Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

D Lineman at the Combine

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

D Lineman at the Combine

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Jesus. This group of guys working out is unreal. Huge kids running 4.7 forties. So far I've been impressed with Dareus, Austin, Watt, and Fairley.

There will definitely be good options in round 2 for DL help, as with the WR position. Deep year for two areas where Browns need help.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Re: D Lineman at the Combine

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:14 pm

bucknutz94 wrote:Jesus. This group of guys working out is unreal. Huge kids running 4.7 forties. So far I've been impressed with Dareus, Austin, Watt, and Fairley.

There will definitely be good options in round 2 for DL help, as with the WR position. Deep year for two areas Browns need help.

Watt was a sub 4.80? Good Lord. That's just ridiculous. 6'6" 292lbs? No wonder concussions are up.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:18 pm

peeker643 wrote:
bucknutz94 wrote:Jesus. This group of guys working out is unreal. Huge kids running 4.7 forties. So far I've been impressed with Dareus, Austin, Watt, and Fairley.

There will definitely be good options in round 2 for DL help, as with the WR position. Deep year for two areas Browns need help.

Watt was a sub 4.80? Good Lord. That's just ridiculous. 6'6" 292lbs? No wonder concussions are up.

You know, that's a great point. The NFL Channel guys keep saying how every year the guys are getting bigger and faster. Hell, Austin's 10 yard split matched the RB average from last year...and he's 310 pounds. Unf'ingreal. Someone's gonna die on a field soon.
bucknutz94

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:23 pm

peeker643 wrote:

With that motor? (non-racial stereotype intended) Seriously?

Does that put him in our range yet? Rather take a shot at that over Quinn's "issues'.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:24 pm

bucknutz94 wrote: Someone's gonna die on a field soon.

Hope springs eternal.

jb

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:32 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

With that motor? (non-racial stereotype intended) Seriously?

Does that put him in our range yet? Rather take a shot at that over Quinn's "issues'.

Probably not. He is an ideal 3-4 end. I don't know if he gets off the edge well enough to be drafted that high into a 4-3 defense.
bucknutz94

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:38 am

JJ Watt put up some ridiculous numbers. Vert, 40, Broadjump, Shuttles, Bench.... of all the people I thought would put up crazy ombine numbers, he'd have not been on my radar in that regard.

After Watching him play this year the way he did, along with being backed up by some very impressive physical numbers, I have to say he gets more intriguing by the day.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:25 am

JCoz wrote:JJ Watt put up some ridiculous numbers. Vert, 40, Broadjump, Shuttles, Bench.... of all the people I thought would put up crazy ombine numbers, he'd have not been on my radar in that regard.

After Watching him play this year the way he did, along with being backed up by some very impressive physical numbers, I have to say he gets more intriguing by the day.

As good as he's looked, there's probably no way he forces his way into the top 6. There's also no way that he lasts into the second round either, so probably not much of an option for the Browns.

Of course there's always the possibility that we could trade down, but I don't think the Browns would want to trade for future picks too much with this draft so loaded. The only team with 2 firsts is NE, but it would be out of character for Hoodie to want to trade up and give up picks.

I just don't see how it could happen.

I guess there's the possibility of trading down for another teams second, or maybe next years first.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:56 am

motherscratcher wrote:
JCoz wrote:JJ Watt put up some ridiculous numbers. Vert, 40, Broadjump, Shuttles, Bench.... of all the people I thought would put up crazy ombine numbers, he'd have not been on my radar in that regard.

As good as he's looked, there's probably no way he forces his way into the top 6. There's also no way that he lasts into the second round either, so probably not much of an option for the Browns.

Of course there's always the possibility that we could trade down, but I don't think the Browns would want to trade for future picks too much with this draft so loaded. The only team with 2 firsts is NE, but it would be out of character for Hoodie to want to trade up and give up picks.

I guess there's the possibility of trading down for another teams second, or maybe next years first.

SD:

Kids numbers are off the charts , which begs the question , why isn't he a household naqme.

Warren Saap said he went to tape saw only three tackles in the Championship game and not to many distinquishing moments vs better competition ,

Anybody remember him vs tOSU.

Dareus at 6 ran a just as fast as Fairley while being 28 pounds heavier and you can play him anywher on the line.

Think in terms of king Kong Suh.

Peterson or Bowers or Newton .

Watt would be great if we were still going read and react 34 block gobblers , but in a 43 give me speed impact power and disruption.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:56 am

Is there a link to see completed combine times and scores?

Just wondered what Peterson's (CB) 40 time was.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:06 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

I had the same thoughts while writing that, but I can't help but wonder if all that, which I agree with you on, is just talking yourself out of the right player based on preconceived notions of who is "deserved" of a selection that high.
Over Peterson? Hell no
Over Darious? Don't think so...

Over Bowers, Quinn, Fairley? This I'm not so sure of. I'm beginning to wonder that Watt might not end up better than these 3.

But your "supposed" to like the dominant/speed edge rusher and disruptive DT over a SSDE.

IMO, lots of valid questions surrounding those 3 guys, and I'll be forthright in that I have simply never been high on Bowers or Quinn.

Would you be "reaching" for Watt? Maybe.

Doesn't necessarily preclude him from being the right pick in the long run.

Just thinking here, nothing definitive.
Last edited by JCoz on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCoz

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:29 pm

JCoz wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

I had the same thoughts while writing that, but I can't help but wonder if all that, which I agree with you on, is just talking yourself out of the right player based on preconceived notions of who is "deserved" of a selection that high.

Vs Peterson? Hell no
Vs Darious? Don't think so...

Vs Bowers, Quinn, Fairley? This I'm not so sure of. I'm beginning to wonder that Watt might not end up better than these 3.

But your "supposed" to like the dominant/speed edge rusher and disruptive DT over a SSDE.

IMO, lots of valid questions surrounding those 3 guys, and I'll be forthright in that I have simply never been high on Bowers or Quinn.

Would you be "reaching" for Watt? Maybe.

Doesn't necessarily preclude him from being the right pick in the long run.

Just thinking here, nothing definitive.

SD:

If we were still running the 34 , he's definately in the conversation , but bowrs had 15-17 sacks IIRC and there is nothing comparable from Watt production wise there DE to DE .

Quinn is a 34 Lb/ DE hybrid who if he went to Pittsburgh would plaque us for a decade ,while Dareus and Fairley can play any position on the line in a 43 butt Dareus brings 28 pounds more girth just as much speed and a mountain of mean.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:49 pm

I dont think that just because JJ CAN play 3-4 DE, that he CANNOT play 4-3 DE.

I know all that stuff about Bowers and Quinn - I still don't feel like they will live up to expectations.

I would not chose JJ over Dareus.
JCoz

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:08 pm

Watt is too white to take at #6.

I kid. I kid.
bucknutz94

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:14 pm

JCoz wrote:I dont think that just because JJ CAN play 3-4 DE, that he CANNOT play 4-3 DE.

I know all that stuff about Bowers and Quinn - I still don't feel like they will live up to expectations.

I would not chose JJ over Dareus.

SD:

I wouldn't either nor would I take him over Fairley or Quinn and least of all Bowers who is the best DE in the draft.

and don't get me wrong I'm not saying the kid can't play , butt measurables don't count over sic actual production .

Quinn needs to get stronger there were receivers who netted more than 20 reps , and I'm not buying the hype over Bowers who played last year while that kid sat out on probation, however his 2009 numbers show he knows how to pass rush .

Watt will be highly coveted for any team needing a DE but moreso a 34 because his size gives you that anchor while you read and react and tie up lineman while your linebackers make plays .

In a 43 I want everybody on that front seven in the action and my DLineman's must have the ability to hunt down QB's like wolves chase rabbitts led by the DE's .

EDit :

To emphasize my point , I'd take Heywood over Watt , because his game translates better to the 43 we're going to switch too and his production was better especially in the big game , where Watt dissapeared and Heywoods play made the difference in winning and losing.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:25 pm

SD, JJ Watt kicked tOSU's ass all night. What did you mean by "does anyone remember him"? Are u acknowledging that or disputing?

Gotta go with the 2 interrior guys tops, then it gets murkey. Quinn has major character issues, Bowers knee isn't healing right per espn today, and I don't care what nayone says, JJ is no Chris Long. At 290 he'd be a great LDE propsect 4 - 3 or 3 - 4 .
jb

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:11 pm

jb wrote:SD, JJ Watt kicked tOSU's ass all night. What did you mean by "does anyone remember him"? Are u acknowledging that or disputing?

Gotta go with the 2 interrior guys tops, then it gets murkey. Quinn has major character issues, Bowers knee isn't healing right per espn today, and I don't care what nayone says, JJ is no Chris Long. At 290 he'd be a great LDE propsect 4 - 3 or 3 - 4 .

SD:

A guy who feasted on the bower brothers does not an NFL elite talent make ,
more valid is how he played in the Championship game with his awesome three tackles.

Not saying the kid ain't good , ,I am saying he's not in my conversation at 6 anymore than Heywood.

Hell I'd rather they took Greene or Jones and i hate taking a wideout that high,
or even Ingram after we trade down or even Tyron Smith the OT before i take the 5th best DE at 6 in a very deep draft for D line.

On another note , Deion picked out our match with ward .

Shilo Leo from utah at 5'11 1/2" 219 lbs with but 4.7 speed , Deion adopted him as a playa .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL