Text Size

College Sports Arena

Buckeyes-Hoosiers or 'Hello Deshaun Thomas'

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Buckeyes-Hoosiers or 'Hello Deshaun Thomas'

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:01 pm

Dude steps in when Sullinger gets in early foul trouble and goes off.

6/7 from the floor, 2/3 from deep. 16 points and 4 boards in the first half. Sullinger played about 4 minutes.

38-23 at the half.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Buckeyes-Hoosiers or 'Hello Deshaun Thomas'

Unread postby furls » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:37 pm

This is one of the really nice developments for the 2011-12 Buckeyes. I am pretty sure that most of us thought that Sullinger and Thomas were immediate impact guys, but I think what is really nice here is that we are seeing how good Thomas can be for the Bucks next year. How great would it be for our Bucks to have a national level recruit play more than one year. Next year's team looks like it could be pretty good.

I bear very little hope that Sully will be back, but next year's team would return a nice core with Craft, Thomas, Smith and Sibert. They have some pretty good players in the 2011 class (Amir Williams and Shannon Scott and LaQuinton Ross) that could make an immediate impact. craft is the kind of guy that I could see leading the Bucks to a National Championship, the question is whether the pieces will be there.

I dare to dream that someone will get in Buford's ear and tell him that if he comes back next year he could potentially move into the lottery picks (I think without Diebler's touches he could).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Funny you should say that about Buford being a potential lottery pick, Furls, because I have been thinking in recent weeks that he could have that potential...maybe even this year, in a weak draft.

I don't think it's a done deal that Sully will leave...probably a better bet that Buford will.

There's been a lot of talk on the Scout boards about the possibility that Lighty might have more of a future as an NFL WR than as an NBA player. Even if it's nonsense on stilts, it's fun to talk about....What do you guys think?
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:02 am

danwismar wrote:Funny you should say that about Buford being a potential lottery pick, Furls, because I have been thinking in recent weeks that he could have that potential...maybe even this year, in a weak draft.

I don't think it's a done deal that Sully will leave...probably a better bet that Buford will.

There's been a lot of talk on the Scout boards about the possibility that Lighty might have more of a future as an NFL WR than as an NBA player. Even if it's nonsense on stilts, it's fun to talk about....What do you guys think?

Dude's been hurt an awful lot. Do you know what the injuries were offhand and how significant they were? It was a foot injury and maybe more than one. But I don't remember if there was surgery.

Dude is all kinds of athletic if healthy. I've learned never to say never but the injuries and the fact he's been at Ohio State for like 9 years may make people leery. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:33 am

Can Lighty be the next CBB player to become a NFL TE? His athleticism, while slightly above average as a BBall player, would be pretty damn high for a TE. If he is really 6'5" and 220 lbs like his bio says I think he has a shot. I can see him putting on another 10-20 lbs once he starts training specifically for football.

Interesting thought.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:48 pm

Think how much more valuable and dangerous he could be as a WR at 6' 5", 220.

He's fast enough, and he's got amazing ups.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Sheesh I could have sworn his freshman year he also was on the football team as a TE. I realize that was 9 years ago, so I am willing to give myself a pass but I am not sure why I thought he played football that first year. Not even close.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:43 pm

I think you have to go all the way back to Ricky Dudley to find a guy who did that...you know...like one year before Lighty was a freshman.

danwismar

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:44 pm

danwismar wrote:I think you have to go all the way back to Ricky Dudley to find a guy who did that...you know...like one year before Lighty was a freshman.

I remember Nate Salley was a part of the basketball team as a freshman, although he rarely played.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:53 pm

neoleo wrote:
danwismar wrote:I think you have to go all the way back to Ricky Dudley to find a guy who did that...you know...like one year before Lighty was a freshman.

I remember Nate Salley was a part of the basketball team as a freshman, although he rarely played.

I'm a lot older than you. I remember Art Schlichter on the OSU hoops team. Like Salley he rarely played.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:17 am

peeker643 wrote:I've learned never to say never but the injuries and the fact he's been at Ohio State for like 9 years may make people leery. ;-) ;) :wink:

Just because he roomed with Granville Waiters as a freshman doesn't mean Lighty has been at Ohio State for a long time.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Return to College Sports Arena