Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

New coaching staff

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

New coaching staff

Unread postby RedDawg » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:14 pm

If we were going to make a blueprint for how to clean house in the offices of Berea, I have to say that what The Big Show has done so far is encouraging.

I know its cool to bitch, whine and be skeptical because we have gone through this so many times. But maybe, just maybe the way its getting done this time shows why it didn't work all the other times? The San Fransisco Way (Policy/Palmer), the Dallas Way (Butchum/Campo), the Raven Way (Savage) and the Patriot Way (Crennel/Mangini).

Now we have the Eagle Way with another rookie HC. AUUGHHH!. How is this any different? Same song, different names? I don't think so. The Process is gone - and in its place, The System. Holmgren, Heckert, Haskell, Jauron and Rhodes are the most experienced group we have seen guiding our team - and it isn't even close.

Bringing in Cowher, Fox or Gruden was the sexy pick. Shurmur is the least exciting hire of the bunch. The thing that encourages me is how he fits within the whole. He joins a system founded on success, with multiple people that are very experienced and successful in their specialty.

Shurmur is not going to mess with the defense as Butch, Romeo and Mangini did. Jauron and Ray Rhodes are in charge of it and will work with Heckert to build within The System. Shurmur also will be amenable to listen to Holmgren and Haskell, and is likely well-versed in The System already.

2011 is going to be one long pre-season for 2012 and beyond. For those that lament not firing Mangini a year earlier and getting it over with, waiting a year gives us one more Heckert draft class to work with and pushes back expectations of a playoff-caliber team another year as well.

Holmgren/Heckert had an entire year to analyze both the players and the coaching staff to see whether they would be a good fit for The System as well.

It's pathetic to feel this way yet again, but it feels like the soldiers are finally paving the roads with stone instead of throwing straw on top and mucking ahead.

2011 and 2012 draft classes after a rebuild = HUGE.
RedDawg

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Rapistberger

Re: New coaching staff

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:41 pm

::doh::

:dead:
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby RedDawg » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:28 pm

C'mon man.

I went back and looked through the threads to see where anybody else talked about the new staff as a whole and didn't see a similar one. Three pages of who the OC might be, and not one post about the final product.

Are you really so jaded to ignore that we are used to the Browns hiring OCs and DCs with NO NFL experience, and now are hiring former DCs with 31 years in the NFL just to be the asst. DC?

That isn't the least significant?

Holmgren will be Obi Wan to Shurmur's Luke Skywalker, and Haskell his Yoda.

If this group can't create a winning NFL team by 2013 I'll be shocked.
RedDawg

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:42 pm

RedDawg wrote:Are you really so jaded.....

No issue with the thread or the subject matter but I think the answer to the truncated question above is, " We all are." ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby General » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:02 pm

peeker643 wrote:
RedDawg wrote:Are you really so jaded.....

No issue with the thread or the subject matter but I think the answer to the truncated question above is, " We all are." ;-) ;) :wink:

I am "so jaded" I firmly believe that the Browns are doing everything right to build a championship team for 2012. My thinking is that they will be steamrolling the league and on December 21, 2012 the world will end just as the Mayans predicted. :pb:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:25 pm

<-- Unfortunately, one of the jaded.

RedDawg wrote:Are you really so jaded to ignore that we are used to the Browns hiring OCs and DCs with NO NFL experience, and now are hiring former DCs with 31 years in the NFL just to be the asst. DC?

Last one was Foge, right? Till Butchum canned him at half-time.

Best part is that we have over 16 years average experience when you average OC & DC now. (^)
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby RedDawg » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:00 pm

LOL General. Great icon selection.

JB...Exactly.

We've had defensive coordinators under head coaches that were defensive coordinators - and these guys can't STFU and let their own DC do their job. It doesn't work.

Jauron and Rhodes will be able to do what they want without Shurmur riding them.

I can't believe Ryan stood there and took shit from Mangini every game. He should have given Mangini the headset, and taken Mangini's role of walking up and down the sideline with a big scowl on his face.

In hindsight, these FO/HC combinations were set up to fail the minute they were formed. Palmer as a first time HC with the shitpile of talent that he was given. Butch as Nero, with absolute power and a guy with NO NFL EXPERIENCE trying to do personnel. Savage was way over his head and so was RAC.

Mangini needed to call the defense himself, and he needed a shit hot offensive coordinator that he could trust enough to leave him alone. He was trying to be Belichik before he was ready. Mumbles was a good DC for a long time before he was a good HC.

This is the first time it seems to be set up the right way. Sure it's hindsight, but that was Jammies' job to make sure the foundation was laid the right way. Unfortunately he didn't know enough to be able to do it, and it took him this long to hire a HMFIC to do it right.

Now it's Holmgren's job to make sure it is. Gotta think he's going to do it to the best of his ability as his NFL legacy is in part riding on it.
RedDawg

Unread postby jta1975 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:35 pm

The number of coaches is what jumps out at me for sure. This tells me two things

One is that this is a guy Holmgren needs and wants to suceed(no shit). I know this sounds stupid, but how many HCs have we had that has unlimited resources at his disposal. I don't know this to be fact but 19 coaches is a big payroll. Not to mention the fired HCs we are still paying. The staff payroll must be huge.

The second thing the number of coaches reflects to me is Shurmur's lack of experience. A guy who has been around understands what he needs and would probably be able to streamline.

These guys better be on the same page because there is a awful lot of them to be making noise and having a voice. They better watch out for the too many chefs in the kitchen syndrome.

The real positive to me is that the guys on Defense are senior and are washed up HCs. This means that if they have success they won't be going anywhere to be HCs. This will promote continuity.
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL