Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:14 pm

Damn yo - Hiko just cut at the heart of your movie - after yall came after me expect violence now.

As for you Peeks, don't watch it now if the subtitles are going to fuck with you. Movie has been out for ages and isn't going anywhere. I also hate subtitles generally but City of God and The Live of Others are my two biggest must watch subtitled movies of the last decade.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:35 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Damn yo - Hiko just cut at the heart of your movie - after yall came after me expect violence now.

As for you Peeks, don't watch it now if the subtitles are going to fuck with you. Movie has been out for ages and isn't going anywhere. I also hate subtitles generally but City of God and The Live of Others are my two biggest must watch subtitled movies of the last decade.


Did you catch Oldboy or Ichi the Killer? I kind of dig those Korean and Japanese violent brain fuck flicks.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:39 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:As for you Peeks, don't watch it now if the subtitles are going to fuck with you. Movie has been out for ages and isn't going anywhere. I also hate subtitles generally but City of God and The Live of Others are my two biggest must watch subtitled movies of the last decade.


I know but I've watched a shitload of movies the last 5 weeks and I have it here with nothing else to watch that I want to see. Fuck- I don't want to be at the mercy of Green Zone or The Informant or some shit like that.

Anyone see the "Girl who Played with Fire"? It's dubbed which is better for me right now than subtitles so I could deal with that. Or give me some suggestions I can look up on Netflix and see if they have it streaming.

FYI- Restrepo is apparently being shown one time only on National Geographic Channel tonight sometime. Heard that from a buddy.

Catch it if you can.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22662
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby hiko » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:58 pm

Anyone see the "Girl who Played with Fire"? It's dubbed which is better for me right now than subtitles so I could deal with that. Or give me some suggestions I can look up on Netflix and see if they have it streaming.

I watched in streaming on Netflix, and it definitely wasn't dubbed. Where are you seeing it dubbed?

If it's any consolation, that movie doesn't have a ton of dialogue. You forget the movie is subtitled after a bit.

I just got done watching the first 2 seasons of Dexter on Netflix - that's fairly entertaining if you haven't watched it yet.
User avatar
hiko
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:13 am
Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:07 pm

hiko wrote:
Anyone see the "Girl who Played with Fire"? It's dubbed which is better for me right now than subtitles so I could deal with that. Or give me some suggestions I can look up on Netflix and see if they have it streaming.

I watched in streaming on Netflix, and it definitely wasn't dubbed. Where are you seeing it dubbed?

If it's any consolation, that movie doesn't have a ton of dialogue. You forget the movie is subtitled after a bit.

I just got done watching the first 2 seasons of Dexter on Netflix - that's fairly entertaining if you haven't watched it yet.


It's dubbed on the dvds I saw at Blockbuster. You can listen in Swedish or in English. Maybe that option doesn't exist on Netflix. I'm up to season 4 of Dexter but I don't think that's on Netflix yet and one of my a-hole friend already told me how season 4 ends and I'm not at all happy ;-) ;) :wink:

Ugh..I don't want to watch Matt Damon unless it's Rounders. And I've seen that 30 times.

Any good Ed Norton suggestions? Saw Pride & Glory and he was great again.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22662
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby hiko » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:08 pm

peeker643 wrote:
hiko wrote:
Anyone see the "Girl who Played with Fire"? It's dubbed which is better for me right now than subtitles so I could deal with that. Or give me some suggestions I can look up on Netflix and see if they have it streaming.

I watched in streaming on Netflix, and it definitely wasn't dubbed. Where are you seeing it dubbed?

If it's any consolation, that movie doesn't have a ton of dialogue. You forget the movie is subtitled after a bit.

I just got done watching the first 2 seasons of Dexter on Netflix - that's fairly entertaining if you haven't watched it yet.


It's dubbed on the dvds I saw at Blockbuster. You can listen in Swedish or in English. Maybe that option doesn't exist on Netflix. I'm up to season 4 of Dexter but I don't think that's on Netflix yet and one of my a-hole friend already told me how season 4 ends and I'm not at all happy ;-) ;) :wink:

Ugh..I don't want to watch Matt Damon unless it's Rounders. And I've seen that 30 times.

Any good Ed Norton suggestions? Saw Pride & Glory and he was great again.


American History X. But only if you like light comedies.
User avatar
hiko
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:13 am
Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:35 pm

hiko wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
hiko wrote:
Anyone see the "Girl who Played with Fire"? It's dubbed which is better for me right now than subtitles so I could deal with that. Or give me some suggestions I can look up on Netflix and see if they have it streaming.

I watched in streaming on Netflix, and it definitely wasn't dubbed. Where are you seeing it dubbed?

If it's any consolation, that movie doesn't have a ton of dialogue. You forget the movie is subtitled after a bit.

I just got done watching the first 2 seasons of Dexter on Netflix - that's fairly entertaining if you haven't watched it yet.


It's dubbed on the dvds I saw at Blockbuster. You can listen in Swedish or in English. Maybe that option doesn't exist on Netflix. I'm up to season 4 of Dexter but I don't think that's on Netflix yet and one of my a-hole friend already told me how season 4 ends and I'm not at all happy ;-) ;) :wink:

Ugh..I don't want to watch Matt Damon unless it's Rounders. And I've seen that 30 times.

Any good Ed Norton suggestions? Saw Pride & Glory and he was great again.


American History X. But only if you like light comedies.


Saw it.

The scene when they were standing around the curb was jaw breakingly funny.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22662
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby mitch » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Season 4 of Dexter is out on Netflix (just not streaming).

And don't blame me for spoiling the last episode... :hide:
User avatar
mitch
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:52 am
Location: Triad, NC
Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby hiko » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:42 pm

mitch wrote:Season 4 of Dexter is out on Netflix (just not streaming).

And don't blame me for spoiling the last episode... :hide:


Yes, it and Season 3 are in my queue.

And I hate anything that isn't streaming.

I am now off to watch The Girl Who Kicked the Bees Nest, or something like that. Because it's streaming and that's just the best thing ever.
User avatar
hiko
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:13 am
Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:59 pm

hiko wrote:
mitch wrote:Season 4 of Dexter is out on Netflix (just not streaming).

And don't blame me for spoiling the last episode... :hide:


Yes, it and Season 3 are in my queue.

And I hate anything that isn't streaming.

I am now off to watch The Girl Who Kicked the Bees Nest, or something like that. Because it's streaming and that's just the best thing ever.


If you want to stream, how fast does your internet connection have to be? I have netflix but don't have a box to stream yet. I don't want to get one and have the damn buffer thing going all the time.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:27 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
hiko wrote:
mitch wrote:Season 4 of Dexter is out on Netflix (just not streaming).

And don't blame me for spoiling the last episode... :hide:


Yes, it and Season 3 are in my queue.

And I hate anything that isn't streaming.

I am now off to watch The Girl Who Kicked the Bees Nest, or something like that. Because it's streaming and that's just the best thing ever.


If you want to stream, how fast does your internet connection have to be? I have netflix but don't have a box to stream yet. I don't want to get one and have the damn buffer thing going all the time.


Do you have a gaming system at all like Wii or PS3? Those stream Netflix. And it appears to quickly download to the Wii for me and then plays w/o interruption. Or maybe it's like youtube and downloads ahead of what plays, but I've never had an issue even on nights when the TW Internet is slow.

BTW, I effing hate Time Warner. I hope they die. Shitbags.

You're gonna need a Wii. xBox or PS3 sooner or later. If you buy anything buy one of those (PS3 is also blu-ray).

Then you can stream your balls off.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22662
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby hiko » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:15 pm

peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
hiko wrote:
mitch wrote:Season 4 of Dexter is out on Netflix (just not streaming).

And don't blame me for spoiling the last episode... :hide:


Yes, it and Season 3 are in my queue.

And I hate anything that isn't streaming.

I am now off to watch The Girl Who Kicked the Bees Nest, or something like that. Because it's streaming and that's just the best thing ever.


If you want to stream, how fast does your internet connection have to be? I have netflix but don't have a box to stream yet. I don't want to get one and have the damn buffer thing going all the time.


Do you have a gaming system at all like Wii or PS3? Those stream Netflix. And it appears to quickly download to the Wii for me and then plays w/o interruption. Or maybe it's like youtube and downloads ahead of what plays, but I've never had an issue even on nights when the TW Internet is slow.

BTW, I effing hate Time Warner. I hope they die. Shitbags.

You're gonna need a Wii. xBox or PS3 sooner or later. If you buy anything buy one of those (PS3 is also blu-ray).

Then you can stream your balls off.


I watch them on my PC. And since I don't have a TV in the house that could claim to have post 1999 technology, and my monitor is widescreen and high def, I watch more shit on there than other.

So now that I'm done with the Girl Who trilogy, I'm on to... Weeds, Season 1, I guess?

BTW, I hate TWC with a passion and have had DirecTV since The Return (hard to watch the Browns in CA otherwise). But I do use Road Runner for my internet, which is the only association with Time Warner that I would recommend.
User avatar
hiko
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:13 am
Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:17 pm

hiko wrote:I watch them on my PC. And since I don't have a TV in the house that could claim to have post 1999 technology, and my monitor is widescreen and high def, I watch more shit on there than other.

So now that I'm done with the Girl Who trilogy, I'm on to... Weeds, Season 1, I guess?

BTW, I hate TWC with a passion and have had DirecTV since The Return (hard to watch the Browns in CA otherwise). But I do use Road Runner for my internet, which is the only association with Time Warner that I would recommend.



Weeds is soo good. Especially first two or three seasons though I obediently watched them all.

Awesome TV.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22662
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:31 pm

peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
hiko wrote:
mitch wrote:Season 4 of Dexter is out on Netflix (just not streaming).

And don't blame me for spoiling the last episode... :hide:


Yes, it and Season 3 are in my queue.

And I hate anything that isn't streaming.

I am now off to watch The Girl Who Kicked the Bees Nest, or something like that. Because it's streaming and that's just the best thing ever.


If you want to stream, how fast does your internet connection have to be? I have netflix but don't have a box to stream yet. I don't want to get one and have the damn buffer thing going all the time.


Do you have a gaming system at all like Wii or PS3? Those stream Netflix. And it appears to quickly download to the Wii for me and then plays w/o interruption. Or maybe it's like youtube and downloads ahead of what plays, but I've never had an issue even on nights when the TW Internet is slow.

BTW, I effing hate Time Warner. I hope they die. Shitbags.

You're gonna need a Wii. xBox or PS3 sooner or later. If you buy anything buy one of those (PS3 is also blu-ray).

Then you can stream your balls off.


My High Speed Internet is through Century Link and runs at 256Kbps. This is very slow. Right before this post I got off the phone signing up for RoadRunner through Time Warner, so I'm glad to hear they come highly recommended. :thumb up: :pb:

Either way, the new internet will be 7Mbps. That should be fine for me. I didn't sign up for the power turbo boost or whatever because I didn't think it would make much difference for me.

I figured I'd break down and get one of those gaming systems so I could stream Netflix. I have a 2 year old kid. Is one of them better than the others?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:36 pm

motherscratcher wrote:My High Speed Internet is through Century Link and runs at 256Kbps. This is very slow. Right before this post I got off the phone signing up for RoadRunner through Time Warner, so I'm glad to hear they come highly recommended. :thumb up: :pb:

Either way, the new internet will be 7Mbps. That should be fine for me. I didn't sign up for the power turbo boost or whatever because I didn't think it would make much difference for me.

I figured I'd break down and get one of those gaming systems so I could stream Netflix. I have a 2 year old kid. Is one of them better than the others?


Wii is great for younger kids. Much more interactive though now the gap may be closing or closed with Kinect.

As they get older PSP or XBox for boys is a must for shooter games, etc. Wii is horrible for those games and games like Madden.

Others may have more to add given I'm not a gamer. And again, another blu ray device if you get PSP3 (and xbox too I believe).
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22662
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:43 am

Just get a PS3 with the move mother. I'm an xbox guy but considering your tech stupidity, the blu-ray and the move you might as well just bundle it all up into one package.

Oh and the streaming Netflix can eat my dick. Cancelled that shit after two years. I pay for the fastest residential internet speeds sold in the US (100mps down, 30 up) and I still can't get HD to stream right half the time (not to mention the horrid selection).
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:49 am

Oh and Mother my favorite subtitled Japanese movies are hands down Old Boy and Audition.

Can't rec them to anyone though because it takes a sick and twisted person to sit through both.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:50 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Oh and the streaming Netflix can eat my dick. Cancelled that shit after two years. I pay for the fastest residential internet speeds sold in the US (100mps down, 30 up) and I still can't get HD to stream right half the time (not to mention the horrid selection).


Mine works fantastic on regular internet through comcast. Yours probably just wants to piss you off. The selection is horrid though.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7059
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:00 pm

peeker643 wrote:Any good Ed Norton suggestions? Saw Pride & Glory and he was great again.


American History X (duh), 25th Hour, Down in the Valley (awesome), and the Illusionist. Id say 25th hour is my favorite of those.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
User avatar
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: Mentor
Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:41 pm

Zin: http://blog.netflix.com/2009/03/netflix ... stent.html

That is Netflix addressing the issues I have dealt with and about four moths before I left them. Allegedly that all has been fixed but I just payed for too long for too little.

Pay for Starz and you get better movies, pay for HBO and Showtime and you get better TV and if you are smart you can get them all for the same price as Netflix.

Netflix was so bad for so long with the streaming HD not working it made me want to break my XBox - which I love like I love my kids (just joking).
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:08 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Zin: http://blog.netflix.com/2009/03/netflix ... stent.html

That is Netflix addressing the issues I have dealt with and about four moths before I left them. Allegedly that all has been fixed but I just payed for too long for too little.

Pay for Starz and you get better movies, pay for HBO and Showtime and you get better TV and if you are smart you can get them all for the same price as Netflix.

Netflix was so bad for so long with the streaming HD not working it made me want to break my XBox - which I love like I love my kids (just joking).


I guess picture quality for me isn't as important. I stream through the Wii and I have no complaints at all other than selection. It's weird because Shutter Island is available via stream but 25th Hour isn't. Seems random and may be contractual issues but there are enough movies that interest me that I'm okay with it for now.

Lots of TV available and lots that isn't. Every season of The Office is there to watch, Arrested Development, etc. But none of Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.

All in all it's okay with me.

Did watch 'Defiance' last night via stream. Quality of stream was fine, the movie was horrific. Great subject matter and the movie just sucked.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22662
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:16 pm

The Wii's biggest issue is that it isn't HD Compatible. Xbox = HD w/out Blue-Ray. PS3 = X-Box Blue-Ray

Yeah man- pic quality ain't an issue to you.

As for TV streaming it has some random Showtime shows and everything from NBC plus some of CBS and FOX.

All contractual issues and all will be worked out. Just think the tech and contracts are two years away from perfection and I got tired of eating bumps in the road when I had all the same shit On Demand or On TV.

Plus like I said - my stream should be unreal and it isn't. That means I'll go HULU first and connect my Macbook to the TV.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby hiko » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:46 pm

I saw The Social Network tonight, and it was good. Not life-changing, not interesting enough for me to watch ever again, but well made and well acted.

But a story about how wealth and fame ruined a friendship (since that's about as close as you can come to a central theme)... not exactly groundbreaking subject matter.

So, of the 3 Oscar movies I've seen so far, I have to say that Toy Story 3 is the best. And that's the 3rd best Toy Story movie.

Hoping one of these others throws me a bone.
User avatar
hiko
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:13 am
Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:48 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Oh and Mother my favorite subtitled Japanese movies are hands down Old Boy and Audition.

Can't rec them to anyone though because it takes a sick and twisted person to sit through both.



Hah. I've seen both and enjoyed the fuck out of them. But I think Old Boy is Korean.

Audition is just so fucking creepy. Maybe the most intense horror flick i've seen. Torture, a batshit crazy Japanese chick, and a dude in a sack....... Yeah.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:58 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Any good Ed Norton suggestions? Saw Pride & Glory and he was great again.


American History X (duh), 25th Hour, Down in the Valley (awesome), and the Illusionist. Id say 25th hour is my favorite of those.


25th Hour is effin beautiful. Not somethin I would expect from a Spike Lee pic. Great little ode to post-9/11 NYC and one of my favorite final scenes to end a movie with that "bedtime story."
User avatar
metalhead9x9
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:51 pm
Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:59 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Oh and Mother my favorite subtitled Japanese movies are hands down Old Boy and Audition.

Can't rec them to anyone though because it takes a sick and twisted person to sit through both.



Hah. I've seen both and enjoyed the fuck out of them. But I think Old Boy is Korean.

Audition is just so fucking creepy. Maybe the most intense horror flick i've seen. Torture, a batshit crazy Japanese chick, and a dude in a sack....... Yeah.



Anybody watch A Prophet (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235166/), about the Arab kid in the french prison? I know it's foreign and I'm gonna have to deal with subtitles but if I have to look at them in parts of shit movie like Defiance then I may as well go with City of God tonight and A Prophet tomorrow.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22662
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:28 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Oh and Mother my favorite subtitled Japanese movies are hands down Old Boy and Audition.

Can't rec them to anyone though because it takes a sick and twisted person to sit through both.



Hah. I've seen both and enjoyed the fuck out of them. But I think Old Boy is Korean.

Audition is just so fucking creepy. Maybe the most intense horror flick i've seen. Torture, a batshit crazy Japanese chick, and a dude in a sack....... Yeah.



Yeah, Oldboy is Korean from Chanwook Park. It's the only one of his I've seen, but it is my favorite of the genre so far. I have Sympathy For Mr Vengeance and Lady Vengeance in my queue.

Audition and Ichi are both Takashi Miike who I believe is japanese. Both are fucked up, Audition probably moreso. Scratch that, definitely moreso. I liked Ichi better but that's probably because I saw it first and it turned me on to the genre. Visitor Q was OK, just kind of weird. I haven't seen Gozu or Waru yet.

There's another movie I saw a few years back about a bunch of kids dropped onto an island and made to kill each other but I'll be damned if I can remember the title offhand.

I haven't seen one of those movies for a while. I can only watch them occasionally. I found that if I lumped watching a few of them together over a short period of time it would fuck with my head. Seriously.

Dude in a sack. Jeezus.


Edit: I had to look it up because it was driving me nuts. Battle Royal. Worth a look.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:19 am

Been cyber stalk A prophet for over a year now.

Tell me how it is.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:51 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Been cyber stalk A prophet for over a year now.

Tell me how it is.


Will do.

City of God was ridiculous. I hate effing subtitles but that movie was worth it.

My fault for not learning more than my own language when I had a malleable mind. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22662
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:41 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Oh and Mother my favorite subtitled Japanese movies are hands down Old Boy and Audition.

Can't rec them to anyone though because it takes a sick and twisted person to sit through both.

You actually reccommended them to me, and I'm glad you did. Both were outstanding.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:17 am

Yeah I remember that, it was right after you and Tony hit up High Tension.

That said this scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbRp_WIQ ... re=related <-- NSFW, men, women and children is still and will always be the hardest scene in the history or film.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:22 am

“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:49 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Yeah I remember that, it was right after you and Tony hit up High Tension.

That said this scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbRp_WIQ ... re=related <-- NSFW, men, women and children is still and will always be the hardest scene in the history or film.


You may be right e0y. It's tough to argue that there is a harder scene anywhere.

But, for me, the hardest scene will always be this scene from Irreverisble by the certifiably effed up frenchie, Gasper Noe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLaFImyUBSo&feature=related <--Not safe for anywhere and most definitely NSFW. I don't recommend anyone watch it unless they are sure about grisly death on film. It's tough to watch and you can't unsee it.

Mods: Maybe this discussion of Audition, Oldboy, Irreversible and the like should be in a different thread or something. We're pretty far gone from 2010 Oscars.

So yeah, um, HEY! How about that Toy Story 3!?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:54 pm

I still don't think I've watched that entire scene from Audition without covering my eyes like a little girl.

I just hit stop on your clip before the final "strike"

Tough tough stuff.

Although I'll sit through both those clips without blinking before I listen to C-town Sports Talk Radio.

TOY STORY FTW!$!@#$@
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:11 pm

For fucks sake guys.....wow never been so glad my Japanese was a little rusty.

IMO the toughest movie scene to watch was from POTC, hope I don't have to say anymore than that. Although in a different way (first b/c you kind of sorta have to have faith in the existence of JC for that to bother you) b/c let's face it there is little entertainment value in that movie.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:18 pm

Geezes Fucking Christ ::doh::
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:34 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Yeah I remember that, it was right after you and Tony hit up High Tension.

That said this scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbRp_WIQ ... re=related <-- NSFW, men, women and children is still and will always be the hardest scene in the history or film.


You may be right e0y. It's tough to argue that there is a harder scene anywhere.

But, for me, the hardest scene will always be this scene from Irreverisble by the certifiably effed up frenchie, Gasper Noe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLaFImyUBSo&feature=related <--Not safe for anywhere and most definitely NSFW. I don't recommend anyone watch it unless they are sure about grisly death on film. It's tough to watch and you can't unsee it.

Mods: Maybe this discussion of Audition, Oldboy, Irreversible and the like should be in a different thread or something. We're pretty far gone from 2010 Oscars.

So yeah, um, HEY! How about that Toy Story 3!?




Great Podcast on disturbing movies:

http://www.adamcarolla.com/TFVBlog/2011 ... ing-films/
bucknutz94
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 11:40 pm
Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:43 pm

Gozu was ok. It's pretty much weird for the sake of being weird though. It does have one of the funniest scenes in the history of film. it involves a total nutjob (rare for a Miike flim, no?) and a dog that is "trained to kill Yakuza bosses". The movie is like an Acid trip.

Ichii was cool, Kakihara seemed like a deep and caring person. A real friendly chap.

The last part of Audition hasn't been rivaled in terms of pure "Oh god don't do that" moments. Maybe the best since the first 25 minutes of Suspiria.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:06 pm

FUDU wrote:IMO the toughest movie scene to watch was from POTC, hope I don't have to say anymore than that.


It's been a while since I've seen Pirates of the Caribbean, so you'll have to refresh my memory.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:07 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
FUDU wrote:IMO the toughest movie scene to watch was from POTC, hope I don't have to say anymore than that.


It's been a while since I've seen Pirates of the Caribbean, so you'll have to refresh my memory.


:lmfao: :lmfao:

Ahhh...Shit. :lmfao:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22662
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Best Picture Oscar Nominees - 2010

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:27 pm

psychomoviecritic wrote:
FUDU wrote:IMO the toughest movie scene to watch was from POTC, hope I don't have to say anymore than that.


It's been a while since I've seen Pirates of the Caribbean, so you'll have to refresh my memory.
.

That whole movie was tough to watch. Nicely done though.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ybot and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: ybot and 1 guest