Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

'Melo to NY

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: 'Melo to NJ in Advanced Stages

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:54 pm

I repeat: Melo + burnt-out Amare + mortal remains of Billups = Chinese knockoff Heat.

The aftermath of the new CBA is going to be high-larious to watch.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:12 am

God does this sport need a lockout.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:27 am

Burnt out Amare? Look, I am all in on the Melo being overrated because he is a one way/dimensional player but Amare is having a monster year. Insane. Even found his ability to block shots again.

As for the need for a lockout and the whining about the sport, ha. Cry me a river, guy who would never lead a team to a title alone got dealt before being massively overpaid for a solid package. A better package in relative terms than what the Indians got for two Cy Young winners and an All-Star catcher.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:47 am

Too bad LeBron and 'Melo didn't happen in reverse. The Cavaliers never could have entertained thoughts of trading James last year. That package Denver got... Damn.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:48 am

"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:56 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Burnt out Amare? Look, I am all in on the Melo being overrated because he is a one way/dimensional player but Amare is having a monster year. Insane. Even found his ability to block shots again.

Burnt out was a little too much, yeah, but from what I'm reading STAT's tired. D'Antoni's been riding his dented knees like a rented mule.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Lokais » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:36 am

Haha, I was at the Garden last week. Amar'e looks good to me. Unless by burnt out you mean having a career year?
Lokais

Unread postby trsteve1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:25 am

I'm tired of hearing all the sportscasters talk about the NBA having more irrelevant teams now..
The NBA has ALWAYS had the most irrelevant teams out of the 3 big major sports
Last 20 years..
NBA has had 7 different champions
MLB has had 12 different champions
NLF has had 13 different champions

Surprisingly the MLB has had more parity than many would believe (with teams like the White Sox, Cardinals and Marlins winning random single championships).. To say that all of a sudden there are less relevant teams in the league is like saying that you are alone on Valentine's day, when you haven't dated in 10 years.. it's a true statement, and yet hardly new information..
Le sigh
trsteve1

Favorite Player: Nolan Ryan
Least Favorite Player: Troy Aikman

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 am

trsteve1 wrote:I'm tired of hearing all the sportscasters talk about the NBA having more irrelevant teams now..
The NBA has ALWAYS had the most irrelevant teams out of the 3 big major sports
Last 20 years..
NBA has had 7 different champions
MLB has had 12 different champions
NLF has had 13 different champions

Surprisingly the MLB has had more parity than many would believe (with teams like the White Sox, Cardinals and Marlins winning random single championships).. To say that all of a sudden there are less relevant teams in the league is like saying that you are alone on Valentine's day, when you haven't dated in 10 years.. it's a true statement, and yet hardly new information..

Yep. Just blows that this team is back to being one of them.

There's no SF Giants in the NBA. You can literally eliminate 24 teams before the first tip of the season.

That said, NY did the right thing. You can fill in guys like Gallinari, etc. You can't find too many guys like Carmelo, despite his numerous shortcomings, who require a double team all night on that end and who can hurt you inside and out.

They still have no shot as they need a defensive presence in the middle and a PG. But when Paul or Deron Williams is at PG next season (and one WILL be) they'll be real close.

If you don't play near an ocean-front beach your title aspirations are now outta reach. San Antonio excluded.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:03 pm

Not going to win a title this year with him. Next year he could have been signed as a FA. Only difference is you have Billups this year and next. However, you lose the young guys that will be needed to get over the hump.

IMO typical NY Knicks move.
Orenthal

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:49 pm

peeker643 wrote:They still have no shot as they need a defensive presence in the middle and a PG. But when Paul or Deron Williams is at PG next season (and one WILL be) they'll be real close.

But will they be able to sign them?
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:04 pm

^It will be tough. Between Amare and 'Melo you have 40 million locked up. Billups has a TO at 14 million. The Knicks would have to waive their rights to him to free the cap hold. The rest of their team is eh. So basically you'd have close to 20ish million available. You'd have a Miami redux, but with even less money to be spent on surrounding pieces.
Orenthal

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:32 pm

Orenthal wrote:^It will be tough. Between Amare and 'Melo you have 40 million locked up. Billups has a TO at 14 million. The Knicks would have to waive their rights to him to free the cap hold. The rest of their team is eh. So basically you'd have close to 20ish million available. You'd have a Miami redux, but with even less money to be spent on surrounding pieces.

That's under the current CBA, though. I can't imagine the new CBA will be as accommodating.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Re: 'Melo to NY

Unread postby swerb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:13 pm

Woj absolutely skewers Isiah in this piece. Damn!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... hony022211
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: 'Melo to NY

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:03 am

swerb wrote:Woj absolutely skewers Isiah in this piece. Damn!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... hony022211

Once, Thomas brought Dolan with him on a comic-strip recruiting mission of Kobe Bryant(notes): Together, they traveled to California armed with an electric offer: Come take the midlevel exception for a chance to play with Stephon Marbury(notes). Somehow, Bryant decided to re-sign a max deal with the Los Angeles Lakers and keep winning championships.

:lmfao:
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Previous

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA