Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Reborn as a hockey fan

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Reborn as a hockey fan

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:13 am

Started with the Olympics last year. Carried into last season's NHL Playoffs. And has intensified this season. I'm back as a hockey fan.

Grew up a hockey fan as a kid. Spent a month or two each year in Washington DC and fell in love with Dale Hunter, Petr Bondra, Mike Ridley, Kevin Hatcher and the red, white and blue of the Washington Capitals. Have fond memories of their playoff battles int he 80's with the Isles and their seemingly annual playoff series with the Pens in the 90's.

Earlier part of this decade, hockey goes into a lockout. LeBron comes to town. I have kids ... which sucks away some sports time. I follow the sport a little less each season culminating in the lockout, at which point I stop following it.

Forgot what I was missing. I love this sport.

Between Blue Jackets games on FSN, Versus, and the NHL Network ... I'm watching at least parts of games 3-4 nights a week. DVR'ing NHL on the Fly every night on NHL Network. Even started listening to the XM NHL Network Channel. Spend a lot of time reading Jackets blogs, NHL.com, and the Yahoo and Fanhouse NHL pages. Subscribed to The Hockey News publication. I've thrown myself head first back into the sport. And can't wait for the playoffs. I got in a fantasy hockey league. And my son and I are taking a roadie to Columbus for a Jackets game on Feb 11 vs the Avalanche, and are planning a March trip to either Pittsburgh or Detroit to take in a Pens or Wings game.

Follow the Jackets the closest ... but am really looking for a second team to embrace. Still have some love for the Caps. Like Ryan Miller, Thomas Vanek and the Sabres. Atlanta's Dustin Byfuglien is my favorite player in the league. Have a few Canadiens on my fantasy hockey team (Carey Price, Cammalieri, Gomez, and Hamrlik) ... and I like that team also. Incapable of cheering for a LA team, but love watching Jack Johnson and Drew Doughty play together. Also out west, the Ducks Corey Perry is another key on my fantasy team, and I like the mix of young and old players they have. Was just out in Arizona visiting family and followed the Coyotes pretty closely for a week. Love some of the young players on the Islanders and the Leafs. And the Canucks ... just a super talented team of seemingly really good guys, led by the Sedin brothers and Ryan Kesler.

Also loved the 24/7 series HBO ran leading into the Winter Classic. You watch that, see how these assholes in the NBA act, makes me feel guilty investing so much time in the NBA these last 7-8 years while ignoning the NHL.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Reborn as a hockey fan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:06 pm

Solid post. One beauty of not having a team here is that I can pull for certain players, certain teams, and just love the game as a whole. That's the stance I've adopted now. I follow some teams closer than others, but at the end of the day, I'm just a fan of the game. Even Monsters games, I go and analyze and break down the game without actually getting too emotionally invested.

I really follow the US-born players, especially guys I hadn't seen a lot of prior to the Olympics. The Joe Pavelski, Ryan Callahan types. Guys who really, really impressed me. Guys I was proud of.

Yeah, Rich, the 24/7 special was awesome. Because I knew the impact it was going to have. From high school to beer leagues to the pros, that's what the locker rooms are like, that's what the in-game chatter is like. But at the end of the day, hockey players are some of the most generous, charitable athletes out there. I think it's such a fraternity because it takes a specialized athletic ability to play. Not everyone can skate. Everyone can throw a ball, swing a bat, shoot a free throw. But hockey is such a different kind of skill set. It separates hockey players from other athletes.

People got to see that now. It means a lot for the game.

Enjoy your trip to Nationwide. I've never been to the new arena in Pittsburgh, but Joe Louis Arena is history to the max. If you go to Detroit, go to Chris Chelios's restaurant, Cheli's Chili. Right near Comerica. Awesome food, very reasonable prices.

You ever think about getting Nick up on a pair of skates? Not sure if you know, but I ref a lot of little kids games and it's really awesome to watch. Makes me wish I had played before I was 14. Maybe Nick's trek to Nationwide to see a pro game will be a cool enough experience for him to try it out.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Spin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:39 am

I was raised on football, stock car racing, and the Indy 500. I Wasn't exposed to hockey until I was a teenager, so I missed the original Barons and Crusaders. I came in during the Lumberjacks regime, and it was a lot of fun.

The Monsters haven't captured me like the Jacks did. Don't know why. Maybe it was the IHL was more fun than the AHL is. Maybe it was the veterans (Callander, Michayluk) who were there year in and year out to watch. Maybe it was their connection to the Pens, who came here for pre-season and neutral site games every year. Maybe like all minor league sports now, it's one big fsetival for little kids now. I don't know.

Every year I look forward to the New Years classic. And the Stanley Cup. The olympics last year were incredible. I can't get into the regular season, the Blue Jackets have never captured me. I still like the Guins, but not the city they're from.

It's also my favorite sport to watch in person. I caught a lot of Wooster Oilers games last year, and have been the U of Akron hockey EMT/trainer this year. Being a non-sanctioned sport, the sports medicine department doesn't support it. But it's giving me some valuable experience as a nursing student. I look forward to every game, it's a blast. It may not be NHL quality players, but it is hard ass hockey, and you're right there behind the glass for a couple buck. Not blowing a hundred bucks for a seat in the third tier.

I think like drag racing, hockey is a sport you have to see in person, up close, to "get it" and be able to enjoy it on TV. Which hurts it's popularity in areas it is not widely played.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:04 pm

Anyone have any suggestions on any good hockey blogs?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:26 pm

swerb wrote:Anyone have any suggestions on any good hockey blogs?

I take a lot of things from Puck Daddy, Yahoo's sports blog. They link a lot of blog excerpts, stuff like Down Goes Brown, and some others. If you're interested in fantasy advice/analysis and betting advice, DailyFacoff.com is a pretty good site. HockeysFuture.com is an awesome site, terrific hockey message board, but a lot of their writing is about prospects and draft coverage, not so much the current NHL.

Hard to find a good blog about hockey because most are centralized on just one team. I don't know of any good Jackets ones.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:41 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
swerb wrote:Anyone have any suggestions on any good hockey blogs?

I take a lot of things from Puck Daddy, Yahoo's sports blog. They link a lot of blog excerpts, stuff like Down Goes Brown, and some others. If you're interested in fantasy advice/analysis and betting advice, DailyFacoff.com is a pretty good site. HockeysFuture.com is an awesome site, terrific hockey message board, but a lot of their writing is about prospects and draft coverage, not so much the current NHL.

Hard to find a good blog about hockey because most are centralized on just one team. I don't know of any good Jackets ones.

Puck Daddy is very good. Thanks for the heads up on DailyFaceoff.

Best Jackets Blogs IMO are www.lightthelamp.com and www.jacketscannon.com.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:18 pm

swerb wrote:Best Jackets Blogs IMO are http://www.lightthelamp.com and http://www.jacketscannon.com.

You'll get the best Jackets coverage, including post-game stuff on on Puck Rakers. http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:39 am

I love Hockey.

I love the Blue Jackets.

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Trying to get into hockey/Jackets more.

Overall I think hockey as a sport is unique and exciting. I enjoy watching games when I get the chance, but it's still hard for me to really get into it because no one I know really follows/cares about it.

That's the problem with hockey. If the NHL was able to air more games on national TV and become more relevant I think it would gain a lot more fans. I'm sure thats easier said than done as I'm not really sure of the broadcasting rights with the NHL.

If the NBA does lockout next year, do you think the NHL will be able to get more games on national TV or no?

BTW, do people in Columbus actually like the Blue Jackets name and logo? I don't mind the name as much anymore, but their current logo is dumb.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:01 pm

One thing stymieing growth of hockey in the US is the interest/ability of kids to play the sport. Its both expensive to play (equipment, leagues, training) as well as to maintain (rink costs both for ice and building costs for an arena). My nephews are 7 and 8 and have played since they were 3 only because my bro/sister in law do well enough for themselves to afford it. Its very expensive, and if your kids gonna play, might as well spend the full monty.

Personally, I was always a fan of the Penguins because NBC/ESPN showed them more than any other team, but when the Jackets rose up in Columbus, they became my team. Still cheer for the Pens, but definitely not when they play the CBJ. Gotta stick with the home team even though they're tough to watch.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:54 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:One thing stymieing growth of hockey in the US is the interest/ability of kids to play the sport. Its both expensive to play (equipment, leagues, training) as well as to maintain (rink costs both for ice and building costs for an arena). My nephews are 7 and 8 and have played since they were 3 only because my bro/sister in law do well enough for themselves to afford it. Its very expensive, and if your kids gonna play, might as well spend the full monty.

Actually, the growth of the sport has been incredible over the last 15 years. The economic downturn hurt it a little bit, but the US has gotten a lot of players signed up. It is very expensive, depending on what level you play at. If you've got a 10 year old playing for a AAA travel team, then hell yeah it's expensive. But, if you've got a kid playing for his municipality's team, it's not so bad. Hand-me-down equipment is always easy to find.

The US National Team Development Program in Ann Arbor is churning out more players than ever, and more guys are going to US College route instead of juniors. Plus, the rebirth of the national teams with younger faces instead of the Mike Modanos and Bill Guerins of the world is helping.

The problem lies in parent involvement IMO. Not so much the cost, but the time commitments to hockey are rough. Practices are at odd times, some games are at 8 am on Saturdays or 5:30 pm on weekdays. It's very tough. It's not like playing football or basketball at a grade school where you can leave the kid there at some after school program. Too many parents in this day and age don't want to be burdened with taking their children places.

It can get expensive depending on how good your kid is and that's where you have to draw the line. A lot of guys I play hockey with stopped playing juniors at 19 or 20 because their families couldn't bear the financial costs. But with the ages you're talking about, playing for your rink's team in Cleveland Suburban or as part of a USA Hockey league isn't all that bad.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Spin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:56 pm

A nice shot from the Zips game against the Pitt Panthers.

Not big time college hockey but it's a great time. And this particular video is good clean fun, especially the skid mark the Pitt players ass left on the ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxgJnAFx6G8&feature=player_embedded
Spin

Unread postby bac5665 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:39 pm

In Columbus here, at least in my circle of friends, the CBJ are pretty popular. Also, a good friend of mine is the guy who fires the t-shirt cannon for them, so we follow the team a lot closer than we otherwise might.

And particularly this year, when watching the Cavs is an act of self-abuse, its great to have an alternative to draw my attention in the evenings. I do wonder if the Jackets are getting a bump in viewer-ship/ticket sales do to LBJ leaving.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:55 pm

The news comes out that they're only drawing about 10,000 viewers per game on FSNOHIO. Most of the games seem to be pretty full, better than I think they expected so far. The Oilers game was sold out.

Still over .500 and only 8pts from the #3 seed. Still alot of hockey left.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:The news comes out that they're only drawing about 10,000 viewers per game on FSNOHIO. Most of the games seem to be pretty full, better than I think they expected so far. The Oilers game was sold out.

Gonna be there Friday night for the Jackets/Avalanche game. Can't wait. Last night's game was great. Mason was outstanding. Umberger has been unconcious, and Huselius even woke up. Nash is Nash. So talented.

Good offensive hockey team right now. Mason can continue to play like he did last night ... this is gonna get interesting ... with the disclaimer that the Jackets always let me down every time they get me this excited.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:04 pm

And FTR, re: attendance ... I got $80 face value seats (like 12th row on one of the corners) for $50 a pop on one of the ticket broker sites. Was $60 apiece with the service charge and delivery.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:12 pm

The friday night game should be pretty full. If it's your first time down for a game I suggest eating first....... the prices are friggin insane. Probably worse than or on par with NFL prices.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:01 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:The friday night game should be pretty full. If it's your first time down for a game I suggest eating first....... the prices are friggin insane. Probably worse than or on par with NFL prices.

We're gonna eat and drink somewhere in the arena district there before the game. Bierch brewery or the Frog, Bear, & Wild Boar.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:20 pm

Been a Jackets Fan ever since I first started attending OSU about 7 yrs ago , continued to support them after I moved around the country allot for the Military and now that I am settled back in Columbus I might soon be a season ticket holder ( I will also be at that Avalanche game Friday)

I am first and foremost a Clevelander and grew up rooting for the Lumberjacks. Wish Cleveland would support the CBJ more. I think it would be great if the Cleveland AHL team could be the CBJ Affiliate, or if the CBJ could play a game or two up at the Q each year (Maybe bring the Cavs down to CBUS occasionally, a FSN exchange program if you will....)
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Govbarney wrote:Been a Jackets Fan ever since I first started attending OSU about 7 yrs ago , continued to support them after I moved around the country allot for the Military and now that I am settled back in Columbus I might soon be a season ticket holder ( I will also be at that Avalanche game Friday)

I am first and foremost a Clevelander and grew up rooting for the Lumberjacks. Wish Cleveland would support the CBJ more. I think it would be great if the Cleveland AHL team could be the CBJ Affiliate, or if the CBJ could play a game or two up at the Q each year (Maybe bring the Cavs down to CBUS occasionally, a FSN exchange program if you will....)

I couldn't agree more. They have no marketing presence here in CLE, and only about half their games are shown locally here on FSN OH.

Gov, if you're gonna be down in the arena district before the game starts Fri ... PM me. I'd love to buy you a beer and put the face with the name.

Jackets in a battle tonight against a red hot San Jose team. This would be a huge win.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Spin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:57 pm

Govbarney wrote:Been a Jackets Fan ever since I first started attending OSU about 7 yrs ago , continued to support them after I moved around the country allot for the Military and now that I am settled back in Columbus I might soon be a season ticket holder ( I will also be at that Avalanche game Friday)

The NHL use to do this every year, and the Pengions and Red Wings would play a game at the Coliseum. "Neutral Site Games". VERY well attended too, but they didn't sell well in other non-NHL markets so it was axed. The Oilers would play a preseason game here before that, during the Gretzky era. That sold well too.

I always wondered why they never did it again. It's not because Clevelanders weren't buying tickets.
Spin

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:22 pm

I know the city of Cleveland would really get behind Hockey if it was marketed well. My grandfather would always tell me stories of how crazy AHL Barons games used to be, and how well the Crusaders used to draw.

I always thought it would be great if Cleveland got a OHL team , and played it in a smaller venue then the Q. You could really have some great cross lake rivalries with the Windsor, Erie PA, and London, ON Teams.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:30 pm

That loss hurt. Looked like we were gonna pull at least a point out of that. Dammit.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:34 pm

swerb wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:The friday night game should be pretty full. If it's your first time down for a game I suggest eating first....... the prices are friggin insane. Probably worse than or on par with NFL prices.

We're gonna eat and drink somewhere in the arena district there before the game. Bierch brewery or the Frog, Bear, & Wild Boar.

I'd go with Gordon Biersch. I love the Czech Pils and Export. Frogbear is ok, the crowd can be kinda douchey imo.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:02 pm

swerb wrote:

Go get a burger and onion rings at Ted's across the street. You won't be disappointed. Drink somewhere else, but eat at Ted's.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Spin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:The news comes out that they're only drawing about 10,000 viewers per game on FSNOHIO. Most of the games seem to be pretty full, better than I think they expected so far. The Oilers game was sold out.

The Blue Jacks are only getting 13,337 per game, good for 28th in the league.

Come on C-bus, we were pulling bigger numbers than that for indoor soccer, when the arena was 20 miles from nowhere. WITH an NBA franchise in the same building. When are they going to show us that's a "major league" town?
Spin

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:48 am

Spin wrote:

The Blue Jacks are only getting 13,337 per game, good for 28th in the league.

Come on C-bus, we were pulling bigger numbers than that for indoor soccer, when the arena was 20 miles from nowhere. WITH an NBA franchise in the same building. When are they going to show us that's a "major league" town?

Kiss my ass.

In the tenth year of a franchise that made the playoffs one time... Of course it's going to fall off. Probably survived 5 years longer than they would've in Cleveland.... especially given how god awful and inept this team was.

And what does one team playing in the same building as another have to with anything? Were they playing on the same night in different parts?

How are those Injuns going to do at the gate and on TV next year? The Cavs?

Columbus isn't a "Major League" town/city/province or whatever. It's a college football town, it always will be.

Indoor Soccer... from what, 20 years ago?

Hey how are the Cleveland City Stars doing?

Go get your fucking shine box.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:50 am

Just like with any losing team attendance has suffered , but for the first 7 years or so , even with a crap product on the ice this town really showed up each night, and when its at capacity Nationwide can get loud, I am talking Philadelphia or Detroit loud.
I went to game 4 of the '09 Playoffs (1st and last time they made the Playoffs) by then Detroit was already up 3-0 and the writing was one the wall. But you couldn't tell that by being at the game. I judge CBJ interest by how many fans at the game I see wearing OSU gear and not CBJ gear, that night I could count the number of people wearing Scarlet & Grey on one hand.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby idoctribefan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:17 pm

I know that this thread has become mostly about the Jackets, but going back to about being a hockey fan...

Did anybody see the game Wednesday on Versus between the Bruins and Canadiens? 14 goals, 142 Penalty minutes, 12 fighting majors (although there was a brawl in the 2nd period where all 12 men on the ice were going at it and only 2 fighting majors were handed out).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2010020808

I've really gotten back into hockey this season. I try to catch as many games on Versus/NHL Network as possible, and I try to see every Jackets game that isn't blacked out by the Cavs. I finally got an HDTV last summer so this is my first season with hockey in HD and that makes the game much more fun to watch also. I've never been able to attend an NHL game, but I saw the Monsters once last year. Trying desperately to get to a few games this year but I've been unable to so far with my schedule.

I lived in Florida when the Panthers were an expansion team so I chose them as the team that I followed closely, but now that LeBitch has tainted all-things-Miami for me I've switched my allegiance over to the Blue Jackets.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:21 pm

Govbarney wrote:Just like with any losing team attendance has suffered , but for the first 7 years or so , even with a crap product on the ice this town really showed up each night, and when its at capacity Nationwide can get loud, I am talking Philadelphia or Detroit loud.
I went to game 4 of the '09 Playoffs (1st and last time they made the Playoffs) by then Detroit was already up 3-0 and the writing was one the wall. But you couldn't tell that by being at the game. I judge CBJ interest by how many fans at the game I see wearing OSU gear and not CBJ gear, that night I could count the number of people wearing Scarlet & Grey on one hand.

Yep. I was at that playoff game too. Still remember the venom spewed after that bullshit too many men in the ice penalty that allowed Franzen to score the go ahead goal. Nationwide is as loud and wild as any arena gets.

And i'd bet we're the only frachise that yells our anthem singer's name in unison.

LEO!

Go Jackets, beat the Avs.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Spin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:In the tenth year of a franchise that made the playoffs one time... Of course it's going to fall off. Probably survived 5 years longer than they would've in Cleveland.... especially given how god awful and inept this team was.

Like the Tribe?

And what does one team playing in the same building as another have to with anything? Were they playing on the same night in different parts?

That's the bullshit excuse we get for not being able to get an NHL team in Cleveland. Because we already have the Cadavers.

Indoor Soccer... from what, 20 years ago?

Yeah, a gimmick sport the purists hated, before the rise in popularity, outdrawing your goddamn championship winning top level team.

Hey how are the Cleveland City Stars doing?

About as good as the other USL teams are doing that didn't abandon ship and start their own league. The second successful Cleveland team the league fucked up. Shit in a real stadium and a real marketing budget they could have outdrawn the freakin Crew too. 14k for a championship team? Bottom half of the league?

We had an arena football league that outdraw the Crew and Jacks, before the Columbus team owner buried that league. C-bus has made that contribution to sports.

Columbus isn't a "Major League" town/city/province or whatever. It's a college football town, it always will be.

Then what are you arguing about? Jeezez Chrimony...

Go Buckeyes
Spin

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:20 pm

nm.
Last edited by Cerebral_DownTime on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Had an absolute blast last night. Outstanding atmosphere, great game. All I could think about on the way back this morning was how, when, and where I am going to get to another NHL game in person.

Seeing this game live ... my god. Was lucky enough to get some pretty damn good seats, down on one of the corners, like 7th row ... and the skill, speed, violence, and beauty of the game is staggering from that vantage point.

Helping matters last night: Peter Forsberg's first game back (nice surprise as we walked in), the game was VERY physical, there were 3-4 good fights, and the Jackets won a hard fought exciting game after falling behind 1-0, then dominating the last half of the game.

Beautiful arena Nationwide. Great feel in there. It was pretty damn full. Crowd was great. Even the upper deck seats there look like they'd be great seats.

Can't wait to get back, hopefully for a first round playoff game.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:08 pm

Glad to hear you had a good time. And yeah the upper bowl is a cheap and good place to sit, the view is fine even at the very top.

Did the Pepsi Girls try to get you register for a contest or buy something?

Colorado is some cheap shot mother fuckers.

Boll is tough, not the best fighter, but he'll fight just about anyone.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:29 pm

Love the upper bowl. Sit at the red line and watch everything develop.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. It's definitely a good atmosphere for weekend games down there.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Boll is tough, not the best fighter, but he'll fight just about anyone.

Boll is a bad ass.

Will say, outside of Boll and Dorsett, this team lacks general toughness. And they play so much better when they do play physical. Or after Boll and Dorsett realize the team is having one of their soft starts (like th Avs game Friday), and just takes it upon themselves to go after someone to try and wake the team up.

While a elite center to bump Brassard and Vermette back a line would be nice, no team in the league would be helped more by a big, bad defenseman to play 20-25 min a night hitting people and anchoring the power play.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:38 pm

swerb wrote:Will say, outside of Boll and Dorsett, this team lacks general toughness. And they play so much better when they do play physical. Or after Boll and Dorsett realize the team is having one of their soft starts (like th Avs game Friday), and just takes it upon themselves to go after someone to try and wake the team up.

This is accurate, especially when you look at the lack of physicality on D. They have nobody who other teams can fear when they are in the offensive zone and controlling the puck in the corners and behind the net. Can't score without the puck, and that's part of the reason for Columbus's lack of offense.

While a elite center to bump Brassard and Vermette back a line would be nice, no team in the league would be helped more by a big, bad defenseman to play 20-25 min a night hitting people and anchoring the power play.

The hope is that Ryan Johansen becomes that elite center. He's a big bodied kid who played a very physical game for Canada in the World Juniors. Also a swift, powerful skater. But, he's still at least a year or two away.

Tough sell to get any free agents to Columbus.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Another gritty road W for the Jackets. 8-3-2 last 13, yet they've gotten just 3 points on the 8th seed, and Minnesota has a game in hand.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:41 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Another gritty road W for the Jackets. 8-3-2 last 13, yet they've gotten just 3 points on the 8th seed, and Minnesota has a game in hand.

That was a great win. Team showed a lot of moxie coming right back from that early Stars goal. They've let those early goals snowball this season, and seeing them come right back and knot it was another positive development in a 3 week stretch that has had lots of em. Nash's goal was gorgeous. Jackets bias aside, there's few players in this league I'd rather watch play. He's so GD talented.

Great job by the Jackets killing some BS penalties as well. Mason keeps rollin ... that save he made to preserve the 2-1 lead with like 7 minutes left was amazing. He's a talented kid. When he plays "big" and takes away the high stuff, he looks like he has the potential to be of of the NHL's best goalies for a long time. Cat is just 22. If Mason can stay hot, the way the rest of this team is playing right now, they're gonna be right there till the end in the chase for a playoff spot.

Been a fun run.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:42 am

skatingtripods wrote:Tough sell to get any free agents to Columbus.

Yep. And the ones we do get always seem to suck (Carter, Modin, and Foote come to mind) and i'm on the verge of writing Vermette of totaly.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:26 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:Tough sell to get any free agents to Columbus.

Yep. And the ones we do get always seem to suck (Carter, Modin, and Foote come to mind) and i'm on the verge of writing Vermette of totaly.

Don't forget Commodore.

Vermette's a terrific #3 center. Wins a ton of faceoffs, is responsible in both zones, and can chip in offensively. Unfortunately, he's a #2 center on this team. I like him a lot, but he's totally out of his element for the Jackets.

The team's gelling and starting to play for each other. That's what happens when things go well. Usually Nash would skate away from Morrow after that high stick on Brassard. Today he cross checks him and the team kills off the penalty. Leading by example in crunch time is big for a young team. He earned a little respect from me today, and, as CDT knows, I'm not a Nash fan.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:16 pm

Article from the Dispatch about the Crew's Hudson Street hooligans starting a European Soccer Style Fan club for the CBJ called the "Arch Street Army".
I have gone to Crew Games before with some of these guys, some crazy shit goes on in that Nordecke Section, lot of fun. I think it would translate well to hockey, and start to liven up CBJ games mid week.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/02/12/fledgling-fan-group-trying-to-liven-up-nationwide.html?sid=101
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Spin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:34 pm

It certainly makes things interesting.

I've seen college goalies go ape shit when our fanatics showed up and camped behind his net, soccer style. They've never been in that siteeation before. :gah:
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:40 pm

Whatever happened to the two players from the Cleveland area, the name escapes me? One played for the Jackets, and one did some time with the Monsters.
Fritche?
Spin

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Spin wrote:Whatever happened to the two players from the Cleveland area, the name escapes me? One played for the Jackets, and one did some time with the Monsters.
Fritche?

Danny is playing overseas. Tom's been out all year, I believe with post-concussion issues.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:08 am

Went to the game last night , "sat" with the Arch City Army in section 227 (only really "sat" during intermissions) It was a blast, we sang and cheered the whole game , a lot of fans from other sections came up to thank the guy who started it , and there where a few local media cameras there filming us. Only thing that would have made the night better was if the CBJ came away with 2 pts instead of 1. Well that and if Brassard didn't have a slap shot go off his wrist, or we didn't squander 2 minutes of a 5 on 3.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Return to The Neutral Zone