie based on my life. (Shut up, Tripods....... stick My Giant and Billy Crystal right up your ass)

I guess it isn't about your life per say, but weren't you the inspiration for Buddy Revell?

I have no clue who that is.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:00 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Blasphemer. You wouldn't know a good movie if it broke into your house and shot you with your own handgun. I did see you in a movie a few years ago.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:20 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

Blasphemer. You wouldn't know a good movie if it broke into your house and shot you with your own handgun. I did see you in a movie a few years ago.

I met Matt McGrory. Really nice guy and like 8-9 inches taller than me.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:57 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

I have no clue who that is.

There's this thing called google on the interwebs.

Buddy Revell is a character in 3 O'Clock High. Some little dork gets himself in a situation where he is supposed to fight Buddy Revell in the parking lot after school. Buddy Revell is a hulking monstrosity of a badass mofo.

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Saw The Winter's Bone last night. Talk about dark and depressing. Above average flick ... cting was good, story was OK, film was worth the time investment ... 3.5 stars worth.

But I just don't see the Oscar Hype. It is the type of film the Oscars like to fawn all over while the Golden Globes ignores it though. Snooty Academy types like to send messages with films like this.

And I love dark, depressing films.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:55 pm

swerb wrote:Saw The Winter's Bone last night. Talk about dark and depressing. Above average flick ... cting was good, story was OK, film was worth the time investment ... 3.5 stars worth.

But I just don't see the Oscar Hype. It is the type of film the Oscars like to fawn all over while the Golden Globes ignores it though. Snooty Academy types like to send messages with films like this.

Watch 'The Road' with Viggo Mortensen?

That ought to be dark and depressing enough for you.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:21 pm

Saw True Grit on Friday- great, great movie. I liked it better than Inception, and way better than Winter's Bone and Shutter Island.

Hurt Locker last night- pretty good.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:26 am

peeker643 wrote:
swerb wrote:Saw The Winter's Bone last night. Talk about dark and depressing. Above average flick ... cting was good, story was OK, film was worth the time investment ... 3.5 stars worth.

I know Rich has already seen it, but Children of Men might be the most depressing movie I've ever seen.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:17 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

I know Rich has already seen it, but Children of Men might be the most depressing movie I've ever seen.

You're right about Children of Men. Pretty depressing. Good movie too.

But I'm with Peek. It's tough to think of a more depressing movie than The Road. It made me want to curl up in a dark corner and weep softly. The book even moreso than the movie.

As far as depressing it even surpasses Showgirls.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:55 pm

I haven't watched as many movies this past year, as I usually do. Just haven't had the time. This list encompasses the ones, that I have had the chance to view.

1. Inception- A multi layered masterpiece. A very thought provoking film, supported by flawless acting, and doesn't waste a second. I had to piss, about an hour and half into it and held it for the rest of the film. This is easily number one for me, and slips into my all time top ten flicks.

2. Exit through the gift shop- Bansky rules

3. Winters Bone- Gritty, believable, and heartfelt film.

4. The Social Network- I enjoyed it, and I am a fan of Jesse Eisenberg. It is not my favorite of the year, but I can't knock those that do. If this had been released last year, it would of easily been my favorite of the year.

5. Ghost Writer- I really enjoyed this one. One of those movies, where I had no expectations, and it kind of blew me away by how good it was. Kept me on the edge of my seat through out, and a lot of twists and turns, that for the most part were realistic.
6. Toy Story 3- Not big on Animation, but can't find fault with this one. Easily the best of the Toy Story movies IMO. I almost cried, but being with my sons, I fended the urge off.
7. Scott Pilgrim vs the World- Being a video game addict, I really enjoyed this one. I thought the whole approach was fresh and genius. I laughed a lot, and enjoyed the music as well. Time will treat this film better than the box office did IMO.
8. The Fighter- Christan Bale's performance, makes this movie worth watching. The rest is gravy.

9. Holy Rollers- I said, I was an Eisenberg fan. Based on a true events.

10. The American

Leader for 2011- Machete.
WarAdmiral

Unread postby hiko » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:18 pm

swerb wrote:And I love dark, depressing films.

Not me. Life's got enough of that without spending entertainment dollars on it.

Besides, after I hear my girlfriend's stories from her day at work (investigating neglect and abuse on children), it would be easier to get her to watch a movie about a hamster sleeping than get her to watch something that would further depress her.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:47 pm

hiko wrote:
swerb wrote:And I love dark, depressing films.

Not me. Life's got enough of that without spending entertainment dollars on it.

Besides, after I hear my girlfriend's stories from her day at work (investigating neglect and abuse on children), it would be easier to get her to watch a movie about a hamster sleeping than get her to watch something that would further depress her.

I agree...21 grams, requiem for a dream, mystic river, all great flicks that I would never watch again. Ever.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:53 pm

I've seen a few this year that are up for the big awards. My thoughts:

Inception-(7.5/10): Good, but not "greatest ever" as some have proclaimed. Very re-watchable. The kid from 3rd Rock was really good. Need to see it again.

True Grit-(8.5/10): Really enjoyed this one. Brolin and Pepper were great in their limited time on screen. Some dialogue seemed forced. Damon is really good, Bridges solid, girl excellent.

Black Swan-(8/10): Portman walks away with all the hardware for her acting in this one.

The Town-(8.5/10): Good flick. Right up my alley style wise. Jeremy Renner is a great in this as is Postlethwaite.

Catfish- (7/10): Meh. Well done, but the payoff wasn't as big as I'd hoped.

Toy Story 3- (8/10): Pretty damn good cartoon.

Funny thing is I think I let the hype for each and everyone of these movies affect my enjoyment of them. The only one I thought was better than the hype was The Town which had good early buzz but seemed to be generating negative reviews of late.

Haven't seen Social Network, The King's Speech, Winter's Bone, The Kid's Are Alright, A Serbian Film (just kidding) but I want to before the Oscars.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:08 pm

bucknutz94 wrote:I've seen a few this year that are up for the big awards. My thoughts:

Inception-(7.5/10): Good, but not "greatest ever" as some have proclaimed. Very re-watchable. The kid from 3rd Rock was really good. Need to see it again.

True Grit-(8.5/10): Really enjoyed this one. Brolin and Pepper were great in their limited time on screen. Some dialogue seemed forced. Damon is really good, Bridges solid, girl excellent.

Black Swan-(8/10): Portman walks away with all the hardware for her acting in this one.

The Town-(8.5/10): Good flick. Right up my alley style wise. Jeremy Renner is a great in this as is Postlethwaite.

Catfish- (7/10): Meh. Well done, but the payoff wasn't as big as I'd hoped.

Toy Story 3- (8/10): Pretty damn good cartoon.

Funny thing is I think I let the hype for each and everyone of these movies affect my enjoyment of them. The only one I thought was better than the hype was The Town which had good early buzz but seemed to be generating negative reviews of late.

Haven't seen Social Network, The King's Speech, Winter's Bone, The Kid's Are Alright, A Serbian Film (just kidding) but I want to before the Oscars.

Funny- I agree with almost all of that from the movies I've seen. And in the last three weeks I've a ton of them.

The Kids Are Alright was....umm... alright. Inception was good, not great. I thought The Town was a fun flick to watch.

Winter's Bone was okay as well but nothing I'd recommend someone must see. I thought The Road was actually better personally.

Social Network fits the same category for me.

Haven't seen True Grit, The King's Speech or others but I'm getting through some movies and books.

Killed all three 'Girl Who..' books and now getting through 'The Longest Winter: The Battle of the Bulge'

And I've watched 'Machete', the first 'Lord of the Rings' and the first two 'Resident Evil' flicks. How did I ever miss Milla Jovovich before? Good God.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:10 pm

Anyone seen The Ghost Writer? Just had that arrive from Netflix.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby mitch » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:16 pm

swerb wrote:Anyone seen The Ghost Writer? Just had that arrive from Netflix.

Very good flick. Just outside of my Top Ten.

Not what you'd expect. Don't want to get much more into it as to not spoil anything.
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:17 pm

mitch wrote:

Not what you'd expect. Don't want to get much more into it as to not spoil anything.

Even with Kim Cattral and Jim Belushi? ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mitch » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:09 pm

peeker643 wrote:
mitch wrote:

Even with Kim Cattral and Jim Belushi? ;-) ;) :wink:

Minor roles for both (especially Belushi, who just has one scene).

Both of them actually surprised me. Belushi looking like Michael Chiklis with his shaved head, and Cattral for once going back to her native English accent.
mitch

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:42 pm

Watched 'Red' last night. I went in expecting mindless violence and fun and got that plus John Malkovich in an excellent supporting role.

Not to mention I have a ridiculous crush on Mary Louise Parker from 'Weeds' and she basically played Nancy Botwin in this too.

Good cast, good (if but predictable) action flick.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mitch » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:16 pm

peeker643 wrote:Watched 'Red' last night. I went in expecting mindless violence and fun and got that plus John Malkovich in an excellent supporting role.

Not to mention I have a ridiculous crush on Mary Louise Parker from 'Weeds' and she basically played Nancy Botwin in this too.

Good cast, good (if but predictable) action flick.

Malkovich as a weapons loving lunatic and Helen Mirren firing off a 50 calibre in a fancy dress and combat boots. What's not to love?

Ditto on the Mary Louise Parker crush.
mitch

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:09 pm

The American (7.5/10):

Watched The American last night. Really enjoyed it, but I am sure many didn't. It is a slow, restrained, European style movie. If not for Clooney this would have been a small film that went under the radar. That said, it is neat to see Clooney actually act and not rely on his considerable charisma to carry a role. However, most folks probably expected a Jason Bourne type character (it reminded me of a role Steve McQueen would have played 40 years ago) and those expectations probably hurt the movie.

Interested to get other people's thoughts.

Oh, one more thing. There is some good T&A in the movie.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby waborat » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:19 pm

Gotta bump this as another 2+ months have gone by...

Mine so far:

1. Social Network (and I've never been on Facebook)
2. Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
3. Kid's Are Alright
4. Winter's Bone
5. Girl Who Played With Fire
6. Get Him To The Greek
7. Inception
8. The Town
9. Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest
10.The Ghost Writer

Most Disappointing: Shutter Island

Haven't seen The Fighter, Black Swan, 127 Hrs, King's Speech, true Grit, Fair Game
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:36 pm

^ You must have missed Fury Vengence and The Last Song.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby waborat » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Watched The Fighter last night, pretty good flick...

Great acting, just 3 minutes into it and there's no doubt Bale earned BSA...

Loved seeing Amy Adams in a different role as tough chick...

Watching the fight scenes was like viewing those old HBO broadcasts from the late 80s/early 90s...

The one downfall for me was it felt kinda like a made-for-tv story, as for other than the acting, it just didn't have any real panache...

With that said, it was still better than 90% of the bunk Hollywood makes
waborat

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:18 pm

Everyone needs to go watch 50 Dead Men Walking. Great story of a informant trying to get inside the IRA. Really goes to show how awful they were. (Unless you're they brainless piece of human shit Peter King)

Ben Kingsley is awesome.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:23 pm

waborat wrote:Watched The Fighter last night, pretty good flick...

Great acting, just 3 minutes into it and there's no doubt Bale earned BSA...

Loved seeing Amy Adams in a different role as tough chick...

Watching the fight scenes was like viewing those old HBO broadcasts from the late 80s/early 90s...

The one downfall for me was it felt kinda like a made-for-tv story, as for other than the acting, it just didn't have any real panache...

With that said, it was still better than 90% of the bunk Hollywood makes

Kinda reminded me of Jersey Shore - Italian Guidos + Black Irish + Damon / Ufflect-wanna be screenwriter + Crack head + Springer + Gloria James + post baby Amy Adams surprisingly hot in her underwear + so-so boxing scenes + Vince Papali.

I give it a B . Glad I rented it. Bale was great in his role.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby waborat » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:52 pm

jb wrote: Amy Adams surprisingly hot in her underwear

Chick's been movin up my fantasy-3sum list quicker than shrinkage in the pool...

Just got Fair Game for this weekend, what's everyone's opinion?
waborat

Unread postby mitch » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:20 pm

waborat wrote:

Chick's been movin up my fantasy-3sum list quicker than shrinkage in the pool...

Haven't watched it yet...but the buzz is that it's really good as a story...but it's not really the true story as they manufactured a lot of it. And I'm not talking "Dick Cheney said it's a lie, so I believe him" type of thing...I'm talking major changes in the events depicted in the book about Plame just for "drama".

I may be considered a lefty by most, but as most of you know, I can't stand "historical" movies that just make shit up and call it "history".
mitch

Unread postby waborat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:02 pm

mitch wrote:
waborat wrote:

Haven't watched it yet...but the buzz is that it's really good as a story...but it's not really the true story as they manufactured a lot of it. And I'm not talking "Dick Cheney said it's a lie, so I believe him" type of thing...I'm talking major changes in the events depicted in the book about Plame just for "drama".

I may be considered a lefty by most, but as most of you know, I can't stand "historical" movies that just make shit up and call it "history".

It was worth watching, but you'd get just as much excitement reading Wiki about the events that took place...

It wasn't as "left" as I woulda expected, except for the 2 minute Penn speech near the end...

Naomi Watts was able to keep my eyes on the screen throughout :thumb up:
waborat

Unread postby waborat » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:57 pm

127 Hours, good flick and told in a way I wasn't expecting...

Haven't seen King's Speech yet, but James Franco's performance was THE best I've seen in long time (yes, better than Bale's)
waborat

Unread postby waborat » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:14 pm

Black Swan? Let's see...

Carrie + Fight Club + White Nights + Sixth Sense + Bound...

Best parts: Nat's bun's up kneelin & Mila munching...

Pretty ridiculous after the 60 minute mark
waborat

Unread postby waborat » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:17 pm

Jackass 3, priceless as usual...

Maybe the best one yet?

Midgets 'n Tasers, oh yeah
waborat

Unread postby waborat » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:51 pm

After hearing 4 out 5 doctors recommend King's Speech for the past 4 months, I was pumped to check it out...

The scenes with Rush 'n Filth were oscar worthy, rest of the flick was kinda slow...

Best stutter since Mike Palin in Fish Called Wanda...

Actually liked SocNet & 127 better, where's True Grit already?
waborat

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture