Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

No Oscar takes?

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

No Oscar takes?

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:41 pm

Interetsing fo rthis bunch.

Have to agree with Rich's take on Inception from the DD . Liked it. But

Just glad the Nerd movie didn't win anything meaningful. Fluffy, entertaining, forgettable movie (not film) , not unlike Alpha Dog with a socialy hip subject. Jesse Eisenberg winning best actor would be like katie perry winning a grammy. For a while, I was concerned the hype would puch it over.

Will have to get Winter's BONE and King's Speech in 3...2...1. The Fighter too, although to me it smells of an Affleck - Damon doosh chowd production.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: No Oscar takes?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:01 pm

jb wrote:Interetsing fo rthis bunch.

Have to agree with Rich's take on Inception from the DD . Liked it. But

Just glad the Nerd movie didn't win anything meaningful. Fluffy, entertaining, forgettable movie (not film) , not unlike Alpha Dog with a socialy hip subject. Jesse Eisenberg winning best actor would be like katie perry winning a grammy. For a while, I was concerned the hype would puch it over.

Will have to get Winter's BONE and King's Speech in 3...2...1. The Fighter too, although to me it smells of an Affleck - Damon doosh chowd production.

Haven't seen King's Speech or the Fighter so maybe that's why this year's films all fell flat for me. Winter's Bone was good, The Kids Are Alright was good, they were all good but nothing that moved me.

James Franco is a stiff, Anne Hathaway is gorgeous, and it appears if you can do a decent British bio-pic you can haul away some hardware almost any year ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:49 pm

Kinds surprised Franco was so tame. I don't see him being asked back. Hathaway is very talented. I can see her and Jackman hosting together at some point. Would have loved Ricky G. He would have skewered that crowd of pretentious fucks.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby swerb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:58 pm

Did a little bit on it in The Dish today ...

http://www.thedailydishonline.com/?p=664
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Twtter is great during these things.

Best of the night was Norm McDonald tweeting that:

"If they don't get to the Dead Guy montage real soon Kirk Douglas is going to be on it."

Excellent.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:04 pm

Who is "Deag" ?

Is it true that Dick Clark tweeted that Douglas is a shell of himself and it was kind of uncomfortable to watch.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:06 pm

jb wrote:Who is "Deag" ?

Is it true that Dick Clark tweeted that Douglas is a shell of himself and it was kind of embarassing to watch.

Fixed. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Deleted?

Well, I thought it was funny.

"What's the definition of irony?"

- Wynona Rider to Etahn Hawke in Reality Bites

;-) <- Did I really need that?
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:23 pm

jb wrote:Deleted?

I messed up the quote box and thought I was deleting my post. Turns out I was editing yours so it disappeared. But yes, it was amusing.

Sorry.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:27 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:Deleted?

I messed up the quote box and thought I was deleting my post. Turns out I was editing yours so it disappeared. But yes, it was amusing.

Sorry.

here I just thought it was a tough crowd. rimshot..
jb

Unread postby mitch » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:32 pm

Franco was gawd-awful, which led Anne Hathaway to try too hard and the perkiness factor got ratched up to Diabetic Overload.

In all, the worst Oscar show I've ever watched, and it wasn't helped by the fact that there were no real surprises.

Shame after a year when I thought there were so many solid movies, at least solid ones nominated. Had to watch "The King's Speech" at the theater on Saturday with my better half, since she wanted to see it before the awards. As expected, she loved it and sniffled her way out of the theater. But it was good for me to see it again for more perspective, and to appreciate the acting even more. Glad it won as much as it did, but that didn't make the show any better.

Like the idea of Hathaway and Jackman hosting...but I'd rather see them go back to Jon Stewart, Steve Martin, or (best idea) Billy Crystal.
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:44 pm

Franco either went all artschool-indifferent-let's-show-em-how-banal-this-mfer-is or just hopped aboard the Pineapple Express. Either way, I was amused.

Totally disagree on The Social Network, jb. The FILM is way more substantive than your dismissal of it. Films like TSN, Black Swan, and Winter's Bone actually take risks and are far more interesting to me than run-of-the-mill Oscar-bait like The King's Speech. TSN isn't hip ephemera, it's generation-defining.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:32 pm

Some other thoughts:

-What the hell did Nicole Kidman do to her face?
-Who thought rolling Kirk Douglas' corpse out there was a good idea?
-Was Melissa Leo taking a shot at those that poo-pooed her openly campaigning for the award? If so...good.
-Natalie Portman needs to whiten her teeth like all other hot actresses. This isn't England honey.
-Mathew McConaughy is not aging well. Even the Mrs. said so. Too much weed and sun.
-The chick from Winter's Bone might have been the hottest piece there.
-When did Sandra Bullock become Mother Theresa.
-Great year for docs.
-Oprah....really?
-Marky Mark seems pissed ALL the time. I like that.
-Gwenyth Paltrow should leave the singing to her husband. Wait, no, forget that.
-Aronofsky is David Arquette's twin. Creepy.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:45 pm

metalhead9x9 wrote:Franco either went all artschool-indifferent-let's-show-em-how-banal-this-mfer-is or just hopped aboard the Pineapple Express. Either way, I was amused.

Totally disagree on The Social Network, jb. The FILM is way more substantive than your dismissal of it. Films like TSN, Black Swan, and Winter's Bone actually take risks and are far more interesting to me than run-of-the-mill Oscar-bait like The King's Speech. TSN isn't hip ephemera, it's generation-defining.

TSN took about as many risks as The Karate Kid meets War Games. It was a teen aged John Hughes movie mixed with current events. Unpopular smart geek kid kept down by rich, uppity kids that Eyeeyo wishes he was gets over in the end as a mega billionaire. Formulaic and average acting. It rode the buzz. Nary a risk more than SuperBad. I'll give you that it at lest was more authentic to technology than The Net.

OK, so that's harsh to bust balls with you, but it still was far from oscar material IMO. J.A.M.

Good deposition dialogue. That's about it.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:02 pm

jb wrote:
metalhead9x9 wrote:Franco either went all artschool-indifferent-let's-show-em-how-banal-this-mfer-is or just hopped aboard the Pineapple Express. Either way, I was amused.

TSN took about as many risks as The Karate Kid meets War Games. It was a teen aged John Hughes movie mixed with current events. Unpopular smart geek kid kept down by rich, uppity kids that Eyeeyo wishes he was gets over in the end as a mega billionaire. Formulaic and average acting. It rode the buzz. Nary a risk more than SuperBad. I'll give you that it at lest was more authentic to technology than The Net.

OK, so that's harsh to bust balls with you, but it still was far from oscar material IMO. J.A.M.

Maybe it's generational. I don't know how old Metal is and I'm not being flip, but I saw it the same as way as you did and Lisa did as well.

I liked it, thought it was a decent popcorn movie as well as timely. But when it was over I was kind of like, "Okay...next."

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:57 pm

I watched a repeat on 'Wormholes' on one of them 'smart people' channels

Mathmaticians and physicists talking about shit I don't understand and it till makes more sense than watching the Oscars
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:08 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:I watched a repeat on 'Wormholes' on one of them 'smart people' channels

Mathmaticians and physicists talking about shit I don't understand and it till makes more sense than watching the Oscars

I love that shit.

I did watch the Oscars, though. Franco was a train wreck. I really like that guy, but I couldn't believe how bad he was.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:42 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:I watched a repeat on 'Wormholes' on one of them 'smart people' channels

I love that shit.

I did watch the Oscars, though. Franco was a train wreck. I really like that guy, but I couldn't believe how bad he was.

He should have actually cut his arm off right there on the stage. That woulda been worth watching.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:11 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

I love that shit.

Yeah I'm finding out tonite that time travel has something to do with pool tables
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:35 pm

Bieber Fever is genrational as well.

( Yo Metal head - purely bustin' balls. Subjective . As a lower post number contributer, don't stand down. Rip our hreads off. Don't let our old men's opinions keep you down, brah.)
jb

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:15 pm

peeker643 wrote:He should have actually cut his arm off right there on the stage. That woulda been worth watching.

If CDT were in charge of things he would have this happen.

and then have GWAR preform.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:14 am

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

Maybe it's generational. I don't know how old Metal is and I'm not being flip, but I saw it the same as way as you did and Lisa did as well.

I liked it, thought it was a decent popcorn movie as well as timely. But when it was over I was kind of like, "Okay...next."

Facebook was created a year before I went to college. Dunno if that means the film connects better with my generation, but I sure as hell scooped it up.

No prob, jb. I just think TSN is commenting on way more than a passing fad. In a couple years, Bieber and Katy Perry will be distant memories while TSN will be used to document how we all ended up in a TRON-like universe where we're slaves to our virtual overlords ;)
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:14 am

You only watched it because Morgan Freeman (former Oscar winner) was the narrator ;-) ;) :wink:
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby hiko » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:58 pm

Here's my take on the Oscars: I had no idea the Oscars already happened until today.

That, apparently, shows how important they are to me.

Some movie called The King's Speech apparently won Best Pic. Never saw it.

Maybe I'm just spending too much time on sports websites...
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:23 pm

hiko wrote:Here's my take on the Oscars: I had no idea the Oscars already happened until today.

That, apparently, shows how important they are to me.

Some movie called The King's Speech apparently won Best Pic. Never saw it.

Maybe I'm just spending too much time on sports websites...

Impossible
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby mitch » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:51 pm

One thing about The Social Network that I think is being overlooked.

10 years from now, the technology will be so much different and better that this movie will look extremely dated, and we'll be making fun of the "breakthrough technology", just like we now make fun of Walkmans and five pound cell phones.

But it's fun for me to laugh at the "outrage" of some critics regarding their favorites...especially the ones that are still crying about Crash winning over Brokeback Mountain.
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:16 pm

mitch wrote:One thing about The Social Network that I think is being overlooked.

10 years from now, the technology will be so much different and better that this movie will look extremely dated, and we'll be making fun of the "breakthrough technology", just like we now make fun of Walkmans and five pound cell phones.

But it's fun for me to laugh at the "outrage" of some critics regarding their favorites...especially the ones that are still crying about Crash winning over Brokeback Mountain.

Bwah!

He said Tron and Wall Street

I had one of those Army field radios MD held in WS...it was the cats meow at the time and a self defense tool as well as phone
Fire Marshall Bill

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture