Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Holmgren speaks

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Holmgren speaks

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:59 pm

"I'm also looking for a home-run hitter," Holmgren said, pointedly.
That comment alone will intensify the debate on which glaring need the Browns should satisfy first -- defensive line or wide receiver.
Four defensive linemen are considered worthy of the No. 6 pick. Two are tackles and two are ends. The top-rated linebacker, Von Miller of Texas A&M, and the top-rated cornerback, Patrick Peterson of Louisiana State, could be justified there, too.
But there's really only one home-run hitter on offense worthy of a top-10 pick, a guy who can score a touchdown from any place on the field. That's Georgia receiver A.J. Green. Without mentioning him by name, Holmgren essentially conceded that Green is a strong candidate for the team's No. 1 pick.

Another position on Holmgren's mind as the draft season kicks off is -- no surprise -- quarterback.
"Oh, yeah, we will draft a quarterback. You can almost count on it," Holmgren said.
But the feeling going into this week is that Holmgren is looking for a developmental prospect and is not planning on displacing Colt McCoy as the team's starter in 2011.
"I believe in the young guy we have," he said. "I'm pretty sure we'll take one later in the draft."
McCoy has been meeting regularly with new coach Pat Shurmur for the past couple of weeks. The Browns want to get McCoy exposed to Shurmur's offensive playbook before a possible owners lockout shuts down all contact with players after March 3.
Holmgren indicated he has no intention at present of bringing in a quarterback to compete with McCoy.
"It works best if you can identify 'the guy,' let him know he's 'the guy,' and train him appropriately to be 'the guy,'" Holmgren said. "It's nice to have all this competition and all this stuff, but it doesn't work very well, usually. So if you believe in a young man, believe he's 'the guy,' then you have to go with it."
Holmgren's apparent plan is to designate McCoy the starter, choose between Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace as the backup, and draft a developmental quarterback for the No. 3 role.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... ren_9.html
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Holmgren speaks

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:03 am

Triple-S wrote:
"I'm also looking for a home-run hitter," Holmgren said, pointedly.
That comment alone will intensify the debate on which glaring need the Browns should satisfy first -- defensive line or wide receiver.
Four defensive linemen are considered worthy of the No. 6 pick. Two are tackles and two are ends. The top-rated linebacker, Von Miller of Texas A&M, and the top-rated cornerback, Patrick Peterson of Louisiana State, could be justified there, too.
But there's really only one home-run hitter on offense worthy of a top-10 pick, a guy who can score a touchdown from any place on the field. That's Georgia receiver A.J. Green. Without mentioning him by name, Holmgren essentially conceded that Green is a strong candidate for the team's No. 1 pick.

Another position on Holmgren's mind as the draft season kicks off is -- no surprise -- quarterback.
"Oh, yeah, we will draft a quarterback. You can almost count on it," Holmgren said.
But the feeling going into this week is that Holmgren is looking for a developmental prospect and is not planning on displacing Colt McCoy as the team's starter in 2011.
"I believe in the young guy we have," he said. "I'm pretty sure we'll take one later in the draft."
McCoy has been meeting regularly with new coach Pat Shurmur for the past couple of weeks. The Browns want to get McCoy exposed to Shurmur's offensive playbook before a possible owners lockout shuts down all contact with players after March 3.
Holmgren indicated he has no intention at present of bringing in a quarterback to compete with McCoy.
"It works best if you can identify 'the guy,' let him know he's 'the guy,' and train him appropriately to be 'the guy,'" Holmgren said. "It's nice to have all this competition and all this stuff, but it doesn't work very well, usually. So if you believe in a young man, believe he's 'the guy,' then you have to go with it."
Holmgren's apparent plan is to designate McCoy the starter, choose between Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace as the backup, and draft a developmental quarterback for the No. 3 role.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... ren_9.html

All of that makes way too much sense. It's not rocket surgery or anything, and I'll bash the guy from time to time, but his line of thinking in this case, after 11 years of epic suck, doesn't even sound as if it belongs with the words "Cleveland Browns".

Too rational.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:06 am

Count down to SD going postal and suggesting blowing the draft on Cam Newton

This is like the most rational sensical thing I've heard come from a Browns coaches mouth in the last 11 years...
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby RedDawg » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:20 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Count down to SD going postal and suggesting blowing the draft on Cam Newton

This is like the most rational sensical thing I've heard come from a Browns coaches mouth in the last 11 years...

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Then I remembered that Shurmur was actually our head coach, and realized how nice it is to have a "football guy" with chops running the show.

Good luck in Buffalo, Cam.
RedDawg

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Rapistberger

Unread postby yogi » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 am

Putting 2 and 2 together....

MH is for all intents and purposes naming Colt the man and not looking at any competition for him.

MH realizes the need for a HR hitter, probably meaning Green or fast WR in the 2nd.

Tells me, MH doesnt stay up nights worrying if Colts arm is strong enough.

Good enough for me.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby RedDawg » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 am

Or, it's all an elaborate smoke screen and he really wants Cam Newton to lead his franchise to the promised land.
RedDawg

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Rapistberger

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:04 pm

You guys are missing the other key point to ruining SD's day about this. After pimping Jarrett Brown as our developmental QB, here is Holmgren saying he is going to draft one.

I think the most interesting thing that comes out of him talking is to me it is pretty clear Delhomme or Wallace will not be here next year, I am torn to which one I think will be here and torn about who I would like to see here.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Ziner wrote:You guys are missing the other key point to ruining SD's day about this. After pimping Jarrett Brown as our developmental QB, here is Holmgren saying he is going to draft one.

I think the most interesting thing that comes out of him talking is to me it is pretty clear Delhomme or Wallace will not be here next year, I am torn to which one I think will be here and torn about who I would like to see here.

I'm not torn. McCoy doesn't need his hand held this season. He was mentored last year on the rigors of the job. He has an appreciation and understanding how much film study it takes and what to look for. He has an understanding of how to go about motivating various teammates and how to handle in-game situations. He knows the speed of play.

He's done with the baby food and now he needs to go make throws. If he can't then you at least want a guy behind him who can.

And that's Wallace or anyone not named Delhomme.

Jake served his purpose and did it well enough that he doesn't have to do it this season.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby hiko » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:41 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Ziner wrote:You guys are missing the other key point to ruining SD's day about this. After pimping Jarrett Brown as our developmental QB, here is Holmgren saying he is going to draft one.

I'm not torn. McCoy doesn't need his hand held this season. He was mentored last year on the rigors of the job. He has an appreciation and understanding how much film study it takes and what to look for. He has an understanding of how to go about motivating various teammates and how to handle in-game situations. He knows the speed of play.

He's done with the baby food and now he needs to go make throws. If he can't then you at least want a guy behind him who can.

And that's Wallace or anyone not named Delhomme.

Jake served his purpose and did it well enough that he doesn't have to do it this season.

Gotta agree with that, and throw in the fact that Wallace's game/size are much closer to McCoy's than Delhomme's game is, so if McCoy goes down, you're not switching to a completely different style of QB.

That and Jake is just flat done. Give him a coaching position, fine, but he doesn't need to be on the field anymore.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby jb » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:53 pm

I like his candor and lack of coachspeak. Refreshing really.
And only SD could miss the point that Colt is annointed. For now. Only becasue he's listening to the Kelly Unitas podcast for the 6000th time moning like barry White.

And it sounds like he wants O , big time. DT's aren't "home rum " hitters. Although unless Grossi is high fairly may slide. Hate to pass on Suh-lite.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby hiko » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:25 pm

jb wrote:I like his candor and lack of coachspeak. Refreshing really.
And only SD could miss the point that Colt is annointed. For now. Only becasue he's listening to the Kelly Unitas podcast for the 6000th time moning like barry White.

And it sounds like he wants O , big time. DT's aren't "home rum " hitters. Although unless Grossi is high fairly may slide. Hate to pass on Suh-lite.

Fairley's got more bust potential than Dareus, but also a higher ceiling. I would be uber-shocked if he fell to 6, and they would be nuts to pass on him if did.

I'm just waiting eagerly for the first "We should trade down" post where we magically pick up 3 first round picks and a Pro Bowler by moving from 6 to 13.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:35 pm

Fairley makes me nervous

I saw him compared to Shaun Smith on Twitter by a few of the Browns players, and they were having a good chuckle on him.

To me he seems very much on the..Gerard Big Money Warren side.

I want a guy who's guaranteed to start from day one and just not really rock the boat all that much.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:27 pm

SD:

It is what it is , he's obviously gonna out bid the Cardinals for Albert Pulhose (sp) :hic:
SoulDawg74

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:52 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

It is what it is , he's obviously gonna out bid the Cardinals for Albert Pulhose (sp) :hic:

Now that it is all but certain that it won't be Cam at #6, who do you like SD?
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:41 am

Anyone with any appreciation for the here and now never would have considered trading up, down or sideways for Cam Newton

Anyone with any appreciation for the depth of DE's in the draft would have condiered this needy spot could be filled later than #6

Add to this the absolutely putrid, projectile vomiting quality WR corps and AJ Green is not only the obvious pick if he's there, the thought of him wearing a pumpkin head gives me wood

I mite actually become optimistic about the Browns again
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:17 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

Now that it is all but certain that it won't be Cam at #6, who do you like SD?

SD:

Rule of thumb is take anything said by anybody in the FO prior to the draft with a grain of salt .

Especially in February .

Next to Newton Robert Quinn at 6'4" 275 lbs projected to run a 4.55 forty is the next most talented athlete in the draft and you can't run an effective 43 without a premiere pass rusher .

Peterson at 6'2" and 220 lbs may run a sub 4.3 forty and he plays corner.

Fairley and Dareus are both Monsters inside and Fairley can play any position on the line including either DE spot and both DT spots .

Bowers is also a top five quality DE stud.

But Buffalo Zona or Carolina better take Newton off the board because if any of those other guys are left and he chooses Greene over Newton or one of those other studs , it will be as foolish as Savage taking Braylon over Aaron Rodgers or one of another half dozen studs in that draft like Ware and lights out who were way better choices.

You can find receivers four rounds deep in this draft , and if we got Jones and Greene in back to back picks we ain't got a soul on this roster good enough to throw to them.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:24 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:Peterson at 6'2" and 220 lbs may run a sub 4.3 forty and he plays corner.

Not lying. If Peterson is there at 6 and Green is there at 6, I'd be really, really hard pressed not to take Peterson. In all likelihood the very best athlete in the draft and then you have your defensive backfield set for years once you grab another safety two years down the road to replace Sheldon Brown.

Those two corners would be as good as it gets and Brown is built to play safety as it is.

If Green is gone it's a no brainer for me unless something stupid like Bowers being available.

Game changers needed. You can use one at any position if you're the Browns.

Just get one and I don't give a shit if it's another corner if that's the biggest impact player available. SD is right and I was talking to jta1975 about this yesterday: Peterson and Bowers have dominated every level from high school through college. No reason to believe you're not getting the real deal with either.

If Cam goes 3rd there will be chaos w/people trying to move up for Gabbert and others that have therefore fallen.

Gonna be fun if Cam aces his interviews and doesn't fuck up the Cone Drill or whatever the hell they'll have him run. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:36 pm

The words were "homerun hitter"

Not "game changer"

JFC...Pay attention, bitches...it don't cost much

We return you now the the latest Browns thread to become all about SD and Cam Newton and the reasons the FO are a bunch of stumbling bumbling idiots who missed on Jesus Christ, The Deuce
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:41 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:The words were "homerun hitter"

Not "game changer"

We return you now the the latest Browns thread to become all about SD and Cam Newton and the reasons the FO are a bunch of stumbling bumbling idiots who missed on Jesus Christ, The Deuce

My fault on 'game changer'. I suck.

I still need to pm you man. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:46 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Not "game changer"

My fault on 'game changer'. I suck.

I still need to pm you man. ;-) ;) :wink:

I'm in west Millcreek, 5 min from I-90... hr and 45 to the Stadium and toking as we speak :thumb up:
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:24 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Anyone with any appreciation for the here and now never would have considered trading up, down or sideways for Cam Newton

Anyone with any appreciation for the depth of DE's in the draft would have condiered this needy spot could be filled later than #6

Add to this the absolutely putrid, projectile vomiting quality WR corps and AJ Green is not only the obvious pick if he's there, the thought of him wearing a pumpkin head gives me wood

I mite actually become optimistic about the Browns again

SD:

So would you quit having sex with yourself if we traded down and nabbed Ingram and Heywood in the first .

Nice of Homie to annouce his plans and all , and I'm sure Cincy would want us to have Greene instead of themselves since they have such good luck with receivers.

But last I checked a back that can house it is considered a homerun threat .."no"?

The best back in the draft alongside Hillis with Hardesty as a bonus sure would be a nice blanky for any QB when you add some veteran receiving.

SoulDawg

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:01 am

Not "game changer"

It's not HARD.

jb

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:37 am

Every single mock I see has Green going to Cinci at #4, and it is hard to see anything but that happening based on their WR situation.

Besides, if the Browns take anything but the best available defensive front seven player (or Peterson) at #6, I'll be screaming bloody murder.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby jb » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:47 am

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/02/cleveland_browns_coach_pat_shu_3.html

With updates.

Heckert is really speaking like the HMFIC on the draft. Not in deference to Holmgren or anyone. His comments point to a D Lineman.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Umm. Whatever you say, guys."
jb

Unread postby jb » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:50 am

danwismar wrote:Every single mock I see has Green going to Cinci at #4, and it is hard to see anything but that happening based on their WR situation.

Especially if they want to mollify Palmer.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:59 am

jb wrote:
danwismar wrote:Every single mock I see has Green going to Cinci at #4, and it is hard to see anything but that happening based on their WR situation.

Especially if they want to mollify Palmer.

You ever hear Palmer open his mouth or bitch and complain before though? I haven't. Dude's been a good soldier if nothing else down there.

I think he's shooting straight and is out of there. If that's the case the Bengals are in the market for a QB as well and selecting Green then makes no sense w/o a QB.

Cincy is another team that can take best player available at pretty much any position and not be wrong in doing so.

Telling ya, Peterson or Green is going to be there at #6. And depending on the value the Browns can get there (if any) they'll consider moving back to a spot where J Jones or one of the DL will be available and accumulate more picks.

Again, they need a partner with picks, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them able and willing to move back if cats like Green and Gabbert are still on the board. Could make for a feeding frenzy.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby yogi » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Not "game changer"

I agree that HR hitter remark def means Green is in play, but SD's thought has merit when he said that could be a RB as well, but if Hardesty is mended with Peyton, not likely.

However, Homerun Hitter can also mean Dave Kingman, and that could be a 2nd or 3rd round WR with speed that kills. Like Kingkong, he can hit that HR, but will strike out often as well. But he will stretch the field. And that threat could mean a lot to open the field up a bit.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:31 pm

yogi wrote:However, Homerun Hitter can also mean Dave Kingman, and that could be a 2nd or 3rd round WR with speed that kills. Like Kingkong, he can hit that HR, but will strike out often as well. But he will stretch the field. And that threat could mean a lot to open the field up a bit.

Still think Carlton Mitchell can be that specific guy. Much as I'm not sure we've been able to get a real look and a true understanding of MoMass and Robo because of who was throwing them the ball in Daboll's offense, I think Mitchell is in the same boat.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:50 pm

peeker643 wrote:
yogi wrote:However, Homerun Hitter can also mean Dave Kingman, and that could be a 2nd or 3rd round WR with speed that kills. Like Kingkong, he can hit that HR, but will strike out often as well. But he will stretch the field. And that threat could mean a lot to open the field up a bit.

Still think Carlton Mitchell can be that specific guy. Much as I'm not sure we've been able to get a real look and a true understanding of MoMass and Robo because of who was throwing them the ball in Daboll's offense, I think Mitchell is in the same boat.

Like the argument against getting married for the second time, belief in Carlton Mitchell represents the triumph of hope over experience.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:53 pm

I quit reading SD and don't give a rats ass what he thinks but, I was pimping a trade down for Ingram months ago....

Pay attention...it don't cost much
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:56 pm

yogi wrote:

Not "game changer"

I agree that HR hitter remark def means Green is in play, but SD's thought has merit when he said that could be a RB as well, but if Hardesty is mended with Peyton, not likely.

However, Homerun Hitter can also mean Dave Kingman, and that could be a 2nd or 3rd round WR with speed that kills. Like Kingkong, he can hit that HR, but will strike out often as well. But he will stretch the field. And that threat could mean a lot to open the field up a bit.

I'm a Giants fan and know King Kong Kingman, Inventor of the 600' dinger

...and don't really care who we draft
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:12 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:I quit reading SD and don't give a rats ass what he thinks but, I was pimping a trade down for Ingram months ago....

Pay attention...it don't cost much

SD:

Well I read you for comedy relief , but if you think you've got the original Ingram trade down , then you better check one of my archive posts .

and you don't have to give a Rat's ass just read writing when its writ, .

I called for Ingram at 6 if we didn't get Newton or couldn't trade down.

Not that it will change the price of wheat in Russia or nothin.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby yogi » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:57 pm

I'm watching the Cam Newton presser on the NFL Network right now.

First impressions listening to him speak?

Not impressed.

Cannot gamble the #6 pick on him. We cannot afford as a franchise to blow this pick.

Pass.

edit to add. He also channeled his best Mark McGwire.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby pup » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:55 pm

Most I read on that presser came away impressed.

What did he say that bothered you?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby yogi » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:36 am

pup wrote:Most I read on that presser came away impressed.

Canned answers. Because the same words and phrases were used over and over again. Sounded like when Costner schooled young Nuke LeLoosh in Bull Durham in the bus on how to handle the press.

Answers to qustions of his past were stolen directly from Mark McGwire's notebook in Congress on roid use. "I'm not here to talk about the past but rather the future...."

But mostly, it was just my first impression. Not worth 2 cents I know.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:50 am

yogi wrote:

Canned answers. Because the same words and phrases were used over and over again. Sounded like when Costner schooled young Nuke LeLoosh in Bull Durham in the bus on how to handle the press.

Answers to qustions of his past were stolen directly from Mark McGwire's notebook in Congress on roid use. "I'm not here to talk about the past but rather the future...."

SD:

Well if you didn't like that listening to Tebows canned bullspit shoulda made you suicidal.

Damned if you do damned if you don't .

If the kid answered any other way , then you'd call him an idiot for his candor when the least little thing can and will be held against ya ....kinda like what your doing now.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby pup » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:06 am

yogi wrote:

Your couple pennies are worth the same as everyone else's. Was just curious.

What some call canned answers, others call preparing.

You speak from the heart or head on job interviews?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:42 pm

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-ce ... ca1a5b68b4

Browns Propaganda here.

Really pushing hard that they feel McCoy is there guy.

Triple-S

Unread postby yogi » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:56 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
yogi wrote:

SD:

Well if you didn't like that listening to Tebows canned bullspit shoulda made you suicidal.

If the kid answered any other way , then you'd call him an idiot for his candor when the least little thing can and will be held against ya ....kinda like what your doing now.

SoulDawg

Well SD, if you wanna compare Cam to Tebow go ahead. I cant cause Timmy was never a consideration for our #7 last year. Apples to Oranges.
You are trying to convince us that its a no-brainer for us to get Newton with our #6 this year.

I'm not a buyer, again, for what its worth. (not much I know)
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that what Cam Newton says in the media interview portion of his combine could possibly affect his draft status?
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:43 pm

yogi wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
yogi wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

Well SD, if you wanna compare Cam to Tebow go ahead. I cant cause Timmy was never a consideration for our #7 last year. Apples to Oranges.
You are trying to convince us that its a no-brainer for us to get Newton with our #6 this year.

I'm not a buyer, again, for what its worth. (not much I know)

SD:

Didn't compare either guy , just found it curious Cam made you noxious when Tebow didn't and his spiel was pure evangelistic conversion speak .

I get you don't like Newton .

You wouldn't be the first and you won't be the last .

On another note , its interesting Mayock has Gabbert and Locker rated ahead of Newton .

Gabbert won't throw in the combine for fear the rumors about his arm being similar to Colt may get validated ,

while Locker who looks the part of Apollo can't make plays in games when it counts .

Newton gets knocked for being a one look and run QB while Jakes
penchant for being too chicken to pull the trigger gets a pass.

Each to his own my man.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:01 pm

Not going well for Cam according to many (here's one that basically sums it up):

http://bit.ly/evJFH8

How much of it is blarney is to be determined.

And Mark Ingram ran a 4.58?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:04 pm

peeker643 wrote:And Mark Ingram ran a 4.58?

plant some pot on him, and lets see if we can get him to drop to the 6th.

would love to see him and hillis make up the backfield.

Triple-S

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:05 pm

peeker643 wrote:Not going well for Cam according to many (here's one that basically sums it up):

Locker and Mallet get rave reviews. Locker ran a 4.52 and Mallet's performance called "best in last ten year".

Meat Market and PR Store are open for business boys !!

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:35 pm

peeker643 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Not going well for Cam according to many (here's one that basically sums it up):

Locker and Mallet get rave reviews. Locker ran a 4.52 and Mallet's performance called "best in last ten year".

SD:

Wish you had access to the MFL network Peeks , so you could make some informed decisions on a number of these talented potential draftees, been watching and taping the last two days and the size and speed of the overall class is outstanding .

Wideout and RB is deep and reports of Newtons demise are grossly exaggerated .

In a one on one with Mayock Faulk and Eisen he addressed his recent comments apologized to those who found his remarks offensive although they were taken out of context and specifically addressed Mayocks contention about his criticism head on .

Saying he did what the system required him to do, move the chains ,

If he was in a Pro system he would have played to those parramaters if he was in a Bone he'd of optioned his behind off, sees himself as a game manager whose job is to get the job done.

Mayock softened his hard core stance allowed that it was a good answer and gave him points for candor.

BTW Mayock gave Jamarcus Russell his highest QB marks so part of me believes he's being extra hard on Cam because of that burn job.

and Yeah , no surprise Mallet and Locker look like world beaters in shorts
as predicted.

But compare how they played in the clutch in the big games vs Newton and
how he played when the whole World was stacked against Auburn on the field and off of it , and it ain't even close.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:37 pm

peeker643 wrote:

SD:

Wish you had access to the MFL network Peeks , so you could make some informed decisions on a number of these talented potential draftees, been watching and taping the last two days and the size and speed of the overall class is outstanding .

Wideout and RB is deep and reports of Newtons demise are grossly exaggerated .

In a one on one with Mayock Faulk and Eisen he addressed his recent comments apologized to those who found his remarks offensive although they were taken out of context and specifically addressed Mayocks contention about his criticism head on .

Saying he did what the system required him to do, move the chains ,

If he was in a Pro system he would have played to those parramaters if he was in a Bone he'd of optioned his behind off, sees himself as a game manager whose job is to get the job done.

Mayock softened his hard core stance allowed that it was a good answer and gave him points for candor.

BTW Mayock gave Jamarcus Russell his highest QB marks so part of me believes he's being extra hard on Cam because of that burn job.

and Yeah , no surprise Mallet and Locker look like world beaters in shorts
as predicted.

But compare how they played in the clutch in the big games vs Newton and
how he played when the whole World was stacked against Auburn on the field and off of it , and it ain't even close.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:43 pm

NFL.com has the combine available too.

I have no issue with Cam's media interview and the people blasting him for the 'Self Confidence' shit are just looking to make headlines. If your QB lacks confidence you're...well...you're the Browns in 2009.

I also don't know how much of the 'Drills' critique is for real and how much, like they mentioned in the article, is hoping it will turn off early teams and let Cam fall to the person criticizing him here. 'Anonymous' critiques should come with a warning.

Anyway, I want to hear what they say about his ability to dissect coverages, etc. If he's bright enough to impress there then he's going before the Browns pick anyway.

If that costs him a Top 5 then I'd be leery of picking him 6th too.

And you're right about Mallet and Locker. We knew Locker was athletic and that Mallet is a world beater til he faces a pass rush.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:45 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Expected Mallet to look good here...and he did. As long as there is no pressure he'll be fine. It's when he has to move those boats he calls feet that he gets in trouble.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Hate to say it but I am starting to like Newton. He seems like a good kid. Maybe he's just been coached well, but he seems genuine to me. He's charismatic as hell too.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:51 pm

Triple-S wrote:
peeker643 wrote:And Mark Ingram ran a 4.58?

plant some pot on him, and lets see if we can get him to drop to the 6th.

would love to see him and hillis make up the backfield.

SD:

He'll be there pardner , in fact you could trade down to 10 with the skins and still net him, and maybe as gar as 17 to New England IMO.

There 17 and 28th and one of their seconds would go a long way to rebuilding this train wreck.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL