Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Combine Primer

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Combine Primer

Unread postby jta1975 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:31 am

O.k. The action of the combine gets underway Wed. The big uglies of the O-line kick off the show and the begin the bathing suit parade.

Participants------http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants?module=Combine_CP
Schedule-----http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/37603/nfl-combine-player-schedule

There are many things that I am interested to see. Some height-weight measurements,bench and bag drills from the D-line guys, and speed and agility from the WRs and CBs. The part I would love to see is the interviews. This is key to some of the QBs for sure and the general football knowledge and passion of some other positions.

Look I know some of these drills and test are bogus and I agree. What really stands out the most to me is when you see a guy breathing hard and looking gassed. The one thing that a guy should be is in shape. I mean these guys have been training for months for the biggest job interview of their life. The one thing you can control is being in shape. To look gassed after a few drills is not good. Most of the Bigs will look bad with their shirt off, but you have a good level of conditioning. It speaks to the level of integrity. Also, guys who are overweight right now should be taken off of your list immediately.

Things of interest to me for various reasons......

RBs- I want to see who is the strongest fastest smaller back. I am looking for a little fast guy for 3rd downs. Hunter,Rodgers,Vereen.

Wrs- I am very interested in top end speed of Green. He plays fast, I wonder if it a case like Joe Haden or is his time fast too. If you watched any tape on Haden he played crazy fast, times not so great. I am also interested if there is a Desean Jackson type of speed guy. They say Titus Young has Jackson like qualities, DJ was a 4.3 guy on the clock. If Young,Torrey Smith,Jerrel Jernigan,Edmund Gates,or Randall Cobb want to be in the Jackson conversation, they better be fast. No drops either in this controlled environment. Good measure of concentration.

OL- I want to see how strong Pinkston,Love,and Sherrod are and how good of an athlete is Jah Reid. Guys who play tackle should do well doing the shadow drill or they will quickly become guards.

DL- I am interested in all of these guys strength and agility. This is going to be key to us putting a defense on the field that can compete. I have particular interest in Robert Quinn's measurements. This will tell if he will be targeted as a true rush DE or a 3-4 OLB. Athletically he can do either. He has not played in a year so he probably has been training for a certain position. What he views himself as is just as important as what you want him to be. The mind is hard to trick. 260 and under I bet he sees himself as a 3-4 OLB. Above 270 I bet he want to play end. In between he is leaving his options open. How much more athletic is Fairley than Dareus?

LB is the hardest to get anything from the combine except the really slow guys stay inside when running a 4 LB "D". You can also find your nickel guys when doing drop drills.

You need tape for the position. It is really more about being physical,reading,reacting, and instincts to be really good. Being a 3-4OLB is about superior athletes and we are not running that type of defense.

DB- The overall speed to help judge recovering ability and a good vertical always helps judge explosion out of breaks to the ball. Drop drills will show who can play cover corner and who is better suited for the zone schemes.

Will Cam Newton look way better than the rest who throw?
Can Peterson really run sub 4.3?
Can Dontay Moch really run a 4.3

Let the show begin
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Re: Combine Primer

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:37 am

This is for you what the NCAA opening Thursday is for me.

You're a combine whore ;-) ;) :wink:

By the way, I don't have DirectTv or the NFL Network.

How do I see any of this that I want to see? Any ideas?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:43 am

JTA, I hope to not show any bias, but could you see someone like Sazenbacher being a valuable pickup, like say in the 5th round for the Brownies? Does he have a pro future at this point?

and what of Cecil Shorts, do you have an opinion of him?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby jta1975 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:53 am

peeker643 wrote:This is for you what the NCAA opening Thursday is for me.

NFL.com usually have live feeds. Go there once the workouts start and you can usually see most of it. I watched most of it online last year

If you want to watch the nfl network coverage go to the nfl offseason thread in the forums section of myp2p.eu and follow directions.

I am loose when it comes to the subject, not the high class appointment only type either. The dirty one on the corner is who I would be sharing johns with...Hahahaha
jta1975

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:57 am

jta1975 wrote:

NFL.com usually have live feeds. Go there once the workouts start and you can usually see most of it. I watched most of it online last year

If you want to watch the nfl network coverage go to the nfl offseason thread in the forums section of myp2p.eu and follow directions.

I am loose when it comes to the subject, not the high class appointment only type either. The dirty one on the corner is who I would be sharing johns with...Hahahaha

Don't tell SoulDawg, but Cam going thorugh all the drills is impressive to me. He's bright enough to either volunteer to do it all when he doesn't have to or bright enough to take the advice of whoever told him to do it.

Unless he effs everything up. Then he's an idiot. ;-) ;) :wink:

Interested to hear your thoughts on Triple S's questions myself.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jta1975 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:19 am

Triple-S wrote:JTA, I hope to not show any bias, but could you see someone like Sazenbacher being a valuable pickup, like say in the 5th round for the Brownies? Does he have a pro future at this point?

Sazenbacher has to have a decent 40 and good short shuttle for his stock to improve. He will catch everything and for a smaller Wr he fights for the ball well. I do think he can be a value pick in the last two rounds of the draft.His future is in the slot so his short quicks are important. I do think he will make a roster because he will be good on special teams.He is tough and will have no problem playing gunner or running down on kicks.

If Shorts shows he can get off the line of scrimmage, he will be a good pro. He actually has the ability to get separation because he doesn't loose speed coming out of breaks. He will have to prove he can adjust to the dramatic change in level of competition. That is why proving he can get off the line against bigger faster guys will be crucial to his success.

These guys will be competing for the same type of draft position so it will be good to see them side by side at the combine. I actually think both are making rosters with Shorts upside being higher long term.
jta1975

Unread postby jta1975 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:26 am

peeker643 wrote:
jta1975 wrote:

Don't tell SoulDawg, but Cam going thorugh all the drills is impressive to me. He's bright enough to either volunteer to do it all when he doesn't have to or bright enough to take the advice of whoever told him to do it.

You know he did the right thing by deciding to. He was getting questioned on the network on what he was trying to hide. The next day the news came out he was going to do everything. I agree that it is smart. The I have nothing to hide approach is his best route.

He should however fight the urge to say things like this.

http://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/40144506368176128
jta1975

Unread postby jta1975 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:53 am

jta1975 wrote:
Triple-S wrote:JTA, I hope to not show any bias, but could you see someone like Sazenbacher being a valuable pickup, like say in the 5th round for the Brownies? Does he have a pro future at this point?

Sazenbacher has to have a decent 40 and good short shuttle for his stock to improve. He will catch everything and for a smaller Wr he fights for the ball well. I do think he can be a value pick in the last two rounds of the draft.His future is in the slot so his short quicks are important. I do think he will make a roster because he will be good on special teams.He is tough and will have no problem playing gunner or running down on kicks.

If Shorts shows he can get off the line of scrimmage, he will be a good pro. He actually has the ability to get separation because he doesn't loose speed coming out of breaks. He will have to prove he can adjust to the dramatic change in level of competition. That is why proving he can get off the line against bigger faster guys will be crucial to his success.

These guys will be competing for the same type of draft position so it will be good to see them side by side at the combine. I actually think both are making rosters with Shorts upside being higher long term.

I would love to say this guy can be a Wes Welker type of player, but you can't actually measure any "one" thing to say it. I mean how does a guy who is 5foot 8 and some change,not even invited to the combine,runs 4.65 forty at his pro day go on to be what he is? I don't know other than to say he has been really productive at every level of football no matter what position he played or what he has been asked to do. Dane already has a better start than him by being able to showcase himself at the combine.

He could go 4th or 5th but to consider him a "value"pick he would have to go later.
jta1975

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:50 am

Is there a place I can look up to see which DIII players are there, and how they are doing? My daughter's friend was supposedly invited to a 'combine', with prospects for NFL Europe. Is there a separate combine for that?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:16 am

googleeph2 wrote:Is there a place I can look up to see which DIII players are there, and how they are doing? My daughter's friend was supposedly invited to a 'combine', with prospects for NFL Europe. Is there a separate combine for that?

I though NFL Europe shut down about 3 years ago? Could be wrong on that, not sure.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:58 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jta1975 wrote:

SD:

I feel ya Peeks but its to late for the congregation to chip in now , the mortgage came due and the banks gonna turn the parish into a parking lot.

Even though that kid inserted foot in mouth with his Lebron type self hype statements , expecting him to be there at 6 after Sunday would be like the snowman you build today still standing there in June.

One thing however which went unnoticed in the group Luv in statements by all concerned that Colt is just the perfect little baby is Heckerts caveat.

"""Heckert said, philosophically, he would never pass a quarterback in the draft that he believed to be "great.""""

So lets hope that ain't Locker Mallet or Gabbert if Newton is gone.

Gabbert at 6'5" may have a weaker arm than McCoy and the pussy is trying to hide it , while Mallet throws the best ball in College but has no heart eclipsed only by Locker a superb athlete who may run a sub 4.4 forty but is so short of game brains , he 'd make DA look like a rocket scientist .

We'll never get Newton , those type talents get drafted by everybody else butt Cleveland , so I'm on to Luck Barkley and Pryor and give me Ingram after we trade down because we need everything in duplicate and Quinn Peterson Newton and Greene will be gone.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:13 am

I know weights don't hit back, but wow.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl-327050
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby hiko » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:14 pm

Did Peterson run his 40 yet? There's just so many guys that could fall to us that I'd love to have... wish we had 3 Top 10 picks. :pigs:
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 pm

hiko wrote:Did Peterson run his 40 yet? There's just so many guys that could fall to us that I'd love to have... wish we had 3 Top 10 picks. :pigs:

Think they would take Antwan Jamison and Varejo for....
...wrong team.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby yogi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:26 pm

hiko wrote:Did Peterson run his 40 yet? There's just so many guys that could fall to us that I'd love to have... wish we had 3 Top 10 picks. :pigs:

DBs are on Tuesday, they are doing DL today and let me tell you, these guys are all fast!

I think I would love a DL/DL double daily in the first 2 rounds.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:27 pm

googleeph2 wrote: My daughter's friend was supposedly invited to a 'combine', with prospects for NFL Europe. Is there a separate combine for that?

I'm pretty sure it is a ruse for either a "Hostel" or "Taken" scenario depending upon the gender of this friend.

Intervene at once. get Interpol involved asap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFLE
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:52 pm

Almost all of these DLs are running sub 5.00 40's.

But Casey Matthews just blew a shoulder in the bench press and is done.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:32 pm

Browns | Talked with Noel Devine

Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:15:11 -0800

West Virginia RB Noel Devine said he has talked with the Cleveland Browns at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Comment (0) | Share: | Source: KFFL.com

Browns | Met with Patrick Peterson

Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:00:05 -0800

Louisiana State CB Patrick Peterson said he has met with the Cleveland Browns at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Browns | Have talked with Will Hill

Sun, 27 Feb 2011 14:56:27 -0800

University of Florida S Will Hill said he has spoken with the Cleveland Browns at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Browns | Have talked with Allen Bailey

Sat, 26 Feb 2011 14:14:16 -0800

University of Miami DE Allen Bailey said he has talked with Cleveland Browns at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Browns | Have met with Tyron Smith

Sat, 26 Feb 2011 13:05:43 -0800

Southern California OT Tyron Smith said he has met with the Cleveland Browns at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl#ixzz1FJ79lZHL

Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Tyron's projected to be a 1st rounder.

Am mixed as hell on drafting him. One on hand, Why draft a RT that high? on another hand, he would shore up the offensive line for years to come and would fill a hole that I believe caused a lot of the problems for the Brownies. "The Matador" John St. Clair got every damn QB we had on roster hurt.

Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:43 pm

Per the man himself, just tweeted at Cecil Shorts, asking him if the Browns have looked at him

"CShorts10 yea somewhat lol"

So add him up there to the list of players that have been looked at by the Brownies in Indy.

Triple-S

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:58 pm

FTR, Wes Welker attributes his ability to find open spots on the field to his soccer playing youth....gag choke gag vomit gag

If you think about it tho it makes perfect sense fom a field awareness perspective

...and I have no problem with Patrick Peterson who makes more sense @6 than DL
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby jta1975 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:54 am

First off lets understand the job fair that the combine is, is just a tool. The real reasons guys drop like rocks come from medical and character concerns which most people don't really disclose until after the fact anyway.

It really can be a determining factor in judging guys who have close grades and similar draft slots. The more athletic one usually will go higher. Guys with similar resumes may get sized up against each other. Suh, McCoy, Peterson, Amukamara. Also, change of direction skills and 10yard and 20 yard splits are just as important and for many positions more important than 40 times.

We really got a great draft to get younger on the D-line. Even if we go with another position with the 6th pick. We will have a chance to get at least a very good DT and one of the LDEs could fall to that pick.

Some random thoughts from the combine

Peterson's size and speed is impressive but Amukamara helped himself greatly running as well as he did.

Julio Jones is an absolute beast. Green will still be picked higher.

Robert Quinn is truly leaving his mind open on what position he sees for himself, being 265 he can go up or down five to 7 pounds with ease.

Stephen Paea putting up 225 49 times is truly insane. No matter how much power you have when doing a "Max" lift, the muscle stamina to put that weight up that many times is truly incredible.

It figures the year the Browns switch to the from the 3-4, there are plenty of guys who fit the criteria for both DE and OLB.

The final note, we were talking about Dane S and Shorts, those guys both finished in the top 5 in the short shuttle and 3 cone drill which shows potential for both. It shows the potential for Dane to play in the slot and get open it tight spaces. Shorts the same and reinforces what I saw as far as creating separation out of breaks.
jta1975

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL