Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

K. Perkins and Nate Robinson for Green?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

K. Perkins and Nate Robinson for Green?

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Per Sam Amick. WTF?
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Re: K. Perkins and Nate Robinson for Green?

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Someone please tell me what the Celtics were thinking
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:23 pm

That Jeff Green will magically transform into a suitable pick for where he was drafted?!
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:29 pm

Who the hell is Jeff Green?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby fightdr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:49 pm

I think this will be a steal for Boston.

Season Averages
SEASON TEAM GP GS MIN FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
'07-'08 SEA 80 52 28.2 4.0-9.4 .427 0.3-1.0 .276 2.2-3.0 .744 1.3 3.5 4.8 1.5 0.6 0.6 2.5 2.0 10.5
'08-'09 OKC 78 77 36.8 6.1-13.7 .446 1.2-3.2 .389 3.1-3.9 .788 1.5 5.1 6.6 2.0 0.4 1.0 2.6 2.2 16.5
'09-'10 OKC 82 82 37.1 5.9-13.0 .453 1.3-3.8 .333 2.0-2.7 .740 1.4 4.6 6.0 1.6 0.9 1.3 2.7 1.6 15.1
'10-'11 OKC 49 49 37.0 5.5-12.6 .437 1.1-3.8 .304 3.0-3.7 .818 1.2 4.4 5.6 1.8 0.4 0.8 2.9 1.6 15.2
Career 289 260 34.5 5.4-12.1 .443 1.0-2.8 .338 2.5-3.3 .771 1.4 4.4 5.7 1.7 0.6 0.9 2.6 1.9 14.2
fightdr

Favorite Player: Deion
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:50 pm

Why are people banging Jeff Green? Dude's a solid 15/5 guy and probably will be even better w/Rondo finding him.

Dude's just 24 too. They needed to get more athletic and Green's 6'9 210 and is more athletic. Not to mention younger and can get up and down the floor which may be a requirement in the East now.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:52 pm

peeker643 wrote:Why are people banging Jeff Green? Dude's a solid 15/5 guy and probably will be even better w/Rondo finding him.

Dude's just 24 too. They needed to get more athletic and Green's 6'9 210 and is more athletic. Not to mention younger and can get up and down the floor which may be a requirement in the East now.

Hasn't he had success guarding #6 as well?
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:56 pm

neoleo wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Why are people banging Jeff Green? Dude's a solid 15/5 guy and probably will be even better w/Rondo finding him.

Hasn't he had success guarding #6 as well?

Not sure to what degree Ryan. He's long and can run and since LBJ only posts up in All Star games it wouldn't surprise me if Green gave him an assache.

Green's just an athletic wing player and a good enough perimeter defender that can match up (or at least run with) guys like James and 'Melo.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Smart deal IMO. Perkins was probably gone this summer, they already low balled him, and they are able to get a competent backup C and a young gun. Green was a piece that OKC had a surplus of, yet needed a tough defensive center.

Seems like a win win.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:58 pm

Rondo and Green aren't doing shit in the east by themselves ever. Their best chance to win is right now, you don't trade away a piece like Perkins when you are going in for one or two more last hurrahs.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby fightdr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:58 pm

I agree Peeker, I think Green is solid.
Good deal for both teams but Green will be a steal when it's all said and done.
fightdr

Unread postby pup » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:01 pm

Who was Perkins needed to cover in the East?

Z?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:02 pm

Some here putting way too much value on Perk. Celtics killed the Heat all 3 games basically without him. We know they only get tougher in the playoffs and they can still throw 2 O'Neals, Kristic, KG, and Big Baby at you. Not to mention buyout possibilities.

They just offered him 5 mill over 5 years. He may be worth more, but guy is limited on offense. May be a tough defender against Howard, but feh on him. He was more needed by OKC, and the Celtics were much more in need of Green.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Ziner wrote:Rondo and Green aren't doing shit in the east by themselves ever. Their best chance to win is right now, you don't trade away a piece like Perkins when you are going in for one or two more last hurrahs.

So what? I don't think they're playing in the east by themselves ever. Actually I don't even know what you're trying to say.

The C's needed to get more athletic than Perkins. They need to ensure they can run and match up with the Knicks who just acquired a perimeter threat that requires double team attention most of the time. Green s a good perimeter defender.

The C's have bodies to throw at the Heat who have none.

The C's were too big and not athletic enough. I don't understand why that's hard to get. Remember how well it went for the Cavs when they built solely for Orlando and then had to face Boston?

You better have guys that can get you past multiple opponents and the Celtics just got those guys.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:21 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Ziner wrote:Rondo and Green aren't doing shit in the east by themselves ever. Their best chance to win is right now, you don't trade away a piece like Perkins when you are going in for one or two more last hurrahs.

So what? I don't think they're playing in the east by themselves ever. Actually I don't even know what you're trying to say.

The C's needed to get more athletic than Perkins. They need to ensure they can run and match up with the Knicks who just acquired a perimeter threat that requires double team attention most of the time. Green s a good perimeter defender.

The C's have bodies to throw at the Heat who have none.

The C's were too big and not athletic enough. I don't understand why that's hard to get. Remember how well it went for the Cavs when they built solely for Orlando and then had to face Boston?

You better have guys that can get you past multiple opponents and the Celtics just got those guys.

I dont have the energy so you win.

All I am saying is Perkins could defend any center he would face in the playoffs and do it well. When the trade went through and Miami and LA heard about it, who do you think went "shit!" and who started smiling. That's all.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:21 pm

Whenever you get Danny Ainge and Sam Presti together, I can't see how it couldn't help out both teams. Both guys are at the top of the game.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Ziner wrote:All I am saying is Perkins could defend any center he would face in the playoffs and do it well. When the trade went through and Miami and LA heard about it, who do you think went "shit!" and who started smiling. That's all.

Kevin Durant and Ray Allen?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby fightdr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:23 pm

I'm trying to figure out when Perkins became this great player.
fightdr

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Ziner wrote:I dont have the energy so you win.

All I am saying is Perkins could defend any center he would face in the playoffs and do it well. When the trade went through and Miami and LA heard about it, who do you think went "shit!" and who started smiling. That's all.

Don't wanna win. Trying to figure out what you were saying.

Here's how I see it:

The C's had a bunch of shirts and no pants.

They need some pants because some other teams have some pants.

They got some decent pants by giving up a pretty nice shirt.

But they still have enough shirts to beat the Heat and now they got some pants to make sure they can play wth anyone else.

Dig?

So simple a tot-sodden brain could figure it out.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
Ziner wrote:All I am saying is Perkins could defend any center he would face in the playoffs and do it well. When the trade went through and Miami and LA heard about it, who do you think went "shit!" and who started smiling. That's all.

Kevin Durant and Ray Allen?

Yep.

I do wonder f this is the first chink in the 'We Are OKC Family' armor though. I do believe Green, Durant and Westbrook were captains of that ship. Wonder if if the 'It's a Business Boys' train is now whistling through town.

But basketball-wise I do think it helps both teams. And is it Ibaka that picks up that scoring/perimeter d slack?

Hmm...the more I think the more I like what the C's did here.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:32 pm

I was saying that Pierce, Allen and KG don't have but a year or two left. When those three are gone they have Rondo, Big Baby and Green. Nice, championship!. I look at this as a move for the future, not a move now. I have a hard time understanding how they think the front line of the O'Neals, Big Baby and a bound to be injured KG with Green on the bench is better than having Perkins is all. How do you defend Howard if you see them, how do you defend LA if you see them? From what I understand Green is a much better 3 than anything else. When is he going to get the burn? It just doesn't make sense to me, looks like a move for the future and honestly I don't think they have much of a future beyond the useful life of their big three.

That is why I said Rondo and Green aren't winning shit in the east by themselves. Maybe I am looking at this wrong and should have more confidence in their current front line, but I dont.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:36 pm

Kristic is just about as average as you get for a center, but he can shoot the ball. Something no other Celtic center can do. I'm talking strictly the 2 O'Neals and Kristic.

IMO it was a good trade for both sides. OKC also gets a sparkplug for when their offense stalls.
Orenthal

Unread postby fabs227 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:48 pm

At first glance, I agree you think WTF…
Here is the Boston angle-
Boston is aging, not as athletic, and frankly after watching Paul Pierce go 0-10 a few weeks ago against the Heat, this deal makes perfect sense. Boston is getting a young SF/PF, athletic freak, who plays well in a structured system. Jeff Green has put up consistent numbers in the NBA and shot over 50% at Georgetown in a highly structured system. OKC offensive system isn’t as structured at all. A lot of it is Durant and Westbrook using a form of the dribble drive or pick and roll offense used everywhere now. They are also looking a couple of years down the road; can Jeff Green develop into a star? Who knows..
Boston before this trade has 3 centers in Shaq, Jermaine O’Neal, and Perkins. Perkins is coming of ACL surgery and is a defensive beast. He is an offensive nightmare as besides rebounding and setting screens (mostly illegal) is an offensive liability. Shaq is supposed to be back in the next few weeks and Jermaine is there only for the playoffs.
Boston also gets rid of Nate (I think I am great) Robinson. Doc and him have had more run ins from bad shots, not playing defense, and just being an idiot on the floor than Byron Scott has with JJ Hickson. Not a loss at all and will probably help the locker room that he has left.
Boston adds another 7+ footer in Kristic who is let’s put this nicely, outside of the fist fight from this summer is quite soft. He does have a good touch from the outside, is fluid in most low post moves, but can be defensive liability. He was the starter in OKC, but gave minutes up to Serge Ibaka and Cole Aldrich, both better rebounders and defenders.
Summing it up from Boston’s angle, the add someone that athletic, can guard Lebron/D-Wade/ the Ru-Paul of basketball (thank you Shaq.. aka.. Chris Bosh),and the newly acquired Carmelo Anthony, add a big man who can stretch the floor, get rid of a pain in the butt player Robinson, and lose a big cog in the middle in Perkins. I give the trade a thumbs up.
Here is the OKC angle-
Losing Jeff Green hurts in the short term, but after watching the mass exodus from the Northwest Division in the Western Conference who cares. Your only major threat in that division is Portland and that’s if they can all stay healthy.
OKC adding Perkins is pretty big. They get the tough rebounder and defender they need to stop players like Lamarcus Aldridge, Tim Duncan, and to the lesser degree Nene. He will help them in so many ways defensively and will create second chance opportunities for Durant and Westbrook.
OKC adding Robinson, well I have nothing. He might add a spark off the bench. I would worry about him in the locker room, although Scott Brooks being a disciplinarian might be able to keep him under raps where Doc couldn’t.
OKC losing Kristic will not hurt them since they already had Ibaka and Aldrich. Since he wasn’t a major contributor his loss will not be missed.
Summing it up from the OKC angle, already a top team in the West, just got better. On paper the loss of Jeff Green hurts, but Durant, Westbrook, and the improving James Harden will pick up his slack. I believe the addition of Perkins will help this team long term and will allow them to go deeper into the playoffs. I give this trade 2 big thumbs up.
fabs227

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:54 pm

^Welcome analysis.
Orenthal

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:48 pm

Where Boston is going to miss him most is on D. Perk was a good fit, especially defending the P&R. I just think that this is where Boston will get exposed in a 7 games series.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:00 pm

Green's a solid player but nobody guarded/annoyed Dwight Howard better than Perk. I like it for Boston long term but this could be big trouble for them if they play the Magic in the 2nd round (which is currently slated to happen).
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:07 pm

Ziner wrote:I was saying that Pierce, Allen and KG don't have but a year or two left. When those three are gone they have Rondo, Big Baby and Green. Nice, championship!. I look at this as a move for the future, not a move now. I have a hard time understanding how they think the front line of the O'Neals, Big Baby and a bound to be injured KG with Green on the bench is better than having Perkins is all. How do you defend Howard if you see them, how do you defend LA if you see them? From what I understand Green is a much better 3 than anything else. When is he going to get the burn? It just doesn't make sense to me, looks like a move for the future and honestly I don't think they have much of a future beyond the useful life of their big three.

That is why I said Rondo and Green aren't winning shit in the east by themselves. Maybe I am looking at this wrong and should have more confidence in their current front line, but I dont.

But Rondo, Big Baby and Perkins were gonna get it done?

Ray Allen ain't chasing Melo all over the floor this year or any other either. They needed someone to do that.

Like you said, we'll see.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JJN » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:40 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:Green's a solid player but nobody guarded/annoyed Dwight Howard better than Perk. I like it for Boston long term but this could be big trouble for them if they play the Magic in the 2nd round (which is currently slated to happen).

Dewey has shot 46% against the C's this year without Perk. Granted in one of the two games he was in foul trouble, but being in foul trouble 50% of the time is about average for him anyways.

The Celtics can still defend against him, and unless he can start efficiently dropping 30 on them, the Magic don't have a chance with how they have been playing as of late. Who else can score consistently on the Magic? J-Rich's PPG is down by 6 since the trade, Arenas is torching the league with 7.8 points on a red hot 34% shooting, and I'm not convinced that, playing 2-on-1, Turkoglu and Reddick could guard my dead grandfather, let alone an NBA player.

Get the butter because the Magic are toast this year.
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby Cease » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 pm

ESPN noted that the C's never lost a playoff series with Rondo/Pierce/KG/Allen/Perkins starting all games. Just thought that was interesting and impressive.

This move puts a lot of weight on Shaq, which is insane, IMO. Celt's will have to pick up another big to hedge the O'Neals collective health. My money is on Leon Powe.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:17 am

JJN wrote:
Kingpin74 wrote:Green's a solid player but nobody guarded/annoyed Dwight Howard better than Perk. I like it for Boston long term but this could be big trouble for them if they play the Magic in the 2nd round (which is currently slated to happen).

Dewey has shot 46% against the C's this year without Perk. Granted in one of the two games he was in foul trouble, but being in foul trouble 50% of the time is about average for him anyways.

The Celtics can still defend against him, and unless he can start efficiently dropping 30 on them, the Magic don't have a chance with how they have been playing as of late. Who else can score consistently on the Magic? J-Rich's PPG is down by 6 since the trade, Arenas is torching the league with 7.8 points on a red hot 34% shooting, and I'm not convinced that, playing 2-on-1, Turkoglu and Reddick could guard my dead grandfather, let alone an NBA player.

Get the butter because the Magic are toast this year.

Exactly.

The Celts aren't worried about Orlando. Hell, let the big man get forty. They, and everyone else is going to score at will anyways. I think the Heat, who are obviously looking up at the Celts, are clearly better than Orlando. Heat warts and all.

I like the trade for both squads, with perhaps a shade more risk for the Celts for THIS year. But not much. As it stands right now there are three other teams that can win the east aside from Boston. Already mentioned Orlando (and I'm real close to thinking they have no chance) with the Heat it's simply going to come down to greatness. If Lebron and Wade play at a high level they gotta chance, but that's not predicated on the Celts having Perkins or Green, so I don't think it bothers them there. I do think it could effect them against Chicago. If the flying O'neal brothers can't get their act together, that's the team that could really take advantage.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:20 am

We can say for certain there's no smiling in Miami tonight. O-U-C-H.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:55 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:We can say for certain there's no smiling in Miami tonight. O-U-C-H.

LOL, I didnt watch because well, I dont even care enough to root against the Heat, but Bosh really went 1 for 18 from the field? Wow.

Like a Bosh
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:58 am

"Bosh Spice" is trending on Twitter...
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:53 am

KGTrashTalk having fun at RuPaul's expense

KGTrashTalk Bosh Spice is being too polite...he shall forever be known as Bosh Vanilli Ice K-Fed Durst Diddy Hammer

[quoteKGTrashTalk It is now official. CBS will be replacing recently dropped 'Two And A Half Men' with 'LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris ][/quote]

KGTrashTalk How do we know Bosh Spice is really a man though? Give this bitch a saliva test please
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Getting a million under the cap allows ya to go well over it. Nice work by Presti to lock down a 26 yr old center for the next four years (I believe- the length of the deal wasn't specified).

The Oklahoma City Thunder signed center Kendrick Perkins to a multiyear contract extension Tuesday, the team announced.

Perkins will receive almost $36 million fully guaranteed in the contract, his agent, Bob Myers, told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA