Text Size

College Sports Arena

Who ya got in the MAC?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Who ya got in the MAC?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:59 pm

Kent State
67%
Miami
No votes
Akron
22%
Bowling Green
No votes
Buffalo
11%
Ball State
No votes
Western Michigan
No votes

Total votes : 9

Who ya got in the MAC?

Unread postby Spin » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:59 pm

Who do you have winning the MAC this year, and going to the Dance?
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Who ya got in the MAC?

Unread postby Spin » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:00 pm

Yeah I'm a homer and I'm a student, but it's hard to argue with the run the Zips have been on.

Peaking at the right time? Or blowing their wad in the regular season?
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:15 pm

Wow, lots of MAC Tourney interest here. LOL

Go Vikings!!! And I mean that from the bottom of my heart. Great program, had great times at their games. If they're not playing UAk, I'm behind them 100%.
Spin

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:46 pm

Kent got a big win over Buffalo last night. But I kind of like the Bulls, although they're a horrible free-throw shooting team.

As for Akron, they're on fire right now, but you know how crazy the MAC Tournament is. Whole new season.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Yeah, the MAC tournament is always wacky. FWIW, I like Kent coming out of it, but there's several teams that could realistically pull it off. I could see any team in the east, with the exception of BG, and WMU and Ball St. from the west.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Loo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:25 pm

Well, I typed this nice long response but the site made me log back in and it was deleted.

So, here's the Campbell's version:

Sometimes MAC talk gets grounded because people can't get out of their own way in rooting for their alma mater.

Kent State, then Buffalo, then Akron--Buffalo matches up really well against KSU, should they meet again. The Golden Flashes are dealing with an added game (rescheduled WMU on the road) and Coach Ford is having to change his rotations accordingly after playing (including today's game against Ohio) five games in 11 days. With rest and fresh legs, the Golden Flashes are the favorites.

Potentially the KSU AK game could be the game of the year (on ESPN2) and decide the regular season title if the Zips win out and KSU drops one of the next two.
Last edited by Loo on Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmm, this is, a tasty burger!
Loo

Favorite Player: Josh Willingham
Least Favorite Player: Josh Willingham

Unread postby mikeperry » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:39 pm

I agree with Herman, and like Buffalo as well. When it comes to tournament basketball, solid and experienced guards are the most valuable weapons in a coaches arsenal. And I don't think anyone in the conference can do better than Filzen and Mulkey. And I really like the McCrea kid's game.
Crush, Kill, Destroy!
-Phil Taylor
mikeperry

Favorite Player: Eric Davis
Least Favorite Player: PK Subban

Unread postby Spin » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:43 pm

Ohio beat Kent tonight in OT, so those first round byes could be anyone's.
Spin

Unread postby Loo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:12 pm

How KSU battled back in the second half of a game down by 21 in the fifth game in 11 days is beyond me.
Loo

Unread postby mikeperry » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Loo wrote:How KSU battled back in the second half of a game down by 21 in the fifth game in 11 days is beyond me.

Probably because Kent is very talented and when its shooters get on a roll can score points in big, big bunches. But that is admirable that they were able to come back after playing that many games in 11 days. This is yet another reason I hate the Bracket Buster games, Kent had to go to Philly to play in a meaningless game, then fight through fatigue in games that mean everything. Stupid, stupid Bracket Buster.
Crush, Kill, Destroy!
-Phil Taylor
mikeperry

Favorite Player: Eric Davis
Least Favorite Player: PK Subban

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:57 am

Kent now has 20 wins in 12 of the last 13 seasons dating back to 1998-99. That's impressive, I don't care who you are.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Spin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:52 pm

Ak drive me up the freakin wall. Every now and then they don't show up. At all. Man they got smoked by Ohio last night. The starting guards had one point between them when I turned it off. It hasn't happened in the tourney yet, but it could. It's so hard to lay money on them.

Depending on Friday's game, I gotta go with Can't.
Spin

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:52 pm

I have no horse in the MAC race, but I can't wait for the tournament. Last year's championship game was the most fun I've ever had at a basketball game (that didn't involve my team).

The energy in the Q was amazing.

As for this year, I like Kent or Buffalo, but you can't count out Ohio after they came out of nowhere last year and seem to be getting hot again this year.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:23 am

Suck it Spin! Akron got owned again!
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Spin » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Suck it Spin! Akron got owned again!

Easy killer, does January 8 on our court ring a bell?

Let's see what happens in Ctown...
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:18 pm

The bracket is out http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... tournament

Anyone care to, awww screw it. Same old MAC. No clear-cut favorites, nobody head and shoulders above the rest. Same in football. Which hurts the conference. You beat each other up all season, while Big Ten, Big Easy, even the Horizon have dominant teams at the top, and MAC-quality teams at the bottom. Nobody goes anywhere, just stuck in the mud. Football, basketball. Especially basketball.

Nobody's going anywhere. :bag:
Spin

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:31 pm

Probably Buffalo in the quarterfinals and probably OU in the semis, if Kent gets that far. Shit. Those are the teams I'm most concerned with.

At least Kent has that automatic NIT bid in its back pocket. :bunny:
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:45 am

Spin wrote:The bracket is out http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... tournament

Anyone care to, awww screw it. Same old MAC. No clear-cut favorites, nobody head and shoulders above the rest.

Said by the "baksteball school fan" about the first school in 48 years to win b2b conference titles outright and have 11 twenty win seasons in 12 years. Total parity, eh?

:tool: <- as an Akron fan with your negative bias about KSU

Kent will win the conference tourney and go onto the big tourney. Then have no shot at a title. Because the MAC is what it is; as are all mid-majors. Butlers run last year was once in a generation. You have to go back to Larry legend and then fo someone who actually won it go way back to Marquette in the late 70's or Loyola punking Big O in the mezzazoic era for a similar comparison.

As for how the mAC tourney will end? You'll run stupid anti-Kent smack this week, whine and squeel like you do above to EW after the inevital pimp slap, and then pount and you'll like it.

Then post some stupid shit about soccer.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:12 pm

jb wrote:As for how the mAC tourney will end? You'll run stupid anti-Kent smack this week, whine and squeel like you do above to EW after the inevital pimp slap, and then pount and you'll like it..

best smack I ever saw to kent from akron fan was a group of frat boys walking around Dix singing that CSN&Y song. bit dated though. Kent students were too apathetic to give a crap though. of course akron got beat that afternoon per the norm.

btw, gotta favor Mark Morrison in this fwiw.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Rally Squirl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:58 pm

kent state to take the MAC title.....why? cuz i went there and i say so :P
(yes I know......i spelled "squirrel" wrong :P)
Rally Squirl

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:39 pm

NIU, Akron, Buffalo, Ohio win the opening round games.

WMU beats NIU, Akron beats Miami, Buffalo beats Kent, Ohio beats Ball St.

Akron beats WMU, Ohio beats Buffalo

Akron beats Ohio
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Spin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:10 am

jb wrote:
Spin wrote:The bracket is out http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... tournament

Anyone care to, awww screw it. Same old MAC. No clear-cut favorites, nobody head and shoulders above the rest.

Said by the "baksteball school fan" about the first school in 48 years to win b2b conference titles outright and have 11 twenty win seasons in 12 years. Total parity, eh?

:tool: <- as an Akron fan with your negative bias about KSU

Kent will win the conference tourney and go onto the big tourney. Then have no shot at a title. Because the MAC is what it is; as are all mid-majors. Butlers run last year was once in a generation. You have to go back to Larry legend and then fo someone who actually won it go way back to Marquette in the late 70's or Loyola punking Big O in the mezzazoic era for a similar comparison.

As for how the mAC tourney will end? You'll run stupid anti-Kent smack this week, whine and squeel like you do above to EW after the inevital pimp slap, and then pount and you'll like it.

Then post some stupid shit about soccer.

I guess you missed the post where I trashed the Zips basketball team. And no, I'm not handing the trophy to Kent just yet. They lost a roadie to Buffalo by 25, and only beat them by 3 at home. I like Buffalo's style against Kent. Not that Kent isn't one of maybe 3 favorites to win it, but having Buffalo on their side of the bracket is gonna be trouble.

Although it is hard to pass up laying cash on Ohio at 25/1...

MY negative bias? Then you take a shot at our national title? Does Kent still play soccer? Or are they still waiting for the one ball to blow down off the roof? Can't keep dem dern boys from picking up the ball huh? Them farm boys just don't quite get the world's game Really, if you look off campus, you can find uniform shops that can spell names longer than five letters. So how is Kent's hoops attendance? Better than Akron's soccer team? Think the Flushes are going to have five players taken in the first round this year? Hell, think you'll have seven players go pro in ALL sports this year? THAT I want to see...
Spin

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:30 am

Heh.

That's precisely the kind of lame shit I anticipated.

This is America. No one gives two shits about NCAA soccer. I hope Akron reals off 26 consecutive titles and the team winds up on the Mt Rushmore of NCAA soccer. It doesn't mean a thing.

Kent is gonna punk you in one of the 2 sports that matters. Again.

Deal with it. (to coin a phrase)

And recognize one of the best, if not the best, decade long runs in MAC baskerball history for what it is without the snotty qualifiers. Just STFU about futbul and offer your proppers.

This should be pretty easy, since you did attend a "basketball school". Chortle.
jb

Unread postby Spin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:07 pm

Too bad you missed the meat of the post, and went right to what you're looking to do, thumping chests over schools. That's alright, if that's all you wanna do, just say so.

Maybe one day you'll take in a game of NCAA futbol, I'll buy your tick to OSU next season. Then you can see what REAL MAC attendance is. Without the clever marketing. Hell if they tried one of those catch phrases, "Everyone Counts (and nose thar ABC's reel gud two") they would have to take over the Info. And I hope they win 26 in a row too, cuz that's the only 26 national championships a MAC team is going to win.

Just don't count your paycheck on the Flushes before the money's in the bank. The tourney hasn't even started yet, and they lost a LOT of games against the other contenders...
Spin

Unread postby Loo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:33 pm

Putting myself under the guillotine with this tournament. Anyone care to join?

Taking BG, Akron, Buffalo and Ohio tonight.

Quarter--WMU over BG, Miami over Akron, Buffalo over KSU, Ohio over Ball State
Semis--Miami over WMU, Ohio over Buffalo
Finals--Ohio over Miami

Buffalo matches up so well against KSU, not sure Kent can compete with the Bulls inside. Miami v. Akron should be a great game as well but AK is so inconsistent. If Central somehow pulls off the upset tonight I'd have KSU beating OU and Miami for the title. Facing BUF was a worst-case scenario.

Once again, Ohio is hot at the right time.
Loo

Unread postby Spin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:59 pm

Loo wrote:Putting myself under the guillotine with this tournament. Anyone care to join?

Taking BG, Akron, Buffalo and Ohio tonight.

Quarter--WMU over BG, Miami over Akron, Buffalo over KSU, Ohio over Ball State
Semis--Miami over WMU, Ohio over Buffalo
Finals--Ohio over Miami

Buffalo matches up so well against KSU, not sure Kent can compete with the Bulls inside. Miami v. Akron should be a great game as well but AK is so inconsistent. If Central somehow pulls off the upset tonight I'd have KSU beating OU and Miami for the title. Facing BUF was a worst-case scenario.

Once again, Ohio is hot at the right time.

Ohio is sitting at 25:1, think I'll take that bet. Kent has played like shit outside the MAC Center this year (even losing in lowly Akron!!!). Buffalo's gonna beat the hell out of them again, especially up front. And 25:1 is too sweet to pass up.

Ohio looks to have the easiest path to the finals too.
:pop:
Last edited by Spin on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spin

Unread postby Loo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:07 pm

Well, first, I really like SEVEN teams who honestly probably have a great shot at winning it all.

[EDIT] Took this part out because Spin edited his post as well.

From what I've seen and heard, Buffalo may be able to overpower KSU in the end of a very, very close game.

If KSU can win that game, I don't really think anyone else can match up to them except maybe Ohio, in which case I'd probably take Kent over Ohio.

By the way when they lost at Akron they were without Guyton and were in the worst stretch of the entire season. The Zips caught KSU at the right time.

When talking about Ohio's path to the finals, you sound like Rhoda...that's not a good thing.
Loo

Unread postby Spin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:08 am

Loo wrote:When talking about Ohio's path to the finals, you sound like Rhoda...that's not a good thing.

He must use the same scouting site.

If not, even a broken clock is right twice a day. LOL
Spin

Unread postby scott » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:07 am

KSU over Akron or Miami in the finals. The East has been dominant all year and that shouldn't change. Miami-Akron is probably too close to call but Akron has the slight edge as the healthier team.

If Miami hadn't lost Ballard this would be KSU-Miami.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:08 am

Kent did indeed get their 90k last year.

Wasn't Akron's attendence lousy If I can recall?

Apathy U. is our name.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Spin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:55 pm

Triple-S wrote:Kent did indeed get their 90k last year.

Wasn't Akron's attendence lousy If I can recall?

Apathy U. is our name.

Understandably so, with our current coach.

1-11 isn't going to fill many stadiums anywhere.
Spin

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:34 pm

So much for Buffalo's match-up advantages. Kent is in the semifinals.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:49 am

hermanfontenot wrote:So much for Buffalo's match-up advantages. Kent is in the semifinals.

Bulls. Boom. Roasted.

It's what's for dinner.

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeext!

Glad unathletic Akron held on and got lucky that the Redskins couldn't shoot free throws better than St Hillary's 6th grade girls. I want to see Spin squirm yet again and read more stupid quotes from Dambot.

Then again, it the Flayshes don't start hitting some J's and FT's of their own, they may get knocked off. What a freaking relentless group though. Kent basketball really has kept that brand that Waters started years ago.

McRae is gonna be beastie for the next 3 seasons though. Next Gary Trent.
jb

Unread postby Loo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:38 pm

McCrea ripped KSU to shreds as expected.

Perimeter D rendered everyone else a non-factor. KSU looked about as good offensively in the first half as they have all season.

Odds are good for a KSU-Akron title game--although since I'm saying it, Ball State probably wins tonight.

Only 12 teams and I haven't seen a perfect bracket yet. 0-5 from the ones I've seen.
Loo

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:57 pm

Akron's in the process of pissing away a 15 point lead with 8 minutes left. WMU has cut it o 6 and has the ball.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Spin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:58 pm

Listening to Hammer call a basketball game is probably the worst thing I have experienced in my life.

And that includes 23 years in fire/EMS...

The alternative is Rag-guy on the tube. Anyone got some tooth picks I can drive under my nails?
Spin

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:02 pm

Huge Akron 3-ptr as shot clock winds down with 1:30 to play and then a mini-fight here at The Q between PGs. Two midgets squaring up and shoving. Good times. They're sucking up my time figuring out the techs and ejections.

ETA- WMU PG actually head-butted the kid from Akron. That got him tossed.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Squints » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:03 pm

Is Reghi calling the final, if Kent plays Akron I would consider driving in for that game just so i wouldn't have to listen to him.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Squints wrote:Is Reghi calling the final, if Kent plays Akron I would consider driving in for that game just so i wouldn't have to listen to him.

Yep- he and Steve Mix. Whatever you do don't turn on the radio. The 'KNR crew have all been doing games and it's a garden rake on a chalkboard and chewing tinfoil miserable.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Spin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:10 pm

jb wrote:
hermanfontenot wrote:So much for Buffalo's match-up advantages. Kent is in the semifinals.

Bulls. Boom. Roasted.

It's what's for dinner.

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeext!

Glad unathletic Akron held on and got lucky that the Redskins couldn't shoot free throws better than St Hillary's 6th grade girls. I want to see Spin squirm yet again and read more stupid quotes from Dambot.

Then again, it the Flayshes don't start hitting some J's and FT's of their own, they may get knocked off. What a freaking relentless group though. Kent basketball really has kept that brand that Waters started years ago.

McRae is gonna be beastie for the next 3 seasons though. Next Gary Trent.

WHO has the most experience in the finals among the current rosters? :dingle:
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 pm

Does the MAC even PAY these officials???

Every game is a FUBAR.
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:23 pm

Bring on the Flushes...
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:26 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Squints wrote:Is Reghi calling the final, if Kent plays Akron I would consider driving in for that game just so i wouldn't have to listen to him.

Yep- he and Steve Mix. Whatever you do don't turn on the radio. The 'KNR crew have all been doing games and it's a garden rake on a chalkboard and chewing tinfoil miserable.

Rizzo sounds like he's been slamming a shot glass all night.
Spin

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:05 pm

I think Randall Holt stole the shoes outta JJ Hickson's locker.

Kent's guards are ridiculously quick and Porrini ain't missing any open men.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:26 pm

Holy shit. You guys should see the Ball State Dance Team. You wouldn't see a routine like this in a strip club.

And the Kent girls look like the Ingalls sister after the BSU chicks and they got boo'd badly.

Like to see what the BSU girls would wear if they made the big tourney. Might dance to Flo Rida in pasties and g-strings.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:56 pm

Porrini is a stud. Reminds me a little of Demetric Shaw (obligatory 1999-2002 shout-out.)

Wonder if Parris McCurdy and Curtis Kidd are tuning into this one.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:01 am

hermanfontenot wrote:Porrini is a stud. Reminds me a little of Demetric Shaw (obligatory 1999-2002 shout-out.)

Wonder if Parris McCurdy and Curtis Kidd are tuning into this one.

Josh Cribbs is here. I don't know what McCurdy and Kidd look like. ;-) ;) :wink:

Telling ya guys, this Ball State Dance Team is more entertaining the Cavs or this basketball game. Not that great looking but they look like they aim to please.

KSU has a nice mix. Manns & Greene have size and some skill and Porrini and Holt are a headache.

They should be up 10-12 in this at the half though. BSU hitting enough shots to hang around.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:05 am

Flashes are going to win tomorrow night and go back to the Dance. Akron can't hang. You heard it here first.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:31 am

hermanfontenot wrote:Flashes are going to win tomorrow night and go back to the Dance. Akron can't hang. You heard it here first.

Actually I heard it down there 300 times too.

But I agree. I like Kent in that game and I have no dog in the fight.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Spin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:32 am

Akron has the experience (the red shirted freshmen are in their fifth final), and find ways to pull it out (winning in 2OT with all three big men FO). That also means their window is closing, losing 4 seniors and a junior (probably headed home to play pro in Serbia). Marshall is probably a year away, Euton is at least a year away. Abreau has some rough edges. 2011-12 is a retooling year for the Zips (in practically every sport).

The teams split the season series, Akron winning 65-62 in Akron, Kent winning 79-68 in Kent. Kent had key players missing in the first game, but Akron usually has key players in foul trouble. Zeke has a bullseye on his back, once called for two fouls in the first minute of the game.

Kent should have this one wrapped up, but you just never know with this Zips team. :pop:
Spin

Next

Return to College Sports Arena