Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Appetizer Ideas

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Appetizer Ideas

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:41 pm

I need a recipe or two for a party I am going to tonight. Looking for a recipe for an appetizer that is a little more fancy. Not looking for some queso dip or chicken wings. You know, not bar food, but doesnt have to be Wolfgang Puckish. Any good recipes out there?
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Appetizer Ideas

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:58 pm

Hot or cold? Can you cook/finish it at the party, or do you have to bring it finished?

Really basic - get some smoked salmon, sour cream, horseradish, capers, red onions and some type of cracker/biscuit. I like round buscuits. Also get a sixer of Great Lakes Dortmunder or Burining River.

Open a Great Lakes Dortmunder. Drink half. Chop the onions very fine. Drain the capers and chop very fine. Mix the sour cream and horseradish together to taste. Layout say 25 of the crackers on your counter. Smear on each the sour cream/horseradish. Take a cookie cutter, beer glass, shot glass, whatever is round and about the same size as your cracker and cut out rounds of the smoked salmon. Top each cracker with the salmon. Add a tiny bit more of the horseradish mixture on top of the salmon round. Sprinkle on the finely choped onions and finely chopped capers. Put on a nice platter. Drink the remiander of your beer.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:07 pm

Doesnt matter, hot/cold, can warm up at the party, but would prefer not to cook it there.

Love the idea, but the whole recipe is out, I am in Colorado and have no access to Dortmunder. I am sure the recipe doesnt work as well without it.

Actually I am not a huge seafood person, especially salmon, so while the others at the party would probably love it, I wouldnt but it does sound good. Got any with vegetable or animals that cluck or moo?
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:44 am

Make a nice bruschetta

Easy to make and is always a hit

Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil Recipe
)
Ingredients
6 or 7 ripe plum tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped.
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 baguette French bread or similar Italian bread
1/4 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 450
Parboil the tomatoes for one minute in boiling water that has just been removed from the burner. Drain, remove the skins of the tomatoes. Once the tomatoes are peeled, cut them in halves or quarters and remove the seeds and juice from their centers. Also cut out and discard the stem area. I use plum tomatoes as there are less seeds. Chop up the tomatoes finely. Put tomatoes, garlic, 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, vinegar in a bowl and mix. Add the chopped basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.

4Slice the baguette on a diagonal about 1/2 inch thick slices. Coat one side of each slice with olive oil using a pastry brush and rub a garlic clove on each piece. Place on a cooking sheet, olive oil side down. You will want to toast them in the top rack in your oven. Once the oven has reached 450°F, place a tray of bread slices in the oven on the top rack. Toast for 5-6 minutes, until the bread just begins to turn golden brown.

Align the bread on a serving platter, olive oil side up. Either place the tomato topping in a bowl separately with a spoon for people to serve themselves over the bread, or place some topping on each slice of bread and serve. If you top each slice with the tomatoes, do it right before serving or the bread may get soggy.
serves 6-8 people
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby swerb » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:21 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Make a nice bruschetta

Easy to make and is always a hit

Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil Recipe
)
Ingredients
6 or 7 ripe plum tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped.
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 baguette French bread or similar Italian bread
1/4 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 450
Parboil the tomatoes for one minute in boiling water that has just been removed from the burner. Drain, remove the skins of the tomatoes. Once the tomatoes are peeled, cut them in halves or quarters and remove the seeds and juice from their centers. Also cut out and discard the stem area. I use plum tomatoes as there are less seeds. Chop up the tomatoes finely. Put tomatoes, garlic, 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, vinegar in a bowl and mix. Add the chopped basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.

4Slice the baguette on a diagonal about 1/2 inch thick slices. Coat one side of each slice with olive oil using a pastry brush and rub a garlic clove on each piece. Place on a cooking sheet, olive oil side down. You will want to toast them in the top rack in your oven. Once the oven has reached 450°F, place a tray of bread slices in the oven on the top rack. Toast for 5-6 minutes, until the bread just begins to turn golden brown.

Align the bread on a serving platter, olive oil side up. Either place the tomato topping in a bowl separately with a spoon for people to serve themselves over the bread, or place some topping on each slice of bread and serve. If you top each slice with the tomatoes, do it right before serving or the bread may get soggy.
serves 6-8 people

Made this last weekend Larvell. It was outstanding. Thanks.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry