Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Plain Dealer is Pathetic

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Plain Dealer is Pathetic

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:56 am

Brian Windhorst still the best beat reporter Cavs have.

Reporting on 'KNR (yes, I have an old truck that gets nothing but AM/FM that I use) that Cavs have a deal on the table that they're debating for the Trade Exception. Deciding whether to use it. He said it would be considered 'major' deal but not a blockbuster and he said it's not Gerald Wallace.

Cavs have been weighing the deal for a couple weeks and it would take a big outlay of money from Gilbert to do it and they're looking at whether the player is worth the coin over the next couple years.

Also notes Dan Gilbert on NBA Owners negotiating team that will handle the upcoming CBA talks and that Gilbert and many owners are bound and determined to make sure 24 teams out there aren't relegated to irrelevancy.

We'll see how that goes but why the eff is it a Heat...err..ESPN writer the one reporting all of this Cleveland info while Mary S Boyer fucking naps?

Sad. Not unexpected, but sad.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Plain Dealer is Pathetic

Unread postby papacass » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Windhorst? Hell, Kelly Dwyer covers the Cavs better than MSB. And he has no connections to Cleveland that I'm aware of.

Regarding a trade itself, I'm just hoping they use a chunk of the trade exception so they can roll the rest over to next year. Emerge from the lockout with some bullets still in the chamber.

Ideally, they'd buy a contract and get a first-round pick for their trouble. Kind of like the would-be Gerald Wallace deal, but maybe on a smaller scale.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:48 pm

Gallinari? Oden?

A) When is the actual deadline?

and

B) Can somebody explain how a trade exception works? I'm dumb.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby MikeCheckGW » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:Gallinari? Oden?

A) When is the actual deadline?

and

B) Can somebody explain how a trade exception works? I'm dumb.

The trade deadline is Thursday at 3pm EST, I believe.

The trade exception can be traded to take on a player or players without giving up a player. Its good for teams to unload a player for salary cap relief.
MikeCheck

Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.
MikeCheckGW

Favorite Player: Asdrubal
Least Favorite Player: LBJ

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:58 pm

Deadline is 3pm Thursday. TPE works like a sponge for a deal up to 14.5 million. Can take on player salary up to 14.5 million. Can be used in pats. TPE's are generated when a player with that salary is traded for draft picks.

I was thinking that the exact same thing on MSB when I read the piece in today's PD. I hate that fat traitor (not personal, in a sports related way), but I know if he were still at the PD I would be reading a decent piece.

Past 2 guys to do the ABJ Cavaliers beat have went on to much larger success. The PeeDee doesn't Sports section blows. All these f'er must have tenure.
Last edited by Orenthal on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby papacass » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:58 pm

MikeCheckGW wrote:The trade exception can be traded to take on a player or players without giving up a player. Its good for teams to unload a player for salary cap relief.

Which is unique to the NBA because the financial value exchanged in trades has to match to within 15 percent. That's the whole premise behind the trade exception.
papacass

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks for the explanations.

So, do we have to use it all at one time or can we just use a part of it?
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:06 pm

Yes it can be used in parts. Toronto has already done that, and I believe has less then 10 million left.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby papacass » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:07 pm

Bill the Butcher wrote:Thanks for the explanations.

You can use a portion and then roll the remainder over to the following season. That's what the Sonics/Thunder did with the exception they received when Rashard Lewis signed with the Magic.
papacass

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:10 pm

BTW it lasts a year and a day from when it was generated. Basically around July 10th.
Orenthal

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:31 pm

papacass wrote:

You can use a portion and then roll the remainder over to the following season. That's what the Sonics/Thunder did with the exception they received when Rashard Lewis signed with the Magic.

So, if the Cavs use part, do they get to roll the remainder over to be used until July 10, 2012?

Or do they get a year from the trade (if it happens), which would be Feb 23, 2012 (about)?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby pup » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:36 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
papacass wrote:

So, if the Cavs use part, do they get to roll the remainder over to be used until July 10, 2012?

Or do they get a year from the trade (if it happens), which would be Feb 23, 2012 (about)?

The exemption is good from the time it is acquired. Which was ~ July 9, 2010 and good until July 10, 2011. Has nothing to do with when we use it. The team we trade it to would have 1 year from the day we send that part to them.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Anything left expires on July 10th'ish.
Orenthal

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:39 pm

pup wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
papacass wrote:

The exemption is good from the time it is acquired. Which was ~ July 9, 2010 and good until July 10, 2011. Has nothing to do with when we use it. The team we trade it to would have 1 year from the day we send that part to them.

gotcha. That's what I thought originally. I got excited and thought that your earlier post meant teh clock started over at zero if you use part of it.

As usual, I'm an idiot.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby papacass » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Hold it, you can trade a trade exception? I thought the purpose of the trade exception was to allow a team to take on salary without giving up salary. It would seem kind of unfair if a team could offload a big contract and then get a trade exception for that amount to use later. It's like getting double points.

My understanding is that if the Cavs use say $7M of their $14.5M LBJ exception, they could take the remaining $7.5M and roll it over to the 2011-12 NBA year. The remainder of the exception would then need to be used by June 30, 2012.

But you can only roll over a portion. And maybe that portion is capped at a certain amount, I'm not sure.

But I'm pretty sure the Thunder used that Lewis TE over the span of several trades beyond one NBA calendar year.
papacass

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:54 pm

A TPE cannot be traded to be used by another team as a TPE. The Sonics/Thunder used the TPE in pieces. Usually taking on a bad contract, that was short on years (i.e. 1-2). The biggest thing they did was turn taking Kurt Thomas into several draft picks. They did that when they took on his deal (2 #1's), and then when they dealt him to a team needing a big (1 #1).

ETA
Looks like they did not split the TPE. Just thought that because he did so a good job of snowballing that initial Kurt Thomas deal into more and more assets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Presti
Orenthal

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:09 pm

BTW http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q19

On topic
TRADED PLAYER EXCEPTION -- This exception is used for trades, and cannot be used to sign free agents. It allows teams to acquire more salary in a trade than they send away. It also allows teams to take up to a year to complete some trades, banking a credit in the interim. This exception is discussed in detail in question numbers 71 and 72. Also see question number 20 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

Follow the link for answers to 71 and 72.
Orenthal

Unread postby pup » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:43 pm

papacass wrote:Hold it, you can trade a trade exception? I thought the purpose of the trade exception was to allow a team to take on salary without giving up salary. It would seem kind of unfair if a team could offload a big contract and then get a trade exception for that amount to use later. It's like getting double points.

My understanding is that if the Cavs use say $7M of their $14.5M LBJ exception, they could take the remaining $7.5M and roll it over to the 2011-12 NBA year. The remainder of the exception would then need to be used by June 30, 2012.

But you can only roll over a portion. And maybe that portion is capped at a certain amount, I'm not sure.

But I'm pretty sure the Thunder used that Lewis TE over the span of several trades beyond one NBA calendar year.

My bad. I thought you traded the exemption. Instead you only use it.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:12 pm

<----- walks in

reads thread title

nods head in agreement

walks out
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby papacass » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:14 pm

To-do list for next CBA:

1. Prevent superstar players from running the league.

2. Rewrite the salary cap rules in a way that doesn't induce migraines.
papacass

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Tell ya what though, while I think it was a bit hypocritical of Windy to basically relegate himself to Puppet on a String status in Miami I'm no longer knocking the dude.

It's sad when that PoaS is still the best Cleveland sports writer and source of information.

That was as much a reason for the thread as the information he relayed.

Where thehell are the Cavaliers beat people while the deadline approaches? MSM hasn't tweeted since last Wednesday and her column Sunday was lazy and sad. Look at the draft profiles she had up. Sources were college's websites etc. One of the 'downfalls for a player profiled as a potential Top 10 pick was 'might not be athletic enough for NBA'.

What? You think that might pose a big enough problem to move him out of your top ten then.

Just disgusting.

She's terrible. Might be a great person but she's a hack.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:14 pm

Much like @cavsdan with #WhoreofAkron, The PD had no Plan B when @WindhorstESPN took his talents to South Beach. They called MSB back up from the D League. Her heart is so into it I doubt she complains when they send a sidekick on the road to cover half the games. Maybe she even opts out.

Would have much preferred to see Dennis Manoloff given the gig. Don't think he's ever been on the beat for any of our pro teams, but he brings a passion to his coverage far and above that of most of The PD's hacks. But then they'd have three 40+ white dudes covering the big leagues to go along with three 50+ white columnists, and of course they can't have that.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:16 pm

^ha in my first response I had things like liberal, and political correctness, in describing the crap that is the PeeDee Sports section. Kept it out cuz, we know this isn't NHB.

If anyone wants a laugh take a look at todays article or the profiles she did on our current players.

Terry Pluto outworks her...
Orenthal

Unread postby papacass » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:38 pm

I think MSB begged off the beat in the early '00s before Branson got the gig. She probably didn't want it back, but if she wants her job, she does what the sports editor tells her. No question, she's not really going the extra mile in her coverage.

Somehow, I don't think MLB and NBA beat reporting is a desirable job for most sportswriters. It takes a special breed to be willing to travel that much, on an erratic schedule.
papacass

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:53 pm

Godhatesclevelandsports, I agree with your points regarding Dennis Manoloff (sp?) being a major upgrade over the other PD writers. The guy writes with passion, is a Cleveland sports nut and can write an informative piece that is also entertaining.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby swerb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:38 pm

What I wanna know is what these hacks like Mary Schmitt Boyer and Livingston do all week.

Livingston writes 4-5 columns a week. We have guys that write 3-4 a week, put more into them than Livy, and also work 50-55 hours a week at the day job and deal with a wife and a couple young kids.

WTF is Livy doing all week? Would be like a Seinfeld episode if you put a hidden camera on that bum.

Peeker's commentary on Mary Schmitt Boyer just being lazy is spot on as well. It's an embarrassment.

The sports editor Roy Hewitt has gotta have pictures of someone high up at the PD romancing a goat. How that guy has kept his job is beyond me. His product is garbage.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:45 pm

swerb wrote:The sports editor Roy Hewitt has gotta have pictures of someone high up at the PD romancing a goat. How that guy has kept his job is beyond me. His product is garbage.

didn't he give the dudes from WFNY a gig over there as well?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:35 pm

MSB begs off the beat? What exactly was her job the past few years. Holding Windy's plate?
Orenthal

Unread postby papacass » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:55 pm

A local journalist friend/mentor of mine once told me that there are writers at the PD who have gone the better part of a year without a byline story.

You wonder why they've had a hiring freeze since the Clinton Administration? It's not dwindling circulation. They're overstaffed. From personal experience job hunting in my post-college days, I can say you almost certainly need to know someone on the inside to get a writing job there.
papacass

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:21 pm

papacass wrote:A local journalist friend/mentor of mine once told me that there are writers at the PD who have gone the better part of a year without a byline story.

You wonder why they've had a hiring freeze since the Clinton Administration? It's not dwindling circulation. They're overstaffed. From personal experience job hunting in my post-college days, I can say you almost certainly need to know someone on the inside to get a writing job there.

If you're saying they should call a meeting and then lock the doors and set fire to the building Cass, well, I think you're going a bit too far and I can't condone it.

But I agree they need new blood. And if they have to clean some of the old blood off the floor I'm okay with that if the violence is held to a reasonable level.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:39 am

peeker643 wrote:
papacass wrote:A local journalist friend/mentor of mine once told me that there are writers at the PD who have gone the better part of a year without a byline story.

If you're saying they should call a meeting and then lock the doors and set fire to the building Cass, well, I think you're going a bit too far and I can't condone it.

But I agree they need new blood. And if they have to clean some of the old blood off the floor I'm okay with that if the violence is held to a reasonable level.

Fire might be a bit too far, but I can envision something like the end of The Dirty Dozen.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:54 am

motherscratcher wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Fire might be a bit too far, but I can envision something like the end of The Dirty Dozen.

We need to lure them to a German Chateau? Dude, you can pick up a pack of matches for nothing at any bar, slip past a sleeping Bill Livingston who's moonlighting at the PD security desk and use their own cleaning chemicals to do it the way Cass suggested (even if it was a bit extreme of Cass to lay it out like that).

I just see all kinds of logistical issues getting them all to agree to go overseas. Christ, you can't get Bud Shaw to go to the Browns facility.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:01 am

peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

We need to lure them to a German Chateau? Dude, you can pick up a pack of matches for nothing at any bar, slip past a sleeping Bill Livingston who's moonlighting at the PD security desk and use their own cleaning chemicals to do it the way Cass suggested (even if it was a bit extreme of Cass to lay it out like that).

I just see all kinds of logistical issues getting them all to agree to go overseas. Christ, you can't get Bud Shaw to go to the Browns facility.

Yeah, a German Chateau. But who said anything about overseas? CDT lives in Columbus, right? You know he has a shitload of WW2 grenades lying around, too.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby jta1975 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:12 am

Did you read her list of things each player needs to get better at over the second half? I started laughing so hard I almost pissed. I thought I was talking to my 9 year old daughter...The only scoops she has are...Well you know what I mean!
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:53 am

See also; the Wisconsin union thread in NHB'd.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA