Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Top Chef: All-Star Edition

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Top Chef: All-Star Edition

Unread postby Squints » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:35 pm

Why not? I started watching this show a few episodes into season 5 so I don't know all the contestants. But, being a fan of a few reality shows I have come to know that when a show does an all-star edition, it usually means said show needs a shot in the arm.

Second episode aired last night. Jeen C.'s partner (Jamie) slices her hand, she does to the ER, Jen makes a crappy dish, defends her crappy dish by mouthing off to the judges, gets eliminated and then goes Tourettes when she leaves the waiting area. One of the better episodes that I have seen in awhile.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Re: Top Chef: All-Star Edition

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Was just about to make this thread. Richard Blais looks incredibly strong already. Couldn't believe Jen's ranting last night. I'm thinking she was on the rag. Jamie really screwed her over though too.

So far, so good. I liked Colicchio's reaction to Jen going off. He's easily one of the best reality show judges on TV.

Surprised at some of the "all-stars" that they brought back.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Squints » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:11 pm

LOL, on the rag plus a lack of sleep. I really think if she would of kept her mouth shut that they would of sent Tre home, they really hated his sauce.
Squints

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:52 am

Jen was going home regardless of her outburst, which Tom actually defended somewhat. Jen's dish, as Casey pointed out, tasted like wet bacon. She had the sauce, wet bacon that had zero texture, and flavorless eggs. As much as Jen wanted to believe her dish was "perfect", there was no contrast in texture and if nothing else, the bacon needed to have some sort of crispiness to it. Tre's sauce reduced too much and was too salty but I'm sure there was enough flavor to it that it made the judges acknowledge the effort. In years past it seems the judges will allow for a little too much salt as long as they can taste the other flavors and depth behind it. The one exception was a woman early on last season who WAY oversalted the beef she was working with.

Love that Bourdain is back. His commentary is worth the price of admission alone. Watching the previews of next weeks episode and hearing, "It tasted like a head shop" made my evening.

Don't know who the favorite is so far. Blais is heading out to an early lead but Angelo is right there with him. Marcel believes he's the strongest chef but he'll sabotage himself somehow. Casey is another one who could go head to head w/ any chef in the room.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:02 pm

Glad to see Steven and gay Dale go home this week. Fabio's got too much personality to go home this early. Nice to see Asian Dale pick up a win. I liked him during his season and it seems like he's toned down his arrogance a little bit this time around.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:20 pm

Bumping this as the losers are starting to get axed. Shame for Casey last night that she left her dish in a fairly incompetent chef's hands, while Jamie somehow survives another week. I swear up and down that Jamie is only there to give them an easy elimination during a tough week.

Blaise hasn't won much lately. Dale and Isabella toned down their arrogance a little bit this season. I assume it'll come down to those three plus Angelo at the end.

Can't wait til Marcel is gone. Douche.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Squints » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:07 pm

Just watched it on DVR. That looked embarrassing for the chefs. I am back and forth on Angelo- he's top 3 in talent, but his sabatoging of other chefs (didn't they watch last season) makes me think he lacks the self-confidence to win. Agreed on Jamie, she's the Amanda of this season. Casey gone, now both the attractive (I'll stop before hot) chicks are gone. Isabella definitely didn't shy away from the pasta bowl between his seasons.

Final 4- Angelo, Isabella, Richard, Dale
Squints

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:55 am

Top Chef needs to understand the value of keeping your hottest chick on longer. They continually do this. When it is close, keep the hot chick. Geezus, it isnt that hard.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:56 am

Ziner wrote:Top Chef needs to understand the value of keeping your hottest chick on longer. They continually do this. When it is close, keep the hot chick. Geezus, it isnt that hard.

Can't have anyone as competition for Padma.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:37 pm

The whole service was a cluster fuck and it sucks for Casey that she was sent home over Jamie, who skatess yet again. I think the judgess saw lots of chicken feet left on the tables despite people being hungry that left an impression as well.

Don't know hw Antonia didn't get grilled for her preparation of Casey's dish. I figured they'd show the judges at least ask her how she did it.

Dale has toned down his act this season and is now cooking excellent. Kinda curious to see the dispute between him and Marcel next week.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:57 pm

In the future, more cooking and less fishing, please. Dale - sorry you feel that you never lived up to your father's expectations - I'm sure catching a big fish will help. All's well though as my two least favorites are now gone. Bad feelings from the Gay and Lesbian Association of Professional Cooks*, but otherwise good riddance to Tiffani and Jaime.

*not that there is anything wrong with that
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:13 pm

Pretty easy elimination yesterday. They keep Fabio around for the charisma needed during Restaurant Wars and then probably find an excuse to get rid of him over the next couple weeks.

Meanwhile, while I don't like Carla, Marcel is a gigantic cocksucker and I would love for Tre and his absurd arm muscles to suffocate the life out of him.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:32 am

Marcel leaves finally. Douche.

Fabio got jobbed. Richard made two good dishes, but front of the house is very tough and usually a kiss of death in restaurant wars. That should have been Fabio's win.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Squints » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:50 am

Agreed. Fabio had his moment in the sun. The wars was the main reason he was invited back for all-stars. Now he's expendable on the first mediocre dish he makes from now on. If brother Blaise doesn't work himself into an ulcer by the final he'll shoot himself in the foot with his over-analyzing worrisome thought process. I know they don't see what we see, but that was a rout last night and Blaise sounded and looked like Nick Saban who thinks the opposition could still win when down by 40 with 5 minutes left.
Squints

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:10 am

Haven't found time to comment on last weeks episode.

The QF challenge was very interesting. Bourdain's guy is amazing at butchering. He dedicated an entire chapter to this guy in one of his books. Says it takes 3 guys an entire shift to do what he does in 4 hours.

Restaurant Wars was one of the best. Tiffany was a mess up front. Too busy trying to be buddy buddy w/ every table and not paying attention to the wiatstaff or what was happening BOH. Fabio, as stated, owns this part of the challenge and his dessert was one of the judges favorites as well. If everyone at Judges Table hadn't spoken about how much Blais assisted in everyone else's dish, Fabio would have ran away with it. However Blais' fingerprint was all over the food, in a good way.

Someone tell Marcel that each week when the judges bitch about another "foam", stop doing foams. The kid, while very talented, believes that the dining experience is all about HIS innovation. He doesn't seem to cook for his guests rather it's more of "look at what I can do". While Team Bodega's team praise of Richard won him the challenge, Marcel did himself in at JT. His team was tiptoeing around what the real problem in the kitchen was, never specifying that it was leadership. Marcel dimed out Mike and it was on. I like that Mike snapped and laid it all out on the table. Tiffany benefitted from this as I believe she was on her way out based on her performance both FOH and her dish. That is until Marcel was exposed. Funniest part is in his exit interview, he still didn't believe that he did anything wrong, he just picked a bad team. I guess his "team" also contributed to his 2 poor dishes.

Nice to see Angelo called out at JT for not attempting to solve the issues BOH but rather ignore it and not get pulled into the pissing match.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:35 am

At least 4 people have been eliminated that are more talented than Tiffany.

Other Tiffany, Jen, Casey, Marcel

And for those of you that haven't watched all the season, Cliff manhandling Marcel in season 2 to shave his head was one of, if not the, greatest moments in the history of the show. Everyone got smashed and decided to fuck with Marcel, of course it ended in Cliff getting sent home for pinning Marcel to the floor, but it was awesome.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:45 am

^ enjoyed every moment of that show.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:49 am

agree with e0y, Tiffany is not that spectacular, all four of them are more talented

Oh and Larvell it was Ripert's fish guy.

This season is great, but it is becoming fairly obvious to me that it is Blais and everyone else. There are others that are above the run of the mill crowd, but Blais is the man on that set. I like the all-star format, I think it would be great in a few years to put together all the champs of each season.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:05 pm

Ziner wrote:
Oh and Larvell it was Ripert's fish guy.

Tom-a-to, Tom-ah-to

The way Bourdain praises him you'd think the guy was Anthony's Boy Friday
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:04 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:At least 4 people have been eliminated that are more talented than Tiffany.

Other Tiffany, Jen, Casey, Marcel

No doubt. And that's especially taking in to account that she couldn't cut up fish when she works in a seafood restaurant. Not to mention she's incredibly irritating.

I often wonder how much "quota" picks come in to play. Like keeping around the gay guy or the lesbian (it is Bravo after all), keeping around the black girl, getting rid of a white contestant in lieu of a black one, or vice versa. Trying to keep all the demographics in play. Obviously, they keep certain people around to stir the pot and make for the interesting TV, plus give the viewers somebody to hate. I wonder how much of it is really based on the cooking itself.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:17 pm

Supposedly Collicchio has laid his foot down many times when producers have pushed him one way or another to keep someone for ratings. Read something about that on AV club. That said there was some speculation that he may have finally given in to producers during the terrible DC season that made me quit the show (only came back because they did All-Stars).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:08 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Supposedly Collicchio has laid his foot down many times when producers have pushed him one way or another to keep someone for ratings. Read something about that on AV club.

This was in Bourdain's book as well - about how above board the process is and how TC feels his personal rep is on the line if he were to cave to the producers. Reportedly, some of the deliberations at judges table go on for hours.
mattvan1

Unread postby Cease » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:26 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Supposedly Collicchio has laid his foot down many times when producers have pushed him one way or another to keep someone for ratings. Read something about that on AV club.

This was in Bourdain's book as well - about how above board the process is and how TC feels his personal rep is on the line if he were to cave to the producers. Reportedly, some of the deliberations at judges table go on for hours.

1. Producers are idiots.
2. Caught :30 of All-Stars, the thirty seconds of Marcel being a dick to the dude on the rooftop. Turned me off immediately.
3. Since opening my Pizza shop, the only cooking show I can stomach is Bourdain. Used to watch them all, all the time, now when I'm home I can't bring myself to watch people cook.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:46 pm

Cease wrote:3. Since opening my Pizza shop, the only cooking show I can stomach is Bourdain. Used to watch them all, all the time, now when I'm home I can't bring myself to watch people cook.

You opened a pizza shop? Which one? Am I the only one not to know? Were you always in the food industry or just open it because you liked doing it.

I must admit sometimes I saw screw it with the corporate bs career and wonder if I would be much happier doing that. Pizza in Colorado sucks, open up a place between a bar and dispensary and it is an instant gold mine.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:07 pm

Cease wrote:3. Since opening my Pizza shop, the only cooking show I can stomach is Bourdain. Used to watch them all, all the time, now when I'm home I can't bring myself to watch people cook.

You do know that CDT knows more about pizza than you do, much more in fact.

Have you PM'd him to become a consultant?
:nanner:

Ziner, he opened up shop a few months ago, mentioned it in a thread. You probably didn't pay attention because the menu doesn't have tots on it.

2. Caught :30 of All-Stars, the thirty seconds of Marcel being a dick to the dude on the rooftop. Turned me off immediately.

Marcel did the same kind of stuff in his season, with his faux gangsta stylings. Maybe instead of Cliff trying to shave his head, they should have just beat the idiot out of him.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Cease » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:19 pm

Ziner wrote:

You opened a pizza shop? Which one? Am I the only one not to know? Were you always in the food industry or just open it because you liked doing it.

I must admit sometimes I saw screw it with the corporate bs career and wonder if I would be much happier doing that. Pizza in Colorado sucks, open up a place between a bar and dispensary and it is an instant gold mine.

Guys Pizza Co. in Medina. While living in Euclid like 10 years ago, we always ordered Guys, it was a no-brainer. I liked the product, a lot. I mumbled aloud then that "that's an good business and something I could do." Many years later, I got to know the "Guys" guys and I fell into the opportunity to leave ad sales and open my own store. So I did it.

I now use my whole brain- work with my hands, on my feet, hustling, manage 10 peeps, marketing, financing, service, inventory, every single little f'ing thing is on me and exactly how I want it. No excuses, no one to blame but me. Might not get rich, but it's quite fun and I'm glad I did it.

Would be happy to share more.
Cease

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:26 pm

Cease wrote:
Ziner wrote:

Guys Pizza Co. in Medina. While living in Euclid like 10 years ago, we always ordered Guys, it was a no-brainer. I liked the product, a lot. I mumbled aloud then that "that's an good business and something I could do." Many years later, I got to know the "Guys" guys and I fell into the opportunity to leave ad sales and open my own store. So I did it.

I now use my whole brain- work with my hands, on my feet, hustling, manage 10 peeps, marketing, financing, service, inventory, every single little f'ing thing is on me and exactly how I want it. No excuses, no one to blame but me. Might not get rich, but it's quite fun and I'm glad I did it.

Would be happy to share more.

Nice, glad you like it and good luck. If I get back to Cleveland I will stop in.

I checked out the menu and if you are looking to boost sales I would definitely throw some Tots on the menu. ;-) ;) :wink:

I dont think I am quite ready to say screw it to my career at this point, I should at least finish and pay for my MBA before I undertake something like this, but I would not be surprised if I found myself liking it much much more. Might be hitting you up in a few years.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Cease » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:27 pm

Squeeze an MBA out of the corporate gig, if at all possible. Helps to know that running a business ain't rocket science, and having the MBA somehow makes my decisions more justified (if only in my own head).

I'm warming to the tots idea. I bet it would be a hit. Will check with my food supplier and get some samples. Thanks for the support.
Cease

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:54 pm

If you do this, we may never go to another pizza place in Medina ever again

http://baconchefs.com/index.php?option=com_garyscookbook&Itemid=18&func=detail&id=37
Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots

Larvell Blanks

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Well, I guess charm and a nice accent can only get you so far if you can't really cook that well. Sad to see Fabio go - guy was funny as hell and had a great attitude. Maybe they'll bring him back if they were ever to produce "Top Chef - Fan Favorites"
mattvan1

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:12 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Well, I guess charm and a nice accent can only get you so far if you can't really cook that well. Sad to see Fabio go - guy was funny as hell and had a great attitude. Maybe they'll bring him back if they were ever to produce "Top Chef - Fan Favorites"

The guy can cook, it's just one style of cooking. Once he was given something outside of his comfort zone, he more or less, gave up. He wasn't comfortable cooking Asian, he doesn't cook burgers, etc, etc. Maybe have a Top Chef-Italian Masters and Fabio is top 2. Same w/ Jamie and Top Chef-Scallops
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:38 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:Well, I guess charm and a nice accent can only get you so far if you can't really cook that well. Sad to see Fabio go - guy was funny as hell and had a great attitude. Maybe they'll bring him back if they were ever to produce "Top Chef - Fan Favorites"

The guy can cook, it's just one style of cooking.

Correct. Much better stated than what I wrote. The show won't be as much fun for me now. Who do you root for at this point? Certainly not Angelo. Dale? Blaze? Antonia and her assets?
mattvan1

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:40 pm

What I learned on the latest ep: the two people who watched that Fallon episode knew who the final eight were before the All-Stars season aired.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:09 am

I've been rooting for Dale. I was a Dale fan back on his season, though he was a bit arrogant. Blais is starting to wear on me. I hate Carla. Not a big fan of Mike Isabella. Tiffany will probably be the next one to go.

Sad to see Fabio go, but for christ sake, who can't make a burger?
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:06 am

I like Blais but you're right, he's wearing on me a little bit this season. His second guessing and lack of confidence in what he's cooking is not endearing

Tiffany- the next to go. She's gotten lucky that others have under performed when she's been on the bottom. I think her luck runs out.

I think it's a toss up between the remaining 6.
-Carla is performing strong when it counts(like her season)
-Dale has his anger in check and is focusing on his cooking. If he can avoid small slip ups like these past 2 weeks, he's a finalist
-Angelo is consistent but he tends to over think his dishes and complicate them.If he just cooks the way he knows, he could be the winner
-Mike has been consistent and knows when he makes mistakes. Don't think he brings enough WOW to his dishes but if others make bigger mistakes he could find himself in finals like Hosea did.
-Richard just needs to cook with the same confidence and ego as he did in his season. He should easily be a finalist. His head is the only thing in his way.
-Antonia is on a roll. She's probably been the most consistent and best cheftestant this season. Should be a finalist unless she totally chokes in a challenge.

Fabio's boo-ger was a mess from the start. I don't think he had any fat in his meat mixture which would automatically make it dry. The "meatball" ingredients just pushed it to a meatloaf as well. It was just his pattern this year. When getting an unfamiliar task he went straight for the, "that's not the way I cook" card.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:17 am

Fabio is a joke of a contestant and sucks ass cobbler.

Look at Ilian, a guy who had a single style but managed to adapt and win the whole thing.

And let's not forget - Fabio has lost his fair share of Italian challenges.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Another chef better than Tiffany gone. But I am glad that Mike can't be homoerotic with Angelo anymore. That was just strange on last night's episode. Tiffany sticks around to be an easy elimination when a good chef has an off day.

Dale with a big resurgence last night, though he didn't technically make a cookie. I see no way that the final four isn't Richard, Dale, Antonia, and Carla.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Squints » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:09 am

Mike and Angelo were getting a little too bromantic with each other.

I recall reading Colcchio's blog on another episode where he said if they mention the word inedible, that chef can pack their knives. They mentioned inedible at the judge's table in regards to his dish. Mixed feelings, he was a good chef, predicted him in the final four, but a little tired of his weasel-like shtick. Trust your dish and your skills bro, so you don't have to always "help" the other contestants.

Loved the episode with the Italian feast and watching Mike "I'm an Italian from North Jersey" f-up the challenge, much less the pasta portion of an Italian challenge. And poor Fabio, became expendable as soon as Restaurant Wars were over, screwing up the easiest dish in the Fallon challenge.
Squints

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:16 am

Just when I started to root for the guy.........

Can't remember who said it after the quickfire, maybe Mike, that Angelo just got eliminated and so he was a partner to avoid. Good thinking, evidently.
mattvan1

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:31 pm

I was pretty irritated last night that Dale got sent home. Tiffany works in a fish restaurant. She has been on the bottom of every fish-related elimination challenge, but she's still there. It absolutely boggles my mind. Not to mention, she's insufferable and nobody gives a fuck about where she's from.

Guess I have to root for Antonia now, since Blais has worn out his welcome for me.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:47 pm

So the judges sucked out by sending everyone to the finale. Woulda been funny if they gave the hook to both Carla and Tiffany-- I'd be that willing to sacrifice Crazy Carla, who I've learned to like this season, to get rid of Tiffany.

Sick epi comin up with the face-off against the top chefs. How much is Mike I. willing to sell to the Devil to maloik Voltaggio?
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:20 pm

Pretty weak episode overall last night. Would have rather seen Tiffany go over Carla, but was glad that Antonia didn't go home.

Tiffany's an easy elimination next week. Then it's anybody's guess for the finale.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Squints » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:12 pm

Bad execution of a dish trumps bad concept of a dish almost every time. Carla was done once a piece of raw pork arrived on a judge's dish.

I believe this is Isabella's time. He's on a roll. Blais will end up being his own worst enemy and blow it. Antonia has an outside shot if the other two screw up and she nails her final dish. Tiffany is not even worth mentioning.
Squints

Unread postby Squints » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:05 am

At least the final three are the most consistent chefs throughout the season. However, the snorkeling for conch was one of the most visually un-stunning scenes in television history.
Squints

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:25 pm

Just got a chance to watch it last night. The right chef went home. Antonia's been too good throughout the season to be kicked just before the final. Tiffany should have gone home 6 episodes ago. I wonder what would have become of Dale had he been on the last two weeks.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Squints » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:05 pm

The two most consistent chefs are in the final. Concerned that Blais will self-destruct. This is Isabella's title to lose.
Squints

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:46 pm

Squints wrote:The two most consistent chefs are in the final. Concerned that Blais will self-destruct. This is Isabella's title to lose.

Agreed, although would have loved to see Jen and Dale (either one) still around. As far as Richard and Mike, my bet is Blaise pulls through. Just a feeling.
mattvan1

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:50 am

mattvan1 wrote:
Squints wrote:The two most consistent chefs are in the final. Concerned that Blais will self-destruct. This is Isabella's title to lose.

Agreed, although would have loved to see Jen and Dale (either one) still around. As far as Richard and Mike, my bet is Blaise pulls through. Just a feeling.

I don't know what to think. Blais has been on suicide watch up to last weeks win in the Elimination Challenge. Maybe that got his confidence back.

Mike has been pretty consistent this season and has really impressed the judges, especially when he cooks to his strengths. I think this one is a toss up.
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:20 am

A good but not great finale. Liked the "restaurant of your dreams" concept and thought the blind quickfire judging put a new spin on the sous-chef selection. Not sure either one created a tasting menu but everything looked really good - except for Mike's starter and the first pass of Richard's foie gras ice cream.

Overall, a pretty good season - started out slow but picked up at the end and the last two standing are certainly talented as hell.
mattvan1

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:31 am

Very glad Blais won. He was the best chef in his season so it was good to see him make amends. That and Isabella's a douche.

Debating if I want to watch Top Chef Masters or not.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Next

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture