Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Cam Newton at the Combine

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Cam Newton at the Combine

Unread postby diminishingskills » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:29 am

Somebody had to have noticed this write-up about Cam's shaky Combine performance:

Newton, on the other hand, just threw the brakes on the notion of him taking an express trip to the top of the draft, spraying the ball around Lucas Oil Stadium like Brady Quinn on a windy day in Cleveland.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/02/27/sunday.snaps/index.html?eref=sihp

So not only did SoulDawg's boi look bad, but the writer compared him to the one QB who can actually make SD's veins explode. If I didn't know better, I'd say Banks reads this forum...

(ETA: I don't want this to become another multiple-page Newton jihad, pro or con. Just found it interesting that the writer mentioned Newton and BQ in the same sentence.)
If it flies, floats, or fornicates, always rent it -- it's cheaper in the long run.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Favorite Player: Those who try
Least Favorite Player: Those who don't

Re: Cam Newton at the Combine

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:30 am

diminishingskills wrote:Somebody had to have noticed this write-up about Cam's shaky Combine performance:

Newton, on the other hand, just threw the brakes on the notion of him taking an express trip to the top of the draft, spraying the ball around Lucas Oil Stadium like Brady Quinn on a windy day in Cleveland.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/02/27/sunday.snaps/index.html?eref=sihp

So not only did SoulDawg's boi look bad, but the writer compared him to the one QB who can actually make SD's veins explode. If I didn't know better, I'd say Banks reads this forum...

(ETA: I don't want this to become another multiple-page Newton jihad, pro or con. Just found it interesting that the writer mentioned Newton and BQ in the same sentence.)

Commentators on nfl network were very forgiving. Context to combine is always needed. One dif is Can is Teabow raw while BQ was sold as nfl ready from fat charlie.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby noles1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Huge amount of risk with Cam and the accuracy issues.

He is basically throwing passes he has never thrown before and admitted as much. The upside is there, no question, but anyone that take Newton has to appreciate the "bust" potential.

Personally, I'm not too much of a fan of Newton in this draft. He'd be best served to sit for a couple years but there is no way in hell whoever drafts him has that kind of patience.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:06 pm

noles1 wrote:Huge amount of risk with Cam and the accuracy issues.

He is basically throwing passes he has never thrown before and admitted as much. The upside is there, no question, but anyone that take Newton has to appreciate the "bust" potential.

Personally, I'm not too much of a fan of Newton in this draft. He'd be best served to sit for a couple years but there is no way in hell whoever drafts him has that kind of patience.

SD:

Perfect scenario here with the Browns .

Colt starts does his best , while Newton waits and learns .

Gravity will sort it out.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:50 am

diminishingskills wrote:Somebody had to have noticed this write-up about Cam's shaky Combine performance:

Newton, on the other hand, just threw the brakes on the notion of him taking an express trip to the top of the draft, spraying the ball around Lucas Oil Stadium like Colt McCoy on a windy day in Cleveland.

Fixed :hide:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:03 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

Locker will be a better Pro QB than Cam Newton

Remember I said this and archive it so that 2-3 yrs from now when I beat you over the head with it it won't come as a surprise

Baba Fats had you in mind when he said this:

"Okay...okay," says Baba Fats, "You're forcin' it outta me... There is a land beyond the sun that's known as Zabolee. A wretched land of stone and sand, where snakes and buzzards scream, And in this devil's garden blooms the mystic Tzutzu tree.

Now, once every ten years it blooms one flower, as white as the Key West sky,
And he who eats of the Tzutzu flower shall know the perfect high. For the rush comes on like a tidal wave...hits like the blazin' sun. And the high? It lasts forever, and the down don't never come.

But, Zabolee Land is ruled by a giant, who stands twelve cubits high, And with eyes of red in his hundred heads, he awaits the passer-by. And you must slay the red-eyed giant, and swim the river of slime, Where the mucous beasts await to feast on those who journey by. And if you slay the giant and beasts, and swim the slimy sea, There's a blood-drinking witch who sharpens her teeth as she guards the Tzutzu tree."

"Well, to hell with your witches and giants," says Roy, "To hell with the beasts of the sea--
Why, as long as the Tzutzu flower still blooms, hope still blooms for me."
And with tears of joy in his sun-blind eyes, he slips the guru a five, And crawls back down the mountainside, pursuing the perfect high.

"Well, that is that," says Baba Fats, sitting back down on his stone, Facing another thousand years of talking to God, alone. "Yes, Lord, it's always the same...old men or bright-eyed youth... It's always easier to sell 'em some shit than it is to tell them the truth."
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

Remember I said this and archive it so that 2-3 yrs from now when I beat you over the head with it it won't come as a surprise

"Okay...okay," says Baba Fats, "You're forcin' it outta me... There is a land beyond the sun that's known as Zabolee. A wretched land of stone and sand, where snakes and buzzards scream, And in this devil's garden blooms the mystic Tzutzu tree.

And he who eats of the Tzutzu flower shall know the perfect high. For the rush comes on like a tidal wave...hits like the blazin' sun. And the high? It lasts forever, and the down don't never come.

But, Zabolee Land is ruled by a giant, who stands twelve cubits high, And with eyes of red in his hundred heads, he awaits the passer-by. And you must slay the red-eyed giant, and swim the river of slime, Where the mucous beasts await to feast on those who journey by. And if you slay the giant and beasts, and swim the slimy sea, There's a blood-drinking witch who sharpens her teeth as she guards the Tzutzu tree."

"Well, to hell with your witches and giants," says Roy, "To hell with the beasts of the sea--
And with tears of joy in his sun-blind eyes, he slips the guru a five, And crawls back down the mountainside, pursuing the perfect high.

"Well, that is that," says Baba Fats, sitting back down on his stone, Facing another thousand years of talking to God, alone. "Yes, Lord, it's always the same...old men or bright-eyed youth... It's always easier to sell 'em some shit than it is to tell them the truth."

If ya don't like Cam, how can ya like Locker?

They've got the same problems.

Accuracy and recognition trump arm strength (provided you meet the minumum) all day, every day.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:56 am

Just giving SD something to blow a gasket over so he can remind us again how many times he's been right about projecting success and failure of QB's

...and everyone else for that matter since not one person here actually has a clue of who will become successful at the NFL level
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Calis32 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:33 am

Drafting a QB from a weak class while passing on DL & WR from a deep and talented class was the old regime's MO. I thought the Browns had moved passed that.
Phil Taylor blocked me for telling him to get to training camp. F*** that guy.
Calis32

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:57 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

SD:

You know what FMR , if you keep Fuckin with me , your going to grow up a lot faster than you thought , and you might learn sumpthin in the process.

Unlike you and others , I don't go slobberin like Pavlov's dog hearng the dinner bell , whem some fool chums the waters.

You said all that crap for a joke , but too many NFL types think just like ya , hoping they can make something out of the pretty boiy , who has all the looks and measurables but really can't fuckin play .

Hope that ain't us .

On Newton , kid has smoked the competition on every level of play , so projecting he's a failure knowing he needs time and coaching as all do who go to this next level is not only disengeniuos , but narrow minded and stoopid.

But thats you . and I'm glad it ain't me.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:07 am

But he jumped high and ran fast.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:44 am

skatingtripods wrote:But he jumped high and ran fast.

Yep and he was pretty doing it so very very pretty.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:12 pm

A team's willingness to draft Newton is, I would think, directly proportional to their appetite for risk. The guy has, IMO, the highest ceiling of any QB in this draft. By far. He also has a pretty deep basement as well - meaning his upside is huge, but there exists a risk that if he does not significantly improve you end up with trying to move him to TE in 3 years or making him your wildcat QB.

All of the other factors (interviews, laptops in Gainesville, MSU, Pop's church....) are really non factors, IMO. Can the kid read a defense and is he coachable enough to sit and learn for a couple of years? Normally I would think 14 games is not enough to deteremine a college QBs future NFL possibilities, but I really don't see what staying another year would have done for Newton. The kid needs NFL coaching asap. The irony, though, of not playing another year for Auburn means he gets drafted in the top 10 and thus signs a $60M+ deal with huge guarenteed money - which means a lot of teams are not going to want him trying to run over linebackers on 3rd and 5. That would be my biggest concern post draft - most teams will try and make the kid a pocket passer and ruin the most dangerous part of his game.

If there is a rookie wage scale in the new CBA, does that make QBs like Cam Newton more draftable - as there is less monetary risk of a bust for the team?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:37 pm

mattvan1 wrote:A team's willingness to draft Newton is, I would think, directly proportional to their appetite for risk. The guy has, IMO, the highest ceiling of any QB in this draft. By far. He also has a pretty deep basement as well - meaning his upside is huge, but there exists a risk that if he does not significantly improve you end up with trying to move him to TE in 3 years or making him your wildcat QB.

All of the other factors (interviews, laptops in Gainesville, MSU, Pop's church....) are really non factors, IMO. Can the kid read a defense and is he coachable enough to sit and learn for a couple of years? Normally I would think 14 games is not enough to deteremine a college QBs future NFL possibilities, but I really don't see what staying another year would have done for Newton. The kid needs NFL coaching asap. The irony, though, of not playing another year for Auburn means he gets drafted in the top 10 and thus signs a $60M+ deal with huge guarenteed money - which means a lot of teams are not going to want him trying to run over linebackers on 3rd and 5. That would be my biggest concern post draft - most teams will try and make the kid a pocket passer and ruin the most dangerous part of his game.

If there is a rookie wage scale in the new CBA, does that make QBs like Cam Newton more draftable - as there is less monetary risk of a bust for the team?

SD:

Yes its a point both JB and myself have touched upon , and there is an in depth response between me Jcoz and others over the CBA making trades in the first early more of a possibility this year with pros and cons both ways .

We haven't fielded the best athlete on the field on either side of the ball since the days of jim Brown and otto Graham .

the days when we used to be perrennial winners ....maybe there's a correlation ....ya think ?

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby hiko » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:47 pm

Newton's potential is indeed enticing.

If I were Tom Heckert, I'd be desperately hoping that someone took Newton before 6 so that To Take or Not To Take wasn't even a question.

In all fairness, I think that it makes sense to give Colt McCoy an offseason and an entire year as starter to see if he can be Brees Jr., but my gut warns me that he's a QB whose ceiling is only so high, even in a perfect situation (far from what we have here).
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL