Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Kanter

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Kanter

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:35 pm

I'll take this guy:

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf ... _wa_1.html

Check the video and keep in mind he's 17 years old when this game was played. Imagine how good he'll be when he's 21.

Getting Kantor would set up a three-man rotation with Hickson, Andy, and Kantor splitting the minutes at center and power forward. Or Hickson could be dealt for a 3 or a 2 that can score.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Re: Kantor

Unread postby papacass » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:55 pm

If you draft Kanter, you probably want him to stay over in Turkey for a while and get some more experience.

He also has a history of knee problems at age 18. Not a good sign. Still, he's probably the best interior prospect eligible for the draft, and the only center you'd even consider taking with a top 10 pick. Which shows you the poo-poo platter the Cavs might have to make their two selections from in June.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Re: Kanter

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:28 pm

You should watch the video OJ keeps posting of Kanter literally pissing on Sullinger at one point during the Nike Challenge.

He's a real target with our second pick.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:48 pm

Mind you Sullinger got his in that game (as e0 reminds me when I start going bandwagon), but Kanter has a polished post game, and just enough athleticism to run trailer on a fast break. IOW, him plus a defensive minded big may be your starting front line. If Andy had a respectable 15 footer, I could see both being on the court. Andy has enough lateral quickness to make up for Kanter, and Kanter enough bulk and tougness to help Andy.

Have to get a legit size. I've seen everything from 6'8" to 6'10". Still very young (19 yrs old). Biggest question is lack of tape. F'ing NCAA. Although may be a favor given he is still sniffing top 5.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/enes-kanter
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Enes-Kanter-5168/
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby papacass » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:30 pm

I'd take a shot on Kanter, but I just wonder about his lack of mobility and knee problems conspiring to turn him into Frankenstein by the time he's 26. It wouldn't preclude me from drafting him in the 5-10 range, but it's a risky pick at a place where you're ostensibly drafting a major building block for the future.

Of course, what pick isn't risky in this draft?
papacass

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:43 pm

^ 100%. Can't say it enough, Cavs really got double stymied by losing their franchise when they did last summer. Not a lot of room for error right now so IMO you almost have to pass on him due to the knee risks if you know you can get a guy that will actually play (regardless of the ultimate ceiling v Kanter).
Last edited by FUDU on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:21 pm

"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:46 pm

Orenthal wrote:http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2011/02/cleveland_cavaliers_lottery_wa_1.html

Let me know when Mary Schmidt Boyer weighs in with her scouting report.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby JJN » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:46 pm

Orenthal, thank you for adding something that wasn't in the OP. ::doh::
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:51 pm

Damn my balls are getting busted all over the place. Let me formally apologize for wasting the couple of seconds clicking that link cost you. Also sorry Pros that I skim over your posts, and missed that.
Orenthal

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:02 pm

Orenthal wrote:Damn my balls are getting busted all over the place. Let me formally apologize for wasting the couple of seconds clicking that link cost you. Also sorry Pros that I skim over your posts, and missed that.

No problem, Juice, I skim over yours, too. Love the avatar, though.

Interesting Lubinger didn't mention a knee problem and claims that "draft services" say he's a top four pick. Is he uninformed about the knee problem or is it no longer an issue?
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:50 am

IMO, that bridge will be crossed when they teams start doing their individual workouts. Best you can come up with on the net is he had problems in both knees. The fact I haven't seen him fall below 6th, muct mean it isn't Powe'esque. Who btw was picked 49th.
Orenthal

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:11 pm

This year, in these circumstances, this is the type of player you HAVE to draft.

I like his size and the way he keep sthe ball high. Like his positioning. Seems like a plodder with no hops tho.

In my extensive viewing.... :dingle:
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JJN » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:43 pm

Orenthal wrote:Damn my balls are getting busted all over the place. Let me formally apologize for wasting the couple of seconds clicking that link cost you.

Apology accepted.

This draft is pretty packed at the top with big men, which hurts us a little because our wings are so miserable. Depending on how things turn out targeting Harrison Barnes or Terrence Jones with the Clips pick might be our best bet.

I also think we have to take a look at Valanciunas. Good P&R finisher, nice jumper, huge wingspan (7'6). A little thin, but likes to bang despite being underweight.
JJN

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:14 pm

I was just checking out some scouting reports and video on the top prospects and I was impressed with Barnes. Since our starting 3 right now is Eyenga I'd like to see the Cavs get him with that Clippers pick. The site I happened to go to had him going #6 in their mock.

Take Kyrie Irving with the first pick and Barnes with the second and this team could be pretty intersting next year with AV, Barnes, and Jamison/Hickson across the front line and Irving at PG. Since we're stuck with Baron Davis for the next two years it creates a log jam at PG so I imagine they would try to package Sessions with one or two of our extra draft picks in future years for a legitimate 2.

Or they could go with Perry Jones with the first pick if they can't get Irving. His highlight reel blew me away. They list him as a small forward so I'm kind of salivating over a front line of Varajao at center, Jamison at the 4 and Jones at the 3 with Hickson and Erden coming off the bench. Talk about some bigs who can run the floor. Scott would love that.

If the ping pong balls are kind to us the Cavs could put a very watchable team out there next year.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby JJN » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:06 pm

I don't see Perry Jones being a SF for long in the league. He doesn't shoot well enough from outside, and at both the 3 and 4 he needs to add more weight. That said, he is gifted and could turn out to be the best pro even if Kyrie is in this draft.

Barnes hasn't impressed me. If he falls far enough or just absolutely blows up, maybe you take him, but he just hasn't been as good as he should have been. If Terrence Jones is there, you have to take him over Barnes.

Andy needs to get traded this summer. I love him, but he needs to get traded for picks or prospects. His game is suited for contenders, not rebuilders. It would be best for both parties to trade him.
JJN

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:40 pm

I'll agree on Perry Jones. He'll eventually be a 4. I think his upside is Kevin Garnett, but he could easily be the next Jon Bender. You have no idea what you're getting with him, except crazy athleticism.

I like Barnes more than most seem to, and I wouldn't hesitate to take him at 8 if nobody else I like drops. I would entertain the thought of drafting him as high as 5, but there are other players I like more.

One guy I like is Alec Burks, a SG from Colorado. If our 2nd pick is around 9 or 10 I strongly consider him.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby papacass » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Perry Jones is a beanpole. He has a lot of filling out to do before he can even sniff the possibility of being a starting four in the NBA. I think his game could go either way, because he does have some range on his jumper. If he can shoot it consistently from 18-20, he can be a starting three. But he has the height to play the four.

He might start out as a three and his game might morph into more of a big man's game as he fills out.

If you're looking for a straight-up starting three, you go Barnes (who is still trying to live down a slow start) or Terrence Jones. Though I'm a little less impressed with Jones. Seems like he's out of the play a lot when he doesn't have the ball. He's got a muscular build and long arms. He should be wreaking havoc on defense and grabbing a high number of boards for a wing player. But it doesn't seem like he's a terribly aggressive player. Maybe that's a product of Cal's offense at UK, but T-Jones should be a lot more intimidating with that physique.
papacass

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:26 pm

. I think his upside is Kevin Garnett, but he could easily be the next Jon Bender.

We have to get better value than that. Put me down for Kyrie Elayson.

jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Take Kyrie Irving with the first pick and Barnes with the second

What planet do you guys live on? Planet Paxil ?

If those two are available in this draft, let aone our two picks, and we pick them, I'll paint myelf yellow & run nude through The Strip Distict in Pbgh yelling "DO ME IN MY BACK SATLL BIG BEN!!!".

You'll get that big Turk and a decent Senior and like it.
jb

Unread postby JJN » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:52 pm

I think Perry Jones would be more of a Lamar Odom than a Kevin Garnett. He can grab the board and push the ball up court to the hoop all on his own. He has good mechanics on his jumper, it just doesn't go in often enough.

On T-Jones: over 9 boards, 1.2 steals, and 2 blocks in just over 30 minutes a game. 6% better from the floor than Barnes, more assists (even minute/pace adjusted), comparable 3-point percentages. Maybe Barnes is better than the numbers suggest, I haven't seen much of him other than reading reports about his play, so I can't say he looks better on tape.
JJN

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:17 am

papacass wrote:He might start out as a three and his game might morph into more of a big man's game as he fills out.

This, I think, is his ultimate path. If he develops a reliable outside jumper, and his post game grows, he would be an absolute nightmare to defend. But that's a big if.
StewieG

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:20 am

JJN wrote:I think Perry Jones would be more of a Lamar Odom than a Kevin Garnett. He can grab the board and push the ball up court to the hoop all on his own. He has good mechanics on his jumper, it just doesn't go in often enough.

On T-Jones: over 9 boards, 1.2 steals, and 2 blocks in just over 30 minutes a game. 6% better from the floor than Barnes, more assists (even minute/pace adjusted), comparable 3-point percentages. Maybe Barnes is better than the numbers suggest, I haven't seen much of him other than reading reports about his play, so I can't say he looks better on tape.

I like Jones' game a lot. I think he's gone within the top 5, so I don't think we'll get a shot at him if we get picks, say, 1 and 9. Now if we lose the lottery and are picking 4 and 9? He may well be our pick.
StewieG

Unread postby Prosecutor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:36 am

jb wrote:
Take Kyrie Irving with the first pick and Barnes with the second

What planet do you guys live on? Planet Paxil ?

If those two are available in this draft, let aone our two picks, and we pick them, I'll paint myelf yellow & run nude through The Strip Distict in Pbgh yelling "DO ME IN MY BACK SATLL BIG BEN!!!".

You'll get that big Turk and a decent Senior and like it.

Nobody is suggesting we could get both Irving and Perry Jones unless the gods decide to finally even the score for the Decision, the Drive, the Fumble, Stepian, etc and the ping pong balls give us the top two picks. Which is probably a 1 in 1 billion shot.

I'm saying if we get the first or second pick and draft Irving, then we hopefully get Barnes with the next pick since we desparately need a 3, unless you like Eyenga as a starter. If we get Irving, then we have Irving, Baron Davis, and Sessions at PG so it makes sense to trade Sessions for a 2 rather than we stuck with Parker, Boobie, and Manny.

If Irving doesn't come out or he gets taken before our pick (if we end up drafting 2, 3, or 4), then I like Perry Jones because of his upside. Starting in 2012 the front line would be AV, Hickson, and Jones. If Scott wants some bigs that can score, block shots, and run the floor, he's got it.

Nothing wrong with getting the big Turk as long as his knees are OK. If they get Kanter they move AV to power forward and probably trade Hickson.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA