Text Size

College Sports Arena

Buckeyes vs Purdont 1/25/11

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Buckeyes vs Purdont 1/25/11

Unread postby fairvis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:24 pm

This is as complete of a game as I've seen on both ends so far. Bucks up 56-33 at 16:29 left in the second half. Craft is one sneaky little dude...
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: Buckeyes vs Purdont 1/25/11

Unread postby Squints » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:35 pm

After a few games where they didn't play like their ranking, these last two games have erased doubt. A nice comeback win on the road and this rout going on right now. While I've watched most of every televised Buckeye games this year, I haven't watched any other major college basketball. But it's tough to imagine another team as complete as the Buckeyes. I would still like to see another player work his way into the rotation even if it is to spell the starters a few extra minutes a game.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:40 pm

meh...wait till the games at mackey.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:18 am

I was there. Purpoo was just awful. Aaron Craft's crossover was sick.

Sullinger is the best and I won't hear anything different.

This backloaded schedule is awesome.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:08 am

Squints wrote:I would still like to see another player work his way into the rotation even if it is to spell the starters a few extra minutes a game.

You know what Matta says when he's asked about playing his guys so many minutes...

"They can rest in April"

I did think Craft kind of ran out of gas near the end. It was pretty cool though, how they were still diving on the floor after loose balls with a 28-point lead with 3 minutes to go.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby Squints » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:58 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I understand Matta's logic, but I can't get last year's sweet 16 game out of my head. You had Bruce Pearl subbing his players like he was a hockey coach and the Bucks had their rotation of 6. We looked out of gas in that second half.

After 2 to 3 games a week for 4 months, post-season brings 3 in 3 days if they make the finals of the Big 10 tourney, three days off and then the first 2 rounds. 5 games, 9-10 days, after already playing 30 games. If there's an area of concern, that would be it for me. This team is different from last year's, rotation has ballooned to 7, team is more complete (too much reliance on Turner imo) and we have a dominant big man. Barring injury here's hoping we can get away with it.

Love Sullinger, he'd look good in wine and gold. The announcers did say he wants to play two years at OSU. See how that plays out.

Triple S- don't think for one minute that we think you watched that game, said "meh" and turned it off. We know better than that. The Bucks d made it look like Purdue never got off the bus. Lighty going to the basket whenever, Craft's d, Diebler getting a rebound on the front end of a 1 and 1 when both Purdue defenders didn't even get off the block. For you, I hope it was an aberration.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:27 am

Squints wrote:Triple S- don't think for one minute that we think you watched that game, said "meh" and turned it off.

Bucks are a National Championship contender and are 9-1 against the Boilermakers at Value City the past ten games. I knew it wasn't their night to pull off an upset when in the early going Purdue was not hitting their shots.

I'm not sure how good Purdue is at this point, They've lost to Minnesota at Minneapolis and WVU (final four team last year) at Morgantown. But demolished Michigan State, a team that could still very well contend for the Big Ten title in West Lafayette.

The "meh", wasn't a slight towards the Bucks in the least, just didn't think this was going to be the Boilers night in the least bit. Depending on how these next 5 go against Minnesota, Wisconsin X2 (always a challenge), Illinois, and rival Indiana, you could very well be talking about a different game next time the two play in West Lafayette.

This all being said, Bucks have a pretty clear path to the National Championship in my view, maybe Pitt, Duke or UConn could stumble them up, but I doubt it.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby statmasta » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:51 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I was there. Purpoo was just awful. Aaron Craft's crossover was sick.

Sullinger is the best and I won't hear anything different.

This backloaded schedule is awesome.

The best.......in the country? I love Sullinger, he's darn near unstoppable, but he's not better than Jimmer Fredette. He can't even be in the discussion with Fredette.

Fredette scored 43 points on the #4 team in the country. He's truly unstoppable.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:40 am

statmasta wrote:Fredette scored 43 points on the #4 team in the country. He's truly unstoppable.

Fredette is very good. San Diego State, is not.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:05 pm

so guys did you catch the game today?

Triple-S

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Triple-S wrote:Image

You know, I've watched a lot of Buckeye basketball this season and I can't get past the fact that if these kids played with the same intensity that the far less talented kids at CSU played with they'd still be unbeaten and unlikely to be beaten.

They get lazy as hell at times. The careless passes today from Diebler, the indecison and allowing a triple team to reach him with Sullinger, all of it was hard to watch.

They look like they're going through the motions at times. And FTR, Lighty makes me nervous as shit at the free throw line and he's a guy that's going to always be on the floor in games whatever the score.

I understand Purdue is a really good basketball team as is Wisconsin. But match their fucking intensity at the very least.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:41 pm

...at least the Buckeyes lost to a respectable and ranked team, hey JoJo?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:48 pm

JARED SULLINGER #1 PICK IN THE NBA DRAFT WOOHOO!!!!

6 REBOUNDS BABY!!!!!#$!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby neoleo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:46 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:JARED SULLINGER #1 PICK IN THE NBA DRAFT WOOHOO!!!!

6 REBOUNDS BABY!!!!!#$!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/pr ... erId=51385
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby neoleo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:50 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Image

You know, I've watched a lot of Buckeye basketball this season and I can't get past the fact that if these kids played with the same intensity that the far less talented kids at CSU played with they'd still be unbeaten and unlikely to be beaten.

They get lazy as hell at times. The careless passes today from Diebler, the indecison and allowing a triple team to reach him with Sullinger, all of it was hard to watch.

They look like they're going through the motions at times. And FTR, Lighty makes me nervous as shit at the free throw line and he's a guy that's going to always be on the floor in games whatever the score.

I understand Purdue is a really good basketball team as is Wisconsin. But match their fucking intensity at the very least.

Thad Matta does a lot of things well, mainly recruit, but his teams traditionally do some things that drive me crazy.

Not rebound. Lose focus. Miss free throws. Make stupid passes. Let a guy get a free layup instead of foul the living shit out of him like you play in the Big Ten and not the fucking local Y league.

Dallas Lauderdale is single handedly responsible for most of that list but everybody is guilty at times.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Craft picked a bad day to be careless with the basketball. OSU got off to a good start and then Buford picked up 2 fouls. They're a much different team without him on the floor. I'm not concerned. They lost to two of the best teams in the Big 10 and two of the country's best home teams.

There are no true road games in the NCAA tourney.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Credit Painter for a good plan...keep Buford and Diebler from getting 3-point looks, and give Lighty as many as he wants.....and credit the Purdue kids and staff for some great man-to-man defense for 40 minutes. Toughest defense they've seen all year. And Moore was en fuego.

Lighty and Thomas were 1 for 13 or something. Buford never got going. Craft turned it over more than usual, but still had an impressive game.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:45 pm

danwismar wrote:Credit Painter for a good plan...keep Buford and Diebler from getting 3-point looks, and give Lighty as many as he wants.....and credit the Purdue kids and staff for some great man-to-man defense for 40 minutes. Toughest defense they've seen all year. And Moore was en fuego.

Lighty and Thomas were 1 for 13 or something. Buford never got going. Craft turned it over more than usual, but still had an impressive game.

Do you see the lackadaisical nature rear it's head at times Dan? Even in wins they occasionally lose focus and struggle to find/maintain an intensity.

There's no sense complaining about two losses, on the road, to two legit Top 10-12 teams but God that worries me.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pup » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:04 pm

Find me a collection of 18-22 year olds that don't lose focus from time to time.

This was by far their worst performance on the season. Yet they were still alive with 5 minutes left in a building nobody else has won in either.

Purdue was off the charts defensively (Painter might have made them watch some film of that first game, huh). Moore got rolling and they had to use Lighty on the defensive end against Johnson because of foul trouble, leaving Buford on Moore.

I will take my chances in the rubber match of the B10 tourney.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:15 pm

pup wrote:Find me a collection of 18-22 year olds that don't lose focus from time to time.

True. But against Purdue on the road and in a building that was electric?
I can see losing focus against Wright State or some shit like that in December. Doing so now is just a red flag for me. Could it be a couple of the kids are up against the wall physically?

I dunno. Just gives me a bit of concern. And like I said, it's not who they lost to. It's more some the ancillary issues. Purdue and Wisconsin could both go deep in the tourney. It would not surprise me in the least.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pup » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:51 pm

Scratch it was Purdue and consider it was a team you just assaulted a couple weeks back.

This year, they all have some serious negatives to them. Bucks included. But if losing @ Purdue and Wisconsin are the worst performances they put forth, they will be ok. Especially since I didn't think the Wisconsin loss was because they played poorly. Wisconsin played a great final 15 minutes. Today is really the first time I watched them this season and thought "who are these cats?".
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:31 pm

pup wrote:Scratch it was Purdue and consider it was a team you just assaulted a couple weeks back.

This year, they all have some serious negatives to them. Bucks included. But if losing @ Purdue and Wisconsin are the worst performances they put forth, they will be ok. Especially since I didn't think the Wisconsin loss was because they played poorly. Wisconsin played a great final 15 minutes. Today is really the first time I watched them this season and thought "who are these cats?".

Ok. I'll trust ya. Mostly because you're right.

But if they don't win the whole damn thing I'm laying the crushing disappointment at your feet. :hide: :nanner:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Return to College Sports Arena